Yusuf Mehdi on the original Xbox One policies

• 109 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178845 Posts

@kuu2 said:

TC must think Steam is terrible.

\thread

Some people prefer discs.

/thread

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

Steam has never shut you down for not checking in every 24 hours.

Not a single sacrifice has been made and there's nothing which still can't be implemented with the "new" policies.

I'm baffled that people believe this PR nonsense, how does not being forced to be online restrict any functionality at all? It's not like you could'nt be given the choice to partake...

Edit:

Seriously.. Lemmings are the new Sheep, Sheep are currently Lemmings and Cows need a new title.

Effec_Tor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#53 Effec_Tor
Member since 2014 • 914 Posts

50GB plus games will seriously hinder digital sales.

CrashNBurn281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 CrashNBurn281
Member since 2014 • 1574 Posts

I do not think the vision is wrong; however I think it was introduced at the wrong time. Infrastructure is not where it needs to be for this kind of system to work for everyone out of the gate.

An all digital future is inevitable, timing is the key. The idea that Microsoft was toying with the idea of not including a bluray drive with the XBO is asinine. All in due time, no need to rush.

RossRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 RossRichard
Member since 2007 • 3738 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

Nothing stopping them from doing it. Most places where these games are affordable have plenty of ISP's willing to provide un-capped services.

Come live near me then. I am stuck with a 3meg connection. It is the best I can get, since my ISP has a monopoly on the surrounding area. Believe me, I would love to get a 1gig fiber connection, but it isn't happening anytime soon.

Avatar image for littlestreakier
littlestreakier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 littlestreakier
Member since 2004 • 2950 Posts

@TheEroica: eh, IMO Nintendo won.

Halo Master Chief Collection kind of makes me want to buy a XB1 though...

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#58  Edited By donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

I would have greatly preferred the original vision. I'm primarily a Steam gamer, and what Microsoft envisioned made a lot of sense. I would have felt sorry for soldiers and rural denizens that couldn't have owned it, but I still think it was the better console. The only problem they needed to solve was adding an 'offline mode' like Steam.

SambaLele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 SambaLele
Member since 2004 • 5552 Posts

I think where we missed was that we didn’t give customers the choice if they wanted to sell or pass on their disc.

Wow, can't believe he just admitted that.

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 shawn30
Member since 2006 • 4409 Posts

I think it was the right vision,” says [Chief of Marketing and Strategy Yusuf ] Mehdi. “I think a digital future for games is the way to go. I think where we missed was that we didn’t give customers the choice if they wanted to sell or pass on their disc. If we had more dialogue with our fans, we would have heard more loud and clear that this was important and we would have delivered that future. If we had done that maybe we would have gotten to a better place. Who knows, maybe fans would have said no, let’s skip the disc and give me those features.”

I absolutely, 1000% agree with this statement. CHOICE of being able to enjoy/use/trade/resale the disc while being able to try Always Online would have made a gigantic difference. That was a huge fail on MS part. Choice, period, would have been huge.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

@sts106mat said:

@misterpmedia said:

@kingtito said:

No you idiot, just because it's SWs doesn't mean you have to obsess over everything the competition does. Just in case you haven't noticed (you're a cow so I'm sure you haven't) not everyone acts the way you and your fellow cows do.

No wonder you cows are considered the jokes of SWs. Yes kid, I'm calling you a joke.

holy ****, the irony. You even said it your damn comment! It's system wars, everything any company does gets posted it. God damn hypocrite. You are the bottom of the bottom of lems who doesn't even understand this place one bit. No wonder you are constantly ridiculed for being a bottom lem and treated as such. There are places for lems like you.

Damage control less.

He is right though, some cows (yourself included) are more obssessed with Microsoft and xbox than their own console.

you can tell, because they post anti xbox threads / posts more than they promote sony stuff here.

This guy get's it. Idiot cows don't but that's just par for the course.

I guess in his mind SWs == being obsessed with the opposition and posting more about them than your own console of choice.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#63 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

Funny to see MS change their whole vision of the Xbone after getting knocked the **** out at 2013 E3. To top it all off they even dropped Kinect(lol), the joke of the gaming industry.

Thanks SONY for righting MS's wrongs.

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 5882 Posts

All they needed was a clearer explanation and an offline mode (like steam) and it would have been a winner. I blame Sony for losing their balls.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#65 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

i dont see how those "great features" even needed drm. still could have them

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#66  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

A primarily digital future for games and a lot of online features, is something entirely different than a forced digital-only future with always-online requirements.
The idea of not being able to resell your games, is only a miniscule portion of the problems with their view.

And the fact that he downplays these problems shows that MS has not let go of their totalitarian vision at all, but just postponed it because we aren't 'ready' yet.

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 BeardMaster
Member since 2012 • 1686 Posts

To be honest I almost wish MS stuck with their original plan. The problem is they cant really make digital sales competitive with physical copies because they are afraid of the backlash from retailers, so they devised a scheme that made the move without pissing off retailers by combining digital sales with physical copies.

The problem is it was drastic and unproven and I was a fairly large critic myself. I would like to see them bring back their initial plan and put boxed copies on shelves that say "digital version" along side traditional retail copies and see if the model can prove viable.

fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#68 fend_oblivion
Member since 2006 • 6760 Posts

@RossRichard said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Nothing stopping them from doing it. Most places where these games are affordable have plenty of ISP's willing to provide un-capped services.

Come live near me then. I am stuck with a 3meg connection. It is the best I can get, since my ISP has a monopoly on the surrounding area. Believe me, I would love to get a 1gig fiber connection, but it isn't happening anytime soon.

At least you have a 3 meg connection. With my stupid connection, I get a max download speed of 60 kBps. And I'm paying a premium for it.

RossRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By RossRichard
Member since 2007 • 3738 Posts

@fend_oblivion said:

@RossRichard said:

@foxhound_fox said:

At least you have a 3 meg connection. With my stupid connection, I get a max download speed of 60 kBps. And I'm paying a premium for it.

I feel you. Believe me, we are on the same side on this issue.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

@kingtito said:

I guess in his mind SWs == being obsessed with the opposition and posting more about them than your own console of choice.

Why would I post stuff about own console when I have you lems to do it for me? Do I say you're all obsessed? No. Damage control some more. You lems are extremely sensitive it's amazing. lol. Leave MS alone! QQ. This is one shining example of people getting too invested in an internet forum. So glad I've never had to act like a cry baby on the internet. Bottom Baby Lem. Grow up.

B4X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By B4X
Member since 2014 • 5660 Posts

@Heil68 said:

Funny to see MS change their whole vision of the Xbone after getting knocked the **** out at 2013 E3. To top it all off they even dropped Kinect(lol), the joke of the gaming industry.

Thanks SONY for righting MS's wrongs.

That would be Gamers. Sony had nothing to do with it. Maybe a little.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 misterpmedia

@sts106mat said:

the basis & facts are clear....you (and others) spend more time talking about MS and Xbox, despite not owning or playing their games. than you do talking about Sony / PS4 games

When you are spending your spare time, searching the net for stories / reasons to bash something you don't own or want, you are a sad fanboy

/end

stopped reading there. Those words and your username directly conflict so I'll assume the rest is hot lemmy nonsense and hurt feelings.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 kingtito

@misterpmedia said:

@kingtito said:

Why would I post stuff about own console when I have you lems to do it for me? Do I say you're all obsessed? No. Damage control some more. You lems are extremely sensitive it's amazing. lol. Leave MS alone! QQ. This is one shining example of people getting too invested in an internet forum. So glad I've never had to act like a cry baby on the internet. Bottom Baby Lem. Grow up.

How could you say I'm obsessed when I don't run around posting about the PS4 all day long. You don't see me creating thread after thread with any negative news regarding the PS4 or the PS3 during the last gen. Don't think you could even remotely say I'm obsessed.

Looks like a mini meltdown hahahaha. Did I strike a nerve? Calm down dude I'm just passing the time and having fun. You say I'm the serious one hahaha

B4X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By B4X

@misterpmedia said:

@sts106mat said:

the basis & facts are clear....you (and others) spend more time talking about MS and Xbox, despite not owning or playing their games. than you do talking about Sony / PS4 games

When you are spending your spare time, searching the net for stories / reasons to bash something you don't own or want, you are a sad fanboy

/end

stopped reading there. Those words and your username directly conflict so I'll assume the rest is hot lemmy nonsense and hurt feelings.

How do you consider this ownage of anything? explain please.

This is win no matter how you spin it.

He's a slimy POS that needs go hide in a Microsoft fallout shelter somewhere.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

@MlauTheDaft said:

Not a single sacrifice has been made and there's nothing which still can't be implemented with the "new" policies.

I'm baffled that people believe this PR nonsense, how does not being forced to be online restrict any functionality at all? It's not like you could'nt be given the choice to partake...

Edit:

Seriously.. Lemmings are the new Sheep, Sheep are currently Lemmings and Cows need a new title.

It restricts the XOne from becoming a proper digital console.

Their original vision was effectively steam. No ability to rent. No ability to sell or buy used games (however they did say they were working on a digitial marketplace where you could see and buy preowned)

There wouldn't have been the confusion and backlash if MS had've just said **** it, we aren't even sticking a disc drive in there. But I understand why they did because for a lot of people downloading 50GB games is still too much.

And thats where the confusing stemmed from. Allowing consumers to save games from discs, thus leading to the need for that online checkin to prevent the system be abused.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

He's right, the future is digital.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By misterpmedia

@kingtito said:

How could you say I'm obsessed when I don't run around posting about the PS4 all day long. You don't see me creating thread after thread with any negative news regarding the PS4 or the PS3 during the last gen. Don't think you could even remotely say I'm obsessed.

Looks like a mini meltdown hahahaha. Did I strike a nerve? Calm down dude I'm just passing the time and having fun. You say I'm the serious one hahaha

How can I have a mini meltdown when you don't even know the definition of an obsession, it's more of a pain to teach you the definition of simple concepts. Little preview there by not knowing what a melt down is, let alone a mini one.

Damage control some more, I'm starting to think you may be obsessed with me personally...and I'm definitely not flattered.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 misterpmedia

@b4x said:

Is what ownage?

B4X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By B4X

@misterpmedia said:

@b4x said:

Is what ownage?

This thread? This guy is a blight on gaming, everyone knows this with half a brain.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 kingtito

@misterpmedia said:

@kingtito said:

How can I have a mini meltdown when you don't even know the definition of an obsession, it's more of a pain to teach you the definition of simple concepts. Little preview there by not knowing what a melt down is, let alone a mini one.

Damage control some more, I'm starting to think you may be obsessed with me personally...and I'm definitely not flattered.

Looked like a mini meltdown to me. You're the very definition of obsessed son. Always obsessing over anything MS does. You even obsess when they don't do anything.

What exactly would I be DCing?

You shouldn't be flattered. I put you and El Tormented in the same boat. Definitely not a good place to be.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 misterpmedia

@kingtito said:

Looked like a mini meltdown to me.You're the very definition of obsessed son. Always obsessing over anything MS does. You even obsess when they don't do anything.

You shouldn't be flattered. I put you and El Tormented in the same boat. Definitely not a good place to be.

Wrong.....wrong....should I continue reading on?

Convince me.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By misterpmedia

@b4x said:

This thread? This guy is a blight on gaming, everyone knows this with half a brain.

You can take what you want from the thread at your leisure. The joys of choice and subjectivity.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 kingtito

@misterpmedia said:

@kingtito said:

Looked like a mini meltdown to me.You're the very definition of obsessed son. Always obsessing over anything MS does. You even obsess when they don't do anything.

Wrong.....wrong....should I continue reading on?

Convince me.

Convince you that you're obsessed with anything and everything MS? Isn't the sheer number of threads you create regarding MS enough proof? Should be enough convincing.

B4X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 B4X

@misterpmedia said:

@b4x said:

You can take what you want from the thread at your leisure. The joys of choice and subjectivity.

The fanboy spin displayed in its full glory. This thread is ONE thing. A weak attempt at ownage.

Do better next time. I know you have it in you?

The past is just that the past. If this is all you have. Then it's nothing.

Living in the past is not healthy.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 misterpmedia

@kingtito said:

Convince you that you're obsessed with anything and everything MS? Isn't the sheer number of threads you create regarding MS enough proof? Should be enough convincing.

So not only do you not know what certain words mean and can't even compare any real word examples, you fail at reading comprehension too. The 'sheer'(lol) number of topics in System Wars, a lot like the 'Sheer' number of threads about Sony's console made by lems, shows that this board is very active. I'm sorry this doesn't fit your imaginary narrative.

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

A leopard never changes its spots.

Avoid the Xbone like the plague.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 misterpmedia

@b4x said:

The fanboy spin displayed in its full glory.

What spin? Details. Go.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 kingtito

@misterpmedia said:

@kingtito said:

So not only do you not know what certain words mean and can't even compare any real word examples, you fail at reading comprehension too. The 'sheer'(lol) number of topics in System Wars, a lot like the 'Sheer' number of threads about Sony's console made by lems, shows that this board is very active. I'm sorry this doesn't fit your imaginary narrative.

Let's get this straight, I'm supposed to convince you that you're obsessed. No need kid, you've done a fantastic job of that yourself.

Convince you that I primarily game on my PC? Now why would I need to do that son? I've only been saying it since day 1. I know, it's because you're new booty. You've only been here since last year. Move along new booty, no need to explain or convince anything to you. I think it's time for a full blown meltdown, so by all means.

B4X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 B4X

@misterpmedia said:

@b4x said:

The fanboy spin displayed in its full glory.

What spin? Details. Go.

Quit half quoting me. Mr. Time Machine. How did the Dinosaurs die? Have you met Jesus yet?

edwardecl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 edwardecl
Member since 2005 • 2240 Posts

They really need to fire people like that from the Xbox team. I understand his view on digital distribution, but the DRM side of it is sick and need to die. If you buy something you should have 100% control of it.

Even Steam on PC is a piece of shit, unless something is substantially cheaper it's not worth using. You are better of buying the physical version and using cracks to ensure you can always play the fucking thing you paid for 10 years down the line.

B4X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By B4X

@edwardecl: He's a marketing POS that should never open his mouth about the Xbox brand again.

He is a plague on his own revenue.

Avatar image for OniLordAsmodeus
OniLordAsmodeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 OniLordAsmodeus
Member since 2010 • 381 Posts

I find it funny that the majority of titles coming out on PS4 at the moment, and since the launch, are digital titles (built in DRM). IMO, everyone who complained about the X1 and bought a PS4, then immediately started DLing games FROM THE INTERNET are nothing but hypocrites. Sorry.

B4X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 B4X

@OniLordAsmodeus said:

I find it funny that the majority of titles coming out on PS4 at the moment, and since the launch, are digital titles (built in DRM). IMO, everyone who complained about the X1 and bought a PS4, then immediately started DLing games FROM THE INTERNET are nothing but hypocrites. Sorry.

Fanboys will Fanboy.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

@RR360DD said:

@MlauTheDaft said:

Edit:

Their original vision was effectively steam. No ability to rent. No ability to sell or buy used games (however they did say they were working on a digitial marketplace where you could see and buy preowned)

There wouldn't have been the confusion and backlash if MS had've just said **** it, we aren't even sticking a disc drive in there. But I understand why they did because for a lot of people downloading 50GB games is still too much.

And thats where the confusing stemmed from. Allowing consumers to save games from discs, thus leading to the need for that online checkin to prevent the system be abused.

The bolded text is part of what makes Steam worse than it could have been though...

In fact, you exclusively mentioned drawbacks, so what's your argument again?

Do you think Hermits consider Steam perfect? We certainly don't, quite the opposite atm actually.

edwardecl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By edwardecl
Member since 2005 • 2240 Posts

There is nothing wrong with digital distribution, but you have to assume you are only renting the title for ~10 years. There are no guarantees the service will be there in the future. So the price should be lower than retail by quite some margin in my opinion.

Some people don't care and would not play the game again after completion anyway, those people would rather sell the game and buy something else though I would think, but you can't because you don't own it.

Then there are those who are unaware that they don't actually own any of the games they have purchased via digital distribution... those people can carry on in their ignorance.

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By LadyBlue
Member since 2012 • 4943 Posts

The right vision? Yeah right. It's sad that they're trying to push drm & always online so badly. Even after everyone said no.
You know what was the real issue? The need for a constant connection for your games to work(even retail games ffs), & their stand against used games.

It amazes me how they try to sell you on DD needing a constant connection to succeed. Whats so terrible about how DD games are handled now? Nothing! It works the same way, except you get to play them even if you're offline.

This is the kind of talk, that keeps me away from ever considering another system from them. Also pains me to see hermits wishing that on consoles just to claim some "ownage".

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By shawn30
Member since 2006 • 4409 Posts

@blue_hazy_basic said:

He's right, the future is digital.

Agreed. As I said earlier, had MS given you the choice to use games as you've always done, but if you want to try always online you can, would have made all the difference. I'm going all digital this Fall and never looking back.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

@MlauTheDaft said:

@RR360DD said:

@MlauTheDaft said:

Edit:

The bolded text is part of what makes Steam worse than it could have been though...

In fact, you exclusively mentioned drawbacks, so what's your argument again?

Do you think Hermits consider Steam perfect? We certainly don't, quite the opposite atm actually.

I thought Valve too were working on some marketplace for people to sell on games and buy used digital copies?

I would've enjoyed the ability to have my entire library accessible without the need to change discs. That, and the family sharing sounded awesome because my bro lives overseas and has an Xbox too and we could've shared our library.

I don't think it's perfect, but its still the way we're going. What happened to MS was just a set back.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#100 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@kuu2 said:

TC must think Steam is terrible.

\thread

Everyone will be all digital eventually, they just need to get to the right price for it. Gamers don't want to spend $50-$60 for a digital game that they can't forever own and hold in their hands. If they can get these games down to $25-$30 a pop, more gamers will make the jump. This will actually help to weed out a lot of the bad games. No one wants to buy a digital bad game for their system.