Frattracide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Frattracide
Member since 2005 • 5395 Posts

If you would like to discuss the debate between 12thArcane and Domatron23 on the question "Does the omnipotence paradox imply God's non-existence?" Please do so here

This debate is currently: CLOSED 

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#2 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

I'm quite impressed by the perception domatron showed when he recognized that if God truly can do anything, then he can make it so that his nonexistence is not implied by the omnipotence paradox.  I'm interested to see how 12thArcane replies to that; I've actually never thought about that angle before. 

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
I'm just completely lost.
12thArcane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 12thArcane
Member since 2011 • 102 Posts

I'm just completely lost.foxhound_fox

xD, maybe I didn't use proper grammar... I must confess English is not my native language and most of what I know is self-taught... But I bet that should be easy to tell by now... If I made a mistake, or failed to explain myself correctly, please let me know...

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Oh, your English is fine... its just I'm completely lost on the subject matter. I've never been well-versed in mathematical philosophy.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GabuEx

Oh, your English is fine... its just I'm completely lost on the subject matter. I've never been well-versed in mathematical philosophy.foxhound_fox

Which part are you confused on? 

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts

I have my response lined up, but in trying to post it I got this

Your query string value is not valid [en|en].

*rages*

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 domatron23
Ah, okay, I've got it working. I had to unlink two of the sources I used. I'm going to edit my post and try to re-insert them.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GabuEx

Ah, okay, I've got it working. I had to unlink two of the sources I used. I'm going to edit my post and try to re-insert them.domatron23

I always use TinyURL when GameSpot's telling me it won't accept a URL I'm trying to link.

12thArcane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 12thArcane
I think this debate is close to an end... Or maybe not ;}... I know my side looks like the losing side, but although I always seem to be at the back of the race, it doesn't mean I can't win the race... I better take my time this time...
12thArcane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 12thArcane
My rebuttal is up =}... I think it surpassed the words-limit just a little... I should have requested permission... If this is a problem let me know...
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 domatron23
Dang, I missed the week long time limit by four hours. Sorry for the tardiness guys. I've offered a concession which might wrap up the debate if 12thArcane agrees with what I've said. If he doesn't then I'll either have to be disqualified or the moderator will have to bend the rules a little to keep me in the debate.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GabuEx

Dang, I missed the week long time limit by four hours. Sorry for the tardiness guys. I've offered a concession which might wrap up the debate if 12thArcane agrees with what I've said. If he doesn't then I'll either have to be disqualified or the moderator will have to bend the rules a little to keep me in the debate.domatron23

Given the state of activity in this union, I kind of don't think we need to be too stringent with rules. :P 

Frattracide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Frattracide
Yeah, we'll let it ride for a little bit as long as Arcane is ok with it.
12thArcane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 12thArcane
I'm Ok with it, no prob...
Frattracide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Frattracide

I wanted to do this a long time ago but I didn't

Moderator's notes:

This was our first formalized debate and I am really glad I got to moderate because I wanted to get a feel for the flow of discussion.

Firstly I will note that I was not very strict in rule enforcement. Both participants broke word count limits and both discussed the debate while it was still ongoing. However, I dont feel that these infringements impeded the debate in any way. I think our format is a good standard but, ultimately the strictness of rule enforcement should be left up to the moderator.

I will also note that, in one area, my laxness (If that is a word) resulted in the potential for unfair treatment towards one of the participants. Towards the end of the debate Dom exceeded the one week rule, but we elected to continue. After a few posts, Arcane exceed the limit as well. However I didn't extend the same courtesy to him, instead of asking if he wanted to continue, I just ended the debate. The discussion had run its course by this point but, in the interest of fair play, I should have asked. Lesson learned on my part.         

12thArcane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 12thArcane

I wanted to do this a long time ago but I didn't

Moderator's notes:

This was our first formalized debate and I am really glad I got to moderate because I wanted to get a feel for the flow of discussion.

Firstly I will note that I was not very strict in rule enforcement. Both participants broke word count limits and both discussed the debate while it was still ongoing. However, I dont feel that these infringements impeded the debate in any way. I think our format is a good standard but, ultimately the strictness of rule enforcement should be left up to the moderator.

I will also note that, in one area, my laxness (If that is a word) resulted in the potential for unfair treatment towards one of the participants. Towards the end of the debate Dom exceeded the one week rule, but we elected to continue. After a few posts, Arcane exceed the limit as well. However I didn't extend the same courtesy to him, instead of asking if he wanted to continue, I just ended the debate. The discussion had run its course by this point but, in the interest of fair play, I should have asked. Lesson learned on my part.Frattracide

I suggest a higher word limit for the next time. Perhaps 800 words for opening and 600 afterwards...

About the closure of the debate, I didn't feel treated unfairly. It was all according to the moderator's rules, the first time the three of us agreed to continue, the debate seemed far from concluding at that point. I think the second decision was valid and that it's up to the moderator to decide according to what he/she thinks is right depending on the debate situation...