X1, PS4, or Wii U - who has the best operating system?

• 87 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45107 Posts

as someone who has played all three, I gotta go with ps4. It's very smooth and responsive and also very organized. the x1's feels very clunky and all over the place, not to mention sluggish. I really hope that gets fixed. The Wii U's is the worst imo because you have to use the game pad. Even if you just want to use the pro controller, game pad still must be on. Also, ithe menu is designed all around the gamepad's screen which again leaves you handicapped if all you want to use is pro controller. What do you think, SW? Which OS are you enjoying most?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Was the PS4 the one that just made you scroll continuously sideways? Or did they fix that?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#3 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Xbox One for sure. PS4's is very snappy, and I love it, but it's lacking in some basic functionality, and loses out on points for me there. Wii U is actually pretty nice in theory, but it's so slow that it doesn't matter- if Nintendo ever optimizes it to run better, maybe I'll be able to give it the edge.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

The Wii U OS is very intuitive, but the speed of the OS itself is the issue. Otherwise I'd give it first place. I'll have to give it to the X1 on OS.

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ProtossX
Member since 2005 • 2880 Posts

easy xbox one for me

microsoft builds the best gaming/desktop os's

sony is all about hardware there software sucks just look at the vitas os compared to like ios from apple iphones its terribad an sony should feel bad prolly

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Sagemode87
Member since 2013 • 3416 Posts

PS4 easily for me. Xbox Ones is too slow and it's hard to find what you need. Wii U isn't bad.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#7 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

To me it's like comparing crap, turd and poop. They are all s*** imo but I like XO interface the most surprisingly. It just does more.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Linux.... err

Yrkoon99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Yrkoon99
Member since 2007 • 494 Posts

android?

mbrockway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mbrockway
Member since 2007 • 3560 Posts

@lostrib: They made it where you can limit the icons on the line and stick everything else in the library tab. I'd say PS4 and WiiU are since they let you just stick in the game and play. No waiting 5 minutes for an install then another 10 to download a Live patch. But you can watch your PS4 instantly play the game in a tiny window on the Xbone while your game installs and updates, so there is that.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

Gonna have to go with the ps4 it's nice, simple and smooth for the most part.

The Wii U's is ok but I hate seeing the mii's and it's still very slow although they have made several improvements

The xbox one is so slow and everything is separated into an app so you are constantly switching and closing apps. It's worse for me since I refuse to use the kinect.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

Wii U. It's the only one that still resembles a console. If you want more than that build a PC instead of settling for the gimped ones Sony and Microsoft are trying to sell.

Warped133

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Warped133
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

The Xbox one is best because it using the thing that the uses like windows and windows is most popular system worlide used by everyone and everyone use it and thats why xbox win PeeS4 is blue and crappy, and boring it so bad it makes cows cry and fall asleep

Kingpin0114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Kingpin0114
Member since 2008 • 2607 Posts

I only own a Ps4 and Wiiu.

The PS4 one is bare but it's usually very slick when it's working. Also everything is very easy to find. They need to add folders though so I don't have to go through a bunch of tiles. Also would like to have custom wallpapers and have the ability to change the color of the text and icons on the top row. They are very hard to see with the new themes. I do like that I can actually see the background though. Judging from the xbox one vids on youtube, the custom backgrounds are covered up with all those tabs and tiles.

The WiiU one is okay but just really slow compared to the PS4. I do like that they have folders though. Would be nice if they improved the speed of everything and if it could be customized. It is centered around the gamepad but that is not a deal breaker to me. Also like the quick launch icons so you don't even have to boot up the mii screen.

I'm judging the xbone UI based off of vids. It seems like it has a lot going on. Definitely looks like it has the most features. Tabs and tiles everywhere but it does seem responsive. I'm guessing with kinect, things are much easier. I love that you can use achievement art as backgrounds. That is really awesome. Just wish they could tone down all the tiles. And the suspend/resume...I want. Sony needs to hurry up and get in on that.

Guess my vote will go to the PS4 barely over the Xbone only because the Xbone seems too cluttered.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I own all of these machines since launch. I use them every week.

The Xbone UI looks pretty in screen shots, but in practice as an owner it leaves a lot to be desired. Things like Achievements now have app-like loading, party chat is more cumbersome, and simple navigation to tweak settings isn't very intuitive. Even looking at achievements is a chore compared to last gen. I was very disappointed to find that M$ didn't have the 360 team on the Xbone, and instead went with Windows 8 team. They started from scratch and you can tell. A few things are new, most things are old, things are out of place, and a lot of it all is just slower. You get used to it, hell a guy can use a Rockband Drum set to play games, but it's not ideal. Especially coming from the 360. It also gets jittery depending on what you are snapping or trying to do. I've had a few system freezes playing Volgarr, Crimson Dragon, Chariot, and other games on my Xbone. Indie games shouldn't crash the console. It doesn't happen a lot, but it happens. Actions are little slower due to the smartphone like app feel when you click on icons. The Xbone OS design was deliberately inefficient (compared to even 360) to promote Kinect usage, but even Kinect is spotty and useless if you don't know the command to go from X - Y. It's useless if you have a supreme sound system and you have to mute the sound to talk to the Kinect. Just use the controller, but little things like deleting followers are just tedious affairs trying to figure it out. You can learn how to play Megaman with a Rockband Drumset, but that doesn't mean it's the best way to play.

The Wii U is too slow, unfortunately. It's pretty and easy to use. It looks like the Wii's older brother, but damn the loading times. It's worse if you accidently click on an app and have to wait to get back out to the menu.

The PS4 is too simplistic, especially compared to PS3...but is lightening fast and due to the simplicity, the PS4 OS doesn't crash. It's smooth by comparison. I wasn't impressed with the PS4 when I first messed about with it, but when you compare the experiences of owning the three machines, using them day in and day out, it's apparent the PS4 shouldn't win, but it does. The competition could change that, but for now, PS4 has this in the bag.

None of them are perfect or ideal, but it breaks down after using these machines for months and months:

PS4 UI/OS > Xbone UI/OS. >>> Wii U UI/OS.

That's the god's honest truth as far as navigation and UI is concerned. That said, I'm not particularly fond of any of the UI or OSs.

Games? That would be a different breakdown where the Wii U would lead in most retail games I own for the big three.

----

EDIT Gamespot.com weighs in a bit on the poor Xbone UI, which is perfect for this thread.

Here's the video at 3:57, where the Xbone takes some heat due to the Xbone's disappointing UI.

Basically the editor says he uses his PS4 more than his Xbone, for a surprising reason. He hates having to deal with the Xbone UI.

Loading Video...

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SolidTy

@Ghost120x said:

Gonna have to go with the ps4 it's nice, simple and smooth for the most part.

The Wii U's is ok but I hate seeing the mii's and it's still very slow although they have made several improvements

The xbox one is so slow and

everything is separated into an app so you are constantly switching and closing apps.

It's worse for me since I refuse to use the kinect.

@Sagemode87 said:

PS4 easily for me.

Xbox Ones is too slow and it's hard to find what you need.

Wii U isn't bad.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Well, I've never even seen an Xbone in person and I've used my PS4 so little that I don't even remember. Not sure which is better of the two. That said, I'm sure they're both better than the WiiU. And I'm sure they're all crap at the end of the day.

MikeHockbourns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MikeHockbourns
Member since 2014 • 754 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

Xbox One for sure. PS4's is very snappy, and I love it, but it's lacking in some basic functionality, and loses out on points for me there. Wii U is actually pretty nice in theory, but it's so slow that it doesn't matter- if Nintendo ever optimizes it to run better, maybe I'll be able to give it the edge.

this, xbox one is the best looking and the best set up. wii u is plain, but effective sorta since you can't do much on that thing, ps4 is a confusing mess.

m64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 m64
Member since 2005 • 272 Posts

XBO >> PS4 > Wii U

It could be Wii U > PS4 but the Wii U one is very slow :-(

TC : you know you can use your pro controller by switching screen from the top right corner

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SolidGame_basic

@mikehockbourns said:

@charizard1605 said:

this, xbox one is the best looking and the best set up. wii u is plain, but effective sorta since you can't do much on that thing, ps4 is a confusing mess.

funny how charizard chose X1 considering he doesn't own one. I thought the X1 would be good when I got it but it's quite sluggish

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Whichever uses the least amount of memory.

Dibdibdobdobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23  Edited By Dibdibdobdobo
Member since 2008 • 6683 Posts

Hmmmm... You havent used the WiiU in recent times if you think you have to use the gamepad onry as i broke my Gamepad and was still able to play games upon my WiiU and navigate nearly all the menus at the time but Settings and Eshop but it has been updated if i remember correctly.

And anything but the WiiU. Its still tooooo SlOWWWW..

ZombeGoast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ZombeGoast
Member since 2010 • 437 Posts

WIi U because it has quick start and it also has folders.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

PC.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17817 Posts

its not the wiiu anyway (unless the PS4 and X1 are in really really bad shape).

its just so slow. everything about it is slow. loading games is slow. loading up the settings menu is slow. starting up is so slow that nintendo had to put in the quick start feature as a workaround. everything is slow!

it also hogs up 1GB of ram and i have no idea why. ok some of that is set aside in case you want to use a web browser while a game is running...but a GB. im running firefox with 7 tabs open and thats only taking up 470MB. what the hell does the wiiu OS need another 512MB + of ram for? the PS3 OS does more and only needs what...30MB of ram?

i know its out of this treads topic but my fav OS that i have used from the current crop of hardware is probably the vitas. i know "NOT THE BUTTONS!" but its fast, gets the job done and there is no fuss.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SolidGame_basic

@osan0 said:

its not the wiiu anyway (unless the PS4 and X1 are in really really bad shape).

its just so slow. everything about it is slow. loading games is slow. loading up the settings menu is slow. starting up is so slow that nintendo had to put in the quick start feature as a workaround. everything is slow!

it also hogs up 1GB of ram and i have no idea why. ok some of that is set aside in case you want to use a web browser while a game is running...but a GB. im running firefox with 7 tabs open and thats only taking up 470MB. what the hell does the wiiu OS need another 512MB + of ram for? the PS3 OS does more and only needs what...30MB of ram?

i know its out of this treads topic but my fav OS that i have used from the current crop of hardware is probably the vitas. i know "NOT THE BUTTONS!" but its fast, gets the job done and there is no fuss.

I just got the tearaway theme for my Vita and it sure is purdy

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

all i know is xbox one ui is garbage, everything is super slow. achievements/friend list literally take around 10 seconds to load up, thats slower than x360.

sirk1264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#29 sirk1264
Member since 2003 • 6242 Posts

I find the PS4 to be in first with the Wii U a close second. The PS4 OS is just easy to navigate and everything is easy to access. Honestly I find the Wii U to be easy to navigate too. I know that the game pad is always on but you can navigate the OS with the pro controller or the Wiimote easily without touching the gamepad. The Xbox One is the worst. I know Microsoft went with a Windows 8 look but I wish they simplified the OS more. It's not bad and not hard to learn but it definitely takes more time to learn where everything is.

sirk1264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#30 sirk1264
Member since 2003 • 6242 Posts

@Dibdibdobdobo: yes quick start is great on the Wii U. It's very easy to jump into a game right away.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SolidTy

@ghostwarrior786 said:

all i know is xbox one ui is garbage,

everything is super slow. achievements/friend list literally take around 10 seconds to load up, thats slower than x360.

I've noticed the same things, as have most Xbone users. The problem is honesty. Some people are reluctant to be honest in here. Forget comparing Xbone UI to Wii U UI or PS4 UI, compare the Xbone to 360 and you can see the Xbone does things slower. M$ hired a different team to design the Xbone UI and unfortunately, efficiency took a back seat to aesthetics/marketing. Gamespot.com weighed in on the UI as well in the video below. I've noticed this since day one when I turned it on. The Installs and updates are slower, the UI is slower, the 360 has yet to be bested. Even when the 360 launched, the original blade UI didn't cause the machine to freeze or turn black. In fact, the Blade UI was fast as hell. I miss it.

Here's the video at 3:57, where the Xbone takes some heat due to the Xbone's poor UI. I think Wii U is the worst though due to loading I've dealt with, but that's a different issue.

Basically the editor says he uses his PS4 more than his Xbone, for a surprising reason. He hates having to deal with the Xbone UI.

Loading Video...

Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts

Easily Xbox One. Then PS4. Last Wii U, it gets the job done... but it feels too archaic in my opinion.

Fairmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Fairmonkey  Online
Member since 2011 • 2310 Posts

Ps4. Very fast, easy to navigate, and modern looking. Xboxs windows 8 look looks tacky for a console in my opinion and the store is garbage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@SolidGame_basic said:

@mikehockbourns said:

@charizard1605 said:

funny how charizard chose X1 considering he doesn't own one. I thought the X1 would be good when I got it but it's quite sluggish

I don't own one, but I've used it extensively, and I like the OS. Problem?

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#35 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Xbox One probably, because it closely resembles an Windows OS.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22376 Posts

I prefer Xbone's... but both need work I think.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

I think the updates for the X1 have been optimising the OS. It's much faster from cold boot now and it seems more responsive than it used to be.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 no-scope-AK47
Member since 2012 • 3755 Posts

I have the ps4 and x1. The ps4 is simple and fast gets you to the game asap or online and even on updates or downloads you can still play vs the x1 making you wait around to get in the game then wait for install. I have played my friends wii u for mario kart 8 and the os seemed very slow to me. That was a couple months ago no idea if Nintendo fixed that yet or it was my imagination.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@no-scope-AK47: The OS is in fact very slow.

Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40  Edited By Fizzman
Member since 2003 • 9895 Posts

Xbox One. I am also expecting to see the Xbox One UI to improve and change a great deal during the Xbox One's life span. I am not expecting the PS4 UI to look much different in five years. PS4 UI is very barebones. Its not bad, but its not great.

Wii U UI is just a whole bunch of bleh.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#41  Edited By Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

Ease of use: PS4

Aesthetics: X1

Miiverse: go kill yourself

GTSaiyanjin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 GTSaiyanjin2
Member since 2005 • 6018 Posts

I detest the UI in the xbox one, its miles behind then the simplicity found in the xbox 360. How they went backwards I'll never know. Its made major improvements since launch, so it is getting better. But still not good enough for me. The Wii U US is nice and I do like it, but i dont like the fact that i have to use the tablet, like what I see on my TV is not the UI, and if I do switch it to the screen on my TV and then cant navigate it . Maybe I dont know how to use it properly idk, I dont use the console that much. The PS4 UI is simple and clean, and with the latest update that came out, its now more organized. It is missing features though, but for just gaming its all I could ask for.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@GTSaiyanjin2 said:

I detest the UI in the xbox one, its miles behind then the simplicity found in the xbox 360. How they went backwards I'll never know. Its made major improvements since launch, so it is getting better. But still not good enough for me. The Wii U US is nice and I do like it, but i dont like the fact that i have to use the tablet, like what I see on my TV is not the UI, and if I do switch it to the screen on my TV and then cant navigate it . Maybe I dont know how to use it properly idk, I dont use the console that much. The PS4 UI is simple and clean, and with the latest update that came out, its now more organized. It is missing features though, but for just gaming its all I could ask for.

On the Wii U, if you switch screens between the TV and the tablet, you can navigate anything on the TV with the Wiimote.

GTSaiyanjin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 GTSaiyanjin2
Member since 2005 • 6018 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@GTSaiyanjin2 said:

I detest the UI in the xbox one, its miles behind then the simplicity found in the xbox 360. How they went backwards I'll never know. Its made major improvements since launch, so it is getting better. But still not good enough for me. The Wii U is nice and I do like it, but i dont like the fact that i have to use the tablet, like what I see on my TV is not the UI, and if I do switch it to the screen on my TV, I then cant navigate it . Maybe I dont know how to use it properly idk, I dont use the console that much. The PS4 UI is simple and clean, and with the latest update that came out, its now more organized. It is missing features though, but for just gaming its all I could ask for.

On the Wii U, if you switch screens between the TV and the tablet, you can navigate anything on the TV with the Wiimote.

Oh alright, i'll have to sync wiimore next time I boot the system

Sebasgt1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#45 Sebasgt1
Member since 2014 • 57 Posts

I would say Xbox One. However, if you plan on buying games this year I would go with Play Station 4, because it has more games (perfect games) right now. If you are going to wait time, buy a Xbox One because it has greatness awaiting!

BTW: PC is ultimate race!

P.S. The Wii U is worthless!

Wickerman777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Wickerman777
Member since 2013 • 2164 Posts

MS screwed up X1's hardware but it unquestionably has the better UI and features.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Ghost120x

On a different note, I think the Nintendo e-shop on Wii u is better than the Xbox one store. The damn thing has to stop and take two seconds to refresh on every little thing you do.Here is my typical day on the shitty xbox store:

Look at a game screenshot and go back to read the the description....WAIT.....Refresh.

Look at a game clip, takes you off the store to upload studio, "I then wonder to myself why is everything a separate app, why can the video's just play off the store?" Anyway, I press B to I guess go back to the store, but guess what... upload studio minimizes and I'm on the home menu. "where the hell did the store go?!"

I hit the menu button and close upload studio and then go to the store again. Luckily it is on the same game page I left off, so I start the move the analog stick to navigate the cursor on the page. "why isn't it moving, is the Xbox frozen?" Oh wait, It's just refreshing again before I can move.

Now let me go back a page on the store to see the top games, So I hit B button. The store minimizes and I'm on the home menu again.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

PC

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Ghost120x

@Jankarcop said:

PC

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

PS4, feels a lot more cleaner faster and responsive.