WTF! Do people here actually cheer for the death of PC gaming?

• 169 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

raptorcountry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 raptorcountry
Member since 2007 • 482 Posts

When I'm not nestled inside of my PC gaming bunker, I come here sometimes to learn about the promising games coming out for the consoles. I only have an XBOX 360, but I don't pledge my allegience to any type of corporation (be it oil companies, grocery stores and, most importantly, console companies).

I understand that people here have different tastes and I respect that, and as it happens, I myself enjoy PC gaming much more than anything else, so I have my own bias. It's just that I find it funny (and indicative) how these people that only own one console hate on the PC so much because, by nature, they think it is a glorified abacus that is only geared towards nerds and niche players.

The current state of the industry is scary because some of you console gamers are becoming apologetics for your console of choice no matter what. It's really idiotic to watch you consumers apologize for your console's shortcomings and willingly going along with more bull**** that you have to put up with every few years or so.

I really hope that PC gaming lives forever because, unlike you, I dont want a second-rate PC that makes you pay for online service, silly gimmicks, second controllers, overly priced adapters and harddrives, limited media capabilities, and extra content priced at a premium that would otherwise be free if you owned a PC.

But probably the most important reason why PC gaming is and has been the most important relic of the industry is the capability of designing your own game. The PC community has to be the most talented bunch you can find, and if you're creative enough, you yourself can design your own ****ing game from scratch without being stifled by console limitations. LBP and The Forge looks like child's play in terms of the creative depth that is found in the thousands of mods being churned out each year. But if you're not that ambitious like me, you can always play AAA(A)games like spore and reap the benfits of having free, quality content later down the road.

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts
I agree with most of what you said.. especially the third paragraph.
wmc540

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 wmc540
Member since 2006 • 2620 Posts
We are the friends of the friendless...yes indeed... yes indeed.
vlin1108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 vlin1108
Member since 2007 • 1908 Posts

I thought developers chose Macs as a platform for creating their games.

Well, uh, more often than PC's.

citizen-zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 citizen-zero
Member since 2006 • 892 Posts
PC gaming is dying? Last time I checked, Spore is coming out in 8 days.
SaintsRowSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SaintsRowSam
Member since 2006 • 2807 Posts
hey its been going for 30 years, its good its dying. hahahahahahahha :lol: jk :P
primateface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 primateface
Member since 2008 • 1095 Posts

pc gaming isnt dead....it's just not thriving like it used to be...pc gaming cant die unless nvidia or ati go out of business or intel lol or amd well ati is amd now.

Ever since mplayer.com and heat.net closed down it's felt not as good as it used to be.

Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts

vlin1108

Its chosen for video editing.

sargentbotk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 sargentbotk
Member since 2007 • 4224 Posts

I seriously cannot see myself being a serious PC gamer like some of you. It's just weird to me...But I don't get how anyone would want it dead, or bash that portion of systems.

darkslider99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 darkslider99
Member since 2004 • 11374 Posts
PC gaming is dying? Last time I checked, Spore is coming out in 8 days.citizen-zero

Good job at not even reading his post.
LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

pc gaming isnt dead....it's just not thriving like it used to be...pc gaming cant die unless nvidia or ati go out of business or intel lol or amd well ati is amd now.

Ever since mplayer.com and heat.net closed down it's felt not as good as it used to be.

primateface

Actually, I think PC gaming is going to be on life support as long as Nvidia and Ati keep their polygon version of "My **** is bigger than yours" and developers don't choose to go back to the time when technology was a tool and not a goal itself.

raptorcountry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 raptorcountry

primateface

I never said it was dead. I never even said it was dying. I'm only saying that some people here want the PC dead for shortsighted reasons: less PC exclusives, etc.

TheGrat1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TheGrat1
Member since 2008 • 4330 Posts
I dont want PC gaming to die. In fact its fun to try to give our PC counterparts a good ribbing. I just want PC user snobbishness to die.
Franko_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#14 Franko_3
Member since 2003 • 5729 Posts

I dont want PC gaming to die. In fact its fun to try to give our PC counterparts a good ribbing. I just want PC user snobbishness to die.TheGrat1

because all pc user are snob... you are so arogant

Avatar image for carljohnson3456
carljohnson3456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#15 carljohnson3456
Member since 2007 • 12489 Posts
Long live PC gaming. (Seriously)
TAKE_IT_BACK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 TAKE_IT_BACK
Member since 2008 • 3850 Posts
I sort of agree but you aren't helping the PC gamer image.
mephisto_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mephisto_11
Member since 2008 • 1880 Posts
pc gaming isnt going anywhere. as long as devs have to make their games on pc and nvidia and ati are making graphics cards it wont be ignored.
sargentbotk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 sargentbotk
Member since 2007 • 4224 Posts

[QUOTE="TheGrat1"]I dont want PC gaming to die. In fact its fun to try to give our PC counterparts a good ribbing. I just want PC user snobbishness to die.Franko_3

because all user are snob... you are so arogant

Wow...he never said all PC users are snobs -_-

He was speaking about the general PC gaming community.

TheGrat1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 TheGrat1
Member since 2008 • 4330 Posts

[QUOTE="TheGrat1"]I dont want PC gaming to die. In fact its fun to try to give our PC counterparts a good ribbing. I just want PC user snobbishness to die.Franko_3

The majority or hermits I see on these forums are stuck up beyond belief. Always saying things like KB/M>all when its just an opinion, and posting Crysis pics in every graphics discussion thread. Its just so annoying.

redbaron3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 redbaron3
Member since 2004 • 984 Posts
if you really want to see anti PC people go make an account on IMDB.com and say anything about PC games in the video game forum and youll be punced on by hundreds of raveing idiots
Gamingcucumber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#21 Gamingcucumber
Member since 2004 • 5612 Posts

I just want PC gaming to take over again. But unlike most ignorant people around here I actually think that the PC market has dipped. Which I don't like. I liked when I was able to play, Diablo 2, Deus Ex, System Shock, Baldurs Gate, Age Of Empires, Starcraft quality games on my PC as a leading platform.

Now I have only Crysis which would give me even the slightest reason to upgrade my rig since World Of Warcraft. I don't like online on console's, I prefer M&K and I think that FPS, RTS and such belongs on a PC while I play RPG, Puzzle, TPS and Action/Adventure games on my 360.

Sadly this is not the case. PC is a drag at the moment.

Edit: I just completed System Shock 2 and Deus Ex, and my mind is blown.

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts
[QUOTE="Franko_3"]

[QUOTE="TheGrat1"]I dont want PC gaming to die. In fact its fun to try to give our PC counterparts a good ribbing. I just want PC user snobbishness to die.TheGrat1

The majority or hermits I see on these forums are stuck up beyond belief. Always saying things like KB/M>all when its just an opinion, and posting Crysis pics in every graphics discussion thread. Its just so annoying.

Eh, even that's tolerable. The ones that piss me off are the ones saying that consolites are poor and/or computer illiterate, and the ones saying that the only reason we're willing to play on consoles is because we don't know what we're missing on PC. Yes, please save us from ourselves and lead we unclean, savage consolites to the golden idol of the PC. :roll:
Mike1978Smith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Mike1978Smith
Member since 2005 • 2012 Posts

I really hope that PC gaming lives forever because, unlike you, I dont want a second-rate PC that makes you pay for online service, silly gimmicks, second controllers, overly priced adapters and harddrives, limited media capabilities, and extra content priced at a premium that would otherwise be free if you owned a PC.

raptorcountry

Wow! Everything's free if you own a PC! You even get free lapdances and backstage passes to all your favorite concerts!

And I thought newegg had some good deals! Where do you buy your PC stuff (particularly those free harddrives)?!

fatzebra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 fatzebra
Member since 2005 • 1470 Posts
1 reason. Jealousy. They know the PC is better in every single way, ther eis no argument. They are jealous of our graphics and speed and overall technology. Oh and one more thing, higher gaming standards.
lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 lowe0

1 reason. Jealousy. They know the PC is better in every single way, ther eis no argument. They are jealous of our graphics and speed and overall technology. Oh and one more thing, higher gaming standards.fatzebra
Please explain why, despite having a gaming PC (E6750/8800 GT) in the other room, I do the vast majority of my gaming on consoles. Who exactly am I jealous of?

Any more brilliant theories, Professor? :roll:

slickchris7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 slickchris7777
Member since 2005 • 1610 Posts

[QUOTE="fatzebra"]1 reason. Jealousy. They know the PC is better in every single way, ther eis no argument. They are jealous of our graphics and speed and overall technology. Oh and one more thing, higher gaming standards.lowe0

Please explain why, despite having a gaming PC (E6750/8800 GT) in the other room, I do the vast majority of my gaming on consoles. Who exactly am I jealous of?

We all have opinions. I haven't touched my ps3 in over a month, yet I play on my laptop everyday that I can.

Avatar image for FunkyHeadHunter
FunkyHeadHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 FunkyHeadHunter
Member since 2007 • 1758 Posts
[QUOTE="lowe0"]

[QUOTE="fatzebra"]1 reason. Jealousy. They know the PC is better in every single way, ther eis no argument. They are jealous of our graphics and speed and overall technology. Oh and one more thing, higher gaming standards.slickchris7777

We all have opinions. I haven't touched my ps3 in over a month, yet I play on my laptop everyday that I can.

Well I can say I have 3 pc's.....I play maybe 2% on my pc and the other 98% on all my consoles. It can go both ways. I dont want the pc to die...I just want pc gamers to take a step back and realize there is more out there...And im sure about 100% of pc gamers have played a console at one time or another.

You pick what you like and so do others...I would never ever in a million years give up gaming on a console. It just feels right.

evilbanshee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 evilbanshee
Member since 2003 • 659 Posts
[QUOTE="TheGrat1"][QUOTE="Franko_3"]

[QUOTE="TheGrat1"]I dont want PC gaming to die. In fact its fun to try to give our PC counterparts a good ribbing. I just want PC user snobbishness to die.lowe0

Eh, even that's tolerable. The ones that piss me off are the ones saying that consolites are poor and/or computer illiterate, and the ones saying that the only reason we're willing to play on consoles is because we don't know what we're missing on PC. Yes, save us from ourselves please lead we unclean, savage consolites to the golden idol of the PC. :roll:

I always see consolites saying "not everyone can afford a good PC" or "PCs are too complicated for most people."

nintendog66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 nintendog66
Member since 2006 • 2300 Posts
[QUOTE="Franko_3"]

[QUOTE="TheGrat1"]I dont want PC gaming to die. In fact its fun to try to give our PC counterparts a good ribbing. I just want PC user snobbishness to die.TheGrat1

Truth hurts, doesn't it?

dc337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 dc337
Member since 2008 • 2603 Posts

PC gaming isn't dying, just ask the millions of teenage girls and housewives who keep it alive by buying Nancy Drew and The Sims.

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/40312/Top-Selling-PC-Games-for-the-Week-Ending-July-12

But then if you don't like Nancy Drew, The Sims or WoW PC gaming might as well be dead. That is why I bought a 360.

I expect both ATI and NVIDIA to take stock hits next year. The days of the high-end, pc exclusive are coming to an end. I say good riddance, the upgrade your pc for a single game cycle was getting annoying. Bring on the multiplats.

Carmack on pc game sales http://blogs.pcworld.com/gameon/archives/007422.html

Avatar image for Tragic_Kingdom7
Tragic_Kingdom7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Tragic_Kingdom7
Member since 2008 • 4011 Posts

This is why some people want PC gaming to die:

aliblabla2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 aliblabla2007
Member since 2007 • 16756 Posts

PC gaming isn't dying, just ask the millions of teenage girls and housewives who keep it alive by buying Nancy Drew and The Sims.

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/40312/Top-Selling-PC-Games-for-the-Week-Ending-July-12

But then if you don't like Nancy Drew, The Sims or WoW PC gaming might as well be dead. That is why I bought a 360.

I expect both ATI and NVIDIA to take stock hits next year. The days of the high-end, pc exclusive are coming to an end. I say good riddance, the upgrade your pc for a single game cycle was getting annoying. Bring on the multiplats.

dc337

Crysis, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., The Witcher, The Orange Box, Call of Duty 4, Command and Conquer 3, Company of Heroes and such all being past the platinum mark on PC and all of which were released in the last two years say otherwise. :roll:

I suppose that if I don't like the Wii, console gaming "might as well" be dead.

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Espada12

[QUOTE="TheGrat1"][QUOTE="Franko_3"]

[QUOTE="TheGrat1"]I dont want PC gaming to die. In fact its fun to try to give our PC counterparts a good ribbing. I just want PC user snobbishness to die.lowe0

Eh, even that's tolerable. The ones that piss me off are the ones saying that consolites are poor and/or computer illiterate, and the ones saying that the only reason we're willing to play on consoles is because we don't know what we're missing on PC. Yes, save us from ourselves please lead we unclean, savage consolites to the golden idol of the PC. :roll:

Well alot of people from what I've seen in my small time as a registered member(used to read but decided to register :P)console only guys always say PCs are too expensive or too complicated, which makes me believe that the standard console only person(on this board) is either

A. Computer Illiterate

B. Doesn't have alot of extra money.

Because that's what their arguments lead to.

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 lowe0

[QUOTE="lowe0"][QUOTE="TheGrat1"][QUOTE="Franko_3"]

[QUOTE="TheGrat1"]I dont want PC gaming to die. In fact its fun to try to give our PC counterparts a good ribbing. I just want PC user snobbishness to die.Espada12

Well alot of people from what I've seen in my small time as a registered member(used to read but decided to register :P)console only guys always say PCs are too expensive or too complicated, which makes me believe that the standard console only person(on this board) is either

A. Computer Illiterate

B. Doesn't have alot of extra money.

Because that's what their arguments lead to.

Nah, it couldn't be that they compared the costs of a PC (both in cash up-front and effort expended doing things that aren't playing a game) vs. the costs of a console and found that the PC didn't provide a proportional increase in value. :roll:
raptorcountry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 raptorcountry
[QUOTE="raptorcountry"]

Mike1978Smith

Wow! Everything's free if you own a PC! You even get free lapdances and backstage passes to all your favorite concerts!

And I thought newegg had some good deals! Where do you buy your PC stuff (particularly those free harddrives)?!

You raise a great point even though I never said all that stuff is free on PC. Still, you're right. I hope you typed that pearl of wisdom on your wii.

Patatopan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36 Patatopan
Member since 2008 • 1890 Posts
I have to agree with you in every way, I've always seen a huge gap between Pc gaming and consoles. It's like consoles are meant for people who want to casualy go with gaming and involve themselves in the worlds that these imaginative developers create, and while you're able to do that also on Pc, Pc gaming also allows people to unleash they're own imaginations.
svetzenlether

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 svetzenlether
Member since 2003 • 3082 Posts
[QUOTE="primateface"]

LordQuorthon

Actually, I think PC gaming is going to be on life support as long as Nvidia and Ati keep their polygon version of "My **** is bigger than yours" and developers don't choose to go back to the time when technology was a tool and not a goal itself.

This is honestly one of the best posts I've read in awhile here, and you said about technology just hit the nail right on the head.

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 lowe0
I have to agree with you in every way, I've always seen a huge gap between Pc gaming and consoles. It's like consoles are meant for people who want to casualy go with gaming and involve themselves in the worlds that these imaginative developers create, and while you're able to do that also on Pc, Pc gaming also allows people to unleash they're own imaginations.Patatopan
"Passively" might be a better description. My preference for consoles stems from the fact that I don't have to get involved in the process; I sit back, relax, and am entertained.
Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Espada12

Nah, it couldn't be that they compared the costs of a PC (both in cash up-front and effort expended doing things that aren't playing a game) vs. the costs of a console and found that the PC didn't provide a proportional increase in value. :roll:lowe0

Maybe so, but my point still stands, if people use these arguments obviously a stereotype is going to form.

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Espada12

[QUOTE="Patatopan"]I have to agree with you in every way, I've always seen a huge gap between Pc gaming and consoles. It's like consoles are meant for people who want to casualy go with gaming and involve themselves in the worlds that these imaginative developers create, and while you're able to do that also on Pc, Pc gaming also allows people to unleash they're own imaginations.lowe0
"Passively" might be a better description. My preference for consoles stems from the fact that I don't have to get involved in the process; I sit back, relax, and am entertained.

What do you mean by involved in the process?

strudel420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 strudel420
Member since 2006 • 3687 Posts
Only the stupid ones.
lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 lowe0

What do you mean by involved in the process?

Espada12

Any sort of unnecessary effort - anything from routine PC maintenance (checking up on drivers, restarting for Windows updates, etc.) to acquiring content (I'd rather pay for professionally-made DLC than spend time sifting through the community's output trying to find the good mods among the rest) to playing online (I'd rather just select who I want to play with and start a match, rather than worry about whether they're using the same matchmaking app as me, the same voice chat app as me, what server has the lowest ping for all of us, etc.).

Console gamers have to give up a lot of control over our experience for all that convenience, but for me, it's completely worth it. I enjoyed PC gaming a lot more when I was in college and had more free time than I knew what to do with, but now that I'm out and working, I'd rather have the convenience of a console. I still keep a reasonably up-to-date gaming PC around, but not much interests me on it.

raptorcountry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 raptorcountry

dc337

Most of the posters here, especially this scholar, are only reinforcing my point. As a 360 owner I'm sure you don't mind paying extra for more(bitesize) content and online fees. I wouldn't mind if all the PC exclusives went to consoles as long as they stay on PC. Starcraft 2 on the 360 pad would crush your will to live.

Freddie9027361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#44 Freddie9027361
Member since 2003 • 1746 Posts

vlin1108

Dude. nobody programs on a Mac.

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 lowe0
[QUOTE="vlin1108"]

Freddie9027361

Dude. nobody programs on a Mac.

Yeah, all those iPhone apps out there just spring fully-formed from the forehead of Jobs. The same goes for Mac apps. Even MacOS X itself must be programmed on Windows, because nobody programs on Macs, right? :roll:

Hell, I'm a programmer, and I'm typing this on a Mac right now. Seriously, where do you people get this stuff?

raptorcountry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 raptorcountry
^ You sound suprised. The only other topic that goes beyond PC ignorance is Mac ignorance.
Hellsing2o2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Hellsing2o2
Member since 2004 • 3504 Posts
[QUOTE="slickchris7777"][QUOTE="lowe0"]

[QUOTE="fatzebra"]1 reason. Jealousy. They know the PC is better in every single way, ther eis no argument. They are jealous of our graphics and speed and overall technology. Oh and one more thing, higher gaming standards.FunkyHeadHunter

Well I can say I have 3 pc's.....I play maybe 2% on my pc and the other 98% on all my consoles. It can go both ways. I dont want the pc to die...I just want pc gamers to take a step back and realize there is more out there...And im sure about 100% of pc gamers have played a console at one time or another.

You pick what you like and so do others...I would never ever in a million years give up gaming on a console. It just feels right.

And I feel that consoles are destroying video games as a whole, Consoles have made games more and more casual, and lower quality. I think of consoles/console makers now the same way I think of pop music stars like britny spears and crap, they're music sucks, but many people still like it, because they don't know what good music is

Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts
I dont want to create a game, i want to play games. I could care less about mods or open source or whatever.
Kez1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#49 Kez1984
Member since 2007 • 4548 Posts

Only the stupid ones.strudel420

Yup, pretty much.

CajunShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 CajunShooter
Member since 2006 • 5276 Posts

I just laugh at how any true gamer would want any one system to fail.

The day their is only one option for gaming is the day that gaming dies.

Competition is a good thing and the gamers benefit the most.

It is one thing to say how much you like your console of choice, but to hear some people say they hope a company fails just blows my mind.

Do you really think a company like Microsoft would have shelled out all that money for a 3 year warranty on their consoles if there were no other consoles?

A one console world would be terrible because that company would grow apathetic and feel no need to ever raise the bar and do something different.