Would you sell a mostly useless GTX 1080 to get a PS4 Pro+$$$?

• 97 results
Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

Got two of them in an SLI set up but sadly SLI has been lacking lately. Here are the current problems:

-DOOM which is my main game at the moment doesn't support it.

-The Division scales very poorly.

-The Witcher 3 also scales very poorly.

-Battlefield 1 at the moment flickers for many SLI users. A patch is in the making but will take a while.

-Titanfall 2 doesn't support it.

-Arkham Knight doesn't support it.

-Gears of War 4 doesn't support it. It was said it would on launch but still doesn't.

-Quantum Break doesn't support it.

I mean 80% of the time my second card is doing nothing. Although a single 1080 isn't enough to draw 4K at 60fps it'd probably be preferable to play at High/4K/60fps on a single one+PS4 Pro. I got a KS8000 which is a terrific TV for 4K HDR gaming and the support for PC HDR is lacking at the moment.

A Pro is selling for 500$ in Canada and a brand new GTX 1080 for 900$+. So I'd still have spare change lol. In fact I could buy a Pro and a X1 Slim(not that I will) but I wouldn't say no to 300$ and a PS4 Pro.

What says you fellows?

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7712 Posts

I'd pick up Pro either way, but ye SLI just isn't worth it.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Juub1990

@howmakewood said:

I'd pick up Pro either way, but ye SLI just isn't worth it.

Yeah it's gotten downright awful lately. With DX12 the support now falls to the developers and most of them can't be bothered to make drivers for an exotic configuration 1% of their customers use. 980's in SLI were pretty glorious in 1440p but 1080's in 4K kinda blows. I mean I have 1,000$+ worth of graphics horsepower and can't get max settings in the latest games at 60fps lol.

Not to mention some PS4 games look very promising.

Jshoelace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Jshoelace
Member since 2008 • 846 Posts

I'd sell the card, pick up the cheapest PS4 I could find, buy The Last Guardian and Bloodborne, and then use what money I have left on 'medical' marijuana so I can enjoy the games.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Juub1990

@Jshoelace said:

I'd sell the card, pick up the cheapest PS4 I could find, buy The Last Guardian and Bloodborne, and then use what money I have left on 'medical' marijuana so I can enjoy the games.

Medical weed is only legal under prescription where I live. We're getting there though.

At that point I think a standard PS4 is out of the question for me too.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

Do it man, SLI is a waste.

A single 1080 will max out everything for a long time anyway. Tons of quality looking PS4 games coming soon, the Pro will serve you well.

Jshoelace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Jshoelace
Member since 2008 • 846 Posts

@Juub1990: that's something.. I wish it was the same here in the UK. Not that getting it is a problem but would be nice if it was legalised.

Anyway, keeping it on topic, it sucks that sli is a waste, I almost did it with 980ti's.

EvanTheGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 EvanTheGamer
Member since 2009 • 1550 Posts

Yes

thepclovingguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By thepclovingguy
Member since 2016 • 2059 Posts

As a pcgamer I agree sli is a pain in the ass, often it lacks the support it needs. Funny how dx12 was supposed to improve sli gaming immensely. Dx12 has been overhyped, so far it hasnt done us any good.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Juub1990

@thepclovingguy said:

As a pcgamer I agree sli is a pain in the ass, often it lacks the support it needs. Funny how dx12 was supposed to improve sli gaming immensely. Dx12 has been overhyped, so far it hasnt done us as much good.

My thoughts exactly. It's gotten all kinds of bad lately. I get pissed by the amount of games not giving a damn about SLI. DX12 ironically made it a lot worse than it used to be. At least before it was up to NVIDIA and the dev to support it. Now it's mostly up to the dev and most couldn't care less.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

SLI/Crossfire seems like it is on its way out. The support just isn't there. A single card 4K solution is really just around the corner in terms of card generations. You probably would get more use out of having a pro than a card that sits idle in a pcie slot 75% or more of the time.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

Is sad because promises were made about SLI and DX12,and how it would allow finally to take full advantage of the feature.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

For gaming, yeah, if it really is borderline useless. Thing is, some people can use the 1080, even in SLi, to make money. So depends on the situation.

For gaming, SLi/xfire has never really been good at scaling, especially now since some games are horribly optimized for the system.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#14 kvally
Member since 2014 • 8445 Posts

I would sell a mostly useless PS Pro for a GTX1080.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34666 Posts

**** SLI, sell one of your cards. One is already good enough to call your PC a magnificent beast.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59071 Posts

970 does the job fine with pretty much any game.

Care not SLI.

WallofTruth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17 WallofTruth
Member since 2013 • 3471 Posts

Go for it, SLI is almost useless in most games and a high-end PC + PS4 Pro will give you the best gaming experience and access to the best games out there.

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#18 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4400 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

970 does the job fine with pretty much any game.

Would use that money for a Switch, not a PS4.

I have good performance on my 980Ti cards in SLI.

However, the issue that's coming to fruition is the fact that developers are in control for DX12 and if a game will support multi GPUs or not. Let's face it. Any game that will be cross platform, why would a developer bother with SLI/Crossfire support if consoles don't utilize multiple GPUs?

DX11/DX10/DX9, they're handled at the driver level and this is something that Nvidia can control. Last I heard BF1 has SLI support (not sure how good it is, I don't have the game) in DX11. But DX12 doesn't support SLI because the dev didn't code the game to run multiple GPUs in DX12.

Nvidia has done no one wrong with SLI support. It's still not perfect by any means and some games will function better than others. Nvidia still offers SLI support in games that they can control it at the driver level. Any DX12 game that doesn't support multiple GPUs, the blame is on the developer.

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BobRossPerm
Member since 2015 • 2886 Posts

If you've already got a PS4, keep it and kit out another computer. make a media PC or something like that. I've always wanted to do that in my living room.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

Another option is to sell your 1080 and hoard the money and wait for the 1080ti, see if that can do 4k 60fps.

However I'm not sure how much power the ti will have over the version you have.

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#21 svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

SLI/Crossfire has always been rather pointless. Which is why I don't understand companies like Alienware still pushing multi GPU setups.

Up to you what you do with the money :)

Kruiz_Bathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#22 Kruiz_Bathory
Member since 2009 • 4765 Posts

@Jshoelace: yeah you got that right buddy.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

You make too many worthless topics. Nothing better to do with your time? We all know yiu are not buying a PS4 Pro. You just made a topic about Sony not having enough games with good gameplay in your opinion.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

Sure, do it, but keep in mind that you lose your position of being the only one to talk about true 4k gaming :P

JtoThaMtoThaP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By JtoThaMtoThaP
Member since 2016 • 1016 Posts

No and I have a 1080 and it's far from useless, use it almost everyday for 4k gaming and 2k gaming...I do need to get it replaced before it catches fire though

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56214 Posts

@Juub1990: I don't get it? Why not just sell/trade your 1080 for 1080TI since we all know it's gonna release very soon?

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

@quadknight said:

A single 1080 will max out everything for a long time anyway. Tons of quality looking PS4 games coming soon, the Pro will serve you well.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#28 pyro1245  Online
Member since 2003 • 9407 Posts

Yeah. I have to agree with others here. A single 1080 will be plenty of power for the foreseeable future. I've never been a fan of the multi-GPU setup. Makes everything really hot and the support is usually less than stellar (although in those games where the devs do provide good support you can see almost perfect scaling - but you have two 1080's and you could probably run an 8K display if everything worked properly).

Now... I don't know if I'd but a PS4 pro with the extra cash. Maybe a sick monitor: IPS panel, G-Sync, 120+Hz, 2K-4K native-res. Maybe even an ultra-wide....

You could also keep them both and just disable one when you get lousy performance. Anyone who can afford two GTX 1080's probably already has a sick monitor.

sell it and build a server.

@davillain- said:

@Juub1990: I don't get it? Why not just sell/trade your 1080 for 1080TI since we all know it's gonna release very soon?

also a good option.

@ArchoNils2 said:

Sure, do it, but keep in mind that you lose your position of being the only one to talk about true 4k gaming :P

actually... one 1080 is enough to do 4K at 60fps... maybe not on Ultra settings in more intensive game... but it can still get there. (here's a random graph. it's an average of 15 games because I'm kind of lazy and we don't need a post with tons of pics)

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

I would get the PS4 pro anyways, but if the 1080 can finance it, sure.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

I wish more people understood the futility in multi-card configurations. Even when it does technically work, the fact that you spend double for the graphics hardware only to get a 20-25% boost in performance already makes it not worth the investment; talk about diminishing returns. All that before taking into consideration lack of support and spotty optimization is some cases. Seems like people insisting on 2 or 4 GPUs just want it more for bragging rights than any tangible results they can get from it.

If you're gaming with a 1080, then you're much more fortunate than so many other gamers out there. Just make the best with what you have. Hell even for mid to high end builds, it's futile to obsess over Ultra at 1080/1440 resolution. Sure you can play at "Near Ultra" (most settings at max with a few here and there dialed back) but in reality most PC gamers are fine with High settings and even a Med to Ultra mix, that provides outstanding visual fidelity.

So it should be no different with 4K gaming. Which a single 1080 can manage so long as you're not fixated on Ultra, and make reasonable adjustments to get that ideal 60 fps that will still get solid visual performance.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#31  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

I would. SLIing GTX 1080s is not worth it. The performance gains are miserable for the few games that actually support dual GPUs.

It seems the time of viable dual-GPU gaming rigs are at an end. Single card power is so high that it's a waste of space in your case to throw a second GPU in. Only in situations where you need to do some serious number crunching or rendering would a multi-GPU rig be viable.

@AdobeArtist: Dual GPU rigs used to give anywhere from 50-90% performance boosts depending on the game. However today most developers don't bother with trying to optimize for dual GPU rigs because there are so few and single card performance is so high.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

@Wasdie said:

I would. SLIing GTX 1080s is not worth it. The performance gains are miserable for the few games that actually support dual GPUs.

It seems the time of viable dual-GPU gaming rigs are at an end. Single card power is so high that it's a waste of space in your case to throw a second GPU in. Only in situations where you need to do some serious number crunching or rendering would a multi-GPU rig be viable.

@AdobeArtist: Dual GPU rigs used to give anywhere from 50-90% performance boosts depending on the game. However today most developers don't bother with trying to optimize for dual GPU rigs because there are so few and single card performance is so high.

That may be for "back in the day". But I was going mainly in current trends, what my research showed when I was getting my first custom PC build just over a year ago. That the gains for dual card are sufficiently too low for the cost.

And as I'm not at premium level with just a GTX 1060, I've got room for growth just from upgrading to the higher end cards. But I'm quite happy with what the 1060 is delivering in ultrawide 1080 gaming or what it could perform in conventional 1440p. Since 4K and 1440 ultrawide is out of my reach, I'm at the optimal cost efficiency of GPU to display within my budget parameters, and the option to grow on single card upgrades that makes SLI irrelevant.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I'd use the extra card for multi-monitor. Sure, a single card can do multi-monitor as well. But, two cards mean you don't compromise performance.

Too bad developers don't do what FSX did...... Multiple windows across multiple monitors simultaneously.

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

Yeah SLI is basically dead, it sucks it was never fully supported, it's been a thing for a very very long time now and it never really "took off", which I am disappointed in. I Crossfired 2 6950's when they came out and in some games the performance boost was around 90%, it was amazing, but most games wouldn't use it at all or the performance would be worse (GTA4).

Sell the second card and buy whatever you want with the money, never go back to SLI as no one supports it anymore.

dantesergei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35  Edited By dantesergei
Member since 2004 • 2254 Posts

@quadknight said:

Second this.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#36  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17834 Posts

Well... they are both mostly useless. SLI sucks and PS4 Pro is only good for exclusives. That being said, I do have a single GTX 1080 and I just bought a PS4 Pro yesterday so that I could play The Last Guardian at 30fps. Consoles are garbage.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26649 Posts

I probably would, but personally, I just always run with single card setups. Saves a lot of hassle in the long run.

BIOKILLER123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 BIOKILLER123
Member since 2010 • 1077 Posts

Yeah, sell it. Imo, you wasted your money buying 2. One is enough. As what other people have stated it's not worth it.

KudoTsunodaFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 KudoTsunodaFan
Member since 2015 • 65 Posts

Put that money towards Xbox Scorpio instead.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Yeah I'd go for it. The Pro may be nothing special from a power perspective, but getting one enables you to expand your games library. That second 1080 can't say the same for itself, and as you noted isn't really pulling its cost in bonuses.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Xabiss
Member since 2012 • 4749 Posts

I would sell one of the 1080s. Hell like most people have said SLI is just not worth it and one 1080 is plenty for most games right now. If you can't play a game at 4K down it to 1440P and it still looks good on a 4K monitor.

If the exclusives appeal to you then pick up the Pro and you will get much more value out of that then setting big numbers in benchmarks. :P If not save the money and purchase the 1180 when it hits, but get top dollar for the 1080 right now!

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Is it viable to do dual or triple 4K monitors right now?

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts

I found SLI worth it for the games that I played.

But that is because I upgraded back in 2014 with 2 970s.

Without the 2 970s I couldn't play The Witcher 3 modded at 1440p while retaining playable frame rates.

Even a single 980ti was not enough. A single 980ti was dropping below 30fps.

So I consider it well worth it for me but it depends on the games you play.

I have a 65 inch Samsung KS8000 TV and will upgrade my rig next year with 4k gaming in mind.

If the 1080ti is not enough then I might SLI again or wait for next gen Nvidia cards.

Some games can run fine at 4k ultra settings but others are pushing it like AC Unity runs around 30fps at ultra settings with 4k res.

Rocket League is great at 4k 60fps but it doesn't really stress my system using only around 58-60% of my GPUs while at max 4k 60fps.

I have tried the new Agony PC demo at 4k max settings and was able to get SLI working to push frame rate above 30fps and later into the 40s.

Without SLI the frame rate for that demo was not playable.

It is annoying that some games I cannot even force SLI but some like Arkham Knight I was able to use the second card for physx which helped quite a bit with performance.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

@Juub1990 said:
@thepclovingguy said:

As a pcgamer I agree sli is a pain in the ass, often it lacks the support it needs. Funny how dx12 was supposed to improve sli gaming immensely. Dx12 has been overhyped, so far it hasnt done us as much good.

My thoughts exactly. It's gotten all kinds of bad lately. I get pissed by the amount of games not giving a damn about SLI. DX12 ironically made it a lot worse than it used to be. At least before it was up to NVIDIA and the dev to support it. Now it's mostly up to the dev and most couldn't care less.

SLI support has gone to shit lately. I run one card currently (980 ti). Get the PS4 Pro and enjoy bro.

Spitfire-Six

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Spitfire-Six
Member since 2014 • 1378 Posts

@Juub1990 said:

Got two of them in an SLI set up but sadly SLI has been lacking lately. Here are the current problems:

-DOOM which is my main game at the moment doesn't support it.

-The Division scales very poorly.

-The Witcher 3 also scales very poorly.

-Battlefield 1 at the moment flickers for many SLI users. A patch is in the making but will take a while.

-Titanfall 2 doesn't support it.

-Arkham Knight doesn't support it.

-Gears of War 4 doesn't support it. It was said it would on launch but still doesn't.

-Quantum Break doesn't support it.

I mean 80% of the time my second card is doing nothing. Although a single 1080 isn't enough to draw 4K at 60fps it'd probably be preferable to play at High/4K/60fps on a single one+PS4 Pro. I got a KS8000 which is a terrific TV for 4K HDR gaming and the support for PC HDR is lacking at the moment.

A Pro is selling for 500$ in Canada and a brand new GTX 1080 for 900$+. So I'd still have spare change lol. In fact I could buy a Pro and a X1 Slim(not that I will) but I wouldn't say no to 300$ and a PS4 Pro.

What says you fellows?

Keep it, we still have not entered the realm where engines are better built to support Dx12 right now they are still not implementing multi adapter feature. I remember there being a problem with SLI profiles but there was a fix for it just not very straight forward

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts

I tried SLI once, not doing that again. Sell it.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

Sell it and save that money for an Xbox Scorpio the Worlds most powerful Console.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

@xhawk27 said:

Sell it and save that money for an Xbox Scorpio the Worlds most powerful Console.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

@quadknight said:
@xhawk27 said:

Salty are we? Yeah you Salty! :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
Member since 2002 • 7110 Posts

Go buy an NES Mini, it's digital packed in library is worth more than the PS4/PooPro. LOL