fat_rob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 fat_rob
Member since 2003 • 22624 Posts

I hope most of you have heard about the Mosque a group of Muslims want to build near Ground Zero. It's a hot button issue that has a lot of politico-types marching, shouting, and prosilatizing about 'MericaTM and FreedomTM. How do yall feel about the Mosque? Should it be built at Ground Zero or not?

Personally, I think it's rather silly that the people who espouse freedom and liberty in one context will turn around and deny those things to Muslims (speaking about the Tea-Party nuts like Palin). The land owners have every legal, and moral, right to build a Mosque on that land (As Eugene Volokh points out nicely). 

Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts

A few facts:

• The mosque's chief proponent, Abdul Rauf, went on 60 Minutes saying that the U.S. was an accessory to 9/11.
  • The name of Park51 was going to be the Coroboda House which refers to the the Muslim conquest of Spanish Christians in the 8th century.
  • Park51 comes at an expected price tag at $100 million and yet the funding hasn't been traced to any source.
  • Polls show that 54% of Americans oppose it, compared to 20% in favor.

Pat Condell has an an interesting video on the subject. I don't believe that a mosque should be built on this planet. However, I also believe it is morally necessary for the government to uphold the freedom of religion, and this is no exception. Write to the leaders of the mosque about your concerns, but if they don't listen, don't think you can go through the government to get your way.

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts
I wrote a blog on that.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#4 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

Islam shouldnt have freedom of speech, expression etc cuz the very fundamental teachings of Islam are against that very same concept so why should it be given? And not just in theory but the anti-freedom ways of Islam are practiced unshamefully in countries like saudi arabia, iran, afghanistan, pakistan etc.

Islam is a very serious threat to freedom and this issue shouldnt be taken lightly. Oh yes I know there are plenty a moderate muslim who doesnt believe literally in the sharia law or atleast doesnt want it to be froced on others. But if you think that the extremist muslims are just a few rotten apples than you are simply denying!!

Islam needs to be regulated in the western world...

Plzhelpmelearn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Plzhelpmelearn
Member since 2010 • 1270 Posts
I'm not up in arms about it, but I think it is in very poor taste. If I could participate in some kind of vote, I would certainly vote against it...
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
They own the rights to the property, they can use it as they please (so long as they don't violate the law, i.e. run a brothel). I don't see why religious discrimination is factoring so highly into this debate. If the people of America value freedom and liberty, then why do they even debate the building of a religious centre for a particular group in one of their cities? Is it because they do not understand these people, and fear because of that ignorance? I think so. Its also probably one of the reasons why Islamic-hate has been on the rise since 11/9/2001; people don't seem willing to understand those different from them, and just assume that since it was Muslims that committed a terrorist act, that all Muslims are terrorists and all of them are going to end up doing it again.

I say build the community centre, build it 100 stories into the sky. They have the freedom to do such a thing as does anyone else from any religious background. Feel free to invite whomever you please into the centre (so long as they are also law abiding citizens), and feel free to worship and express yourself not only within the confines of the walls of the building, but out on the street in a respectful manner with other citizens, who also have the right to express themselves, hopefully in an equally kind and respectful manner.

Anyone who has a problem with this is clearly not a true American. Anyone who values liberty and upholds the ideals of the Constitution will be in full support of a culturally different people building a centre for themselves on property they own the rights to.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#7 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

A few facts:

• The mosque's chief proponent, Abdul Rauf, went on 60 Minutes saying that the U.S. was an accessory to 9/11.
  • The name of Park51 was going to be the Coroboda House which refers to the the Muslim conquest of Spanish Christians in the 8th century.
  • Park51 comes at an expected price tag at $100 million and yet the funding hasn't been traced to any source.
  • Polls show that 54% of Americans oppose it, compared to 20% in favor.

Genetic_Code

As Wikipedia would say, [citation needed]

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts
Well it's almost comparable to how the Westboro Baptist church protest funerals. It's not something illegal or something that they should be barred from doing but it is a bit of a jerk move made in very poor taste.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts

As Wikipedia would say, [citation needed]

GabuEx

The group is headed by Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf. On Sept. 30, 2001, two weeks after the 9/11 attacks, Fiesal told CBS' "60 Minutes," "I wouldn't say that the United States deserved what happened. But the United States' policies were an accessory to the crime that happened."

"For example, most of them [American elites] don't understand that "Cordoba House" is a deliberately insulting term. It refers to Cordoba, Spain – the capital of Muslim conquerors who symbolized their victory over the Christian Spaniards by transforming a church there into the world's third-largest mosque complex."

"Rep. Peter King of New York, the senior Republican on the House Homeland Security Committee, and another ally of the mayor's, called for further inquiries into the finances of the proposed Islamic center.

"We must focus our efforts on obtaining a full investigation of the $100 million mosque. Who is giving the money? Where is it coming from?'" said King."

Rasmussen Reports survey shows 54% oppose, 20% favor, while 26% are unsure about Park51.

I found all of these citations through Wikipedia by the way.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts

I personally think that there are better, more productive buildings that could be built instead of this proposed community center, but I'm not going to lose any sleep at night knowing that there's a mosque a few blocks away from Ground Zero. 

And for those that are interested, Christopher Hitchens has a good article about this that I think puts the controversy in perspective. 

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 foxhound_fox
So the proverbial "finger" has been raised: Link

I for one am most interested in the reaction from the Muslim community proposing this centre.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GabuEx

The group is headed by Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf. On Sept. 30, 2001, two weeks after the 9/11 attacks, Fiesal told CBS' "60 Minutes," "I wouldn't say that the United States deserved what happened. But the United States' policies were an accessory to the crime that happened."

Genetic_Code

Honestly?  He's basically right.  The idea that "they hate us for our freedom" is one of the most mind-numbing things Bush ever said. 

"For example, most of them [American elites] don't understand that "Cordoba House" is a deliberately insulting term. It refers to Cordoba, Spain – the capital of Muslim conquerors who symbolized their victory over the Christian Spaniards by transforming a church there into the world's third-largest mosque complex."

Genetic_Code

A Fox News editorial as a source?  Really?

Everything I can find says that the name was chosen for its significance that Muslims, Jews, and Christians lived there together, not that it was conquered by Muslims.  By all accounts, the city was a major cultural center.

"Rep. Peter King of New York, the senior Republican on the House Homeland Security Committee, and another ally of the mayor's, called for further inquiries into the finances of the proposed Islamic center.

"We must focus our efforts on obtaining a full investigation of the $100 million mosque. Who is giving the money? Where is it coming from?'" said King."

Genetic_Code

The fact that a Republican Congressman is putting up a fine bit of political theater is a rather far cry away from the assertion you're using that to support.

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 domatron23

So the proverbial "finger" has been raised: Link

I for one am most interested in the reaction from the Muslim community proposing this centre.foxhound_fox

Haha that is awesome. I'd love to see that happen if the mosque does get built.

SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#14 SpinoRaptor24
Member since 2008 • 10316 Posts

I don't see what the big deal is. I mean, it's not like it's the only Mosque built in America.

As Muslims we will go there to practice our beliefs, not build missiles and plan terrorist attacks.

SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SpinoRaptor24

Islam shouldnt have freedom of speech, expression etc cuz the very fundamental teachings of Islam are against that very same concept so why should it be given? And not just in theory but the anti-freedom ways of Islam are practiced unshamefully in countries like saudi arabia, iran, afghanistan, pakistan etc.

Islam is a very serious threat to freedom and this issue shouldnt be taken lightly. Oh yes I know there are plenty a moderate muslim who doesnt believe literally in the sharia law or atleast doesnt want it to be froced on others. But if you think that the extremist muslims are just a few rotten apples than you are simply denying!!

Islam needs to be regulated in the western world...

Gambler_3

Whoa slow down there. First you're trying insinuate that Saudia Arabia, Iran, Pakistan etc follow Islamic Shar'iah completely. They mostly don't. Some laws are from Islam, others they have created themselves. 

And yes, I do believe that the extremists are few and far between. It's just that they seem to get the most attention from the media when it comes to issues such as this.

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 domatron23

I don't see what the big deal is. I mean, it's not like it's the only Mosque built in America.

As Muslims we will go there to practice our beliefs, not build missiles and plan terrorist attacks.

SpinoRaptor24

Well the pertinent factor here is its proximity to ground zero. What's your opinion on that?

SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SpinoRaptor24
[QUOTE="SpinoRaptor24"]

domatron23

Well the pertinent factor here is its proximity to ground zero. What's your opinion on that?

You're going to resent it over what a few extremist did? I mean, Americans seem to have no problem marching into Iraq after tearing it to pieces and preaching Christianity there, why shouldn't a Mosque be built near Ground Zero?

In fact, we still don't have solid evidence that it was Muslims who did. According to sources, the Pentagon is so well guarded that not even a bird can fly over it, yet they somehow failed to spot a Boeing 707 heading towards it?

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 domatron23
[QUOTE="domatron23"][QUOTE="SpinoRaptor24"]

SpinoRaptor24

You're going to resent it over what a few extremist did?

I should just quickly point out that I'm not an American, I'm from New Zealand. I don't have any personal resentment against Muslims for 9/11 but I understand that bringing up Islam in relation to the attacks on the twin towers is a very touchy issue for Americans due to the underlying subject of terrorism that links the two together.

My distaste comes about because building a mosque near ground zero only serves to inflame that touchiness. The people planning it know that but they are pushing ahead anyway, hence my opposition to it.

I mean, Americans seem to have no problem marching into Iraq after tearing it to pieces and preaching Christianity there, why shouldn't a Mosque be built near Ground Zero?SpinoRaptor24

I'm certainly not a proponent of militaristic evangelism either. Devastating someone's country and then marching in your religious institution is just a bad idea no matter who does it. If you think that the Americans are acting improperly in this respect why would you think the same about the people building the mosque?

In fact, we still don't have solid evidence that it was Muslims who did. According to sources, the Pentagon is so well guarded that not even a bird can fly over it, yet they somehow failed to spot a Boeing 707 heading towards it?

SpinoRaptor24

At this point I'm going to have to admit that I am very ignorant on the issue of who was responsible for what. I just flat out haven't done the research so I'm not going to make any strong claims here. I'm very wary of the sort of conspiracy theory that paints the attack on the pentagon as self-inflicted though.

Nevertheless I was reading ghoklebutter's blog on this subject recently and I thought he made a good point. He said that even if people are wrong and irrational to blame the 9/11 attacks on Islam their reactions to the mosque must nevertheless be considered. Basically because there's such a negative emotional link between Islam and the 9/11 attacks the mosque is a bad idea.

Avatar image for itsTolkien_time
itsTolkien_time

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19 itsTolkien_time
Member since 2009 • 2295 Posts

Well I think if they just get along with it and build the public attention will go away after awhile and all will be as usual. It's just the media spreading the information that results in such flaming over the issue. I bet plenty of people will forget that it is even there.

I don't think it's proximity to ground zero matters at all. (Personally, 9/11 doesn't mean much to me) The mosque is ironic at best, but only slightly so. There is nothing against it legally. NYC is a large and diverse town that needs facilities for ALL its people.

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts
[QUOTE="domatron23"][QUOTE="SpinoRaptor24"]

SpinoRaptor24

You're going to resent it over what a few extremist did? I mean, Americans seem to have no problem marching into Iraq after tearing it to pieces and preaching Christianity there, why shouldn't a Mosque be built near Ground Zero?

I agree that only a handful of extremists were  responsible, and that most Muslims had nothing to do with those attacks. People shouldn't think otherwise, but they do. That's why I believe constructing this mosque, however good the intention is, will not bode well with people irrationally blaming Islam for 9/11. I think some people have even threatened to blow up the mosque once it is constructed. Muslims need not create unecessary conflict, otherwise they aren't going to convince those very same people that Islam "means peace".

Would it really hurt if it was built at a different location? 

Avatar image for itsTolkien_time
itsTolkien_time

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#21 itsTolkien_time
Member since 2009 • 2295 Posts
[QUOTE="SpinoRaptor24"][QUOTE="domatron23"][QUOTE="SpinoRaptor24"]

ghoklebutter

I agree that only a handful of extremists were  responsible, and that most Muslims had nothing to do with those attacks. People shouldn't think otherwise, but they do. That's why I believe constructing this mosque, however good the intention is, will not bode well with people irrationally blaming Islam for 9/11. I think some people have even threatened to blow up the mosque once it is constructed. Muslims need not create unecessary conflict, otherwise they aren't going to convince those very same people that Islam "means peace".

Would it really hurt if it was built at a different location? 

It probably wouldn't hurt to build it elsewhere, if they have other land available in the city for use. I am unaware if they do or don't.

This is, obviously, a democratic nation, and if it is true that a large number of people oppose this construction, then it should not take place. My own post was just my personal opinion, in a country like this you have to cater to as many people as possible.

There always comes a point where you must stop catering to idiots, the question is: Is this that point?

I agree with ghoklebutter that it isn't. If it can be built elsewhere then by all means it must be built elsewhere. This one mosque is too small to risk conflict over.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GabuEx

By the way, while we're talking about public opinion, here's a rather interesting poll, or at least a particular piece of the demographic breakdown:

"Do you favor or oppose the building of an Islamic community center and prayer space two blocks from the site of the World Trade Center?"

Bronx - 30% favor, 53% oppose, 16% unsure
Brooklyn - 31% favor, 61% oppose, 9% unsure
Manhattan - 53% favor, 31% oppose, 16% unsure
Queens and Staten Island - 28% favor, 60% oppose, 12% unsure 

It would appear that the people who actually live there are, interestingly enough, the only group not to oppose the building.

michaelP4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 michaelP4
Member since 2004 • 16681 Posts
It's hard to form a solid stance on this issue. Personally, I feel that the mosque should not be built to respect the substantial number of people opposing it, but I do still believe in the freedom of the individual to do what they want, as long as they abide by the law. Seeing the poll Gabu posted, further confuses this issue for me. :?
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 foxhound_fox
After watching some debate on CNN tonight regarding this issue (Anderson Cooper mostly, it passes the time at work), I have only this to say:

Islam didn't attack the World Trade Center. Terrorists did.
Avatar image for RationalAtheist
RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 RationalAtheist
Member since 2007 • 4428 Posts

After watching some debate on CNN tonight regarding this issue (Anderson Cooper mostly, it passes the time at work), I have only this to say:

Islam didn't attack the World Trade Center. Terrorists did.foxhound_fox

Weren't they Islamic?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 foxhound_fox
Weren't they Islamic?RationalAtheist

But they were people using a corrupted version of the faith and convincing themselves that it was the right thing. People seem to be construing their use of Islam as an attack by Islam, not those specific terrorists, which is being reflected in this anti-campaigning.

They could have been of any belief and still attacked the people in those towers.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Gambler_3

Whoa slow down there. First you're trying insinuate that Saudia Arabia, Iran, Pakistan etc follow Islamic Shar'iah completely. They mostly don't. Some laws are from Islam, others they have created themselves. 

SpinoRaptor24
No I wasnt saying they follow it "completely", that would be disaster lol. You know what with all the hand cutting and stoning to death, good thing they did "create" some of the laws to replace them.
Avatar image for RationalAtheist
RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 RationalAtheist
Member since 2007 • 4428 Posts

[QUOTE="RationalAtheist"]Weren't they Islamic?foxhound_fox

But they were people using a corrupted version of the faith and convincing themselves that it was the right thing. People seem to be construing their use of Islam as an attack by Islam, not those specific terrorists, which is being reflected in this anti-campaigning.

They could have been of any belief and still attacked the people in those towers.

If they were Mormons, for example, I can see exactly the same sort of fuss being made about building a temple there too.

What version of any faith isn't corrupt? The danger I see in Islam is the link between the faith and law. Islamic countries are mostly Sharia states and autocracies, with no democracy or ability to change outside of war or revolution. Such beliefs are implicit in the faith. I think such a blinkered climate distorts understanding and fosters hatred that can erupt into martyrdom and savegery, as it frequently does these days. I think Pat Condell's right - how long should you tolerate intolerance?

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Gambler_3

[QUOTE="RationalAtheist"]Weren't they Islamic?foxhound_fox

How do you know it's the "corrupted" version of Islam? What is the true version then and who decides it's truth?

Islamic jihad is one of the most pathetic ideoligies ever concieved off in the history of humanity and everyone connected to it's origins needs to be thourougly critcized. Jihad is part of Islam you cant run away from this, there is no case of a few rotten apples here...

fat_rob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 fat_rob
Member since 2003 • 22624 Posts
Pres Obama is now vocally supporting the Mosque. I don't like Obama, him and Bush are peas in a pod to me, but I'm glad he made this decision. Dude's gonna catch hell for it though . . . already is.