Yikes, looks like the Switch has many design flaws.

• 174 results
emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

Man, Nintendo is off their game. They use to make relatively reliable hardware in the past.

Primorandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 Primorandomguy
Member since 2014 • 3368 Posts

They rushed it out..

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

Welcome to console launches. Enjoy your warranty.

NfamousLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By NfamousLegend
Member since 2016 • 1001 Posts

How Nintendo thought that cheap plastic dock was a good idea without felt or rubber on the inside I'll never know. A screen protector should come in the box after this debacle.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

People putting the grips on wrong isn't Nintendos fault. That being said, this seems to be Nintendos worst hardware launch. It's not 360 levels of bad, but what is?

My Switch works great so it's whatever. I'm sorry folks are having problems. I'm not gonna lie though, I like seeing "content creators" having issues. It wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo was bricking their shit as the new copyright claim.

Zensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Zensword
Member since 2007 • 4510 Posts

Not as bad as the infamous RROD of 360. Systems at launch often have some problems, that's why I don't get any at launch.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Does not happen with WiiU Zelda, switch lol :D

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By iandizion713

@nfamouslegend said:

How Nintendo thought that cheap plastic dock was a good idea without felt or rubber on the inside I'll never know. A screen protector should come in the box after this debacle.

It has rubber on the inside.

NfamousLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 NfamousLegend

@iandizion713: Then how are people scratching their screens? last time I checked rubber won't damage a plastic screen. You can't defend Nintendo here at the very least they could have opted for an older generation Gorilla Glass.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By iandizion713

@nfamouslegend: Same way you scratch your Phone, user error. The rubber protects your screen from the Dock. The rubber does leave marks though, but it comes clean. You can tell its user error from were the scratches are.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#12  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Yes, it's a bit shocking. I suppose it's true of all console launches, but Nintendo used to be better than this.

@nfamouslegend said:

@iandizion713: Then how are people scratching their screens? last time I checked rubber won't damage a plastic screen. You can't defend Nintendo here at the very least they could have opted for an older generation Gorilla Glass.

Some docks don't have the right amount of rubber on.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By iandizion713

@getyeryayasout: Youll be waiting a long time mate. But at least you can play Zelda on Wii U. Just cant play it on the go.

NfamousLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 NfamousLegend

@iandizion713: I have a Galaxy S6 edge purchased in mid 2015, only have 1lone hairline scratch on it. If it was using that cheap plastic screen this thing would look like hieroglyphics. Just admit they went cheap and could have spent the extra 3-5 dollars for Gorilla Glass.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By iandizion713

@nfamouslegend: Have no clue what your talking about mate. A key can easily scratch gorilla glass. Just admit its user error, its happens all the time. Just look at where its scratched.

NfamousLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 NfamousLegend

@iandizion713: Her I know you are a devout sheep, but are you trying to imply a plastic screen is the equivalent to modern Gorilla Glass? Watch and learn https://youtu.be/XJP6gERPmMk

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44564 Posts

so far it's fine, let's see how long it takes before it has issues, if it does then I imagine Nintendo will replace it, I just hope I make it through Breath of the Wild before that happens

better get a hard screen protector plates and a carrying case

wonder if any of these problems stem from dropping of it, or if they're straight manufacturing defects

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts
@charizard1605 said:

Yes, it's a bit shocking. I suppose it's true of all console launches, but Nintendo used to be better than this.

@nfamouslegend said:

Some docks don't have the right amount of rubber on.

Erm..okay I am going to put on a screen protector. .. Sad to see people are having problems though. :P

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By iandizion713

@nfamouslegend said:

@iandizion713: Her I know you are a devout sheep, but are you trying to imply a plastic screen is the equivalent to modern Gorilla Glass? Watch and learn https://youtu.be/XJP6gERPmMk

Yeah bro, dont scratch it. Gorilla Glass would crack with one drop. This wont.

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

I'm not sure if I'd rather have some light scratching that I won't see when it's powered on anyway or a screen protector, those stick out to me more than a light scratch. Maybe those glass ones are good though.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#22 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41534 Posts

Modern gaming everybody! Flawed hardware launches up the ass, something even Nintendo consoles of the past since the Wii (hell, maybe GameCube) have done.

Be careful what you wish for.

koko-goal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 koko-goal
Member since 2008 • 1122 Posts

300 for a JUNK. Another junk from Nintendo

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

Mine came with a funky right stick. Haven't bothered to dock it. Might never after seeing this.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By emgesp

@nintendoboy16 said:

Modern gaming everybody! Flawed hardware launches up the ass, something even Nintendo consoles of the past since the Wii (hell, maybe GameCube) have done.

I don't remember seeing a bunch of flawed XB1s/PS4s at launch. I know initial PS4 controllers would later have issues with the analog sticks rubber grips wearing out, but nothing about straight up broken consoles.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22376 Posts

Not what we expect from Nintendo... they're usually rock solid in the hardware reliability department.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#27 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@iandizion713 said:
@nfamouslegend said:

Yeah bro, dont scratch it. Gorilla Glass would crack with one drop. This wont.

I have dropped my S6 Edge twice on the garage floor and not only does my screen have no scratches but it certainly hasn't cracked. It's not an iPhone, that cracks when you look the wrong way at the thing.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Xabiss
Member since 2012 • 4749 Posts

@iandizion713 said:

@nfamouslegend: Have no clue what your talking about mate. A key can easily scratch gorilla glass. Just admit its user error, its happens all the time. Just look at where its scratched.

So it is user error when people are getting docks that are bent from Nintendo huh? I have heard about defending a company but I think this is a little more then user error. :P

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#29 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41534 Posts

@emgesp said:
@nintendoboy16 said:

I don't remember seeing a bunch of flawed XB1s/PS4s at launch. I know initial PS4 controllers would later have issues with the analog sticks rubber grips wearing out, but nothing about straight up broken consoles.

Doesn't matter. Still flawed as hell launches regardless.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By emgesp

@nintendoboy16 said:
@emgesp said:
@nintendoboy16 said:

Doesn't matter. Still flawed as hell launches regardless.

How were they flawed as hell? The Switch is experiencing many different issues at launch. PS4 only had issues with initial controllers rubber wearing out and to my knowledge the XB1 didn't have any major launch flaws. Well, unless you want to count mandatory Kinect lol.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#31 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9730 Posts

Yes it does.

Tjeremiah1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Tjeremiah1988
Member since 2003 • 16665 Posts

I think AngryJoe is correct, dont really need him to tell ya but Nintendo rushed this thing out. Wait for maybe a year and expect a cheaper and more improved Switch if you want one.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

@emgesp said:

Man, Nintendo is off their game. They use to make relatively reliable hardware in the past.

No, their handheld's first versions were almost always not great. Or the next version got it really spot on. Not sure which is more true. Probably both.

hatecalledlove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 hatecalledlove
Member since 2004 • 1383 Posts

@emgesp: xb1 had disk read errors at launch. Saying games werent xbox one disks. Don't remember how much of a problem it was though

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#35 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

I'm SO GLAD I have none of these issues.

But yeah the Switch was pretty rushed out

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

I said when they revealed that thing I'll only buy it when they make a normal "console" version. I want nothing to do with that tablet screen which I'm sure is crap compared to any/all of my other devices. It's a tablet with a cheap plastic $10 HDMI pass through shaped into a cradle. Do not want.

Of course they never did a revision to fix all the issues with the Wii-U (32GB on the "Deluxe console" LOL). So who knows, maybe the Switch gets screwed as well. I would hope for a slightly more powerful version, built into a small console form factor the size of an Apple TV. Build me one of those Nintendo, then we'll talk.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By emgesp

@hatecalledlove said:

@emgesp: xb1 had disk read errors at launch. Saying games werent xbox one disks. Don't remember how much of a problem it was though

Clearly not as widespread as Switch issues.

kyacat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#38 kyacat
Member since 2003 • 4408 Posts

I knew it was going to happen and looks like I be waiting for Nintendo Switch be mark down and Nintendo really needs to step out of the safe zone and make console that not outdate in my opinion.

Micropixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39 Micropixel
Member since 2005 • 1383 Posts

@emgesp said:
@hatecalledlove said:

They're not as wide spread as you're implying though (Sorry, but it's true). The ratio between defective units and working ones is very far and wide (screen scratching being the top culprit).

"Defective" is precisely how I would categorize this claim as opposed to "Design Flaws". USB-C on the bottom of the unit is an example of a design flaw. But flickering screens and freezes? That's defective hardware. We see things like this with every single hardware launch. NewEgg ships me defective items all the time. :P

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

This is why having these expensive gimmick controllers and tablets is a bad idea because they are a bitch to replace if broken. If a PS4 or Xbone controller breaks you can always find one on sale for 30-40.

dante1972

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 dante1972
Member since 2004 • 934 Posts

That is why I purchased the wii u version. I have lost faith in Nintendo. If I get a switch I will wait for the xl version or light version. We all know they will release an updated version. It's the Nintendo way.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

@dante1972: Like the Wii XL and Wii Lite? Wii U Micro? NewN64?

I don't think you understand what the Switch is...

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 emgesp

@goldenelementxl said:

@dante1972: Like the Wii XL and Wii Lite? Wii U Micro? NewN64?

I don't think you understand what the Switch is...

Switch is the 3DS successor.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By emgesp

@Micropixel said:
@emgesp said:
@hatecalledlove said:

They're not as wide spread as you're implying though (Sorry, but it's true). The ratio between defective units and working ones is very far and wide (screen scratching being the top culprit).

"Defective" is precisely how I would categorize this claim as opposed to "Design Flaws". USB-C on the bottom of the unit is an example of a design flaw. But flickering screens and freezes? That's defective hardware. We see things like this with every single hardware launch. NewEgg ships me defective items all the time. :P

They are inherent design flaws though. Like how the Joysticks can easily be attached the wrong way. You can blame user error, but the hardware should be designed to prevent such things.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#45 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69479 Posts

@goldenelementxl said:

People putting the grips on wrong isn't Nintendos fault. That being said, this seems to be Nintendos worst hardware launch. It's not 360 levels of bad, but what is?

My Switch works great so it's whatever. I'm sorry folks are having problems. I'm not gonna lie though, I like seeing "content creators" having issues. It wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo was bricking their shit as the new copyright claim.

Yes it is their fault. Its bad design.

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#46  Edited By GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

I've read that the controller desyncing problem is still happening

dante1972

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 dante1972
Member since 2004 • 934 Posts

@goldenelementxl: It is the sequel to the 3DS. Perhaps it is you that needs to understand what it is.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@iandizion713 said:

@nfamouslegend: Same way you scratch your Phone, user error. The rubber protects your screen from the Dock. The rubber does leave marks though, but it comes clean. You can tell its user error from were the scratches are.

One thing I observed is that finger marks appear on the screen as scratches. Another thing I observed is that some people with "ruined" Switches just have smudges on their corners.

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#49 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

@dante1972 said:

@goldenelementxl: It is the sequel to the 3DS. Perhaps it is you that needs to understand what it is.

it absolutely is not a sequel to the 3DS. The 3DS will still be supported this year, and Nintendo already said they may make a 3DS successor. The Switch is a sequel to the WiiU plain and simple, as shown by the WiiU discontinued just as the Switch lands.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 emgesp

@GunSmith1_basic said:
@dante1972 said:

it absolutely is not a sequel to the 3DS. The 3DS will still be supported this year, and Nintendo already said they may make a 3DS successor. The Switch is a sequel to the WiiU plain and simple, as shown by the WiiU discontinued just as the Switch lands.

Nintendo still supported the GBA after the DS was released, but that didn't change the fact that the DS was the GBA's successor.

The Switch is obviously the successor to the 3DS. Just because you can now hook it up your big screen doesn't make it any less a handheld at its core.