Will all high budget PC exclusives disappear?

• 121 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

alfredooo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 alfredooo
Member since 2007 • 2664 Posts

Besides a few strategy games and mmorpgs. (unless next gen consoles have M & KB support)

Apparently Deus Ex HR will be a console port as well. The Witcher 2 and Diablo 3 are likely to get console versions as well, which if successful, will likely mean that future installments in both franchises will release simultaneously on consoles and PC.

Will PC be all about multiplats andlow budget gamesin the future?

Led_poison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Led_poison
Member since 2004 • 10146 Posts
no
jedikevin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#3 jedikevin2
Member since 2004 • 5263 Posts

Insert: Not sure if serious..

Seriously though.. major logic flaw here. You first state "high budget games" them move on to asking will Pc only be multiplats and flash games..

Lets not even get into trying to disregard genre's.

alfredooo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 alfredooo

Seriously though.. major logic flaw here. You first state "high budget games" them move on to asking will Pc only be multiplats and flash games..

jedikevin2

not high budget games in general. high budget exclusives :|

if there is any genres i ignored tell me and i will fix the op. i can't think of any others.

Skittles_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Skittles_McGee
Member since 2008 • 9136 Posts
I hope so. All the best PC games were either low or mid budget anyway. :D And the more chance those have to flourish the better
Avatar image for Ikuto_Tsukiyomi
Ikuto_Tsukiyomi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Ikuto_Tsukiyomi
Member since 2010 • 822 Posts

I hope so. All the best PC games were either low or mid budget anyway. :D And the more chance those have to flourish the betterSkittles_McGee

This.

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts
If we're lucky, yes.
jedikevin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#8 jedikevin2
Member since 2004 • 5263 Posts

[QUOTE="jedikevin2"]

alfredooo

if there is any genres i ignored tell me and i will fix the op. i can't think of any others.

And again, your logic is not making any sense. You are cutting out a TON of exclusives if your asking will pc be only multiplats and flash games. If you stayed true to just debating "high budget exclusives" (Something that has never been a major part Pc exclusives) then you might be able to make a debate. As of now, your cutting out most PC exclusives to debate will Pc only be multiplats and flash games.

That "pc only be multiplats and flash games" would be far from correct considering how many Pc exclusives release every year on the PC for the last 10+ years.

alfredooo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 alfredooo

I hope so. All the best PC games were either low or mid budget anyway. :D And the more chance those have to flourish the betterSkittles_McGee

this would be great. pc gaming should focus more and more on indie games like amnesia and minecraft and leave high budget exclusives to the consoles.

alfredooo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 alfredooo

[QUOTE="alfredooo"]

[QUOTE="jedikevin2"]

jedikevin2

And again, your logic is not making any sense. You are cutting out a TON of exclusives if your asking will pc be only multiplats and flash games. If you stayed true to just debating "high budget exclusives" (Something that has never been a major part Pc exclusives) then you might be able to make a debate. As of now, your cutting out most PC exclusives to debate will Pc only be multiplats and flash games.

i meant low budget games in general it just happens that those seem to be more and more dominated by flash games. i will edit the op.

Mazoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 Mazoch
Member since 2004 • 2473 Posts

Besides a few strategy games and mmorpgs. (unless next gen consoles have M & KB support)

Apparently Deus Ex HR will be a console port as well. The Witcher 2 and Diablo 3 are likely to get console versions as well, which if successful, will likely mean that future installments in both franchises will release simultaneously on consoles and PC.

alfredooo

Not entirely. There's always going to be some. However I think we're going to see high-budget platform exclusive games becoming very rare on both the PC and on the different consoles. Unless a single platform ends up taking a far bigger market share, right now there's just not a lot of financial reasons to work exclusively on a single platform when the cost most high-budget games is reaching 50-100 million in extreme cases.

For high budget titles, multi-plat games just makes a lot more sense unless the developer is a first party developer.

haberman13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 haberman13
Member since 2003 • 2414 Posts

I would rather play Magicka than Halo; Magicka is a $10 dollar game.

If big budget == halo/gears/uncharted etc, I'll pass and stick to what I consider fun.

Unfortunately console games just don't do it, they frequently are simple rehashes of action with cutscenes in between.

IMO PC games have the required depth to keep someone interested, console games (unless you like Michael Bay movies, which most are very similar to) are a little too linear and scripted with very simple combat to keep someone interested for more than a single play-session.

But .. to each their own.

alfredooo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 alfredooo

If big budget == halo/gears/uncharted etc, I'll pass and stick to what I consider fun.

Unfortunately console games just don't do it, they frequently are simple rehashes of action with cutscenes in between.

IMO PC games have the required depth to keep someone interested, console games (unless you like Michael Bay movies, which most are very similar to) are a little too linear and scripted with very simple combat to keep someone interested for more than a single play-session.

haberman13

not all console games are like that. i wouldn't expect you to know that tho :P

haberman13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 haberman13

[QUOTE="haberman13"]

alfredooo

not all console games are like that. i wouldn't expect you to know that tho :P

GT5 is awesome IMO!

UC2, which I own, is a decent one time affair. LBP I would also mention as epic.

Other than that ... consoles, tisk tisk, just not up to the task.

edit: ha, actually Angry Joe was arguing for dance games, and I must give credit to consoles for things like that; with friends over and a few brews thats good stuff.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

alfredooo

You are aware that most of your post is based off rumors right? The title of your thread doesn't even match what you said in your OP :?

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

[QUOTE="Skittles_McGee"]I hope so. All the best PC games were either low or mid budget anyway. :D And the more chance those have to flourish the betteralfredooo

this would be great. pc gaming should focus more and more on indie games like amnesia and minecraft and leave high budget exclusives to the consoles.

I wouldn't mind, as long as we continue to get the best version of games like BF3, Skyrim, etc. on top of those awesome AAA/AA(E) exclusives...low budget or not.

Boomshaffted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Boomshaffted
Member since 2009 • 721 Posts
Warcraft II, Starcraft, Diablo, WoW, Civilization II and IV, Duke Nukem 3D, Quake, Half-Life I and II, Unreal, and so many more were... Low budget?.. Really? Of course many incredible PC games were low budget, but saying "all the best" were mid or low budget is ridiculous.
alfredooo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 alfredooo

[QUOTE="alfredooo"]

lawlessx

You are aware that most of your post is based off rumors right? The title of your thread doesn't even match what you said in your OP :?

I'm not stating this as an absolute fact I'm just looking at current events and coming up with a conclusion. If you disagree, fine I'm open to talk about it. I'm just trying to start a discussion about the future of PC gaming.

And the OP has everything to do with the topic title. I don't know what you are talking about.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

No.

As long as developers like Blizzard and Valve exist, there will be high budget PC exclusives.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ChubbyGuy40

Also like to add that high budget =/= higher quality. Just so we're all clear on that.

And The Witcher 2 isn't high budget compared to other titles out there.

haberman13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 haberman13

No.

As long as developers like Blizzard and Valve exist, there will be high budget PC exclusives.

ChubbyGuy40

Or Bioware, SWTOR is rumored to be the most expensive game EVER.

Also, PC gets the best version of most big budget games, save the FEW exclusives on console which are frankly kinda shabby compared to a good PC game.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ChubbyGuy40

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

No.

haberman13

Also, PC gets the best version of most big budget games, save the FEW exclusives on console which are frankly kinda shabby compared to a good PC game.

Bioware can kiss the certain place on a person where the sun doesn't shine. DA2 sucks and ME2 was boring.

But what you say is true.

haberman13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 haberman13

[QUOTE="haberman13"]

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

No.

ChubbyGuy40

Bioware can kiss the certain place on a person where the sun doesn't shine. DA2 sucks and ME2 was boring.

So in summation to this argument:

PC gets the best exclusives

PC gets the best version of multiplats

The question then becomes: why play on consoles? Clearly PC is the ONLY logical option.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ChubbyGuy40

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

[QUOTE="haberman13"]

haberman13

So in summation to this argument:

PC gets the best exclusives

PC gets the best version of multiplats

The question then becomes: why play on consoles? Clearly PC is the ONLY logical option.

Because theres still the Wii! Theres plenty of games I enjoy on there. Except...well...I don't need it anymore :P

Then theres the few good multiplats and exclusives on PS3 that don't make it to PC sadly. KZ3 is a beastly shooter IMO. Would've been a graphical beast and played great on PC.

Then theres all the games on the 360. You know the really good ones like.....oh I give up.

Kickinurass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Kickinurass
Member since 2005 • 3357 Posts

I would rather play Magicka than Halo; Magickais a $10 dollar game.

haberman13

Wow, you just described Magicka. You should probably use Minecraft as an example of something that isn't like console games, because Magicka sure isn't it.

Boomshaffted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Boomshaffted

No.

ChubbyGuy40
Hrm... What's Valve been making recently that's PC exclusive?
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ChubbyGuy40

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

No.

Boomshaffted

Half Life 3! :P

Its pretty apparent their games are PC first, console second to just cash in on extra sales. The games play horribly on consoles. While the PC versions get constant updates, addons, downloadable content, ect. I listed them just because. Devs rarely state how much a game costs to make them or I'd list a few more.

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#28 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
Diablo III on console? Not likely. Blizzard make great games for PC. You dont see Warcraft III, WOW, Starcraft etc on consoles. For years people have claimed PC gaming is dying, and for years everyone tells them its not. Fact is PC gaming never has been close to dying and never will. Some developers like to increase profits by releasing games on as many systems as they can. You wont see RTS games on console that are better or with as many features as the ones on PC.
hypoty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 hypoty
Member since 2009 • 2825 Posts

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

No.

Boomshaffted

Dota 2. Alien Swarm as well, but that isn't really big budget.

haberman13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 haberman13

[QUOTE="haberman13"]

Kickinurass

Wow, you just described Magicka. You should probably use Minecraft as an example of something that isn't like console games, because Magicka sure isn't it.

4 man magicka - more creative depth to combat than anything on console. 99% of console games are point (err, auto-aim) and shoot, run somewhere, watch cutscene, move forward and repeat. The combat is literally click click click click (which can be fun, don't get me wrong!), but for LONG term and sustained "hobby" gaming PC is the only way to go.

I love my PS3, I just don't use it to game very often, what game on PS3 (and not on PC) can replicate Stalker? Or modded Oblivion, Fallout etc.

I'll get KZ3 eventually, but its a 1 shot deal, run through the story and shelf it.

Boomshaffted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Boomshaffted

[QUOTE="Boomshaffted"][QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

No.

ChubbyGuy40

Its pretty apparent their games are PC first, console second to just cash in on extra sales. The games play horribly on consoles. While the PC versions get constant updates, addons, downloadable content, ect. I listed them just because. Devs rarely state how much a game costs to make them or I'd list a few more.

So wait... Coming out on platform X first, but then coming out on platform Y later means the game is still "exclusive"? So, when Bioware made Mass Effect for the XBOX first and it came out on the PC later, it is XBOX exclusive, for instance? Guess Lemmings should rejoice - you just dubbed Mass Effect XBOX exclusive...
John_Read

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 John_Read
Member since 2009 • 1214 Posts
what are the high budget console exclusive that are not funded by Sony and Microsoft ?
Boomshaffted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Boomshaffted

[QUOTE="Boomshaffted"][QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

No.

hypoty

So, porting a mod and alien swarm counts them as a developer making "big budget PC exclusives"? Is it really that hard to admit that Valve is essentially a multiplatform developer at this point? Their games are still awesome... Or do PC gamers really have that much difficulty admitting that a game that's on a console too can be something they're extremely enthusiastic about - like Valve games?
Boomshaffted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Boomshaffted
what are the high budget console exclusive that are not funded by Sony and Microsoft ?John_Read
Konami, Namco, Capcom make some (Capcom fighters [most major games], Resident Evil, Metal Gear [most games]), Square Enix comes to mind, a host of Japanese RPG makers, more or less everything Nintendo makes - off the top of my head. But what you're saying is basically "What are the high budget console exclusives BESIDES this massive load of them that we'll pretend doesn't exist?" Why even ask a question with such intentional blinders attached?
Kickinurass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Kickinurass
Member since 2005 • 3357 Posts

[QUOTE="Kickinurass"]

[QUOTE="haberman13"]

haberman13

4 man magicka - more creative depth to combat than anything on console. 99% of console games are point (err, auto-aim) and shoot, run somewhere, watch cutscene, move forward and repeat. The combat is literally click click click click (which can be fun, don't get me wrong!), but for LONG term and sustained "hobby" gaming PC is the only way to go.

I love my PS3, I just don't use it to game very often, what game on PS3 (and not on PC) can replicate Stalker? Or modded Oblivion, Fallout etc.

I'll get KZ3 eventually, but its a 1 shot deal, run through the story and shelf it.

Again, you just described Magicka. There's nothing complex about the game. You punch in buttons corresponding the the attack you want to use, and click on an enemy (Or general direction of said enemy if you're mixing earth with it) and watch the carnage. The game is easy - I solo'd it with the only tough enemy being Kahn. Everything else is basically a walking target for you to experiment with different elemental combinations.

Honestly most games boil down to click click click - that's not something only the console side. The Witcher's combat is "click, click, click" as was Morrowind (Oh how I loathe the clicking in that game). Most games simply have a poor grasp of combat, on both PC and console. Honestly, Pokemon is much less "Click,click,click" than a fair amount of full fledged games on ANY home system.

Saying that though, I will be trying Dark Messiah soon, after much hearing some people rave about the combat engine.

supdotcom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 supdotcom
Member since 2010 • 1121 Posts

mhmmm but the fact is the consoles would be nothing without big budget exclusives.

Ragingbear505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#37 Ragingbear505
Member since 2008 • 819 Posts

[QUOTE="hypoty"]

[QUOTE="Boomshaffted"] Hrm... What's Valve been making recently that's PC exclusive?Boomshaffted

So, porting a mod and alien swarm counts them as a developer making "big budget PC exclusives"? Is it really that hard to admit that Valve is essentially a multiplatform developer at this point? Their games are still awesome... Or do PC gamers really have that much difficulty admitting that a game that's on a console too can be something they're extremely enthusiastic about - like Valve games?

I don't mind at all that they're multiplat. Valve games have never been overly deep in their visuals or gameplay mechanics so there isn't a whole lot of room for "consolization." Plus Valve gives PC Gamers the love so it's more than acceptable.

Boomshaffted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Boomshaffted

[QUOTE="Boomshaffted"][QUOTE="hypoty"]

Ragingbear505

I don't mind at all that they're multiplat. Valve games have never been overly deep in their visuals or gameplay mechanics so there isn't a whole lot of room for "consolization." Plus Valve gives PC Gamers the love so it's more than acceptable.

You're admitting the obvious. I'm just having a chuckle at the expense of some guys burying their head in the sand over the pretty obvious fact that almost all of Valve's big-budget content is multiplatform.

hypoty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 hypoty
Member since 2009 • 2825 Posts

[QUOTE="hypoty"]

[QUOTE="Boomshaffted"] Hrm... What's Valve been making recently that's PC exclusive?Boomshaffted

Don't put words in my mouth. Did I say Valve wasn't a multiplatform developer? Please, show me where I said that. I also didn't say their games weren't still awesome, or that I wasn't enthusiastic about their future games. Portal 2 is one of the few games I'm anticipating and yet it's on consoles too. Does it shock you that your baseless predisposition wasn't as accurate as you thought it was? Let's go back to your original question "Hrm... What's Valve been making recently that's PC exclusive?", I answered that politely, I named two games, and then you go and pull an arguement out of thin air, a poor one at that. What did your question have to do with PC gamers' supposed elitism? And better yet, what did my response have to do with it? I also like how you try play down Dota 2 as a 'ported mod'. Don't you think they're going to add a plethora of content to it? A new engine? New maps? New gameplay? Geez, it's starting to sound like a new game! It's one of Valve's major 2011 releases, you can't downplay that. You seemed so eager to jump down my throat you have lost sight of what I was responding to.

GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#40 GeneralShowzer
Member since 2010 • 11598 Posts
[QUOTE="John_Read"]what are the high budget console exclusive that are not funded by Sony and Microsoft ?Boomshaffted
Konami, Namco, Capcom make some (Capcom fighters [most major games], Resident Evil, Metal Gear [most games]), Square Enix comes to mind, a host of Japanese RPG makers, more or less everything Nintendo makes - off the top of my head. But what you're saying is basically "What are the high budget console exclusives BESIDES this massive load of them that we'll pretend doesn't exist?" Why even ask a question with such intentional blinders attached?

Where are the high budget third party games that are exclusive to one platform? Because i can name you a lot of them on PC this year. And only Yakuza 4 for PS3, but that's about it.
True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#41 True_Gamer_
Member since 2006 • 6750 Posts
Find me a 3rd party big budget exclusive on a console that came out in the last 2 years.
John_Read

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 John_Read
Member since 2009 • 1214 Posts
[QUOTE="John_Read"]what are the high budget console exclusive that are not funded by Sony and Microsoft ?Boomshaffted

but they are multiplatform (PS360)
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ChubbyGuy40

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

So wait... Coming out on platform X first, but then coming out on platform Y later means the game is still "exclusive"? So, when Bioware made Mass Effect for the XBOX first and it came out on the PC later, it is XBOX exclusive, for instance? Guess Lemmings should rejoice - you just dubbed Mass Effect XBOX exclusive...

No...no I didn't.

"I listed them just because"

That didn't imply anything. Please don't twist my words. They're the highest respected developer for PC. That is why I listed them. Even then you ignored half the stuff before it.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#44 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Diablo III on console? Not likely. Blizzard make great games for PC. You dont see Warcraft III, WOW, Starcraft etc on consoles. For years people have claimed PC gaming is dying, and for years everyone tells them its not. Fact is PC gaming never has been close to dying and never will. Some developers like to increase profits by releasing games on as many systems as they can. You wont see RTS games on console that are better or with as many features as the ones on PC.Rattlesnake_8
But Diablo was on PS1 and Starcraft was on N64.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ChubbyGuy40

[QUOTE="Rattlesnake_8"]Diablo III on console? Not likely. Blizzard make great games for PC. You dont see Warcraft III, WOW, Starcraft etc on consoles. For years people have claimed PC gaming is dying, and for years everyone tells them its not. Fact is PC gaming never has been close to dying and never will. Some developers like to increase profits by releasing games on as many systems as they can. You wont see RTS games on console that are better or with as many features as the ones on PC.mitu123

But Diablo was on PS1 and Starcraft was on N64.

Both of which sucked and took forever to load.

A PC player would've been able to dominate and smash the console player. ESPECIALLY in SC1.

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

No.

Boomshaffted

DOTA 2.

Kleeyook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#48 Kleeyook
Member since 2008 • 5213 Posts
If that happened then plz enjoyed playing RTS on joypad! Unless k/m became common on consoles!
alfredooo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 alfredooo

Look sweetheart..

It's because not everyone on earth is equal in the sense of having money and intelligence. You for example seem to be a console gamer. You can't help it not being able to get into PC gaming. Maybe your family is poor, you're doing a low grade education because you simply can't keep up with the normal people in life or just a lazy ugly looking metalhead who noone wants in their company.

I however am coming from an well educated background. Don't live in a suburb like you. Have a decent salary. Am caring for the quality of my life and want to enjoy the best of everything. The problem is tho, people like you are like a pesk for us.

Look I don't have any personal problems, even would greet you when i maybe saw you on the street. But it's clear your kind is dragging gaming down. Because a large group of ( morely dumb americans) is only able to game by a 100$ console the devs also start to catering for them.

Now again, I do not have a problem with that but this system sucks. It's like communism, everyone get's equal, not customizations allowed and you pay taxes to the state ( called DLC in gamingland).

It's just sad to see my gaming experience on PC get's dragged down because a majority of suburb people simply can't keep up and have to be catered to in a different way.

Gauloisess

haha wow :lol:

oh wait. you are serious?

please respond, I can't tell.

Gauloisess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Gauloisess
Member since 2010 • 305 Posts

You bet I am. But im of to school now. Enjoy sitting in your trailer.