WiiU Basics will be incapable of downloading Deus Ex!!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 dobzilian
Member since 2012 • 3409 Posts

As it is a 14 GIG Download. The WiiU Basic (which i own) has only a 8 GIG HDD.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/10/deus_ex_human_revolution_directors_cut_is_a_14gb_download_on_wii_u

on the Wii U.

That's not the largest download game on the system by any means, but it will surely cause headaches to those who have had their console for a while and haven't yet invested in a hard drive for additional storage.

The game launches on October 22nd in North America and October 25th in Europe. Will you be picking up a physical copy or opting for the download? Let us know by posting a comment below.

Scream-enne McNulty @Sycoraxic98

Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut is 14 GB (13833 MB) on Wii U. Get ready! @GoNintendoTweet

AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2  Edited By AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts

WiiU.......lol

GAJY_FILTH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 GAJY_FILTH
Member since 2003 • 112 Posts

Just buy an SD card or HDD....

What is the issue?

The good thing about the Wii U is it lets you externally improve the storage unlike other consoles.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34605 Posts

Mhm. That sucks for those people who got the basic and can't afford more storage.. I guess.. I really don't see why people get the basic, though. Especially not if they're serious gamers. Unless they care a ridiculous amount about what color their console is.

GAJY_FILTH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 GAJY_FILTH
Member since 2003 • 112 Posts

@Litchie said:

Mhm. That sucks for those people who got the basic and can't afford more storage.. I guess.. I really don't see why people get the basic, though. Especially not if they're serious gamers. Unless they care a ridiculous amount about what color their console is.

A 500GB External HDD costs £30, lower than a price of a new game, if you own a Wii U, you can afford external storage.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34605 Posts

@GAJY_FILTH said:

@Litchie said:

A 500GB External HDD costs £30, lower than a price of a new game, if you own a Wii U, you can afford external storage.

Indeed. Does this mean that you can get away cheaper with a basic model and get a harddrive, instead of getting the premium model? If so, basic might actually be the better option..

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#7 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41533 Posts

On one hand, it was a bad idea for Nintendo to release an 8 GB system to begin with, but at least you can have external storage.

On the other, Square Enix is still ripping you off with the Wii U version.

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#8 Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

Didn't they stop production of the basic models and started selling only the deluxe ones?

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#9 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

did anyone else think otherwise?

barrybarryk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By barrybarryk
Member since 2012 • 488 Posts

Yeah the 8GB of space on the basic Wii U isn't really an issue considering the system lets you store games on external storage. Just buy an external HDD and call it a day, you'd wind up with more storage than the 'premium' 32GB version and having paid less.

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts

Don't see the big deal, downloadable titles on consoles are still far too expensive to bother with.

FinalFighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3410 Posts

@bobbetybob said:

Don't see the big deal, downloadable titles on consoles are still far too expensive to bother with.

This ^

i was comparing Steam prices with PSN prices the other day and was astounded to see the massive price difference. PSN charges way more compared to steams low prices. talk about getting ripped off.

barrybarryk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 barrybarryk
Member since 2012 • 488 Posts

@FinalFighters said:

i was comparing Steam prices with PSN prices the other day and was astounded to see the massive price difference. PSN charges way more compared to steams low prices. talk about getting ripped off.

And Steams prices, when they aren't having sales, are generally more expensive than physical games from the likes of Amazon or Play.com anyway.

The mad sales Steam has are the main reasons people put up with it.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#15 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

I expected more from you, TC.

dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 dobzilian

@bbkkristian: You mean the Topics name? I worded it like that as its more catchy than "Deus Ex 2013 is 14 Gig if Downloaded"

Please forgive me <3...

DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts

The WiiU was designed to allow the user to determine how much memory they want via external hard drive. I think this is the best way to do it.

dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 dobzilian

@DaBrainz: You could see it like that.

Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Puckhog04
Member since 2003 • 22814 Posts

External HDD.

And nobody bought the basic set anyway...I mean, really, talk about reaching.

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

Check it out Dob smellybum (I'm just kidding. You're cool. That just rhymed and I felt like being mildly irritating)

Launch Wii U Title, Tekken Tag Tournament 2 - http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a433745/tekken-tag-tournament-2-wii-u-edition-to-be-a-16gb-download.html

16 gigabyte download. Wii U Basic owners left in a dirty smelly cess pit.

But yeah, Wii U Basic ... smaller storage capacity than my usb pen drive.

dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By dobzilian

I did. See... look in background at the WiiU.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

You're sporting the basic? Doing it wrong, man.

Seriously though, nothing an external drive won't fix. Do you have an external drive?

dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By dobzilian

@freedomfreak: I had enough for a WiiU 8 Gig with a Game or the 32 Gig and no Game. I chose a Game. I brought my Pro Controller for £20 and got a 16 Gig memory Card currently which i paid £10 for. I havent downloaded any Games in a while though, I think the last Game i downloaded was Super Metroid but i do need to get a HDD.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By freedomfreak

@dobzilian said:

@freedomfreak: I had enough for a WiiU 8 Gig with a Game or the 32 Gig and no Game. I chose a Game. I brought my Pro Controller for £20 and got a 16 Gig memory Card currently which i paid £10 for. I havent downloaded any Games in a while though, I think the last Game i downloaded was Super Metroid but i do need to get a HDD.

Ah yes. Smart. Doesn't have much use if you don't have any games to play on it.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@GAJY_FILTH said:

Just buy an SD card or HDD....

What is the issue?

The good thing about the Wii U is it lets you externally improve the storage unlike other consoles.

you cant use an SD card as storage on WiiiU...only on the wii menu.

tekken tag tournament 2 is 14GB also...so i i had to buy a harddrive a long time ago.

zeroyaoi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 zeroyaoi
Member since 2013 • 2472 Posts

You need an external drive for a wiiu regardless of which model you own. That is if you plan on being connected or buying from the eshop(dlc, vc, and digital only games like Mighty Switch Force!).

I have a large capacity external drive hooked to my wiiu. :3

dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 dobzilian

@freedomfreak: Probably was the smartest move i have ever done as i haven't done many smart things in my life lol. But this is SW's and the WiiU did not have any games until recently .... *cough* Though i've had a blast on Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

That's just laughable.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By freedomfreak

@dobzilian said:

@freedomfreak: Probably was the smartest move i have ever done as i haven't done many smart things in my life lol. But this is SW's and the WiiU did not have any games until recently .... *cough* Though i've had a blast on Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate.

Man, I have Lego City: Undercover, ZombiU, and Wind Waker. Super Mario 3D Land is coming out at the end of this month, and crazy shit is gonna go down in 2014.

Not gonna say it was an absolute MUST-HAVE for the first 6 months, but it's slowly becoming a system worth owning.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30  Edited By 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

Wouldn't this apply to virtually EVERY retail game with the Wii-U basic? I'm sure their are exceptions, but I would think most games would be pushing at least 8-10 GB. With some games being much, much more.

The storage on the Wii-U basic is not even that of a single DVD disc, not even close when you factor in the reserved space, the OS, and mandatory downloads.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 2Chalupas

@Puckhog04 said:

External HDD.

Doesn't the performance suck when you do that? Wii-U is USB 2.0, not even USB 3.0. Even SD cards are hella slow to actually run full fledged games off of - but USB 2.0 is even worse than that. The performance and loading times from an external device is supposed to be even worse than running off of the blu-ray drive with no install.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@2Chalupas said:

Wouldn't this apply to virtually EVERY retail game with the Wii-U basic? I'm sure their are exceptions, but I would think most games would be pushing at least 8-10 GB. With some games being much, much more.

The storage on the Wii-U basic is not even that of a single DVD disc, not even close when you factor in the reserved space, the OS, and mandatory downloads.

Retail games don't need to install

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@2Chalupas said:

@Puckhog04 said:

External HDD.

Doesn't the performance suck when you do that? Wii-U is USB 2.0, not even USB 3.0. Even SD cards are hella slow to actually run full fledged games off of - but USB 2.0 is even worse than that. The performance and loading times from an external device is supposed to be even worse than running off of the blu-ray drive with no install.

you need two usb ports...or just 1 but with a plugged in power source...

i have one and games run just as fast as my retail games....no difference playing off the harddrive.

kingjazziephiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34 kingjazziephiz
Member since 2006 • 2650 Posts

Breaking news.

dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 dobzilian

@freedomfreak: I waited upon Batman AC (free dlc), Darksiders 2 (free dlc). Had Mario to last me me over the first month from being broke as a joke from buying a WiiU. Also brought Tekken Tag 2, AC3, Monster Hunter Tri U to last me the first couple of months. I've got a couple of E-Shop Games to like Super Metroid, Kirby Adventure, Donkey Kong, Trine 2, Kirby Superstar, Mario and Yoshi too. I brought CoD for my Nephews so we could play 2 players online with one using the controller and one using a Gamepad in June. Haven't brought anything new since W101.

2014 is looking great as fingers crossed MH4 will make it up on the WiiU and also Bayonetta 2 is released. 2012/13 was Hit & Miss... Slow from Jan > March it picked up then went dead, Just recently has it picked up momentum again.

I've gotten my use out of it and the only 2 Games which i have missed out on which i want to play which i will is Bioshock infinite and MGS Revengence but will buy them next year out of the bargain bin.

zeroyaoi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By zeroyaoi
Member since 2013 • 2472 Posts

@2Chalupas said:

Not from my experience. Games work the same way they would when purchased physical.

I also remember reading something about the external drive having a faster read time than the wiiu drive. I'm sure there's something about that on the web.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 2Chalupas

@MonsieurX said:

@2Chalupas said:

You do on a digital download (of a full retail game), which is what this thread is about.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

I don't understand why Nintendo didn't fit a freaking laptop HDD in there. Having to buy an external HDD for a console and the transfer data through USB 2.0... Oh lordy, why are Nintendo so stupid?

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#39 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

wow TC fail

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@2Chalupas said:

@MonsieurX said:

@2Chalupas said:

You do on a digital download (of a full retail game), which is what this thread is about.

Retail = disk

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#41 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26098 Posts

Of course Wii U Basics can download and play the game; you just need to store it on a place other than the flash memory inside the device.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

so they're overpaying for something not everyone can download... and I didn't particularly think the game was any good in the first place

GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By GunSmith1_basic

@lamprey263 said:

so they're overpaying for something not everyone can download... and I didn't particularly think the game was any good in the first place

every wiiu can download the game, even the wiiu basic. The TC has a very misleading title and OP.

-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#44 -RPGamer-
Member since 2002 • 34283 Posts

Just buy a physical copy...

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@bobbetybob said:

What is the incentive to download anything rather than buying the physical copy? Does the convenience really outweigh the lack of any type of monetary discount which should come with a digital download?

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

@Demonjoe93 said:

Didn't they stop production of the basic models and started selling only the deluxe ones?

Yep

/Thread

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

the gamepad must have been very expensive for Nintendo not be able to put a hdd in their system. and I'm not a exception a revision. and even if there is it would do the exact opposite like wii mini (lol). for people saying just buy a external hdd, which is true btw, but I don't think the mass knows you could do that. if the public doesn't know that the wii u is a new console(which i find that hard to believe), they wouldn't know you could use a hdd. still don't believe the public thinks the wii u is an expansion to the wii.

GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 GunSmith1_basic

@TheShadowLord07 said:

the gamepad must have been very expensive for Nintendo not be able to put a hdd in their system. and I'm not a exception a revision. and even if there is it would do the exact opposite like wii mini (lol). for people saying just buy a external hdd, which is true btw, but I don't think the mass knows you could do that. if the public doesn't know that the wii u is a new console(which i find that hard to believe), they wouldn't know you could use a hdd. still don't believe the public thinks the wii u is an expansion to the wii.

it has nothing to do with the cost of the gamepad. Nintendo doesn't want any hard drive because hard drives are unreliable. They want their products to last more than 6 years so they included a very expensive flash memory storage. If they were willing to use a standard hard drive they could have had 10x the storage for the same price.

dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By dobzilian

@GunSmith1_basic said:

wow TC fail

How so? I created a Topic about the size of Deus Ex on the WiiU if downloaded and put a catchy name to lure in the Fishies which i pointed out with BBBBrisktian as he said "I expected better of you" as he thought i was using it as some variation of ownage. I also own a 8 Gig which i pointed out to FreedomFreak and posted a picture of it in the background of a Pic of my new Tortoise running away from my Cat.

You failed at saying people fail

People should at least read the Discussion rather than just posting straight away.