Why I am no longer a believer anymore...

Superfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Superfanboy
Member since 2008 • 66 Posts

After being "Christian" for so long, I have finally come to the conclusion that the historical Yeshua Bar Josef (Jesus) wasn't really the person Christianity and the Bible makes him out to be. My intention to lay out the reasons why I am now an "atheist.."

1] The Gospels were written down decades after the death of Jesus. This poses a really big problem, as it is even much harder to swallow the truth claims (dubious?) of walking on water, water into wine, resurrection accounts etc at face value or literally. None of the canonical gospels were written, pen in hand, by the original disciples of Jesus but rather later generations of Christians, followers whose ideas of Jesus have developed over time. For example:

- Why aren't many of the miracles Jesus is said to have done in the two dozen epistles and or letters of Paul (most of which were written even earlier than the gospels themselves)? It is obvious these were added to the less than sensational oral traditions about the guy, which were multiplied and later exaggerated. Furthermore, something is quite fishy about superstitious beliefs of common peasant folk and cures with no follow up reports long after the healings.

- Ever compared Mark (the earliest gospel written) with John (the last one)? Night and day difference and more like a tale in growing with embellishments.

- The fact that author of Matthew used 75% of Mark's gospel, almost word for word, clearly indicates that this author was not actually Matthew, since it doesn't make sense that an eyewitness would follow the account of a non-eyewitness so closely. And the final chapter of John makes it perfectly clear that it was not written by John but by people who claimed to be his followers.

- Historical errors abound. Luke says Jesus was born during the census of Quirinius. That was in AD 6-7. Matthew, however, says Jesus was born before the death of Herod the Great. Herod died in 4 BC. That's a ten year discrepancy and a blatant contradiction.

- Jesus was very of vocal to the apostles of what was going to happen, which makes their subsequent confusion a bit hard to understand. Either they were extremely stupid or the NT isn't actually telling us what really happened. It's hard to see why they would be so puzzled by the betrayal, his trial and execution etc if just days before he had explicitly explained that precisely all this was going to happen. Had they forgotten this detailed explanation??

I think it's far more likely that this explanation never happened and that it has been added to the story later. Most likely the betrayal etc was as much a shock to Jesus as it was to everyone else, but his prophecies about it added to the story post facto to make it seem like it was all part of some big redemptive plan. Thus, the idea that he was executed, died and rose again was a belief his followers developed to justify their faith makes a lot more sense now to me than what was taught to me in Sunday school (ie Jesus died for my sins on the cross etc)...

2] All of the OT was written in the post-Exile period, so a hell of a lot of it needs to be taken with a large grain of salt. Looking at things like the story of David in Kings, for example, as history is like taking the story of King Arthur as a reliable history of Fifth Century Britain. And I don't really want to discuss taking Genesis as literal truth quite anymore either.

On a final note, I don't have anything against my old religion. Let them believe whatever they wish. I still admire the history of Christianity and its rise from a obscure Jewish sect...the culture and art it helped bring about from the Medieval ages to the Renaissance...Heck, I thank the monks who helped preserve ancient text...

Thanks for your time and I hope you have learned other views of Jesus. Books I recommend by professional academic, non-Christian historians such as Bart Ehrman or Paula Fredriksen (books in TinyURL preview format):

From Jesus To Christ by P.F

http://preview.tinyurl.com/9neaj5

Misquoting Jesus.. by B.Ehrman

http://preview.tinyurl.com/7k6a23

Jesus the Jew by Geza Vermes

http://preview.tinyurl.com/9xv3ar
btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#2 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts
Interesting, and glad to have you here.  Enough reading can put doubt into basically any chapter of the Bible.
helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#3 helium_flash
Member since 2007 • 9244 Posts

The reason why I don't believe in any religion is because it is so hard to take one seriously and ignore another one.  It is true that if I was born in Iran, I'd be Islamic.  If I had been born in Thailand, I'd be Buddhist.  In India I'd be Hindu.

So either way, no matter what I believe, most of the world is going to hell/the equivolent.  I can't accept that.

Plus, like you said, the Bible was written by men, it is absurd to believe it.

btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 btaylor2404
Very well said HF, I'd only add all the Holy Books are absurd and written by men.
Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 Lansdowne5
Member since 2008 • 6015 Posts

I hope no one takes offense from what I'm about to write, but what is written above really is based on faulty assumptions and a lack of knowledge.

1). You claim the gospels were written decades after Jesus' death. While I know this is true, you have presented absolutely no evidence for this position, therefore anyone without a knowledge of the history of when the gospels were written would have to take your word for it. In regards to the miracles not being mentioned in the Pauline episltes you claimed - "It is obvious these were added to the less than sensational oral traditions about the guy, which were multiplied and later exaggerated." I see no evidence for this bold claim, and how can you be so sure Paul didn't intentionally not include them? Assuming he was under the influence of God, why repeat something that would later be covered on by another apostle's writing? It didn't change the message he was trying to put across at the time.

I'm unaware of this "night and day" difference between Mark and John that you speak of. I've had a quick search around on google but cannot find anything which refers to it. What is the discrepancy?

And is there any evidence which proves there wasn't an earlier consensus? Terutullian, a writer from about AD 200 wrote that there was an earlier consensus during the reign of Herod at around 6BC. 

When you say "the final chapter of John", are you referring specifically to John 21:24? You might want to take a look at the last eight verses of Deuteronomy, Moses was the author, but his death is written of there. It's not inconsistency, it actually has quite an obvious explanation.

You also claim that Jesus clearly explained what was going to happen to Him, and the betrayel and so on to his disciples. A "detailed explanation" even? I'm not sure where you got this idea from, as far as I'm aware, Jesus never gave any detailed explanation of what was going to happen. He explained a couple of times that he would be put to death, but why would that stop the disciples being shocked? A good friend could tell me a hundred times they were going to kill themselves, would that stop me from being confused and shocked when they actually did it?

2. This has no justifaction whatsoever. You basically said, "it's not reliable" end of story. No explanation or anything. There have actually been many archaelogical findings which prove the things spoken of in the Old Testament happened, to the very detail. Noah's Ark is depicted, as is Abraham, Solomon and King David on various items. 

I urge you to take caution when reading books and articles which supposedly disprove biblical accuracy. Discernment is needed with anything like that. :) 

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

I hope no one takes offense from what I'm about to write, but what is written above really is based on faulty assumptions and a lack of knowledge.

I urge you to take caution when reading books and articles which supposedly disprove biblical accuracy. Discernment is needed with anything like that. :) 

Lansdowne5
People actually don't find the Bible accurate, because they do too take caution when they read it. (most of them I want to believe)

As you say discernment is needed. Isn't it needed when reading the Bible? Your claimings that the Bible is accurate and infallible would render any scientific document fallible (if not false), so any discussion based on your above assumption (which you don't mention here but in many other threads) is doomed to fail because of it.

Your advice (in bold letters) is only there hoping that if taken, then the only option would be the accuracy of the Bible, and not so much to make an unbiased discussion. That's just my impression. No offense.
Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Lansdowne5

[QUOTE="Lansdowne5"]

Teenaged
People actually don't find the Bible accurate, because they do too take caution when they read it. (most of them I want to believe)

As you say discernment is needed. Isn't it needed when reading the Bible? Your claimings that the Bible is accurate and infallible would render any scientific document fallible (if not false), so any discussion based on your above assumption (which you don't mention here but in many other threads) is doomed to fail because of it.

Your advice (in bold letters) is only there hoping that if taken, then the only option would be the accuracy of the Bible, and not so much to make an unbiased discussion. That's just my impression. No offense.

The Bible is not a scientific journal, it is a history book, God's special Revelation to Man. But whether 'it' is accurate or not is not relevant to my point.

The reason I wrote that (what you bolded), is that I've come across countless Atheist sites and books which tell outright lies about Scripture, which, without further investigation, the reader generally would accept.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts
[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="Lansdowne5"]

Lansdowne5

The Bible is not a scientific journal, it is a history book, God's special Revelation to Man. But whether 'it' is accurate or not is not relevant to my point.

The reason I wrote that (what you bolded), is that I've come across countless Atheist sites and books which tell outright lies about Scripture, which, without further investigation, the reader generally would accept.

That's true. It has happened to me too. I'm just suggesting that while you give that advice (which off-course is good) maybe the Bible deserves to be treated that way, too. Off course not predetermining that the result would be rejecting it entirely.

EDIT: Can't fix the quote bug, sorry.

danwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 danwallacefan
Member since 2008 • 2413 Posts

1] The Gospels were written down decades after the death of Jesus. This poses a really big problem, as it is even much harder to swallow the truth claims (dubious?) of walking on water, water into wine, resurrection accounts etc at face value or literally. None of the canonical gospels were written, pen in hand, by the original disciples of Jesus but rather later generations of Christians, followers whose ideas of Jesus have developed over time. For example:Superfanboy

This would pose a big problem if someone was not aware of just how oral tradition worked in the ancient world, specifically 1st century Palestine. Now Richard Bauckham has written a great book on this subject called Jesus and the Eyewitnesses, which you can read for free at books.google.com. Now the preservation of oral tradition is very important because it ensures the reliability of the Gospel portrayal of the Historical Jesus, or as Richard Bauckham calls "The Jesus of Testimony".

- Why aren't many of the miracles Jesus is said to have done in the two dozen epistles and or letters of Paul (most of which were written even earlier than the gospels themselves)? Superfanboy

as Eddy and Boyd rightly note, Paul only repeats large portions of the Jesus tradition for Evangelistic purposes. However in the letters of Paul, he is not evangelizing to anyone but rather answering questions posed by Christians in the church.

It is obvious these were added to the less than sensational oral traditions about the guy, which were multiplied and later exaggerated. Superfanboy

Then pray tell, why does Paul clearly say in 1 Corinthians 15 that Jesus rose from the dead? furthremore, Paul repeats an amazing story of Jesus appearing to more than 500 WITNESSES! None of the Gospels contain that. Furthremore, the story of the appearance to the 500 was formally organized into an apostolic tradition less than 5 years after the event in question (and that's at the latest! some scholars think that it was formalized just months after the events). Furthremore, this is of no relavence because as Bauckham successfully argued in chapters 3 and 6, the sources for these miracle claims were very likely the witnesses THEMSELVES.

Furthermore, something is quite fishy about superstitious beliefs of common peasant folk and cures with no follow up reports long after the healings. Superfanboy

Here's the problem: they believed in the resurrection. but EVEN PEASANTS were aware of the fact that dead people stayed dead.

- Ever compared Mark (the earliest gospel written) with John (the last one)? Night and day difference and more like a tale in growing with embellishments. Superfanboy

Here's the problem with these supposed "Bultmannian laws". The Synoptic Gospels drop names. Lemme demonstrate. there are many anonymous characters in the 3 synoptic Gospels. assuming some form of the 2 source hypothesis (Mark wrote first, Matthew and Luke came along later and used Mark and another hypothetical "Q" source), we see they drop names. Not a single anonymous character from Mark gains a name in Matthew or Luke. Furthermore, some named characters become anonymous in Matthew and Luke's Gospels. This is clear evidence against this "legendary embellishment" hypothesis.

- The fact that author of Matthew used 75% of Mark's gospel, almost word for word, clearly indicates that this author was not actually Matthew, since it doesn't make sense that an eyewitness would follow the account of a non-eyewitness so closely. Superfanboy

There are 2 major problems with this
1: The idea that Matthew copied all of his common material with mark *from* mark is untenable. given the clear preference for oral reports in the ancient world, they were more than likely using similar traditions passed on by the eyewitnesses. Since the traditions were clearly controlled traditions, they would not diverge from eachother very much
2: According to Papias, Mark was the interpreter of Peter. This is a big problem because Peter was a member of hte inner circle of disciples (which included James and John the Sons of Zebedee, and Peter). Mark, dictating Peter's words, would have been invaluable for Matthew even though matthew was an eyewitness.

And the final chapter of John makes it perfectly clear that it was not written by John but by people who claimed to be his followers.Superfanboy

No actually John 21 says "this is the disciple who testifies to these things". Now who else, other than the beloved disciple, could that possibly be?

- Historical errors abound. Luke says Jesus was born during the census of Quirinius. That was in AD 6-7. Matthew, however, says Jesus was born before the death of Herod the Great. Herod died in 4 BC. That's a ten year discrepancy and a blatant contradiction.Superfanboy

Here's the problem, or problems I should say: 1: You're giving Josephus too much benefit of the doubt
2: You're forgetting that Quirinius was running military expeditions in Cilicia on the northern border of Syria
3; Luke 1:2 can be translated as "in the days before the Census of Quirinius", no discrepency.

- Jesus was very of vocal to the apostles of what was going to happen, which makes their subsequent confusion a bit hard to understand. Either they were extremely stupid or the NT isn't actually telling us what really happened. It's hard to see why they would be so puzzled by the betrayal, his trial and execution etc if just days before he had explicitly explained that precisely all this was going to happen. Had they forgotten this detailed explanation?? Superfanboy

Jesus never offered a detailed explanation. But surely they would be puzzled, after all, his messiahship was nothing like what they or anyone else expected. NO ONE expected a DEAD messiah!

I think it's far more likely that this explanation never happened and that it has been added to the story later. Superfanboy

Here's the problem: The disciples were an official body of witnesses in the early church. this is really big because they would have exerted a controlling influence on the traditions. Furthremore, again, Bauckham has exhaustively demonstrated that the Gospels are rooted in eyewitness testimony. Finally, Malchus, the dude whose ear was lobbed off by Peter, was the likely source for John when he was telling about the story in the garden of Gethsemane.

Most likely the betrayal etc was as much a shock to Jesus as it was to everyone else, but his prophecies about it added to the story post facto to make it seem like it was all part of some big redemptive plan. Superfanboy

This radical Jesus-Seminar-esque skepticism is simply unwarranted and is based on the a priori presupposition that the Gospel portrayal of Jesus simply cannot possibly be correct. and with this assumption, SURPRISE SURPRISE (!), they end up with a different Jesus.

Thus, the idea that he was executed, died and rose again was a belief his followers developed to justify their faith makes a lot more sense now to me than what was taught to me in Sunday school (ie Jesus died for my sins on the cross etc)... Superfanboy

N.T. Wright in his last chapters of The Resurrection of the Son of God has a sweeping refutation of this idea. When we examine other messianic movements which ended with the deaths of their leader, they usually would shift status onto another family member like it were a dynastic relationship. So if this were the case with Jesus, we should see clear evidence that some christians regarded James as the messiah. but we have NO EVIDENCE that anyone regarded James as the true messiah! As N.T. Wright rightly notes, when your messiah died, you either abandoned any messianic aspirations, or you got yourself a new messiah.

2] All of the OT was written in the post-Exile period, Superfanboy

at the best, at the VERY BEST, all you can prove is that the Old Testament or the Pentateuch was compiled under one cover after the Exile. But there is rather clear evidence that the traditions in Genesis regarding the Patriarchs go back thousands of years, and there's striking evidence that the Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deutoronomy was written somewhere between the 14th and the 12th centuries BCE. For Exodus, we have the Sinai covenant which has clear affinities with Hittite treates of the same era, but not with treates before OR after, we have the tent-tabernacle, which has clear analogues with Egyptian buildings, and we have the mention of Pi-Ramsees, which was only known as Tanis after the 11th Century BC. For Leviticus and Numbers we have the dietary laws. In 11th century canaan, there was a massive 5-fold population increase. in some food refuse piles, there were pork bones, and in others, there were no pork bones. This is consistent with the Levitical laws prohibiting pork consumption NOT being post-exhilic fabrications. For Deutoronomy we have what Kenneth Kitchen calls The Deutoronomic pattern which abbreviated is DPCD which stands for Disobediance, Punishment, Contrition, and Deliverance. This has a clear parallel with an older Egyptian text (I dont have it with me right now though unfortunately). Now for the entire pentateuch, all the prophetic books (Ezekiel, Isaiah, Jeremiah, etc.) contain references to the Penteteuch indicating that the Pentateuch is much older.

all these combined dispell your idea that the OT in its entirety was written in the post-exilic period. They also provide very interesting evidence against the Documentary hypothesis.

so a hell of a lot of it needs to be taken with a large grain of salt. Looking at things like the story of David in Kings, for example, as history is like taking the story of King Arthur as a reliable history of Fifth Century Britain. And I don't really want to discuss taking Genesis as literal truth quite anymore either.Superfanboy

The Story of David and Solomon's empire of course is perfectly consistent with 10th century Canaanite archaeology and is consistent with the written historical record.

On a final note, I don't have anything against my old religion. Let them believe whatever they wish. I still admire the history of Christianity and its rise from a obscure Jewish sect...the culture and art it helped bring about from the Medieval ages to the Renaissance...Heck, I thank the monks who helped preserve ancient text...

Thanks for your time and I hope you have learned other views of Jesus. Books I recommend by professional academic, non-Christian historians such as Bart Ehrman or Paula Fredriksen (books in TinyURL preview format):

From Jesus To Christ by P.F

http://preview.tinyurl.com/9neaj5

Misquoting Jesus.. by B.Ehrman

http://preview.tinyurl.com/7k6a23

Jesus the Jew by Geza Vermes

http://preview.tinyurl.com/9xv3arSuperfanboy

and I would strongly recommend 4 books for you to set you on the path back to faith:
The Resurrection of the Son of God by N.T. Wright
The Jesus Legend By Paul Eddy and Gregory Boyd
Jesus and the Eyewitnesses by Richard Bauckham
On the Reliability of the Old Testament by Kenneth Anderson Kitchen

although I have to give you tremendous respect for not acting like a pompous evangelical ass like so many of the new Atheists. I hope I didn't come off that way though.

btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 btaylor2404
Lans5.  I agree that all the books of the NT were written fairly soon after Jesus's death.  I just do not find the Bible infallible.  I say it's not reliable end or story because I have too many doubts about many, many parts of it.  If I could read the Bible and go ok, I believe that, I would be 100% Christian, same with Islam, which sadly I know much more of how the books/chapters were written.  I take nothing out of a book that disputes the Bible, Torah or Quran.  Their own words do the work for me.  I'll have to have a few hours, kids to tend to, to put up a few verses that show what I mean.  But stories: Noah's Ark, Job, Abraham, Adam & Eve, all of these are major stories I have no faith in at all.
Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Lansdowne5

Lans5.  I agree that all the books of the NT were written fairly soon after Jesus's death.  I just do not find the Bible infallible.  I say it's not reliable end or story because I have too many doubts about many, many parts of it.  If I could read the Bible and go ok, I believe that, I would be 100% Christian, same with Islam, which sadly I know much more of how the books/chapters were written.  I take nothing out of a book that disputes the Bible, Torah or Quran.  Their own words do the work for me.  I'll have to have a few hours, kids to tend to, to put up a few verses that show what I mean.  But stories: Noah's Ark, Job, Abraham, Adam & Eve, all of these are major stories I have no faith in at all.btaylor2404

Do you mean you have no faith in the Bible because it contains what you see as contradictions, etc? Or do you mean you have no faith in it because it goes against current Scientific understanding?

btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 btaylor2404
Both Lans5, and I'm not sure which would be the higher percentage.
Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Lansdowne5

Both Lans5, and I'm not sure which would be the higher percentage.btaylor2404

OK. Thanks for answering all my questions. :) 

lancelot200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#14 lancelot200
Member since 2005 • 61977 Posts

I'm not going to comment on the replies that came after the original post. This is meant for the post in topic.

Everything that you wrote simply means that you have lost hope in Catholicism or any other Christian faith that is devoted to the holy writing. It doesn't stop you from believing in God. Technically, you can still be a believer by finding a better medium for God.