Yet another 3DS game 7.5'd

• 195 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#151 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts
You're obnoxious. Shut the **** up.Drasonak
gamespot.com##[class*="'author':'Drasonak'"] > * I'll miss you. ;_;
chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

User Lists: 0

#152 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

Still buying it I am a big fan of the Paper Mario games. I am currently playing through Thousand Year Door again.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#153 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"][QUOTE="Minishdriveby"]This just sounds like bad design. Let's hide story specific stickers through stages and not tell anyone where they are... also you cannot win boss fights without these stickers! Let's not give any incentive to battle enemies in an RPG; actually, let's punish the player for battling! Why would I battle anything in this game. I feel like I will just be running away from enemies the entire game, and going straight to the boss fight after I find the right sticker. I'm kinda surprised it got a 7.5... They like to overrate 3DS games though.

:lol: overrating? If anything they've low-balled almost every great 3ds game.

Which ones are you referring to?
NirdBerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#154 NirdBerd
Member since 2007 • 2113 Posts

7.5 is a good score, why is everyone exacerbating this figure?

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#155 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"][QUOTE="Minishdriveby"]This just sounds like bad design. Let's hide story specific stickers through stages and not tell anyone where they are... also you cannot win boss fights without these stickers! Let's not give any incentive to battle enemies in an RPG; actually, let's punish the player for battling! Why would I battle anything in this game. I feel like I will just be running away from enemies the entire game, and going straight to the boss fight after I find the right sticker. I'm kinda surprised it got a 7.5... They like to overrate 3DS games though.Minishdriveby
:lol: overrating? If anything they've low-balled almost every great 3ds game.

3d land, Kid Icarus and Mario kart

(and maybe kingdom hearts to an extent. The story was f*cked up but the combat was so good)

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 Minishdriveby

[QUOTE="Minishdriveby"][QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]:lol: overrating? If anything they've low-balled almost every great 3ds game.Shinobishyguy

(and maybe kingdom hearts to an extent. The story was f*cked up but the combat was so good)

Nah.... In my opinion all of those were overrated except for 3D land which was rated fairly.

Kid Icarus had bad controls and deserved a 7.0 in my opinion.

I didn't like the tracks in Mario Kart 3DS, plus they threw out the awesome roster Wii had (7.5 for me).

3D land deserved the score it got (I think I gave it an 8.5).

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 Shinobishyguy

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]

[QUOTE="Minishdriveby"] Which ones are you referring to?Minishdriveby

Nah.... In my opinion all of those were overrated except for 3D land which was rated fairly.

Kid Icarus had bad controls and deserved a 7.0 in my opinion.

I didn't like the tracks in Mario Kart 3DS, plus they threw out the awesome roster Wii had (7.5 for me).

3D land deserved the score it got (I think I gave it an 8.5).

I'd say the improved item balancing is more than worth the trade off of not being able to play as a bunch of baby characters.

and the control in Kid Icarus are pretty much a non-issue. They give you so many options and a frigging training room to test out your settings.

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 Cherokee_Jack

Yeah I maybe would give 3D Land an 8.5 too. It's great but not all-time great.

But GS gives 9s a lot more freely than I do, so going by their scale it might be a 9.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 Shinobishyguy

But GS gives 9s a lot more freely than I do, so going by their scale it might be a 9.

Cherokee_Jack
I'd say it's a 9. The stages aren't quite as substantial as console mario games, but they're great for playing in short bursts.
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 Cherokee_Jack
[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"]

Shinobishyguy
I'd say it's a 9. The stages aren't quite as substantial as console mario games, but they're great for playing in short bursts.

I wouldn't argue with a 9. It's just that when you get into the 9.0s I give, you're looking at Wind Waker, Morrowind, Resi 4. Different games obv, but not quite on the same greatness level.
Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 Shinobishyguy
[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"][QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"]

Cherokee_Jack

I wouldn't argue with a 9. It's just that when you get into the 9.0s I give, you're looking at Wind Waker, Morrowind, Resi 4. Different games obv, but not quite on the same greatness level.

those games are like 9.5's (for their time anyway) so I'd say it's all good
moistsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 moistsandwich
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

The Bad

• Getting stuck is no fun at all
  • Combat can seem pointless at times.

WHAT?! Wow.... this reviewer is a joke.

Drasonak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 Drasonak
Member since 2012 • 1515 Posts

NirdBerd

No, usually it's not. You cannot simply look at a score and go, "Oh, it's higher than the middle number, therefore it's pretty good!" You have to look at GameSpot's history of reviewing games to really gauge how much a 7.5 is. Of course, this year, they've been harsher on games, so this just makes the system inconsistent. Humans really have a hard time quantifying such things, especially on such a broad, unestablished scale.

Also, keep in mind the price point. Reviewers typically don't reward games with extra points for costing less than most games unless it is really cheap, like $20 or so. Plus, they aren't using their own money to buy these games, so the price point is somewhat lost on them.

It's interesting, because a movie with an aggregate score of 75% is ****ing amazing. A game with a 75% is decent. This is not necessarily bad. It just means you have to look at games on the really end of the scale if you want to find the incredible ones.

Drasonak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 Drasonak
7.5 is horrible guys. Blargh.siLVURcross
No one is complaining about the score. In every single one of these threads, people go, "HUH, DAT SCORE ISN'T BAD, GOD, I AM SO MUCH BETTER THAN YOU GUYS."
Drasonak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 Drasonak
[QUOTE="LP4EVA2005"]"Getting stuck is no fun at all" #facepalm

This is the problem with females reviewing games. Let's be honest, most gamers are catered to males. Females are more interested in what is intrinsically pleasing and instantly gratifying and therefore more likely to be turned off by games that don't shower them with good feelings and hand holding. It's even worse when they have no boyfriend and have to have a game validate their existence.
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 Minishdriveby

The Bad

moistsandwich
These are valid complaints.
MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

[QUOTE="moistsandwich"]

The Bad

Minishdriveby

It appeared to me that the two points are actually very closely related. Pointless combat leads to no incentive (or rather, no motivation to explore due to combat being meaningless, therefore rushing to complete the story) to explore, which results in missing key story items, becoming stuck.

At least that's how I interpreted it. Seems legit to me.

Avatar image for Jolt_counter119
Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 Jolt_counter119
Member since 2010 • 4226 Posts

[QUOTE="Minishdriveby"][QUOTE="moistsandwich"]

The Bad

MLBknights58

It appeared to me that the two points are actually very closely related. Pointless combat leads to no incentive (or rather, no motivation to explore due to combat being meaningless, therefore rushing to complete the story) to explore, which results in missing key story items, becoming stuck.

At least that's how I interpreted it. Seems legit to me.

Pretty much. Being stuck probably wouldn't be as bad if there was any incentive to go back and explore areas aside from finding the sticker you missed.

VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#169 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

[QUOTE="LP4EVA2005"]"Getting stuck is no fun at all" #facepalm Drasonak
This is the problem with females reviewing games. Let's be honest, most gamers are catered to males. Females are more interested in what is intrinsically pleasing and instantly gratifying and therefore more likely to be turned off by games that don't shower them with good feelings and hand holding. It's even worse when they have no boyfriend and have to have a game validate their existence.

Quit being sexist and listen to what shes saying in context. She argues that the game feels cheep in terms of how you progress. There is a difference between getting stuck in say Legend of Zelda because you aren't sure where to go because you need to figure out a puzzle or something, and between randomly hiding a sticker in an obscure part in a mass amounts of levels with no clues that you need in order to beat a boss.

Im a male and that sounds F*ckin annoying. I want a game to test my intelligence not my patience. The skill of the game should be in how to use the stickers you've collected in order to beat the boss.. Not running around like a mental case for something you need to easily take out the boss. That is completely backwards game design.

Im still going to get this game but that and the fact that there is NO leveling has taken my hype way down for this game. I mean WHY would I ever want to fight anyone in an rpg if there is no leveling? Just sounds like a waste of time. Might as well just run away from every encounter unless you have to in order to progress the story.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 Shinobishyguy

[QUOTE="Drasonak"][QUOTE="LP4EVA2005"]"Getting stuck is no fun at all" #facepalm VendettaRed07

Quit being sexist and listen to what shes saying in context. She argues that the game feels cheep in terms of how you progress. There is a difference between getting stuck in say Legend of Zelda because you aren't sure where to go because you need to figure out a puzzle or something, and between randomly hiding a sticker in an obscure part in a mass amounts of levels with no clues that you need in order to beat a boss.

Im a male and that sounds F*ckin annoying. I want a game to test my intelligence not my patience. The skill of the game should be in how to use the stickers you've collected in order to beat the boss.. Not running around like a mental case for something you need to easily take out the boss. That is completely backwards game design.

Im still going to get this game but that and the fact that there is NO leveling has taken my hype way down for this game. I mean WHY would I ever want to fight anyone in an rpg if there is no leveling?

maybe because the combat itself is fun?

TilxWLOC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 TilxWLOC
Member since 2011 • 1164 Posts

I didn't read the review because, I'm lazy, and I don't really want to read it before I've played it. It seems to be influenced by how it differs from past games, which I also haven't played, But what is "pointless combat"? From my understanding, although you don't level up, you get items and coins for taking on battles, coins allow you to buy better things like more stickers which means more power, how is that pointless? Its also the combat, why wouldn't you partake in it? Since when have games been about getting to the end (speedruns not included)?

Getting stuck seems like one's own problem.

If there is one thing that seems like a legitimate complaint it is the strict puzzles, "I need a treat for this bear, but none of this food worked, but that one does", now you are out a ton of items based on bad design, but this didn't end up in "The Bad". So, i'd say the review, summary at least, is awful.

Avatar image for Jolt_counter119
Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 Jolt_counter119
Member since 2010 • 4226 Posts

I didn't read the review because, I'm lazy, and I don't really want to read it before I've played it. It seems to be influenced by how it differs from past games, which I also haven't played, But what is "pointless combat"? From my understanding, although you don't level up, you get items and coins for taking on battles, coins allow you to buy better things like more stickers which means more power, how is that pointless? Its also the combat, why wouldn't you partake in it? Since when have games been about getting to the end (speedruns not included)?

If there is one thing that seems like a legitimate complaint it is the strict puzzles, "I need a treat for this bear, but none of this food worked, but that one does", now you are out a ton of items based on bad design, but this didn't end up in "The Bad". So, i'd say the review, summary at least, is awful.

TilxWLOC

Because you don't need coins or more stickers. You can find stickers almost everywhere. Getting stuck is a direct result from the strict puzzles and boss fights so that point stands. She says that there is no incentive to fight the small enemies that you have already beaten a bunch of times already so going through the level to find an item is just boring and if you run into enemies they are pointless because you don't need the coins, stickers (if anything you waste them) and no experience.

edit: also she says that the big stickers, the real world stickerized ones take up too much space and cost too many coins and the enemies aren't difficult enough to really need them.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#173 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41534 Posts

NirdBerd

On Gamespot, it sucks (something I don't agree with).

NirdBerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 NirdBerd

[QUOTE="NirdBerd"] No, usually it's not. You cannot simply look at a score and go, "Oh, it's higher than the middle number, therefore it's pretty good!" You have to look at GameSpot's history of reviewing games to really gauge how much a 7.5 is. Of course, this year, they've been harsher on games, so this just makes the system inconsistent. Humans really have a hard time quantifying such things, especially on such a broad, unestablished scale.

Also, keep in mind the price point. Reviewers typically don't reward games with extra points for costing less than most games unless it is really cheap, like $20 or so. Plus, they aren't using their own money to buy these games, so the price point is somewhat lost on them.

It's interesting, because a movie with an aggregate score of 75% is ****ing amazing. A game with a 75% is decent. This is not necessarily bad. It just means you have to look at games on the really end of the scale if you want to find the incredible ones.

Drasonak

I don't see it that way. 7.5 is a high score, obviously it's above 5, the average, so it is a good score. I don't know where you are pulling this 'logic' from.

[QUOTE="NirdBerd"]

nintendoboy16

Yeah, I know but... I just ignore that crap as 7.5 is generally a good score, not everything has to get the ****ing editor's choice award

TilxWLOC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 TilxWLOC
Member since 2011 • 1164 Posts

[QUOTE="TilxWLOC"]

Jolt_counter119

Because you don't need coins or more stickers. You can find stickers almost everywhere. Getting stuck is a direct result from the strict puzzles and boss fights so that point stands. She says that there is no incentive to fight the small enemies that you have already beaten a bunch of times already so going through the level to find an item is just boring and if you run into enemies they are pointless because you don't need the coins, stickers (if anything you waste them) and no experience.

edit: also she says that the big stickers, the real world stickerized ones take up too much space and cost too many coins and the enemies aren't difficult enough to really need them.

Thanks, I think "getting stuck" should have been more clear if that is the case, but okay.

On the rest of it I'll wait until I'm more familiar with the game (probably not when I play it, seeing as I'm nowhere close to owning a 3DS). Not that I'm saying she's wrong, but a lot of it seems a little exaggerated, which is why I'll wait until I see more. Those puzzles though, those sound awful.

Drasonak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 Drasonak

[QUOTE="Drasonak"]

[QUOTE="NirdBerd"]

I don't see it that way. 7.5 is a high score, obviously it's above 5, the average, so it is a good score. I don't know where you are pulling this 'logic' from.

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]

[QUOTE="NirdBerd"]

NirdBerd

Yeah, I know but... I just ignore that crap as 7.5 is generally a good score, not everything has to get the ****ing editor's choice award

Alright, stupid person, every single scale in the world is the same because all humans have a universal understanding of the weight each score holds. DURR.
Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 Jonwh18
Member since 2009 • 9350 Posts

[QUOTE="Drasonak"]

[QUOTE="NirdBerd"]

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]

[QUOTE="NirdBerd"]

NirdBerd

You must be new here, because you obviously have no idea what you are talking about, here a 5 means abslut trash, hell a 6.5 is trash.

GamingGod999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 GamingGod999
Member since 2011 • 3135 Posts

Flop.

Bardock47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 Bardock47
Member since 2008 • 5429 Posts

Not gonna lie tis has me bummed a bit. I was worried straight from the beginning with the lack of partners and the use of one time items for attacks. The fact there isnt leveling? Really is kick in the nads. Im not the type of person to not buy game based on reviews. But the fact combat is pointless, and more of a pain sounds awful. I dont want to be avoiding combat, becaus its worthless and need to save time. I'd rather track down a copy TTYD and play that again.

Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#180 Wanderer5
Member since 2006 • 25727 Posts

Got it a couple hours ago and just got to world 1-2. So far I liking the game a lot, and it does encourage a lot of exploring which is pretty nice. 3D effects are also great and I like that one hammer where it sends the enemy hitting into the screen at the end of its attack.:P

Also man the decal from Gamestop is huge.

CKYguy25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 CKYguy25
Member since 2012 • 2087 Posts

dang, i was actually considering buying that game too

NirdBerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 NirdBerd

[QUOTE="NirdBerd"]

[QUOTE="Drasonak"] On Gamespot, it sucks (something I don't agree with).

Jonwh18

You must be new here, because you obviously have no idea what you are talking about, here a 5 means abslut trash, hell a 6.5 is trash.

I know what you idiots relate scores to on Gamespot/System Wars, I've been here long enough to know that - I am just saying MY OPINION. Deal with it. And I've been here longer than you bud.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 Shinobishyguy

Got it a couple hours ago and just got to world 1-2. So far I liking the game a lot, and it does encourage a lot of exploring which is pretty nice. 3D effects are also great and I like that one hammer where it sends the enemy hitting into the screen at the end of its attack.:P

Wanderer5
how many coins do battles usually give you? I hear using that roulette thing is important
CKYguy25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 CKYguy25

Wanderer5

so is it worth a purchase?

Drasonak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 Drasonak

[QUOTE="Jonwh18"]

[QUOTE="NirdBerd"]

NirdBerd

I know what you idiots relate scores to on Gamespot/System Wars, I've been here long enough to know that - I am just saying MY OPINION. Deal with it. And I've been here longer than you bud.

Your opinion is unsubstantiated and quite hilarious
Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#187 Wanderer5
Member since 2006 • 25727 Posts

how many coins do battles usually give you? I hear using that roulette thing is importantShinobishyguy

Like 3-5 usually, but you can get some more during attacks and there the perfect bonuses too.

so is it worth a purchase?

CKYguy25

Well I can't fully judge it yet, but it definitely good so far.

CKYguy25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 CKYguy25

Well I can't fully judge it yet, but it definitely good so far.

Wanderer5

As long as you like it

ultraking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 ultraking
Member since 2004 • 6904 Posts
Another 3ds game ill never buy. I swear , nintendo always gets me to buy their systems then like a month later I always regret it.. my eyes are open now nintendo , none of my money goes into you're pockets ever again
Comduter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#190 Comduter
Member since 2004 • 2316 Posts

Another 3ds game ill never buy. I swear , nintendo always gets me to buy their systems then like a month later I always regret it.. my eyes are open now nintendo , none of my money goes into you're pockets ever againultraking
What are you talking about? it only got a 7.5 which is actually a good score. It's getting very good reviews overall.

ultraking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 ultraking
Member since 2004 • 6904 Posts

[QUOTE="ultraking"]Another 3ds game ill never buy. I swear , nintendo always gets me to buy their systems then like a month later I always regret it.. my eyes are open now nintendo , none of my money goes into you're pockets ever againComduter

What are you talking about? it only got a 7.5 which is actually a good score. It's getting very good reviews overall.

I was talking more about mario itself than the actual score
SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#192 SpinoRaptor24
Member since 2008 • 10316 Posts
I'll be getting it, but I'm still baffled as to why there is no leveling up in a turn based RPG.
JLF1MarkII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 JLF1MarkII
Member since 2012 • 1416 Posts

I think this game suffers from Nintendo's mantra of tailoring console games into handheld game by straight up removing features/content that made the console version so liked.

This game should have dropped the battle-system and been a straight up adventure game instead IMO. Franchise staple or not, having the battles be meaningless and boring is worse for the game than not simply having them there.

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#194 kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115429 Posts
Nothing wrong with a 7.5.
Drasonak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 Drasonak
Nothing wrong with a 7.5.2ndWonder
Awesome revelation, bro. It might've been even better had you posted a couple pages ago, when this wasn't beaten into the ground.