NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

I know how everyone and their mother who hates the Xbox One thinks backward compatibility is worthless and yada, yada, yada, but there is something to consider that most probably have not.

I was looking to buy Resident Evil Code: Veronica HD and I was going to buy it on either the 360 or the PlayStation 3 depending on price, well it's $19.99 on both systems. I own a PlayStation 4 and Xbox One as you're all probably aware and something dawned on me before deciding to checkout...

If I buy this game on the PlayStation 3 that's it, that will be its home and it will be forever tied to that console. If I buy it on the Xbox 360, there is a possibility down the line it will be added to the Xbox One backward compatibility and further help consolidate my library on one system.

This greatly increases the viability of this feature and console as far as I'm concerned, has anyone else in a similar situation actually considered or thought of this yet for last generation digital games and the viability of what is the best platform to buy them on given the reality of backward compatibility?

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#2 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

Backwards compatiblity is defenitely a plus, I was just playing nba jam , not for long, only did a couple of matches. But it's so nice that I can.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

I still don't get why people think that having more options to play is still a bad thing. Now my kid can play one of his favorite franchises ( Gears of War ) with his own profile in the X1 thanks to BC.

khoofia_pika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#4 khoofia_pika
Member since 2006 • 16761 Posts

Wait, so you're saying being backwards compatible is a good thing for the Xbox One?

WE MUST TELL EVERYONE

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#5 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Is the game cheaper on last gen?

And as dope as it is, I doubt publishers will add games that are on both generations, and quite similar, on BC for this case alone.

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts

For retail games no. Any last gen game that's on 360 or PS3 I would buy for the PS3 because it's still in my living room next to PS4, XBox One and Wii U. The 360 got banished to the bedroom along with the Wii. For a digital only game it would actually be a good point but I doubt I would just trust in it being added to the BC list one day. If they announced that it will be BC right away I can see myself getting it for the 360 to have it on my One.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NyaDC

@Blabadon said:

Is the game cheaper on last gen?

And as dope as it is, I doubt publishers will add games that are on both generations, and quite similar, on BC for this case alone.

It's not available on current gen, it's got like 9,000 votes on the Xbox One backward compatibility feedback site though.

The game itself is not the point though, it's the viability of buying it on a dead end platform that's being shelved versus buying it on another dead end platform that will possibly extend onto its replacement platform.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

I get it...BC is good for some ppl.

I personally have no use for it. I don't think I've seen anyone say BC is "worthless".....but useless to some? Sure.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I got RE: CV HD for $4ish during a PSN flash sale a year or two back.

That made biting the bullet easy although I already own the game on various other platforms (DC, PS2, GC). As a matter of fact, all the RE's were on sale uber cheap ($1-$4).

Regarding the hope of some limited support, I already went through that last gen with the 360's 50% BC. I'm not going to pine away and hope for support that never came for my library (especially to preserve the new machines/HDD space for that gen's games). I will but the best deal instead.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

I guess I'd be regurgitating bullet points from E3 2015 as well if Halo didn't chart in December.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 NyaDC

@Shewgenja said:

I guess I'd be regurgitating bullet points from E3 2015 as well if Halo didn't chart in December.

Cancer has entered the fold.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

You baffle me with your threads and comments.

You have a problem with Star Ocean 5 looking "last gen", but will shill the feature of the Bone being able to play "last gen" games?

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

top kek

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44564 Posts

It felt really good to go back and play games like Doom and Doom II, and Wolfenstein, and Toy Soldiers. I'm a big get fan of the XBLA games but I hope they do a good job getting the premium titles. Really wanna see Catherine make it. Glad I get a chance to play South Park Stick of Truth, will finally play soon as soon as my hands aren't full.

I hope they pull off some OG Xbox games, like Panzer Dragoon Orta would totally make my day.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

I'm waiting for them to solve the multi-disc issue. As soon as they do and get the Mass Effect Trilogy on there, i'm going to play it through xbox one. Never played the whole series.

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

For me games are games. If I could play last gen games on current consoles at no extra charge, that console with this option deserve all the praise. The beauty with this form of backward compatibility really shines with a membership to Xbox Live Gold. Gold offers Xbox 360 GwG games which are playable on the Xbox One at no extra charge. So you don't even need a Xbox 360 to play these Xbox 360 GwG games because Xbox One allows you to access them all. This means I don't even have to worry about storage space for my Xbox 360 since I can attach any external hard drive with no space limit on my Xbox One and I'm set.

Both the PS3 and PS4 still lack the option to use external hard drives with no space limit for games. I believe this is just one of many reasons they can't offer any form of backward compatibility. Actually I mean if they did update the PS4 with backward compatibility, they will run into issues because they lack support for external hard drives for games, since I believe this instant game collection would take up a lot of space. I know it does with my Xbox One but I don't have to worry about space because my 5tb external hard drive got it all covered for now, as I could attach a hard drive with no space limit easily any time. Sure you could just upgrade to a 2tb internal hard drive but guess what, 2tb is the limit. Once that's filled up, you have to delete delete delete, install install install, delete delete delete, re-install re-install, swap swap swap, man what a pain, why can't you use plug an external hard drive and be set.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

lolz

X1's BC will NEVER be 100% either. I kept my 360 so its a non issue.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

well this is just sad

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

If you care about BC so much, you owe yourself to get a PC for $400 which can let you play all games from the PS3 era below easily at max settings.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

Its a hell of a lot better than Sonys implementation. Forcing you to rebuy the game is despicable.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#21 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

Even with BC xbox still cant win lol

The-A-Baum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 The-A-Baum
Member since 2015 • 1370 Posts

My 360 is pretty beat up from all my moving around the hemisphere and on its last leg so just let my little cousins play it til it finally dies.

But there are few games I would like to try or replay. Love that I got Stick of Truth brand new for super cheap and am laughing my ass off, playing it for the first time.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Shewgenja

@nyadc: I come not as a harbinger of death, but of woe.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Shewgenja

@wolverine4262: Really? I didn't know Sony threw the kill switch on every PS3 ever made. All of the forcing. Many evil. Wow.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22377 Posts

I love having the option of BC... its a great feature to have.

And it makes me laugh reading all the PS fan boys saying what a waste of time it is... it'd be a completely different story if it was the other way around but whatevs.

MetalGearJoel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 MetalGearJoel
Member since 2013 • 190 Posts

@hrt_rulz01: Yeah, same goes for if PS4 had it and the Xbone didn't. Round and round the circle we go. Makes reading this forum more lulz worthy.

More on topic, I finally beat Gears Ultimate and will look to play the other games, I still have the discs, do they require installs still? I'm quite low on HD space.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

No one said it was worthless. It's just not going be much of factor in choosing a PS4 or Xbox One for most people. Hopefully next generation both Sony and Microsoft stick a similar architecture so they can both have actual backwards compatibility as opposed to emulation and streaming.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56108 Posts

I can understand BC is a must for these current-gen consoles but how hard it is for you to not use your last-gen consoles? PS3/Xbox 360 are both 100% BC meaning you get to play all last-gen games and even better, Xbox 360 can still play some original Xbox games and that right there, is way better then Xbox One BC and really, Xbox One BC should have all Xbox 360 games, not just random games.

In short, this doesn't bother me cause I still got my PS3/Xbox 360 hook up to another HDTV for that so I can still go buy very cheap last-gen games and no need to use PS Now.

davem1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29 davem1992
Member since 2009 • 4068 Posts

@wolverine4262 said:

Its a hell of a lot better than Sonys implementation. Forcing you to rebuy the game is despicable.

I don't recall Sony EVER forcing me to buy a game I already own, thought it was a conscious choice.

davem1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 davem1992

Sorry but until I at least see Tales of Vesperia, Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey then this BC is utterly worthless TO ME in general.

Say what you want about the PS2 emulation, they at least have given me games I want to play (hell I didn't own any of the games on the store prior)

playharderfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By playharderfool
Member since 2009 • 2085 Posts

If PS3 had 100% BC with PS2 and PS1 when it launched and it was a NON argument in SW thus xbox fanboys getting away with saying "PS3 has no games", how in the world do you guys expect anyone to take you guys seriously with xbox one's hack incomplete and broken BC with only 360?

This thread is dumb. BC was a non factor in arguments last gen for systems with much better libraries (PS2+PS1) so why are xbox fans grasping at straws to make BC a thing just because their console now has a half working solution where as PS4 doesn't?

Desperation is all this is. If PS3's full 1000+ library of BC games didn't have an impact in arguments here then xbox ones sorry attempt at with the BC it has now surely doesn't.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts
@Shewgenja said:

Rekt

Lems need to accept defeat already. Even with BC and "the best lineup in history" gamers have still rejected the xbone.

KillOnSight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 145

#33 KillOnSight
Member since 2015 • 458 Posts

Backwards compatability is a great thing when executed properly, but Xbox one BC is not a good example and is pretty close to worthless outside of an E3 presentation or commercial.

davem1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 davem1992

@nyadc said:

I know how everyone and their mother who hates the Xbox One thinks backward compatibility is worthless and yada, yada, yada, but there is something to consider that most probably have not.

I was looking to buy Resident Evil Code: Veronica HD and I was going to buy it on either the 360 or the PlayStation 3 depending on price, well it's $19.99 on both systems. I own a PlayStation 4 and Xbox One as you're all probably aware and something dawned on me before deciding to checkout...

If I buy this game on the PlayStation 3 that's it, that will be its home and it will be forever tied to that console. If I buy it on the Xbox 360, there is a possibility down the line it will be added to the Xbox One backward compatibility and further help consolidate my library on one system.

This greatly increases the viability of this feature and console as far as I'm concerned, has anyone else in a similar situation actually considered or thought of this yet for last generation digital games and the viability of what is the best platform to buy them on given the reality of backward compatibility?

No because BC doesn't mean a thing to me with these new systems, if I want to play CVX then I'll buy it on the system I prefer and that's the PS brand.

Hell I own it on DC and GC already so this in general means little to me.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Shewgenja

@hrt_rulz01: I think that if you guys had as many games as the PS4 does, you wouldn't be drumming the feature as much as you do.

PS4s killer feature is having a massive lineup of games. If I had to choose between that or BC, well, clearly millions of people have come to the same conclusion as I would.

You and you lem friends can try to pin the tail on the donkey all you like, but it's 2016 and you're still droning away over the same shit. You're not nearly as clever as you give yourselves credit for. In fact, it's looking rather tired.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

@MetalGearJoel said:

@hrt_rulz01: Yeah, same goes for if PS4 had it and the Xbone didn't. Round and round the circle we go. Makes reading this forum more lulz worthy.

More on topic, I finally beat Gears Ultimate and will look to play the other games, I still have the discs, do they require installs still? I'm quite low on HD space.

Yes, they require install, when you insert the disc the console doesn´t read from it, it only uses the disc as means to verify you have it, the actual game is downloaded and installed in the HDD. You will need to insert the disc every time you want to play or the installed game won´t work.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#37 deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
Member since 2013 • 2638 Posts

carrot?

I prefer other veggies.

Syn_Valence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Syn_Valence
Member since 2004 • 2140 Posts

Sounds to me lemmings simply have no games...ironic isn't it?

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts
@SolidTy said:

Regarding the hope of some limited support, I already went through that last gen with the 360's 50% BC. I'm not going to pine away and hope for support that never came for my library (especially to preserve the new machines/HDD space for that gen's games). I will but the best deal instead.

To be fair, it was much more difficult to emulate the Original Xbox on the Xbox 360. From what I gather, the only problem MS is facing with the Xbox One is getting publishers to agree to have their game join the list.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

@playharderfool said:

If PS3 had 100% BC with PS2 and PS1 when it launched and it was a NON argument in SW thus xbox fanboys getting away with saying "PS3 has no games", how in the world do you guys expect anyone to take you guys seriously with xbox one's hack incomplete and broken BC with only 360?

This thread is dumb. BC was a non factor in arguments last gen for systems with much better libraries (PS2+PS1) so why are xbox fans grasping at straws to make BC a thing just because their console now has a half working solution where as PS4 doesn't?

Desperation is all this is. If PS3's full 1000+ library of BC games didn't have an impact in arguments here then xbox ones sorry attempt at with the BC it has now surely doesn't.

Yup, you've pretty much summed up the lems with this sentence. They are desperate hypocrites.

Primorandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Primorandomguy
Member since 2014 • 3368 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag: Gamers haven't rejected the Xbox One. Just because it didn't sell as well as the PS4, doesn't mean it is rejected. In December the Xbox One sold over a million.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#42 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Considering the disgusting lack of quality exclusive titles for both platforms, backwards compatibility is a massive plus.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Shewgenja

@primorandomguy said:

@NathanDrakeSwag: Gamers haven't rejected the Xbox One. Just because it didn't sell as well as the PS4, doesn't mean it is rejected. In December the Xbox One sold over a million.

In a country where Donald Trump may be elected President.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 HalcyonScarlet

@playharderfool said:

BC is there to do the same job as Indie games, which is be filler crap that when added on to a console, gives the illusion that the console as a whole looks better with more features or games. In reality, all this stuff is there to distract console gamers from one simple fact. They now get about two exclusives a year, lol.

When this is the case, a company needs to add on as much shit as they can, and sing about it.

It's a funny thing on consoles. The companies like MS and Sony make a big deal out of redundant shit that just happens on the PC. The UI and every little feature that should be obvious, BC, Indies and HD remasters lol, or as we call it, 'turning the settings up'.

BC is just a tiny piece of the 'non argument' parts of the consoles.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@HalcyonScarlet said:
@SolidTy said:

To be fair, it was much more difficult to emulate the Original Xbox on the Xbox 360. From what I gather, the only problem MS is facing with the Xbox One is getting publishers to agree to have their game join the list.

Well, I feel ya, but to be fair, no where in my post did I indicate that I didn't understand the technical reasons behind the BC on these machines, only that I've been through this before.

That said, the emulation on the Xbone isn't rock solid (which means some games and code present issues) and furthermore, I don't have the confidence that 100% of the gaming publishers (many still aren't on board) are going to change their minds. Furthermore, many publishers that have signed up, have not signed up 100% of their 360 games. The 360 also had many more games than the original Xbox 1. As a matter of fact, just like the 360 BC effort, I think the resources/effort/R&D to do Xbone BC will be silently killed (like it was on 360) once the Xbone's current gen library is good/great. Right now, it's something to talk about, but there is no way I'm once again going to fall for thinking were are going to get a massive BC push.

That was a brief explanation, but I've already discussed in great detail and considered this entire issue when the BC initiative was announced back at E3 2015. It's a paper tiger with some benefits, but I have a huge 360 collection and I know it's not all going to be BC and I also know some of these games won't work as well on Xbone as they do on 360....which I already own a few 360s so that's fine for me.

As I said though, I prefer not to waste HDD space on my Xbone and waste the Xbone machine to play last gen games any rate.

Primorandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Primorandomguy
Member since 2014 • 3368 Posts

@Shewgenja: And the PS4 sold better in that country where Donald Trump may be elected president...

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 HalcyonScarlet

@SolidTy said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@SolidTy said:

Well, I feel ya, but to be fair, no where in my post did I indicate that I didn't understand the technical reasons behind the BC on these machines, only that I've been through this before.

That said, the emulation on the Xbone isn't rock solid (which means some games and code present issues) and furthermore, I don't have the confidence that 100% of the gaming publishers (many still aren't on board) are going to change their minds. Furthermore, many publishers that have signed up, have not signed up 100% of their 360 games. The 360 also had many more games than the original Xbox 1. As a matter of fact, just like the 360 BC effort, I think the resources/effort/R&D to do Xbone BC will be silently killed (like it was on 360) once the Xbone's current gen library is good/great. Right now, it's something to talk about, but there is no way I'm once again going to fall for thinking were are going to get a massive BC push.

That was a brief explanation, but I've already discussed in great detail and considered this entire issue when the BC initiative was announced back at E3 2015. It's a paper tiger with some benefits, but I have a huge 360 collection and I know it's not all going to be BC and I also know some of these games won't work as well on Xbone as they do on 360....which I already own a few 360s so that's fine for me.

As I said though, I prefer not to waste HDD space on my Xbone and waste the Xbone machine to play last gen games any rate.

I can't form an opinion on it just yet, we have to see how it turns out. It's early days and the problems we see now may or may not persist. So I understand your position. My position is that I have a 360 E and have no plans on playing anything 360 on the Xbox One.

I don't think the it will silently flatline like the past, if only because there is much more continued interest in the Xbox 360 than before. But again we'll see. I'm not convinced by consoles this gen, two years in and we're still talking about 'when they take off', right now I don't see them as good enough to convince people that last gen is old and redundant. Hasn't convinced me yet, once.

I get you on not wasting HDD space.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22377 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

@hrt_rulz01: I think that if you guys had as many games as the PS4 does, you wouldn't be drumming the feature as much as you do.

PS4s killer feature is having a massive lineup of games. If I had to choose between that or BC, well, clearly millions of people have come to the same conclusion as I would.

You and you lem friends can try to pin the tail on the donkey all you like, but it's 2016 and you're still droning away over the same shit. You're not nearly as clever as you give yourselves credit for. In fact, it's looking rather tired.

Massive line-up of games? Oh you mean the line-up of mostly small indie games that nobody will ever play... Yeah ok then.

But anyway, I stand by what I said in that if PS4 had BC, you'd be praising it no end. And I'm not sure what you actually mean when you say that "You're not nearly as clever as you give yourselves credit for. In fact, it's looking rather tired"? When was I trying to be clever? I'm just stating my opinion.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Shewgenja

@primorandomguy: Water is wet.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Shewgenja

@hrt_rulz01: You know, the thing is, you're wrong. It is a fact that the PS4 has more retail releases than the Bone. This hyperbole about the PS4s game lineup is going to fall apart on you. The XBONE simply can't afford to have any more games delay into 2017, the situation is so bad.

As for BC? You're free to say that, but the PS3 didn't have anywhere in the same galaxy the amount of reliability issues that the 360 had. On top of that, if BC really was such a crucial feature for consoles, the original PS3 would have taken off a whole lot stronger than it did. If you really want to take this argument in a circle, allow me to invite you to the year 2006. Spoiler alert: Full BC has been done before, not limited. You Lems happened to already torpedo a console that had this feature.

So, here we are. January of 2016. You still don't have shit to talk about, so you are milking a talking point dry. Is it any wonder the Bone is getting killed?