Will the Wii have success similar to the DS? *Poll*

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SyluxElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 SyluxElite
Member since 2006 • 8950 Posts

What I mean is, will it eventually pick up speed like the DS did?  At the beggining of the Ds's life it's games were o.k. but nothing special.  Also developers considered the stylus and dual-screens gimmicky. Most developers, excluding Sega and Ubisoft,  started making Wii games after E3 due to the Wii's excellent showing.  Does anyone think the Wii is taking the same path as the DS in terms of success?

Also let me clarify that I think the Wii will be in second place this gen.

SyluxElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 SyluxElite
9 votes but no comments? :? hhhmmmmmmm............
Hyper-Chicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Hyper-Chicken
Member since 2007 • 1348 Posts
:? in not sure but it could
SyluxElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SyluxElite
:? in not sure but it couldHyper-Chicken
Since there is a lack of comments, could you care to explain why you are not sure? :)
Pangster007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#6 Pangster007
Member since 2004 • 4426 Posts
One major factor for the success would be the appeal to the casual market.
echelon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 echelon
Member since 2002 • 1199 Posts
I dont think so. Handhelds are different from consoles. Nintendo has ruled handhelds for a long time. They are still trying to shake off two dissapointing generations in the console world.
Nex_Ownage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Nex_Ownage
Member since 2004 • 4753 Posts
If it manage to continue game releases that satisfy both hardcore (LoZ ) and casual (Wii sports) gamers, then I'm sure it will.
Avatar image for FrenziedRaldo24
FrenziedRaldo24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FrenziedRaldo24
Member since 2005 • 9054 Posts
If youre talking about game droughts, half-baked ports, and little to no-good use of it's innovative features...the answer is yes.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts
How could it? It's far outpacing the DS' initial sales, isn't it?
Sig12047

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 Sig12047
Member since 2004 • 4194 Posts
Yeah, it's lighting up the charts in Japan and it is getting a lot of positive word of mouth. I still have to try it for myself, but if Nintendo can lock up some big name games and get some more quality games out soon then they will be seeing a lot of green.
TNT_Slug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TNT_Slug
Member since 2007 • 1735 Posts
The drought will end on March. Nintendo won't look back.
SyluxElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SyluxElite
If youre talking about game droughts, half-baked ports, and little to no-good use of it's innovative features...the answer is yes.FrenziedRaldo24
I only agree with the half baked ports part. :?
the-very-best

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 the-very-best
Member since 2006 • 14486 Posts
DS has gained a lot of loyal Nintendo fans who really enjoyed the GBA due to the handheld having games like Super Mario 64, New Super Mario Bros, Yoshi's Island DS, Pokemon Diamond (still not freakin released here), Castlevania, Phoenix Wright, Mario Kart, Metroid Prime and Animal Crossing.

Nintendo did something really smart too though. They brought in the loyal Nintendo fans who enjoy the games I mentioned before but they've also reeled in non-gamers with games like Nintendogs and Brain Training (I actually enjoyed both of those but that's besides the point). So DS basically got non-gamers and hardcore gamers in one which is a brilliant achievement and DS will probably end up selling over 70 million units in the end.

Wii is riding off the success of the DS but it seems to be attracting non gamers rather than hardcore gamers. It has Zelda, sure, but that's also available on GC. Wii in my view is primarily a console for non gamers and while I don't think that's bad I think if you do purchase the console you have to purchase a PS3 or 360 as well to actually get a complete gaming experience (unless you're a non gamer).

So in other words, while I don't expect Wii to be as successful as the DS, I do expect it will attract most, if not all of the non gamers. I just think they are non gamers for a reason and in the end casuals will probably end up with the PS3 most likely since it has all the major titles they enjoyed on their PS2 so that will probably be the best selling console in the end.
Zhengi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Zhengi
Member since 2006 • 8479 Posts
Yes, I think it has already started. Nintendo has captured not only the casual market, but they have also gotten through to the nongamer market. Included into the nongamer market are girls, parents, and older folks. Even if third parties do not take advantage of these demographics, you know that Nintendo will take advantage by coming out with games like Wii Play, Wii Music, Wii Health, Brain Age, Nintendogs, etc. Even if sales start to slow down during the summer, when the holidays hit, the name recognition built up from this past holiday will spur the nongamers to purchase the system that they weren't able to purchase the previous year. It's sort of like the Apple Ipod. Every year during the holidays they sell out cause it's the hottest item. You can be sure that Nintendo will target a lot of advertising to remind people who didn't get a console the previous year that they're back, in stock, and once more the hottest item of the holiday season. So I think the success will be similar to the DS. The Wii is definitely going to end up being the best selling console this gen.
t2wave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 t2wave
Member since 2005 • 3258 Posts
I think it could very well be the DS of consoles but I don't think it will be quite as a run away success as the DS. The Wii has a lot of ground to cover to make up for the last two of Nintendo's reputations. Games games games is what they need to strive for.
SyluxElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SyluxElite
DS has gained a lot of loyal Nintendo fans who really enjoyed the GBA due to the handheld having games like Super Mario 64, New Super Mario Bros, Yoshi's Island DS, Pokemon Diamond (still not freakin released here), Castlevania, Phoenix Wright, Mario Kart, Metroid Prime and Animal Crossing.

Nintendo did something really smart too though. They brought in the loyal Nintendo fans who enjoy the games I mentioned before but they've also reeled in non-gamers with games like Nintendogs and Brain Training (I actually enjoyed both of those but that's besides the point). So DS basically got non-gamers and hardcore gamers in one which is a brilliant achievement and DS will probably end up selling over 70 million units in the end.

Wii is riding off the success of the DS but it seems to be attracting non gamers rather than hardcore gamers. It has Zelda, sure, but that's also available on GC. Wii in my view is primarily a console for non gamers and while I don't think that's bad I think if you do purchase the console you have to purchase a PS3 or 360 as well to actually get a complete gaming experience (unless you're a non gamer).

So in other words, while I don't expect Wii to be as successful as the DS, I do expect it will attract most, if not all of the non gamers. I just think they are non gamers for a reason and in the end casuals will probably end up with the PS3 most likely since it has all the major titles they enjoyed on their PS2 so that will probably be the best selling console in the end.
the-very-best
I agree with everythin except for the hardcore part. What yuou like and gravatate towards is what makes you hardcore. Hell you can be a hardcore Wii Sports player. :P Hardcore is such a loose word to use.
Colinllama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Colinllama
Member since 2006 • 466 Posts

I don't think there is any doubt that the Wii is going to sell more than the Gamecube did, and being as Nintendo make a profit on each system sold, it can certainly be considered a commerical success.  The DS has sold a huge amount of units, but really, following on from the legacy of the various Gameboy systems, was it ever really a doubt that a Nintendo handheld would sell? 

Whether or not the Wii will be a success in terms of the quality of the games it offers is yet to be decided either way.  There have been some very good first party titles already, and of the 3rd party titles there have been a couple that show it is possible for 3rd parties to do something decent on the system. (Madden and Monkey Ball for example...)

Personally I think all it will take is for someone to produce an AAA 3rd party game and the Wii will not look back from there.

SyluxElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SyluxElite
Bump! :P I thought there would be more posts then this. o-o
tricyclon123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 tricyclon123
Member since 2007 • 436 Posts
How much more does Wii cost ?
SyluxElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SyluxElite
How much more does Wii cost ?tricyclon123
Why does that matter? Their both the cheapest in their respected category.