Would you rather see a Nintendo live press conference, or a Direct/Digital Event at E3 this year?

• 71 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

Poll Would you rather see a Nintendo live press conference, or a Direct/Digital Event at E3 this year? (72 votes)

Live Conference! 76%
Digital Event/Direct! 24%

Nintendo has intimated that it intends to come back to E3 this year in a big way. A lot of us are assuming this means they will have a big stage show- is that what you want? Or would you rather they stick to their Digital Event/Direct format?

Personally, while I love their Digital Events (they're well paced, fun, and with no fluff), I want them to do a live conference this year. This is the first year with Switch on the market, and Nintendo has everything to gain and nothing to lose- it needs to come out swinging, and demonstrate that it stands fully behind the Switch. For mainstream cachet, it is necessary that Nintendo be 'seen at E3' and that it 'win', and you won't do that with a Digital Direct.

• 
Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#51 Desmonic  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 19990 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide said:
@Desmonic said:

I myself prefer a proper, full-on live event.

That said the Directs are great for quarterly updates (or even monthly updates, if need be) for the upcoming games/news of the platform(s). However they'll never reach the "hype" of a live event (IMO).

In an age where information travels faster than the speed of light live events feel archaic. You can get the same information out there by spending less money and just showing trailers and gameplay footage. Playing a game on stage never works. Video game industry folks have no personality or showmanship. These are introverts who are asked to awkwardly show up on stage and speak in front of hundreds of people and it never works. The hype is all the same, live show or no. Nintendo really got it right dumping live events for digital ones. Considering we're all watching from our computer screens what's the difference anymore? It's a gargantuan waste of money and resources.

lolno

Ask Sony about their 2013 E3. You know, that one E3 in which they buried MS on their own mistakes? Can't do that pre-recorded content bruh. Then come back and tell me live events with proper hype don't work.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@Desmonic said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@Desmonic said:

That said the Directs are great for quarterly updates (or even monthly updates, if need be) for the upcoming games/news of the platform(s). However they'll never reach the "hype" of a live event (IMO).

In an age where information travels faster than the speed of light live events feel archaic. You can get the same information out there by spending less money and just showing trailers and gameplay footage. Playing a game on stage never works. Video game industry folks have no personality or showmanship. These are introverts who are asked to awkwardly show up on stage and speak in front of hundreds of people and it never works. The hype is all the same, live show or no. Nintendo really got it right dumping live events for digital ones. Considering we're all watching from our computer screens what's the difference anymore? It's a gargantuan waste of money and resources.

lolno

Ask Sony about their 2013 E3. You know, that one E3 in which they buried MS on their own mistakes? Can't do that pre-recorded content bruh. Then come back and tell me live events with proper hype don't work.

Sony E3 didn't bury MS. PS4 costing $100 less and having better policies did. Both of which could have been communicated with a digital event. These "gamer BURNZ" are just LOLZ for gamers. Real people, more specifically the 50 million owners of the PS4, don't give a crap or even remember that event.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#53 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

@Seabas989 said:
@bowserjr123 said:

Live conference, definitely...but, it would have to have Reggie front and center.

Agreed.

Ninty need to look at something like E3 2006 to continue their momentum.

That press conference still brings a tear to my eye.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#54  Edited By GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9730 Posts

I would like for them to do a live press conference.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By osan0
Member since 2004 • 17817 Posts

i would prefer a live conference. i mean thats what E3 is all about. a live event where a company drops bombshells and generates hype. its a shame they dont do it any more because when they get it right they get it oh so right. i mean that trailer for BOTW shown at the switch details direct...thats an E3 winning trailer right there. so they can still deliver. but they also get it so completely wrong and that can be fun (and distressing) to see also jsut like all 3 have made of mess of E3 from time to time (the PS3 reveal, a year where MS basically talked about xbox live services for an hour, pele at E3 (why?)).

but im old school. at the end of the day its still a dinosaur in the industry. the directs are more effective and having the treehouse instead is an inspired idea. in terms of controlling the message and getting directly to customers nintendos approach is more up to date.

tonitorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#56  Edited By tonitorsi
Member since 2006 • 8692 Posts

I want them to convince me to buy a Switch over a Scorpio or a PS4 Pro and its many Destiny 2, Red Dead Redemption and Star Wars bundles this holiday season.

• Give me an official release date for Super Mario Odyssey and announce stand out titles on E3 that will capitalise on the Switch mobility, uniqueness of use and why Switch is better docked
  • Announce Pokemon Switch with a white Switch bundle ready to be cooked for the Holidays and Black Friday. A red Christmas Switch Mario Odyssey bundle will move units for them as well.
  • Take the Microsoft approach and announce a year in advance, a Nintendo Switch XL Pro with a bigger screen & boosted hardware to match current gen competitors. All so that there isn't a vast lead between the Switch Pro and OG Switch (like PS4 and PS4 Pro) and have them grow together going forward
  • Do it like Sony, and provide a stupendous presentation that will make your conference stand out this year
  • Highlight improvements to the Switch UI and the eShop DURING the Nintendo conference and not after it on some internet website
  • KEEP IT COMING with Third Pary relations and Third Part project acquisitions (like Bayonetta 2 Wii U, for example) if they want to remain combative this generation

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Desmonic  Moderator

@Bread_or_Decide said:
@Desmonic said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@Desmonic said:

lolno

Sony E3 didn't bury MS. PS4 costing $100 less and having better policies did. Both of which could have been communicated with a digital event. These "gamer BURNZ" are just LOLZ for gamers. Real people, more specifically the 50 million owners of the PS4, don't give a crap or even remember that event.

Pretty sure Sony buried MS that E3 (and it was 100% MS's fault too). Without the quick use of MS's mistake, Sony's E3 that year would have been rather *mild*.

Oh, the things announced at the live E3 in a way made to directly contrast with your main rival (which they couldn't have done with pre-recorded stuff given how close they were to each other) didn't do anything? Mmmkay. I'mma call a massive amount of BS on that.

Things like the live GoW demo with an orchestra work well on a live setting, not on a pre-recorded one. The cheers from the crowd, be they paid or not (I've been reading for years that both companies get people to cheer every single thing, but alas no concrete evidence on my part so far) create a general feeling of excitement not only on the actual room but also the stream, that simply isn't there on a pre-recorded event. Things like "Oh, before I leave, here is one more thing..." work well with live events, not pre-recorded events.

Sure, if you're a fan of thing X, you'll get hyped anyway, but you need to remember that you're not the only sale these companies are looking to make.

---

Ask yourself why companies like Apple, MS, Samsung, Google, Sony (on CES & other similar events), and many more always do live events to announce their products/services and don't just share an online video (which do seem to appear later on anyway). Remember these are, for the most part, companies on the very edge of tech. Surely they, of all companies, wouldn't do archaic events!! SURELY!!!!!

Plus, as some mentioned above (correctly), these events also allow a shitload of journalists/bloggers/tech enthusiasts/etc to get actual hands-on experiences with ease. That alone can be your greatest weapon if you have a good product (like Nintendo now has, for example), especially if after your presentation you left them feeling all excited about what they just saw.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#58 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41534 Posts

@davillain- said:

That makes no sense what-so-ever! Everyone's been asking Nintendo to come back and do live stage at E3 for years now and digital was okay but it got so tedious over the years now and I'm glad there going back to live. Granted, Nintendo has a good start with Switch and it makes sense to go live now during the Switch hype raving.

"Everyone's been asking Nintendo to come back and do live stage at E3 for years now"

Who? System Warrors? GAFers? Not necessarily "everyone" there. And for what? Really for hype, or for more comedy material like amateur versions of three Daily Show alumni?

Besides, it's not like Nintendo disallows the press to cover their damn directs.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#59 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56105 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:

"Everyone's been asking Nintendo to come back and do live stage at E3 for years now"

Who? System Warrors? GAFers? Not necessarily "everyone" there. And for what? Really for hype, or for more comedy material like amateur versions of three Daily Show alumni?

Besides, it's not like Nintendo disallows the press to cover their damn directs.

I was referring to the gaming community in general, I like to see Nintendo go live again. They don't have to go live every year at E3, changing the pace is good of course and how about we just wait and see if this was the right call. Though they need experts interpreters this time since one of the problems when Nintendo goes lives stage is the translators can't keep up.

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 BobRossPerm
Member since 2015 • 2886 Posts

Live conference definately. I want to see real time hype for some Nintendo games.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Bread_or_Decide

@Desmonic said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@Desmonic said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@Desmonic said:

lolno

Pretty sure Sony buried MS that E3 (and it was 100% MS's fault too). Without the quick use of MS's mistake, Sony's E3 that year would have been rather *mild*.

Oh, the things announced at the live E3 in a way made to directly contrast with your main rival (which they couldn't have done with pre-recorded stuff given how close they were to each other) didn't do anything? Mmmkay. I'mma call a massive amount of BS on that.

Things like the live GoW demo with an orchestra work well on a live setting, not on a pre-recorded one. The cheers from the crowd, be they paid or not (I've been reading for years that both companies get people to cheer every single thing, but alas no concrete evidence on my part so far) create a general feeling of excitement not only on the actual room but also the stream, that simply isn't there on a pre-recorded event. Things like "Oh, before I leave, here is one more thing..." work well with live events, not pre-recorded events.

Sure, if you're a fan of thing X, you'll get hyped anyway, but you need to remember that you're not the only sale these companies are looking to make.

---

Ask yourself why companies like Apple, MS, Samsung, Google, Sony (on CES & other similar events), and many more always do live events to announce their products/services and don't just share an online video (which do seem to appear later on anyway). Remember these are, for the most part, companies on the very edge of tech. Surely they, of all companies, wouldn't do archaic events!! SURELY!!!!!

Plus, as some mentioned above (correctly), these events also allow a shitload of journalists/bloggers/tech enthusiasts/etc to get actual hands-on experiences with ease. That alone can be your greatest weapon if you have a good product (like Nintendo now has, for example), especially if after your presentation you left them feeling all excited about what they just saw.

You've convinced me. Okay I take it back, live events do have a certain thing about them that gives them an edge over digital events. Your argument was persuasive.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

Live. Any day all day.

Nintendo Direct's generally suck from the ones I have seen, they just cannot give an E3 atmosphere.

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Desmonic  Moderator

@Bread_or_Decide: Good. I was gonna go get me a hot knife and some butter if you kept on disagreeing! :P

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Bread_or_Decide

@Desmonic said:

@Bread_or_Decide: Good. I was gonna go get me a hot knife and some butter if you kept on disagreeing! :P

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

Has Nintendo's E3 2017 lineup been leaked? Or is it fake?

Is it true? We will find out soon enough. Then I remember that April 1st is this Saturday

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door HD

A remaster of the GameCube classic for Nintendo Switch. In addition to bringing back the features fans loved about the original, some things are tweaked and balanced, like the back tracking in Twilight Town. The game is scheduled for release in October.

Super Mario Maker for Nintendo Switch

A port of Mario Maker is coming to Switch with the Wii U features intact. This includes Amiibo support, Costume Mario, and uploading levels to Course World. A couple new course features are introduced as well, like slopes.

Breath of the Wild DLC

Gameplay is shown of the Cave of Trails, which was announced back in February. The new feature in the map shows players when enemy camps are nearby.

Splatoon 2

A new trailer is shown detailing the game’s story mode. Agent 3 must defend Inkopolis from the Octarians as they invade Inkopolis and try to steal back the Great Zapfish. Bill also talks about the game’s ranked modes, which include the returning Splat Zones and Tower Control, along with a new mode. In addition, all 3 modes can be selected separately at any time, and are not tied to a time rotation like the stages. The game will also be compatible with the Splatoon series of Amiibo, and the Amiibo challenges from the first game are returning.

Virtual Console

Virtual Console will be starting up soon. NES and SNES titles are planned to start being released in May. Gamecube Games are indeed coming to the Virtual Console. Certain games that required Analog Triggers will have the option to configure the shoulder buttons to indicate a light, or full press. For example, pressing R will indicate a light press, or ZR will indicate a full press. Super Smash Bros. Melee will be available in early June, with Super Mario Sunshine and Mario Kart Double Dash coming in late June.

Indie Games

Bill passes it over to Damon Baker, who announces release dates for some of the Indie Games described in the Indie Presentation back in February. Runner 3 will launch on October 12th, SteamWorld Dig 2 will launch on June 8th, Overcooked: Special Edition will launch on May 18th, Stardew Valley will release on July 13th, and Shakedown Hawaii will release on April 6th.

Ever Oasis

Damon them pases it back to Bill to talks about upcoming 3DS games. This section starts with talking about Ever Oasis, which releases on June 8th.

Lady Layton

Lady Layton is coming to the US, and is planned for a 2018 release date.

Fire Emblem Echoes

Details on the special edition of the game are given, as well as a deeper look into the game’s world, and what the Alm and Celica Amiibo do. The Amiibo can allow you to summon certain characters from past Fire Emblem titles to add to your party. You can also scan previously released Amiibo of FE characters and add them.

ARMS

The direct ends with the new trailer for ARMS. It details the game’s story mode, and announces 4 new characters. The game releases on May 29th.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

Live for sure, to me they are more exciting.

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Desmonic  Moderator

@FireEmblem_Man: Who knows, those are some pretty "safe" bets I'd say, nothing *too* outrageous (maybe Paper Mario HD + GC games on the Virtual console could count as outrageous?) in there. Guess we'll have to wait, though I'm betting Nintendo will have some new stuff to share as well.

It's weird that it doesn't mention Mario Odyssey though.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

@Desmonic: Not only that, but no mention of Nintendo discussing their Online Services.

Edit: They also don't mentioned Fire Emblem Warriors or Xenoblade Chronicles 2, so yeah, I'm leaning fake. Good thing I didn't make it out as a SW post otherwise it be a waste of time.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

I want to see Reggie up on stage, turn into an f'n morph ball, drop a power-bomb and roll off stage.

Conference over... Nintendo "wins" big

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

I actually don't really care which way they go as long as they shove tons and tons of amazing games my way. I want to see a new Metroid game, more of Mario odyssey, some new IP, maybe virtual GameCube games. Hopefully they continue down the path of making their games a little harder, and less hand holding.

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

For this year, it doesn't matter. I think we already seen what they have to offer in the near future. But I do like seeing these companies have a live press conference so you get to see live reactions whether they're good or bad. I don't know why Nintendo is hiding behind their Direct Event or whatever. I mean they could still use that format to get more information of what they showed after the live conference.