helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#1 helium_flash
Member since 2007 • 9244 Posts

I have been hearing the phrase "New Atheist" for a while now, and it got me thinking...

What the hell is a New Atheist?  Likewise, what is an Old Atheist?

Plus, what woulud you consider yourself?

btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#2 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts
Hell if I know.  I think that "some" (please remember the word some people) Christians believe the influx of a trio of bestselling anti-religion books has somehow converted people to Atheism.  I say they were already there and the books just help people who wouldn't otherwise admit their Atheism.
Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 Bourbons3
Member since 2003 • 24238 Posts
Its probably referring to the recent growth in atheism in the US, largely because of a number of high-profile atheist writings.
Avatar image for MetalGear_Ninty
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 MetalGear_Ninty
Member since 2008 • 6337 Posts

It doesn't mean anything really.

People use the word mainly, I suspect, to make atheism sound like some sort of fad.

danwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 danwallacefan
Member since 2008 • 2413 Posts

someone at Theologyweb named "Seasanctuary" asked the very same question. I'm just going to C&P the responses

Old Atheists are the ones who accept that religion is in our world, and politely try to refute the evidence it is based on. (You would be a good example of this.)

New Atheists usually preach that religion is akin to a mental disease, and must be forcibly removed from the world. (Someone like Richard Dawkins would be a good example of this.)

I think that part of the difference is the different ways of looking at evidence. New Atheists tend to be strong atheists. Old Atheists tend to be weak atheists or agnostics.

New atheists are new and young. Therefore, they are also shiney, and thus, "Bright". The have this designation until the first rutting season. After this, their antlers fall off, their full winter coat grows in, and their musk glands begin producing the odor we all find so offensive.

If you find a new atheist at night in your drive way:

1. Do not get out of your car.
2. Flick your brights on and off until they leave.
3. When exiting your home at night, jingle your keys to warn the new atheist that you are there and are not a threatening predator.

If you are bothered by new atheists, there are a number of steps you can follow to help. First, place all trash into an appropriate lockiong receptacle. Usually, this is just a sliding bold mechanism because the new atheists will not be able to figure out how it works. Also, wash out your recycleables before putting them into the appropriate bin. Lastly, under no circumstances should you ever feed a new atheist, even if young or injured. You should contact the appropriate animal control authorities to have them removed to the forest preserve.

Good luck with your problem,
Guaca.

"New Atheist" is a marketing ploy so that everyone gets sick of them.... then when they bring back Old Atheism they can call it "Atheist ****cTM" and everyone will find it refreshing

danwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 danwallacefan

People use the word mainly, I suspect, to make atheism sound like some sort of fad.

MetalGear_Ninty
Atheism these days, particularly among college and high school students, really is a fad.
btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 btaylor2404

someone at Theologyweb named "Seasanctuary" asked the very same question. I'm just going to C&P the responses

[QUOTE=""]Old Atheists are the ones who accept that religion is in our world, and politely try to refute the evidence it is based on. (You would be a good example of this.)

New Atheists usually preach that religion is akin to a mental disease, and must be forcibly removed from the world. (Someone like Richard Dawkins would be a good example of this.)

I think that part of the difference is the different ways of looking at evidence. New Atheists tend to be strong atheists. Old Atheists tend to be weak atheists or agnostics. danwallacefan

New atheists are new and young. Therefore, they are also shiney, and thus, "Bright". The have this designation until the first rutting season. After this, their antlers fall off, their full winter coat grows in, and their musk glands begin producing the odor we all find so offensive.

3. When exiting your home at night, jingle your keys to warn the new atheist that you are there and are not a threatening predator.

If you are bothered by new atheists, there are a number of steps you can follow to help. First, place all trash into an appropriate lockiong receptacle. Usually, this is just a sliding bold mechanism because the new atheists will not be able to figure out how it works. Also, wash out your recycleables before putting them into the appropriate bin. Lastly, under no circumstances should you ever feed a new atheist, even if young or injured. You should contact the appropriate animal control authorities to have them removed to the forest preserve.

Guaca.

"New Atheist" is a marketing ploy so that everyone gets sick of them.... then when they bring back Old Atheism they can call it "Atheist ****cTM" and everyone will find it refreshing

I would fall into the old category.

MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MetalGear_Ninty

[QUOTE=""]Old Atheists are the ones who accept that religion is in our world, and politely try to refute the evidence it is based on. (You would be a good example of this.)

I think that part of the difference is the different ways of looking at evidence. New Atheists tend to be strong atheists. Old Atheists tend to be weak atheists or agnostics. danwallacefan

Guaca.

http://www.handprint.com/SC/NIE/antich.html#sect62

Scroll right down to the bottom, not really respectful old atheism is it?

''I call Christianity the one great curse, the one great innermost corruption, the one great instinct of revenge, for which no means is poisonous, stealthy, subterranean, small enough-I call it the one immortal blemish of mankind.''

MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MetalGear_Ninty
[QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"]

danwallacefan

Atheism these days, particularly among college and high school students, really is a fad.

How can you say it is a fad? Don't you think that people are atheists because that is what they believe to be true?

btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 btaylor2404
[QUOTE="danwallacefan"][QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"]

MetalGear_Ninty

How can you say it is a fad? Don't you think that people are atheists because that is what they beieve to be true?

MGN, thank you for your post above this one.  To say that Atheism is a fad, particularly among college students is an out and out BS.  Sorry, no other way to put it.  If your going to college, to further your education we can assume you have an ounce of sense.  According to polls 90% or so of Americans are Christian, or whatever the % is, so they are going against everything they were taught to come to an Atheism conclusion is very arrogant and assuming that you know the pulse, and more importantly the IQ and hearts of young adults.  

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts
[QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"][QUOTE="danwallacefan"][QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"]

btaylor2404

How can you say it is a fad? Don't you think that people are atheists because that is what they beieve to be true?

MGN, thank you for your post above this one.  To say that Atheism is a fad, particularly among college students is an out and out BS.  Sorry, no other way to put it.  If your going to college, to further your education we can assume you have an ounce of sense.  According to polls 90% or so of Americans are Christian, or whatever the % is, so they are going against everything they were taught to come to an Atheism conclusion is very arrogant and assuming that you know the pulse, and more importantly the IQ and hearts of young adults.  

Well, I'll say that there's no smoke if there's no fire. Although I don't believe the reason teens like me choose to be atheists is to be rebellious (for the most part at least), even if it is that then it is also true that one wouldn't rebel against something that is not obsolete at all, or not anachronistic at all. There are many things in religion that can irritate you, especially organised religion. Maybe calling themselves atheists is a rebellious thing but the doubt of religion is not based on such grounds. Most people I've talked with do have respectable reasons to say as to why religion is appaling to them. (and certainly not because for instance they cannot have copious amount of sex if they were believers).

Seeing atheism in teens as a rebellious thing is one way for a believer to justify his religion.

btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 btaylor2404

Danwallacefan, sorry if my post was a tad aggressive, you've made some great posts in the AU, I just disagree with that statement so much it pissed me off a bit.  Should have been more diplomatic.

Forerunner-117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#13 Forerunner-117
Member since 2006 • 8800 Posts
Hah, it's Christianity's response to the growing amount of atheists I guess. Pfft, as if atheism is a new thing.
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts
According to seasanctuary's criteria I would classify myself as an old atheist (although I do ascribe to strong rather than weak atheism).
helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 helium_flash
[QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"][QUOTE="danwallacefan"][QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"]

btaylor2404

Plus, if anyone is willing enough to call themselves an atheist, then they aren't a very strong believer in the first place.  Also the percent is 85.
Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 Funky_Llama
Member since 2006 • 18428 Posts

danwallacefan

Prove it.
Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Lansdowne5
Member since 2008 • 6015 Posts

danwallacefan

I agree, from personal experience, it seems as if it is the "in thing". 

Boy one - "You believe in God?"  

Boy two - "Yeah"

Boy one - ":lol: :lol: I'm an atheist. 8)" 

helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 helium_flash

Lansdowne5

Boy two - "Yeah"

Maybe where you live.  There aren't enough atheists in the US for it to become a fad yet.

btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 btaylor2404

Lansdowne5

Boy two - "Yeah"

Lance, do you know more Atheists in real life, or here on the AU?  Would you think of many of us as looking at it as a fad or phase because it's the in thing?  Just wondering.

Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Lansdowne5
[QUOTE="Lansdowne5"][QUOTE="danwallacefan"][QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"]

btaylor2404

Boy two - "Yeah"

Lance, do you know more Atheists in real life, or here on the AU?  Would you think of many of us as looking at it as a fad or phase because it's the in thing?  Just wondering.

In answer to your first question, probably real life.

In answer to the second, no, I can see it's no fad. 

Also, is my name 'Lance' now? :P 

btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 btaylor2404
[QUOTE="btaylor2404"][QUOTE="Lansdowne5"][QUOTE="danwallacefan"][QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"]

Lansdowne5

Boy two - "Yeah"

:) Well I asked the other day, and you didn't say no, you want Lans or Lance? (I like Lans better)  You responded to Lance several times in other posts.  Whatever it is I want to get it correct, like anyone here who follows my blogs, mines Bryan, feel free to use it any time.  Good answer on the 2nd.  Wow, I guess living here in Arkansas makes it hard for me to meet more Atheists.  My boss, 54 years old was stunned one day when it came up, she said I've never met one, like I was some rare species.  That's why I love this union so much, others who think like I do, and those that don't like you who add to the discussion.

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Funky_Llama

:) Well I asked the other day, and you didn't say no, you want Lans or Lance? (I like Lans better)  You responded to Lance several times in other posts.  Whatever it is I want to get it correct, like anyone here who follows my blogs, mines Bryan, feel free to use it any time.  Good answer on the 2nd.  Wow, I guess living here in Arkansas makes it hard for me to meet more Atheists.  My boss, 54 years old was stunned one day when it came up, she said I've never met one, like I was some rare species.  That's why I love this union so much, others who think like I do, and those that don't like you who add to the discussion.

btaylor2404
Wow O_o I only have one friend who's a Christian, by comparison.
Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Lansdowne5
[QUOTE="Lansdowne5"][QUOTE="btaylor2404"][QUOTE="Lansdowne5"][QUOTE="danwallacefan"][QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"]

btaylor2404

Boy two - "Yeah"

Lans is preferable, but so long as I know who you're talking to, I don't really mind. :)

Interesting. I live in England, like Funky, which is supposed to be a "Christian" country. But there seems to be an awfully high percentage of Atheists here. 

btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 btaylor2404
[QUOTE="btaylor2404"]

Funky_Llama

Lans & Funky_Llama, I can't think of a single "true Atheist" friend I have.  My brother is now in the I don't believe in God mode, wasn't before he left for Iraq so it could just be that.

helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 helium_flash
[QUOTE="btaylor2404"]

Funky_Llama

I've met few atheists in the country.  When I lived in South Korea on a US military base, there are tons of atheists at the school though.  Kinda weird.

Anyway, atheism in the US is probably most common in the North West and North East.

Forerunner-117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Forerunner-117
Member since 2006 • 8800 Posts

Wow O_o I only have one friend who's a Christian, by comparison.Funky_Llama

Due to the environment in which I was raised, I pretty much only have Catholic friends to be honest. I had a talk with my closest friend about a month ago though, and apparently he's now a "hopeful" agnostic/atheist. 

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts

You're from England Lans?

Well that will teach me for assuming things, I always had you envisioned an an American fundamentalist.

btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 btaylor2404

Well that will teach me for assuming things, I always had you envisioned an an American fundamentalist.

domatron23

I would have to, Kansas to be exact, but he blurted it out once he was a Brit.

Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Lansdowne5

domatron23

Yes, Cornish to be precise. :) 

cowboymonkey21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 cowboymonkey21
Member since 2007 • 5297 Posts

danwallacefan

No it's not....:roll:
danwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 danwallacefan
[QUOTE="domatron23"]

Lansdowne5

that actually comes as a shock to me.
Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Lansdowne5
[QUOTE="Lansdowne5"][QUOTE="domatron23"]

danwallacefan

that actually comes as a shock to me.

Oh? 

Thessassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 Thessassin
Member since 2007 • 1819 Posts
im pretty sure karl marx called religion the opium of the masses so i dont think the "old atheists" are polite.
helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 helium_flash
im pretty sure karl marx called religion the opium of the masses so i dont think the "old atheists" are polite.Thessassin
I think that old atheists keep more to themselves. They express their beliefs through their writings. Old atheists aren't the type to get on a soapbox.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#35 123625
Member since 2006 • 9035 Posts
I think its a replacement word for Angry atheists, thats just what I call them.
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 MetalGear_Ninty

[QUOTE="Thessassin"]im pretty sure karl marx called religion the opium of the masses so i dont think the "old atheists" are polite.helium_flash
I think that old atheists keep more to themselves. They express their beliefs through their writings. Old atheists aren't the type to get on a soapbox.

No **** Sherlock, seeing as how there has been a revolution in media between the eras of so called 'old-atheists' and 'new-atheists'.

Furthermore, I don't think the likes of Marx, Nietzsche and Mill are the reserved typewhen expressing their opinions.

helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 helium_flash

[QUOTE="helium_flash"][QUOTE="Thessassin"]im pretty sure karl marx called religion the opium of the masses so i dont think the "old atheists" are polite.MetalGear_Ninty

No **** Sherlock, seeing as how there has been a revolution in media between the eras of so called 'old-atheists' and 'new-atheists'.

Furthermore, I don't think the likes of Marx, Nietzsche and Mill are the reserved typewhen expressing their opinions.

Was that really necessary? :|
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 MetalGear_Ninty

[QUOTE="helium_flash"][QUOTE="Thessassin"]im pretty sure karl marx called religion the opium of the masses so i dont think the "old atheists" are polite.helium_flash

Sorry, I wasn't in the best of moods at the time of writing.

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Funky_Llama

[QUOTE="helium_flash"][QUOTE="Thessassin"]im pretty sure karl marx called religion the opium of the masses so i dont think the "old atheists" are polite.helium_flash

My thoughts exactly. :?
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 MetalGear_Ninty
[QUOTE="helium_flash"][QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"]

[QUOTE="helium_flash"][QUOTE="Thessassin"]im pretty sure karl marx called religion the opium of the masses so i dont think the "old atheists" are polite.Funky_Llama

My thoughts exactly. :?

Irony, much.

helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 helium_flash
[QUOTE="helium_flash"][QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"]

[QUOTE="helium_flash"][QUOTE="Thessassin"]im pretty sure karl marx called religion the opium of the masses so i dont think the "old atheists" are polite.MetalGear_Ninty

Sorry, I wasn't in the best of moods at the time of writing.

If that had been in any other thread I wouldn't have been surprised at all. But we are peaceful people here, so I was really shocked. :P
btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 btaylor2404
H_F, we all have our bad days.  I'm sure  MGN was having one, and hope you'll take the apology.  You both are too important to our discussions.
helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 helium_flash

H_F, we all have our bad days.  I'm sure  MGN was having one, and hope you'll take the apology.  You both are too important to our discussions. btaylor2404
I really wasn't sure how to react.  I wasn't sure if it was personal, or if he was trying to get a point across.

But I accept his apology.  It has happened to me many times.

btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 btaylor2404

[QUOTE="btaylor2404"]H_F, we all have our bad days.  I'm sure  MGN was having one, and hope you'll take the apology.  You both are too important to our discussions. helium_flash

I really wasn't sure how to react.  I wasn't sure if it was personal, or if he was trying to get a point across.

That's the great thing about MGN he's very passionate about his replies, especially in this union.  Check him out in OT some times, epic battle with Jointed the other day, MGN killed Jointed.

helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 helium_flash
[QUOTE="helium_flash"]

[QUOTE="btaylor2404"]H_F, we all have our bad days.  I'm sure  MGN was having one, and hope you'll take the apology.  You both are too important to our discussions. btaylor2404

That's the great thing about MGN he's very passionate about his replies, especially in this union.  Check him out in OT some times, epic battle with Jointed the other day, MGN killed Jointed.

Wow.  I nominated Jointed as the best debator in OT.  Not because he is the best debator, but probably the most aggressive.
btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 btaylor2404
[QUOTE="btaylor2404"][QUOTE="helium_flash"]

[QUOTE="btaylor2404"]H_F, we all have our bad days.  I'm sure  MGN was having one, and hope you'll take the apology.  You both are too important to our discussions. helium_flash

Wow.  I nominated Jointed as the best debator in OT.  Not because he is the best debator, but probably the most aggressive.

That he is, and is usually good.  MGN ran circles around Jointed in that one.

helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 helium_flash
[QUOTE="helium_flash"][QUOTE="btaylor2404"][QUOTE="helium_flash"]

[QUOTE="btaylor2404"]H_F, we all have our bad days.  I'm sure  MGN was having one, and hope you'll take the apology.  You both are too important to our discussions. btaylor2404

I would have loved to see that. Jointed is usually a horrible loser :P
Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Funky_Llama

btaylor2404
I don't suppose you'd know how I might go about finding said debate? >_>
Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Funky_Llama

Irony, much.

MetalGear_Ninty
Hey, I'm only abrasive when the post deserves it. :P
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 MetalGear_Ninty

I apologise preofusely to you again H_F, I assure you, it was nothing personal at all, I think you're a good member here, and I dissapointed that I let my anger get the best of me. :)

Thanks Bryan, BTW, I am 100% backing you to be the new leader of the union.

And good point Funky, you are only abrasive against posts that deserve it, and H-F certainly didn't deserve that. I think my debate with Jointed was on a thread about politics, I'll try find it for you

Edit: Here it is:

http://uk.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=26748559&page=0

Now, I think Jointed is a funny user, but he kept o trying to argue with me even after I proved my original statement to be correct.