Would you like a Metroid made by FROM Software?

• 51 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

Word on the streets is FROM are done with the Souls series. What if Nintendo contracted them to make a new Metroid game?

Souls series is heavily influenced by Metroid so they'd be right at home.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

Jesus, no.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Never played any of the Souls games, so I don't know how similar to Metroid they are, but if From Software could make a great Metroid game then sure, I'll take it.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5249 Posts

Does From Software have a working or good relationship with Nintendo? If not, forgot about it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#5 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Urgh no

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Maybe, who knows.

People like that idea, because they got Dark Souls 1 right, but they only sort of got it right. People forget there was an entire stretch of that game that wasn't all that interconnected or interesting for starters, Anor Londo one of the best areas in that game is a whole difference thing from the rest of the game. And more to it, it almost comes off like that world direction was done by accident, given how they haven't even remotely gone back to ever doing that again. Not Dark Souls 2, not Dark Souls 3, not Bloodborne.

Beyond that, From Software has made 2 things all time I'm fond of: Otogi and the Souls/Bloodborne stuff. Anything else they make is aight at best (Chromehounds) or utterly boring (Shadow Tower, Ninja Blade, King's Field) at worst. In theory I might like Metal Wolf Chaos, because the concept for that game is so gloriously stupid, but I don't even care all that much for Steel Batallion or Armored Core as far as mech games. Would rather play the Mech Warrior games or even something like Mechassault.

I think Nintendo has the people to make a great Metroid, be it 2d or 3d. If anything they should do what they did with Zelda. Make a sequel to Super Metroid 2 as an opportunity to see what little tweaks and directional shifts they can do with the formula, and they do that on a grander scale with the 3d entry.

scoots9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#7 scoots9
Member since 2006 • 3505 Posts

I just want a Metroid made by Retro Studios, is that too much to ask? From might be interesting, but aren't later Dark Souls games less Metroid-y in structure?

PutASpongeOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 PutASpongeOn
Member since 2014 • 4897 Posts

@Juub1990 said:

Word on the streets is FROM are done with the Souls series. What if Nintendo contracted them to make a new Metroid game?

Souls series is heavily influenced by Metroid so they'd be right at home.

They have 3 new games.

1 that is very much like the games they are used to making.

1 is a weird game.

and 1 is another armoredcore

So nope.

The game that is very much like the games we are used to them making is going to likely being a ps4 exclusive (bloodborne 2 or something)

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

I really liked Metroid prime on Wii. Do it again

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58952 Posts

If a games good it's good.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15569 Posts

From has a decent bit of range in their game creation so as long as they didn't just make Metroid Souls I would be okay with it.

Doubt it would ever happen though, Nintendo and From's working relationship is mostly nonexistent.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Juub1990

@jg4xchamp said:

Maybe, who knows.

People like that idea, because they got Dark Souls 1 right, but they only sort of got it right. People forget there was an entire stretch of that game that wasn't all that interconnected or interesting for starters, Anor Londo one of the best areas in that game is a whole difference thing from the rest of the game. And more to it, it almost comes off like that world direction was done by accident, given how they haven't even remotely gone back to ever doing that again. Not Dark Souls 2, not Dark Souls 3, not Bloodborne.

I'd say Painted World of Ariamis was every bit as good as Anor Londo.

People hate on the Dukes Archives but it got the inter-connectivity right. The layout was just freaking confusing but it's a giant library so that's a given.

New Londo is also pretty dope.

Undead Burg is my personal favorite area and I'd say the level design and interconnectedness is still very present in that area.

They really only dropped the balls in areas that were obviously rushed like Demon Ruins or Lost Izalith.

Dark Souls II was a different director and a new approach I hated.

Dark Souls III has some neat areas like the Cathedral of the Deep, Ithryll of the Boreal Valley or the Undead Settlement.

Then Bloodborne has some terrific places such as Nightmare of Mensis, Fishing Hamlet or the Upper Cathedral Ward.

I certainly wouldn't say Anor Londo is far and away the best areas of the series. It is certainly one of its high points but they repeated its quality multiple times over.

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

Jesus, no.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

Err, uh, a shooting game? I don't know how well they'd be able to pull that off...

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jg4xchamp

@Juub1990 said:

I'd say Painted World of Ariamis was every bit as good as Anor Londo.

People hate on the Dukes Archives but it got the inter-connectivity right. The layout was just freaking confusing but it's a giant library so that's a given.

New Londo is also pretty dope.

Undead Burg is my personal favorite area and I'd say the level design and interconnectedness is still very present in that area.

They really only dropped the balls in areas that were obviously rushed like Demon Ruins or Lost Izalith.

Dark Souls II was a different director and a new approach I hated.

Dark Souls III has some neat areas like the Cathedral of the Deep, Ithryll of the Boreal Valley or the Undead Settlement.

Then Bloodborne has some terrific places such as Nightmare of Mensis, Fishing Hamlet or the Upper Cathedral Ward.

I certainly wouldn't say Anor Londo is far and away the best areas of the series. It is certainly one of its high points but they repeated its quality multiple times over.

It's not just about the areas though right, like the thing people associate with Dark Souls and Metroid, is strictly Dark Souls. That thing where you can find a path or kick a ladder down to go from one part of the Burg to an earlier part of the Burg, or how the top bell tower building has an elevator that takes you back to Firelink shrine. That loop around is Metroid, when the levels that fold back in on themselves are more ....linear isn't the word, but instead of loops, it feels like branches of a tree? When that's stuff is in Metroid, like in Prime 3 and Fusion, the games while enjoyable, do tend to get criticized for being too linear and straight forward.

Painted World is it's own side area, it's connected to the rest of the world in an organic way. Which is the hook of that opening stretch of Dark Souls that people associate with Metroid.

I'm not saying From Software couldn't nail it, their level design work is as good as anyone as far as I'm concerned, and as far as atmosphere and mechanics are concerned the Souls games are lovely. I'm just saying it might not be the match made in heaven. Because the coolest thing about the new Zelda, is in how not Zelda it is in a lot of ways. Other M to me was never bad "because it wasn't Metroid"...which it isn't, it was disappointing because the stuff they wanted to do wasn't that good.

Anyway the point is. Sure, I like the benefits

-From Software tries a metroid like world design again for the first time since Dark Souls. I would like to know how they would top the stuff they did in Dark Souls.
-Metroid would be in the hands of some new creators. That has a positive in that it's a new set of eyes working on the project.
-From Software are capable of not only making good games (Otogi) but fantastic ones (Demon's Souls, Dark Souls)
-It allows Sakamoto and Retro do something new. I'm a believer that all of Nintendo's big cats should do new things.

Only con is
-From Software can also make a bad game lol

So yeah, maybe I would like to see it, but it's not something I yearn for necessarily.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

No, I want the next Metroid to be developed by Nintendo R&D1 and I want it to be a side-scroller with gameplay like Super Metroid.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Errrr yea, no. Not feeling it. Would rather see Moon Studios tackle it.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#18 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

Metroid souls :)

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19570 Posts

Their level design, lore output and slow clunky boss battles could work for a Metroid Prime game.

For a 2D Metroid game, hell no. I wouldn't trust From Software to design a game with smooth controls, fast-paced precision gameplay, and interesting platforming.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Well why not?..could be interesting...hehehe... their own guy Sakamoto screwed up his experiment (Other M). :P

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Juub1990
@Planeforger said:

Their level design, lore output and slow clunky boss battles could work for a Metroid Prime game.

For a 2D Metroid game, hell no. I wouldn't trust From Software to design a game with smooth controls, fast-paced precision gameplay, and interesting platforming.

I was thinking of a 3D 3rd person Metroid game. Obviously they'd have to make it faster paced.

2D Metroid game belongs to Retro Studios.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

I always compare Dark Souls to Metroid as they're very similar in open-linked structure, but really they are two completely different genres of games, I'd have to take a lot of convincing From Software can do a lot more than just structuring a world.

They would have to prove they can do shooters, puzzles and platformers, since Metroid Prime does all of those of those. A very different thing Metroid does over Dark Souls in traversing the open-linked structure, is Samus gains access and finds shortcuts through suit upgrades and newly acquired abilities whereas Dark Souls has only ever been about kicking down ladders and finding keys to locked doors.

From Software would have to find other ways to implement unraveling the terrain through gameplay abilities than the straightforward methods of keys and doors.

While both franchises have amazing boss battles, Metroid bosses are handled very differently as well. Dark Souls bosses are very simple you can take them out with any character build including just hacking and slashing. Metroid bosses can be a little more tricky and puzzling as many Metroid bosses aren't just about shooting them until they die as much as you gotta figure out their vulnerabilities. Many times a Metroid boss has very particular puzzle-y elements to opening their vulnerable parts before actually taking their health away.

PinchySkree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#23 PinchySkree
Member since 2012 • 1342 Posts

Could it be worse than the shit Team Ninja did?

That would be a challenge.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

**** yeah. Metroid Prime has a similar feel to the Souls games. I'd be for it.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#25 aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

I dont think I would...

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#26 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@Juub1990:

You mean Dark Souls or just Souls? I dunno if it's a good or bad thing yet.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

FROM shouldn't waste their talent making games for the Switch.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50557 Posts

What part of souls was influenced by metroid?

Avatar image for deactivated-58e7bee46c6be
deactivated-58e7bee46c6be

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By deactivated-58e7bee46c6be
Member since 2017 • 44 Posts

@Chutebox said:

I have never heard FS say they were influenced by it but the level design of all the Souls games have a very Metroidvania kind of style.

But anyway, FS really needs to ditch the PhyreEngine already and hire better programmers, so their games have better performance and stop being such huge resource hogs even though the games look so last gen. Not to mention the engine was made by Sony for the PS3 and then lazily modified to be multiplatform, it sucks.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

no but a Castlevania game by From Soft would be interesting

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7270 Posts

@Vaasman said:

From has a decent bit of range in their game creation so as long as they didn't just make Metroid Souls I would be okay with it.

Doubt it would ever happen though, Nintendo and From's working relationship is mostly nonexistent.

Maybe Lost Kingdoms 3 could reignite the flame.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

No, I haven't thought any game I've played by From has been all that great.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Btw, where did FROM mention that there won't be any Souls games? I know they've said there won't be a Dark Souls 4 directed by Miyazaki. But its not like they'll abandon their best selling genre. if there's no Souls like games, i'll be in a severe depression

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

@storm_of_swords said:

No, I want the next Metroid to be developed by Nintendo R&D1 and I want it to be a side-scroller with gameplay like Super Metroid.

mmmwksil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 mmmwksil
Member since 2003 • 16423 Posts

Who makes it isn't the issue.

Just that someone makes it and it's called Metroid 5, picks up where Fusion left off and continues the story. No more of this interquel nonsense.

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts

FROM Software in the recent past have only produced Soules games and unless they can prove they can do anything other than the usual Souls games, we should keep our hype level low. My bet is they are a one trick pony.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17814 Posts

could be interesting. what form would it take? having close quarters combat is not really the metroid thing. but a souls first person adventure game? ....interesting. could work. prime was never about aiming accuracy (except for 3) but more about your positioning relative to the enemy and that could work here. the design and behaviour of the enemies would be critical though and how that is balanced with Samus's abilities would be absolutely critical though.

From would certainly have no issue with the whole "isolated on an alien world" vibe and their artists and level designers would be able to do a dam fine job. their tech needs work but then their tech has always needed work. im just chin scratching over how it would work exactly.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts

Can't wait to play Metroid with frame rate drops to the low teens....WOOOOOO

**** No

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts

They should just make a new Armored Core or convince Sega to let them make a new Chromehounds

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#40 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41533 Posts

For topic at hand.

@scoots9 said:

I just want a Metroid made by Retro Studios, is that too much to ask? From might be interesting, but aren't later Dark Souls games less Metroid-y in structure?

It kind of is, actually. They wanted to move on from that franchise, which is why they developed not one, but two Donkey Kong games. After that, I'd say either finish up DK or move on to another unused Nintendo IP OR make something new. Retro doing another Metroid would only solidify the stigma of Nintendo not moving on.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#41 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

@russianhacker37 said:
@Chutebox said:

I have never heard FS say they were influenced by it but the level design of all the Souls games have a very Metroidvania kind of style.

They said they were inspired by Zelda. That was also what inspired Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.

Dibdibdobdobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Dibdibdobdobo
Member since 2008 • 6683 Posts

Platinum Games or Retro.

Retro for a first person view game in the essence of prime.

PG if they decide to make action game of the likes of MOM.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

I'd be interested in seeing their take on designing a Metroid game for reasons already mentioned. But I'd feel much better if they worked in conjunction with another team to develop it.

Fromsoft - Game design, music, sound, art, and story.

Somebody else - Actually putting the shit together. Code, engine work, asset optimization, etc. Similar to Capcom and Dimps.

Basically let Fromsoft be the architect and have a studio with a cleaner track record do the construction.

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Desmonic  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 19990 Posts

@ConanTheStoner: Pretty sure that skipping 90% of the level by going out of bounds is a feature bro :P

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 jg4xchamp
@Chutebox said:

Everything about how the different areas are linked to Firelink Shrine and how interconnected undead burg is, right back to how it wraps back around to firelink shrine is textbook Metroidvania design. It's not like the "Dark Souls is what 3d castlevania should have been" is a foreign statement.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50557 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:
@Chutebox said:

Everything about how the different areas are linked to Firelink Shrine and how interconnected undead burg is, right back to how it wraps back around to firelink shrine is textbook Metroidvania design. It's not like the "Dark Souls is what 3d castlevania should have been" is a foreign statement.

It's been a loooong time since I've played a Metroid game, so I don't remember this shit.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#47 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

I thought Team Ninja did a great job with Other M, as good as they could have considering Sakamoto's meddling with the story bits, they also made Nioh and that's basically very Souls inspired; why not them again?

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

Metroid needs to go back to the Prime style, but more open world... or better yet, open worlds. Less NPC interaction, more exploration, bigger and better upgrades. I loved the lonliness feeling the first two prime games made you feel while you were discovering everything about the chozo. Also, needs to be more difficult. I think this generation, Ninty should stay away from easy 'for everyone' games.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Juub1990

@ConanTheStoner said:

I'd be interested in seeing their take on designing a Metroid game for reasons already mentioned. But I'd feel much better if they worked in conjunction with another team to develop it.

Fromsoft - Game design, music, sound, art, and story.

Somebody else - Actually putting the shit together. Code, engine work, asset optimization, etc. Similar to Capcom and Dimps.

Basically let Fromsoft be the architect and have a studio with a cleaner track record do the construction.

Yeah that makes a lot of sense. From are pretty damn good when it comes to designing a game but from a technical standpoint I feel the interns who just graduated from my school could do a better job lol.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

No, but I want Dark Souls series for the Switch!