Why the hate of casuals?

• 81 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#51 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5249 Posts

@recloud said:

@kali-b1rd: er... The people known to censor stuff are conservatives

It works both ways throughout history with both conservatives and liberals doing the censorship. Both are guilty of doing so.

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#52 LuxuryHeart  Online
Member since 2017 • 1853 Posts
@sovkhan said:

Casuals are the force behind this industry..."Hardcore" gamer are gullible enough to believe that their opinion count, where the fact is, that they are a puny minority.

Fortunately there's enough space for everyone under the sun, and it so happens under the video game star too ^^

So Hate is no sense here.

I totally agree. Casuals also help them have their console wars. It's ironic how hardcore gamers hate them, yet brag about the sales of a system in console wars, when the system sold so well due to CASUAL gamers.

Like casual gamers propelled: PS1, PS2, Gameboy, Wii, DS, PS 360 (casual bro gamers), 3DS, PS4, and they're about to propel the Switch. Like come on... If you're bragging about Switch or PS4 sales, then you should be talking about how much you hate casual gamers.

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By LuxuryHeart  Online
Member since 2017 • 1853 Posts
@AzatiS said:

The industry was moving forward without them. Im not hating on them though but the overcasualization of games the last decade or more led to subpar experiences in the long run.

Few examples Diablo 3 vs Path of Exile, Destiny vs Warframe, WoW vanilla vs WoW expansions, League of Legends vs Heroes of the Storm ... i got so many more examples like that. Overcasualization killed it even if on paper might be more popular.

Lol, no. The PS1, PS2, Gameboy, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, DS, 3DS, PS4, and now Switch are being bought by casual gamers. If casual gamers had no interest, those systems would not have those high sales. I mean look at the SNES, Sega Genesis, and onward. Respected by hardcore gamers, but they never reached 50 million consoles sold. The rest of the hardcore consoles following sold even less. Hardcore gamers are a minority and you need casual gamers.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#54 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58309 Posts

Bullshit label.

When I think casual, I think mobile/phone users who play games. They deserve to have fun too.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

I don’t play on the phone, not because I don’t find fun games for it, it’s because my phone is always busy with calls or with text messages that would continuosly interrupt the game, but ...... I’ve got handhelds on which I can pause the game and continue later. I cooperated with 3DS sales numbers with 5 units. But as I said, I’m no “hardcore”, just a casual.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#56  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34610 Posts

A casual gamer to me is someone who don't care much about what they play, someone who plays something sometimes in short bursts. Like people who play mobile games on the bus/train or FIFA with friends. I do not hate these people.

What's annoying is when the developers are out after their money, and change their existing franchises, or "dumbing down" their series in order to get casual gamers to buy their game, and thus destroying the series for its' fans who really don't want their favourite series dumbed down for casual gamers.

Not sure what a "hardcore gamer" is, but I guess it's someone who play games a lot. I don't use the term myself, since it sounds absolutely ridiculous.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#57 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@GarGx1:

"I've been gaming for 42 years, I'm an enthusiast not hardcore. To me a hardcore gamer would be something akin to a professional who makes money from playing in tournaments."

But then wouldn't they be considered e-sport athletes?

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#58 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts
@nepu7supastar7 said:

@GarGx1:

"I've been gaming for 42 years, I'm an enthusiast not hardcore. To me a hardcore gamer would be something akin to a professional who makes money from playing in tournaments."

But then wouldn't they be considered e-sport athletes?

That would be fair I guess if you want to call a gamer an "athlete". In turn though, isn't a marathon athlete just a hardcore runner?

UnrealGunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By UnrealGunner
Member since 2015 • 1073 Posts

Casual gamers want dumbed down games where they take the control out of your hands and the game plays itself for you. The casuals are the majority of gamers and that's why the gaming industry caters to them.

sovkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 sovkhan
Member since 2015 • 1591 Posts
@recloud said:

@AzatiS: I disagree, Any popular game is casual.

Nothing more to add, simply perfect.

Avatar image for yammireckorrdsan
YammiReckorrdSan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 YammiReckorrdSan
Member since 2016 • 616 Posts

I'm a casual player. I play games on easy mode most of the time. And I'm bad at gaming. I still enjoy gaming.

sovkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 sovkhan

@GarGx1

E-sport isn't representative of "hardcore" in a sense that the competition is between human beings. Sure it needs time and dedication and skill.

Now "hardcore" refers to gamers that are addicted in both terms of difficulties and time spent "gaming" but not necessarily in a competitive way. imo.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#63 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

@sovkhan: It's all subjective as there is no defined rule set to be a hardcore gamer. I just see professional gamers as the hardcore as they are the most dedicated to the hobby or "sport" (I don't see gaming as a sport but I also don't see darts or snooker as sports either). It's a personal view point, nothing more.

sovkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 sovkhan

@GarGx1 said:

@sovkhan: It's all subjective as there is no defined rule set to be a hardcore gamer. I just see professional gamers as the hardcore as they are the most dedicated to the hobby or "sport" (I don't see gaming as a sport but I also don't see darts or snooker as sports either). It's a personal view point, nothing more.

Fair enough ;)

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts
@sovkhan said:
@recloud said:

Try Path of Exile and let me know how casual is compared to Diablo 3.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#67 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@GarGx1:

Athlete doesn't really mean what it used to, anyway. If you can call a race car driver an athlete then anyone can be one. As long as the hobby is popular enough. Physical activity doesn't even matter. It's kinda confusing though.

If a hardcore runner can be called an athlete then I guess a hardcore gamer can be one? But I think there's more to it. You don't just have to run alot, you have to run competitively. That's what I think makes the term work most. If you play in videogame competitions then you're an e-sport athlete.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44066 Posts

I blame bidness offices starting Casual Friday's decades ago. :P

sovkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By sovkhan

@AzatiS said:
@sovkhan said:
@recloud said:

Finished it years ago, good h&s but nothing special about it...

Difficult game is not necessarily a better game, while the difficulty can be adjusted, core game mechanics can't.

Majority of people don't have a lifetime to waste on an incredibly hard level, but you can if you wish to...and if you want us to call you HARDCORE GAMER, we are willing to as well ^^

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By AzatiS
@sovkhan said:
@AzatiS said:
@sovkhan said:
@recloud said:

Finished it years ago, good h&s but nothing special about...

Difficult game is not necessarily a better game, while the difficulty can be adjusted, core game mechanics can't.

Majority of people don't have a lifetime to waste on an incredibly hard level, but you can if you wish to...and if you want us to call you HARDCORE GAMER, we are willing to as well ^^

You still didnt answer my question, and how to since it proves my point all along.

Also you finished nothing i can tell since you bypassing the fact that POE is a hardcore Action online RPG with a very hard learning curve that 99% of players need external help to really understand what is going on with items, gems, economy, orbs, itemization, skill tree and so many different things. You finished POE ? You finished nothing. You went into youtube or forums to understand what is going on, because game is not casual friendly. PERIOD

If you wanna call this as casual as D3, then every game ever created is as casual as the one next to it. Go figure logic. Also who told you i want you to call me hardcore gamer, what this has to do with my point for casual games a god knows. Also why you saying "Want us " or "We are" ? Lol ! What is this now, you are a representantive of a group of people here ? :P

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#71 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

@nepu7supastar7 said:

@raugutcon:

I thought hardcore meant that you're a long term gamer! Since when did it mean the hours you play?

It is a term to refer to how deeply you delve into each game you play. Casual gamers play the games casually, or not to get the highest score/best performance/best rank etc.

Casuals can also only play a few games, or they can be collectors.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By AzatiS
@GarGx1 said:

Depends. Even if theres not a definite rule there are examples that can fit this.

What youll call someone that is a pro Street fighter 5 player doing insane shit ? Casual ? What youll call all those WoW guys making world first records at highest difficulties ? The ones that doing insane speed runs in single player games ? The ones that playing Tetris in Extreme speeds where we barely can see what is happening ? The ones that playing Dark souls at hardest level and clear the game without getting hit once, let alone die once ? Can a casual gamer make it to max rank in online competitive games like League of legends or CS GO ? Have you seen a hardcore guitar hero player or how its called ? And the list goes on and on and on with myriad of examples.

I mean its not that hard to separate hardcore gamers from the rest if you think about it.

sovkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By sovkhan

@AzatiS said:
@sovkhan said:
@AzatiS said:
@sovkhan said:

You still didnt answer my question.

Also you finished nothing i can tell since you bypassing the fact that POE is a hardcore Action online RPG with a very hard learning curve that 99% of players need external help to reall understand what is going on with items, gems, economy, orbs, itemization, skill tree.

If you wanna call this as casual as D3, then every game ever created is a casual game. Go figure. Also who told you i want you to call me hardcore gamer, what this has to do with casual games a god knows. Want us ? We are ? Lol ! What is this now ?

Sure Bro, you know better than me what i've played and what i did not...Idiot statement of the day!!!

What you don't understand is you can adjust difficulty to your liking and call it a day. That's exactly what POE does, by the way.

There are games supposedly difficult, but the truth is simply that majority of people don't have time to waste on these, not that they are less skillful!!!

That's the reason they are niche...If the majority of people wanted hard games, this will change. As simple as that.

Now if you think that an industry will favors 1% of the players ( compared to the 99% that according to you need help in POE ) you are deluded.

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#74 henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

We dont hate casuals. We only hate Xbone fanboys here.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By AzatiS
@sovkhan said:
@AzatiS said:
@sovkhan said:
@AzatiS said:

Also you finished nothing i can tell since you bypassing the fact that POE is a hardcore Action online RPG with a very hard learning curve that 99% of players need external help to reall understand what is going on with items, gems, economy, orbs, itemization, skill tree.

If you wanna call this as casual as D3, then every game ever created is a casual game. Go figure. Also who told you i want you to call me hardcore gamer, what this has to do with casual games a god knows. Want us ? We are ? Lol ! What is this now ?

Sure Bro, you know better than me what i've played and what i did not...Idiot statement of the day!!!

What you don't understand is you can adjust difficulty to your liking and call it a day. That's exactly what POE does, by the way.

There are games supposedly difficult, but the truth is simply that majority of people don't have time to waste on these, not that they are less skillful!!!

That's the reason they are niche...If the majority of people wanted hard games, this will change. As simple as that.

Now if you think that an industry will favors 1% of the players ( compared to the 99% that according to you need help in POE ) you are deluded.

No POE is way deeper than any other Action RPG before it. Thats the issue making it hardcore compared to all others. You need to invest time to understand the game. Many people quiting it because of this. They messing their first character up then quit because of games complexity.

Also i dont care what people want to do with their time or what they prefer. I know that ROGUE games became viral because people got sick of easy games over and over. Im talking about overcasualization of already casual games and how that ruins the fun in the end of the day in plenty of genres otherwise they were challenging. Learn to read.

Diablo 3 on the other hand has nothing of that. Just level up, choose your skills, find your set ( actually you get your set for free on your first toon ) Ready to go. Its that simple. You max level in few hours , you having your set as a gift at max level, happy farming. Whats that compared to POE ?

This is a fine example of what todays hardcore game vs full on casual game comparison looks like under same genre. You like it or not, facts are facts. And you finished nothing, you dont fool me. Specially in the old days, because if you did you wouldnt call it casual.

So which of those 2 games is casual ? Both ? You dont know what the hell you talking about , period.

sovkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By sovkhan

@AzatiS said:
@sovkhan said:
@AzatiS said:
@sovkhan said:

No POE is way deeper than any other Action RPG before it. Thats the issue making it hardcore compared to all others. You need to invest time to understand the game. Many people quiting it because of this. They messing their first character up then quit because of games complexity.

Also i dont care what people want to do with their time or what they prefer. I know that ROGUE games became viral because people got sick of easy games over and over. Im talking about overcasualization of already casual games and how that ruins the fun in the end of the day in plenty of genres otherwise they were challenging. Learn to read.

Diablo 3 on the other hand has nothing of that. Just level up, choose your skills, find your set ( actually you get your set for free on your first toon ) Ready to go. Its that simple. You max level in few hours , you having your set as a gift at max level, happy farming. Whats that compared to POE ?

This is a fine example of what todays hardcore game vs full on casual game comparison looks like under same genre. You like it or not, facts are facts. And you finished nothing, you dont fool me. Specially in the old days, because if you did you wouldnt call it casual.

So which of those 2 games is casual ? Both ? You dont know what the hell you talking about , period.

I've never called it anything, just said " Finished it years ago, good h&s but nothing special about it..."

What you seem to forget is the model, POE is free to play and is artificially made difficult so that people pour money into it.

What i'm saying is the difficulty which seem to be your all out measure of hardcore vs casual is adjustable.

POE normal difficulty is a ballad in the park, the second, third and forth run get difficult because they lower your defenses, resistances and offensives skills, and up those of the AI.

Nothing special here, that how the difficulty rises. I've played it back when it was still beta, around 2013/14, don't know how it's now!!!

If you can't understand this, then keep calling yourself a hardcore whatever!!! and call it a day. Won't waste my time explaining again.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By AzatiS
@sovkhan said:
@AzatiS said:
@sovkhan said:

I've never called it anything, just said " Finished it years ago, good h&s but nothing special about it..."

What you seem to forget is the model, POE is free to play and is artificially made difficult so that people pour money into it.

What i'm saying is the difficulty which seem to be your all out measure of hardcore vs casual is adjustable.

POE normal difficulty is a ballad in the park, the second, third and forth run get difficult because they lower your defenses, resistances and offensives skills, and up those of the AI.

Nothing special here, that how the difficulty rises. I've played back when it was still beta, don't know how it's now!!!

If you can't understand this, then keep calling yourself a hardcore whatever!!! and call it a day. Won't waste my time explaining again.

" Finished it years ago ... nothing special " . With that braindead statement you proved what exactly ? Most likely that youre a Diablo 3 fan and took it personally that i called POE a hardcore game and D3 the overcasual version of same kind of game. Thats your main problem i bet, because you dont make any sense.

Look at you, obsessed with what im calling myself when i said nothing about myself. You just proving what i said above.

Because i dont have time either, if you put POE in the same category as Diablo 3, then you need to think again. POE needs a DEEP understanding to make it work and finish the game which driving casual gamers away or in forums/youtube for help. PERIOD. Its not your average game that taking you from your hand and pushing you to the very end.

You finished nothing, clearly.

For someone that played both games to not be able to understand my point, you need to check it out.

lifelessablaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#78  Edited By lifelessablaze
Member since 2017 • 1066 Posts

These nerds don't realize that the older they get the more casually they'll play videogames. It happens to everyone...unless if you're autistic that is.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#80  Edited By 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts
@onesiphorus said:
@recloud said:

@kali-b1rd: er... The people known to censor stuff are conservatives

It works both ways throughout history with both conservatives and liberals doing the censorship. Both are guilty of doing so.

Facists/religious conservatives and socialists/communists being the ultimate censors.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#81 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6089 Posts

I'm a bit confused,witch isn't hard to do,but am I hardcore gamer because I owned the strong majority of console's over the decades of gaming or does it mean that I'm a casual gamer because I don't worry about Achievement's,high scores,leaderboards,etc .... Don't give me an Einstein math equation for an answer. Casual - Hardcore =?

waahahah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#82  Edited By waahahah
Member since 2014 • 2462 Posts
@kali-b1rd said:

To play devils advocate.

Casuals/liberals expect everything to be integrated and oversimplified to the point where all gameplay/culture becomes homogenized. Except ironically end up destroying pre-existing cultures, censoring history and ultimately bending over for other casualisation/cultures even if they go against the good intentions of the previous culture.

F*ck it all though am I right? if a game doesn't hold your hand, lower it's score by 2. If it has 1 of each non-white male race/gender +2 for "progression"! If it focuses purely on deep mechanics -2 because "confusion" - Best press "Y" to dodge everytime.

Yarp.

Casuals and liberals are completely different.

Casuals don't want homogenization. They are casual and choose not to invest a lot of time into their games... they want to extract the entertainment with the least amount of effort and quickest way possible. So the end result is homogenized experiences because it becomes easier for the person to extract out entertainment. Those games lack diversity and depth in the gameplay. Games that allow the user to fail, be confused or even lost and unable to continue until they figure something out frustrate casuals...

Today's liberal's are just kind of crazy with contradictory beliefs, like social constructionism vs transgender vs being against gay conversion therapy, vs sexism/gender equauty.