WIRED: Wii U isn't bombing because of the name...

• 104 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#101 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

@farrell2k: The sad thing is you believe that. You write off every single other developer across every platform, not because it's logical, or because there is even a grain of truth to it, but because you are effectively brainwashed.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#103 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

@farrell2k: keep drinking that kool aid cultie.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#104 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17814 Posts

im not sure if its even a question of liking it or not....i think many dont understand the reason for it to exist....including nintendo.

compare it to the wii. the motion for wii bowling....very very simple to explain to customers and an exciting idea. thus nintendo made games ranging from wii sports to zelda SS and people got it. the execution may have been questionable in places but people understud the concept because nintendo, through games, could give a very good explanation of it.

the wiiu is a far more complicated idea to explain. ok it could be argued that it turns your living room into a DS but thats not really helpful. so where are the games that could show the benefits of the wiiu gamepad? so far i have yet to find one.

i can certainly think of a few games that could benefit from having a second screen available (games like elite, racing sims (having more info readily available on the screen such as car damage, car settings, tyre state, selected tyres for the next pit stop and so on), strategy games, puzzle games like broken sword) but these games are not being made for the wiiu. i think watchdogs may have been a better game if it was a wiiu exclusive (it wouldnt look as pretty of course but the whole hacking and manipulation of the city using the gamepad could work really well). but thats probably going to be a pretty shoddy late port now. something like okami is also pretty obvious.

nintendos own games, from mario platformers to zelda to smash bros were never designed from day 1 with a second screen in mind. the wiimote and nunchuck made a lot more sense for many of those games (well except smash. traditional controller for that please).

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#105  Edited By locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

It's just a strange system and there's little reason for most folks to own one over a PS, Xbox, PC, or tablet. Only folks who need to play Nintendo games are getting one. It doesn't do most of what the other systems do. It doesn't suit casuals or core gamers.

Why does it have a tablet controller again? Was that just a random last minute idea? Just sticking a map/inventory on there doesn't justify why it imo. Are they making games to make use of it or is it just gonna be a map screen forever?

I dunno. I really enjoyed Mario Kart but it's not exactly that different from every other Mario Kart and now it's another few months til another game. Hard to get excited for such an odd little console. I didn't own one at the time but surely even Gamecube had more excitement, more innovation, less droughts, better games? I know Wii did.

Oh well. Nintendo gonna Nintendo. And I'm gonna put up with it to play my 3 to 5 games a year on the WiiU.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#107 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

I felt this way all along, I never bought that "people don't know there's a new Nintendo console out. They're marketing it terribly". I think a lot of gaming consumers knew and just didn't care... well, some cared, but not enough for it to do better. I think Nintendo aimed to add to its list of games third party multiplats that the Xbox 360 and PS3 had... except when it released the market was saturated with a userbase who already had Xbox 360s and PS3s, there was no drive to get this new console with multiplats they already had access to. And to boot, Nintendo didn't have any big attention grabbing exclusives of its own, and they didn't have much first party support of it either.

I think the knowledgeable consumer saw a lack of value in it when it released. I think it releasing just a year before everyone knew the PS4 and X1 were releasing was a bad move too. Nintendo saw the Wii sales dipping and they were too eager to rush something onto the market. And, as something I read a while back stated, Nintendo didn't consult with third party developers to ask what they'd need out of the system.

Anyhow, I picked one up regardless. After a while it accumulated enough games for me to see its value, plus the price cuts, when it was $300 for a Deluxe with a game then that was good enough for me. I didn't imagine it was going to rival Sony or Microsoft this gen with an extensive third party library, but it had enough games I did want and enough games on the horizon to warrant getting one. Still, I see it as a supplemental console, as I imagine once I get a PS4/X1 I'll probably play those a lot more, but still have my Wii U on hand to play those Nintendo games I couldn't play without a Wii U. If I get maybe 20-30 games for it in its life then it's pretty much in the same place as my Wii was to my PS3 and Xbox 360, so far I got 9, looking forward to Super Smash Bros, Bayonetta 1 + 2, SMT x FE, Project X, Zelda Wii U and Hyrule Warriors, the upcoming Star Fox title, so that's looking pretty good right now. Hopefully they'll get a Metroid game or few in there before the end of it's life.

This part made your entire argument moot because the same thing can be said about PS4 and X1. If you would have kept that part out, you would have had a stronger argument.