Will the next generation of gamers remember a good Nintendo?

• 81 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

Everybody in the industry still thinks fondly of Nintendo produced games. They just need to release more appealing hardware and get their policies in order.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#52 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts
@PurpleMan5000 said:

Nintendo is a lot better now than they were during the NES/SNES era.

I'm not sure I'd say that, but I definitely think the two Galaxy games are the best things they ever produced.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#53 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@PurpleMan5000 said:

They dont have the same impact though , actually not even close.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#54 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

@ActicEdge said:

Everybody in the industry still thinks fondly of Nintendo produced games. They just need to release more appealing hardware and get their policies in order.

Agreed.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#55 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

Nintendo's first party games are at an all time high in quality right now, but the hardware is behind and that keeps some people away. I also feel some of Nintendo's strongest games recently (Pikmin 3 and Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze) may alienate younger players because to truly enjoy them, you have to put in a lot of time and skill, however, their easy entry levels might be enough.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By AzatiS

@ActicEdge said:

Everybody in the industry but not everybody in gaming community . New era of gamers ( youngsters ) actually seems to not even care like we used to in ours about Nintendo , console wise even .

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#57 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@AzatiS said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

... Well seeing as back in the NES and SNES era they literally dominated the market with only one real rival (sega during the SNES phase).. No single company is going to dominate the market like that again..

Avatar image for deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71
deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71
Member since 2006 • 2521 Posts

@Renegade_Fury said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@jsmoke03 said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

you are in the minority on that one

Can you name some games that Nintendo made during those eras that are better than the games they are putting out today?

I don't understand this argument. The question is about the effect of living in the eras, not comparing third/fourth gen games to eighth gen games and judging by eighth gen game standards. Back then, Nintendo was the biggest face of gaming, and they were providing extremely revolutionary software that was praised, not just by Nintendo fans, but by all gamers. You could also get away with having a Nintendo system as your primary, because guess what? They actually had third party games. Today, Nintendo is seen as the third wheel, and with games like Minecraft around and all the shiny AAA stuff being only playable on their competitors' systems, kids don't need to grow up with Nintendo anymore. Nintendo is actually concerned about this change themselves, because I have heard this topic being mentioned by them before.

On a personal note, there are games like Mega Man 1-7, X1-X3, Super Metroid, Sparkster, OoT, MM and so on that I would and do take over what Nintendo offers on their current systems.

1000% Spot on, man.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

No they will not. NES and SNES were awesome!

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

@AzatiS said:

@ActicEdge said:

Everybody in the industry but not everybody in gaming community . New era of gamers ( youngsters ) actually seems to not even care like we used to in ours about Nintendo , console wise even .

That's an aspect of them having poor selling hardware to deliver their highly popular properties. Look back at the Wii as an example. Even the Gamcube had a few Nintendo games selling over 5 million units. They are not significantly less popular now than they have been consistently for the last 25 years. There are ups and downs yes but you seem to be underselling them. The company consistently releases 5 million + sellers. What else are they suppose to do?

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By AzatiS

@sSubZerOo said:

@AzatiS said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

... Well seeing as back in the NES and SNES era they literally dominated the market with only one real rival (sega during the SNES phase).. No single company is going to dominate the market like that again..

Agreed.

If we take into consideration though that Wii sold that good for entirely other reasons than actually its exclusives , which some of them were fantastic , when Wii U with the very same high quality N 1st party titles cant push sales ...

Something is really wrong and i guess it has to do with the fact that newcomers in gaming dont care or bother with Nintendo like we used to 15-20+ years ago. So to say that Nintendo is a lot better now... in my opinion , its not even close to what i beleive , console wise at least.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

I mean when I was growing up Nintendo was amazing. The NES and SNES were legendary devices that gamers of that time will never forget. Don't forget the Gameboy too. But what about the next generation? People who grew up with Wii/Wii U. Will it still have the same imprint on them? I ask you SW since you know absolutely everything.

Nintendo is still good, just only in regards to their handhelds. When it comes to home consoles they are a lost cause. They just can't understand that all we want is a quality console without unnecessary gimmicks. They think that their exclusive games alone can drive enough console sales to win a generation, when in reality the demand for Nintendo games isn't as high as a lot of third party franchises.

Nintendo will never become as great as they once were as long as Iwata is still in charge.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#63  Edited By Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@Lucianu said:

@ConanTheStoner said:

So uh... what's the deal? What do you guys think is wrong with what he said?

If you're looking at it from the perspective that Nintendo doesn't bring highly competitive console hardware to the market then sure.

Nintendo as a game developer though is light years beyond their NES/SNES efforts. The SNES is my all time favorite console, easily. But it was mostly due to having killer 3rd party support.

He could have worded it better.. say, Nintendo's 1st party output is better than the SNES days. Which is true.

But the SNES as a whole is, and will probably forever be the greatest console of all times.

I think you might be letting nostalgia get the best of you here. The Gamecube is the best Nintendo console, imo, but the Wii U is shaping up to maybe contend for that crown.

I never owned the SNES before 2008, i don't feel nostalgic about anything on it :P. I've been playing around with it for quite a wile now. I'm currently collecting a PAL set, albeit painstakingly slow with a few reproduction carts thrown in as alternatives to ridiculously expensive games. Took some stabs at some jp imports, though that's another story.

I think it's easily the greatest console of all times because of the sheer size and diversity of its library of games that are not only fun to play, but will always 'age well' unlike 3D games. Not just because of the graphics which are a vibrant shower of gorgeous pixel art, but because 2D is eternal in terms of how simple it is to get into and immediately control.

To each their own, i think the Gamecube is a great console. But i think the SNES dwarfs it completely.

And that's excluding antiqued relics like Mario Kart, F-Zero and Star Fox (sorry Nintendo fans, but they were a waste to me. Unplayable, ugly, choppy and hopelessly outdated by their sequel(s) ), or worthless arcade ports like Knight of the Round and Street Fighter II, which i can play on MAME, in its infinitely superior arcade form. I'm not even going to mention sports games or puzzle games, lmao.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@emgesp said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

I mean when I was growing up Nintendo was amazing. The NES and SNES were legendary devices that gamers of that time will never forget. Don't forget the Gameboy too. But what about the next generation? People who grew up with Wii/Wii U. Will it still have the same imprint on them? I ask you SW since you know absolutely everything.

Nintendo is still good, just only in regards to their handhelds. When it comes to home consoles they are a lost cause. They just can't understand that all we want is a quality console without unnecessary gimmicks. They think that their exclusive games alone can drive enough console sales to win a generation, when in reality the demand for Nintendo games isn't as high as a lot of third party franchises.

Nintendo will never become as great as they once were as long as Iwata is still in charge.

Their handhelds are every bit as underpowered and gimmicky as their consoles. The handhelds do sell much better, though I believe that has more to do with the price point than quality. The Vita should easily be able to stomp the 3DS. Sony just abandoned it prematurely and the 3rd party support that the PSP got doesn't seem to be coming anytime soon.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#65  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

@AzatiS said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

Neither do their competitors really. One or two companies won't rule gaming. Too many well established (sub)genres, too much money, too many people who know what they are doing now.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By PurpleMan5000

@Lucianu said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@Lucianu said:

@ConanTheStoner said:

So uh... what's the deal? What do you guys think is wrong with what he said?

If you're looking at it from the perspective that Nintendo doesn't bring highly competitive console hardware to the market then sure.

Nintendo as a game developer though is light years beyond their NES/SNES efforts. The SNES is my all time favorite console, easily. But it was mostly due to having killer 3rd party support.

He could have worded it better.. say, Nintendo's 1st party output is better than the SNES days. Which is true.

But the SNES as a whole is, and will probably forever be the greatest console of all times.

I think you might be letting nostalgia get the best of you here. The Gamecube is the best Nintendo console, imo, but the Wii U is shaping up to maybe contend for that crown.

I never owned the SNES before 2008, i don't feel nostalgic about anything on it :P. I've been playing around with it for quite a wile now. I'm currently collecting a PAL set, albeit painstakingly slow with a few reproduction carts thrown in as alternatives to ridiculously expensive games. Took some stabs at some jp imports, though that's another story.

I think it's easily the greatest console of all times because of the sheer size and diversity of its library of games that are not only fun to play, but will always 'age well' unlike 3D games. Not just because of the graphics which are a vibrant shower of gorgeous pixel art, but because 2D is eternal in terms of how simple it is to get into and immediately control.

To each their own, i think the Gamecube is a great console. But i think the SNES dwarfs it completely.

And that's excluding antiqued relics like Mario Kart, F-Zero and Star Fox (sorry Nintendo fans, but they were a waste to me. Unplayable, ugly, choppy and hopelessly outdated by their sequel(s) ), or worthless arcade ports like Knight of the Round and Street Fighter II, which i can play on MAME, in its infinitely superior arcade form. I'm not even going to mention sports games or puzzle games, lmao.

I picked mine up after the gen, too. I was a SEGA gamer back then. I do believe the SNES had more quality titles than the Genesis, mostly due to the Megaman X series. I also really like Super Punch Out, Super Metroid, and Earthbound. I guess I just haven't found a whole lot of fantastic games on it, though. Like you mentioned, Star Fox is unplayable now. I picked up F-Zero for 99 cents on the Wii U and would like the dollar back. Even A Link to the Past, a game that I thought was very good, is hopelessly overrated. I just don't see how the library compares to the likes of Wind Waker, Mario Sunshine, F-Zero GX, Mario Kart Double Dash, Splinter Cell, Freedom Fighters, Killer 7, Viewtiful Joe, Resident Evil 4, Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes, Metroid Prime, Fire Emblem Path of Radiance, Pikmin, Battalion Wars, Timesplitters 2, Rogue Squadron, Paper Mario TTYD, Luigi's Mansion, Soul Calibur 2, Beyond Good and Evil, The Sands of Time trilogy, Super Smash Bros Melee, etc.

Avatar image for OniLordAsmodeus
OniLordAsmodeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 OniLordAsmodeus
Member since 2010 • 381 Posts
@SolidGame_basic said:

Sure they will. My kids have grown up with the DS's and the Wii's, and they love Mario and all Nintendo brings to the table...thought I doubt they care about the "Nintendo brand" persay. The only people who look down on Nintendo are those gameers who are completely enthralled in the Console war, or just a war to prove that they are the "best" gamer. My kids (and myself as well) just want to play fun games and have fun gaming, and I imagine there are many others out there in a similar situation as myself.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#68 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

@PurpleMan5000 said:

I picked mine up after the gen, too. I was a SEGA gamer back then. I do believe the SNES had more quality titles than the Genesis, mostly due to the Megaman X series. I also really like Super Punch Out, Super Metroid, and Earthbound. I guess I just haven't found a whole lot of fantastic games on it, though. Like you mentioned, Star Fox is unplayable now. I picked up F-Zero for 99 cents on the Wii U and would like the dollar back. Even A Link to the Past, a game that I thought was very good, is hopelessly overrated. I just don't see how the library compares to the likes of Wind Waker, Mario Sunshine, F-Zero GX, Mario Kart Double Dash, Splinter Cell, Freedom Fighters, Killer 7, Viewtiful Joe, Resident Evil 4, Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes, Metroid Prime, Fire Emblem Path of Radiance, Pikmin, Battalion Wars, Timesplitters 2, Rogue Squadron, Paper Mario TTYD, Luigi's Mansion, Soul Calibur 2, Beyond Good and Evil, The Sands of Time trilogy, Super Smash Bros Melee, etc.

About Link to the Past, i think that game is pure, unadulterated fun poured into a bottle. It's solid as a rock, and whether it's overrated or not is up to opinion.. I don't know, you can make a great argument about how it's been surpassed, and i'd tend to agree. But that doesn't mean that it's not worth playing.

Hmm, i can help you out there. I'll skip the obvious like Final Fantasy 6, Chrono Trigger, Yoshi's Island and many more, and heartwarmingly recommend Terranigma, Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals, Seiken Densetsu 3, Dragon Quest III Remake, Romancing SaGa 3, Star Ocean (if you don't have a PSP), Bahamut Lagoon, Super Turrican 1 & 2, Demon's Crest, Pop'n Twinbee, The Firemen (unappealing title, but top notch quality game that's both unique and addictive), Rockman & Forte, Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War, Ganbare Goemon 2, Jikkyō Oshaberi Parodius, Gundam Wing: Endless Duel, SDF Macross: Scrambled Valkyrie and Marvelous: Mōhitotsu no Takarajima. For starters.

I know that they may sound like no-name filler material, but they're not. They're actually the cream of the crop of what i can think of at the moment, hand picked by me. For example, Marvelous: Mōhitotsu no Takarajima is an action-adventure made by the exact team that developed A Link To The Past. Super Turrican is an amazing action side scroller with tight mechanics and exploration complemented by a fantastic soundtrack. Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War is a extraordinarily entertaining title with unique features never replicated in future installments, and is the best in the series. And i can go on with praise for each title in this quick list. They're so excellent and polished that each one of them is worth checking out and hunting down, some may be expensive, but that's why repro carts exist.

The SNES is a treasure chest of hidden gems, besides the giant library of known titles that are classics. That's why i think it's the greatest console of all times. Dozens upon dozeons of excellent games left on the system, never to see the light of day. And now is the best time to get into them because it has never been more easy to import, translate and play them.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Uhm.... Its just a console.... Shouldn't you be more concerned about the games ?

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#70 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

@MonsieurX said:
@PonchoTaco said:

I feel bad for the upcoming generations. There aren't really any good consoles for younger children other than Nintendo. I'll be picking up a SNES for my kids so they can enjoy gaming the way I enjoyed it when I was their age.

Do it now while you still can find them

They aren't that rare. Shops around here still sell them plus other older consoles.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 PurpleMan5000

@Lucianu said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

About Link to the Past, i think that game is pure, unadulterated fun poured into a bottle. It's solid as a rock, and whether it's overrated or not is up to opinion.. I don't know, you can make a great argument about how it's been surpassed, and i'd tend to agree. But that doesn't mean that it's not worth playing.

Hmm, i can help you out there. I'll skip the obvious like Final Fantasy 6, Chrono Trigger, Yoshi's Island and many more, and heartwarmingly recommend Terranigma, Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals, Seiken Densetsu 3, Dragon Quest III Remake, Romancing SaGa 3, Star Ocean (if you don't have a PSP), Bahamut Lagoon, Super Turrican 1 & 2, Demon's Crest, Pop'n Twinbee, The Firemen (unappealing title, but top notch quality game that's both unique and addictive), Rockman & Forte, Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War, Ganbare Goemon 2, Jikkyō Oshaberi Parodius, Gundam Wing: Endless Duel, SDF Macross: Scrambled Valkyrie and Marvelous: Mōhitotsu no Takarajima. For starters.

I know that they may sound like no-name filler material, but they're not. They're actually the cream of the crop of what i can think of at the moment, hand picked by me. For example, Marvelous: Mōhitotsu no Takarajima is an action-adventure made by the exact team that developed A Link To The Past. Super Turrican is an amazing action side scroller with tight mechanics and exploration complemented by a fantastic soundtrack. Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War is a extraordinarily entertaining title with unique features never replicated in future installments, and is the best in the series. And i can go on with praise for each title in this quick list. They're so excellent and polished that each one of them is worth checking out and hunting down, some may be expensive, but that's why repro carts exist.

The SNES is a treasure chest of hidden gems, besides the giant library of known titles that are classics. That's why i think it's the greatest console of all times. Dozens upon dozeons of excellent games left on the system, never to see the light of day. And now is the best time to get into them because it has never been more easy to import, translate and play them.

Thanks for the list. Do I need a Japanese SNES to run most of those games?

I agree that Link to the Past is still a lot of fun, and I can appreciate that it really set the stage for all of the Zelda games to follow it. I used to set it as the gold standard for 2D Zelda, but I think Minish Cap is just better in every way, and I prefer 3D Zelda to 2D Zelda in general. The games are barely even in the same genre, though, so they are difficult to compare.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@Heil68 said:

@MonsieurX said:
@PonchoTaco said:

I feel bad for the upcoming generations. There aren't really any good consoles for younger children other than Nintendo. I'll be picking up a SNES for my kids so they can enjoy gaming the way I enjoyed it when I was their age.

They aren't that rare. Shops around here still sell them plus other older consoles.

They aren't that rare currently,might be another story in few years when Poncho gets kids!

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Heil68

@MonsieurX said:

@Heil68 said:

@MonsieurX said:
@PonchoTaco said:

They aren't that rare currently,might be another story in few years when Poncho gets kids!

That's true.

I've personally tried to go back and play previous gen games and just cant do it. Even PS2/Xbox games seem ancient.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

@Heil68 said:

@MonsieurX said:
@PonchoTaco said:

It'll be a few years. Getting married next Friday :P

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Heil68

@PonchoTaco said:

@MonsieurX said:

@Heil68 said:

@MonsieurX said:
@PonchoTaco said:

and a name like Panchotaco, I'll bet you have a large number of kids! :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

@Heil68 said:

@PonchoTaco said:

@MonsieurX said:

@Heil68 said:

@MonsieurX said:
@PonchoTaco said:

and a name like Panchotaco, I'll bet you have a large number of kids! :P

I hope not :3 D:

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@PonchoTaco said:

@MonsieurX said:

@Heil68 said:

@MonsieurX said:
@PonchoTaco said:

I hope this is the cake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

@MonsieurX said:

@PonchoTaco said:

@MonsieurX said:

@Heil68 said:

@MonsieurX said:
@PonchoTaco said:

I hope this is the cake

I was thinking more like this:

It even comes with a Miyamoto.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

They may not be the industry leader like the snes days but nintendo that made great games never left.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 no-scope-AK47
Member since 2012 • 3755 Posts

Unless your a old school gamer Nintendo does not even register on console. The playstation has always been the one to get besides the 360 and that was a toss up. Nintendo scored big with the casuals on the wii but they were mostly non-gamers who liked motion. The gamers bought a 360 or ps3 when the price dropped.

People only got wii because they were easy to hack for free games you could play from a hard drive. Pretty much the wii u is a a non-factor most people are not invested in Nintendo ip's so they don't have the rose tinted glasses like the old school guys. You also have the nintendo consoles that are much weaker and lacks features and the online gaming is bad.

Lasty Nintendo has terrible 3rd party support so if you buy their console your pretty much missing out on most of the games of that generation. This makes it a bad choice as a primary console. Nintendo also is very kiddy and even kids like to play what the big boys are playing. Sure you might be ten but you want to play gta5 for example not mario. I mean who the **** plays platformers any more besides old people trapped in the past.

Now it's all about shooting. Nintendo back in the day made goldeneye and perfect dark. Now what do they have crickets memories. The leaders at nintendo are old farts who spend more time on gimmicks than on destroying the comp and that is why they will never win. Nintendo has been broken and they are in bitch mode just looking for a way to submit.

The_Deepblue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 185

User Lists: 1

#81 The_Deepblue
Member since 2007 • 1484 Posts

To me, Nintendo was the best developer around in the eight and sixteen-bit era, and they are still the best today. I have been playing their games for about twenty years. That time has flown, but they have kept core philosophies and great minds when it comes to game-making that has assured that they put out high quality titles. I think that some of the best games the company has ever created have come in the last five years, but the same can be said about Nintendo during any gaming era.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#82 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58965 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

It seems the wii helped popularized the idea that "anyone of any age" can play video games. For many people, it probably is, specifically Nintendo that has gotten them into video games.