Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Dr_AlanGrant
Member since 2009 • 83 Posts

Link

What are your thoughts?

Personally, I think a better idea would have been to teach the same things such as scepticism, philosophy, biology, etc., but  just leave any sort of religion or superstition out of it. I just think the invisible unicorn challenge and such is not necessary when trying to accomplish what the camp seems to want to achieve. 

Avatar image for MetalGear_Ninty
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 MetalGear_Ninty
Member since 2008 • 6337 Posts

I really don't like this -- isn't Dawkins suppossed to be against indoctrination and this sort of dogmatic institutionalism?

This is an absolute farce, which seems to go against the core ideals of any supposed free thinkers.

Dr_AlanGrant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Dr_AlanGrant
Member since 2009 • 83 Posts

I found the link to camp: http://www.camp-quest.org.uk/

and supposely it's based off a camp here in the US.

Here is a response to the articles on the camp which is rather interesting...

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

I really don't like this -- isn't Dawkins suppossed to be against indoctrination and this sort of dogmatic institutionalism?

This is an absolute farce, which seems to go against the core ideals of any supposed free thinkers.

MetalGear_Ninty

According to the camp's site Dawkins has no personal involvement with the camp. It's his organization that made a single donation to the camp. Also, for the most part the camp seems to be more of a critical thinking skills workshop than anything else. That said I'm still a bit put-off about the idea since, like you, I'm not a fan of indoctrination.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts
I'm not a fan of indoctrination.gameguy6700
Likewise. A camp that teaches critical thinking and trust in one's own judgment, I'd back that any day. Indoctrination... no.
Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 Bourbons3
Member since 2003 • 24238 Posts
Atheism camp is no better than Christian camp. They should just have secular camps, and be done with it.
Avatar image for MetalGear_Ninty
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MetalGear_Ninty
Member since 2008 • 6337 Posts
[QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"]

gameguy6700

According to the camp's site Dawkins has no personal involvement with the camp. It's his organization that made a single donation to the camp. Also, for the most part the camp seems to be more of a critical thinking skills workshop than anything else. That said I'm still a bit put-off about the idea since, like you, I'm not a fan of indoctrination.

Anyway, after reading the link, I'm just glad Dawkins is nowhere near as involved as was firsst made out by the misleading Times article.
Avatar image for bean-with-bacon
bean-with-bacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 bean-with-bacon
Member since 2008 • 2134 Posts

Not fond of the name, just seems a little odd but otherwise a camp teaching free thinking, scepticism , critical analysis, scientific enquiry etc is great, regardless of what claims they are applying those skills too.

Ingenemployee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Ingenemployee
Member since 2007 • 2307 Posts
Its just wrong, its no better that Jesus Camp.
BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 BumFluff122
Member since 2004 • 14853 Posts
I don't think Camp quest is similar to theistic camps or Jesus camps in any way. The people in Jesus camp tell you how to think, such as Harry Potter being a warlock and would be put to death in Jesus's time and therefor shouldn't be watched or enjoyed, whereas Camp quest is more about teaching the children to think for themselves.
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts

Hmm this raises an eyebrow for me. It doesn't seem quite like indoctrination but still... *raises eyebrow*.

Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 Lansdowne5
Member since 2008 • 6015 Posts
I seem to remember something about a certain evolutionary biologist condemning camps that indoctrinate children not long ago.... Regardless of whether he is involved in the running of this, he provided the money to make it possible.
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts
I seem to remember something about a certain evolutionary biologist condemning camps that indoctrinate children not long ago.... Regardless of whether he is involved in the running of this, he provided the money to make it possible. Lansdowne5
This doesn't look like open indoctrination to me... quite the opposite, actually. I found Sunday school more indoctrinating than this camp claims to be.
Avatar image for itsTolkien_time
itsTolkien_time

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14 itsTolkien_time
Member since 2009 • 2295 Posts
I think that a camp where they simply teach children to be tolerant would suffice...
0Tyler0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 0Tyler0
Member since 2008 • 2602 Posts
It'd be fun to go
woonsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 woonsa
Member since 2008 • 6322 Posts
lol at the idea.
Mtngranek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#17 Mtngranek
Member since 2009 • 403 Posts

Why does camp always have to be about anything? Cant kids just go to camp to have fun? I went to Boy Scout camp once. I was too busy shooting .22 rifles, running around the woods with my friends, trying to get out of swimming, and watching my friend almost slice his finger off. Can't we just forget about the bible, rational thinking, and everything else...and just try to have fun?

However, if your idea of fun is reading bible scripture and praying to god, then by all means go ahead and go to bible camp. It would just be nice to have the option to go to a camp where they don't try to teach you crap. We get enough of that in school.