Why Sony is giving up on Move when Microsoft is still eagerly pushing Kinect?

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Serioussamik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Serioussamik
Member since 2010 • 773 Posts

That's something that has kinda disappointed me, after I spent so much 2 get those 2 Wands ,a Nav controller and Gun Attachment ( I'M sure millions other like me feel the same).

I mean on relesease was not every other review praising both Move and Kinect and saying both are worthwhile devices? Both platforms saw equally matched releases (like Sports Champions and Kinect Sports, EyePet move and Kinectimals).And even today there's no significant difference killer-app wise among the two.

Some say that Kinect is a bit more innovative and there may be a bit more functionality that the Kinect can end up offering ,but thats debatable at best.

But failure or no failure at least MS is not giving up on Kinect...whereas Sony's disinterest on Move is getting all too apparent.Not nice!

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#2 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts
Move bombed, Kinect was a runaway success.
spookykid143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 spookykid143
Member since 2009 • 10393 Posts

I'm glad Sony gave up on the Move f*ck motion controls.

Avatar image for masterpinky2000
masterpinky2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 95

#4 masterpinky2000
Member since 2004 • 1955 Posts
Move bombed, Kinect was a runaway success. charizard1605
This.
senses_fail_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 senses_fail_06
Member since 2006 • 7033 Posts
Thank God the Move didn't sell. I don't want Sony to be chasing the Wii pot of gold like M$ is currently doing.
Avatar image for GamingVengeance
GamingVengeance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 GamingVengeance
Member since 2012 • 1874 Posts
It didn't really bomb tho, it sold something like 10 millions units, and that was a while ago when I read that Obviously kinect sold much more tho, an as It should since it had much more advertising, and was a more unique product that gathered a lot more interest because of that
Serioussamik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Serioussamik

spookykid143

Come on, KillZone 3 didn't fell all that bad with it.Sports Champions was enjoyable and it's a shame Sega didn't do enough with Virtua Tennis 4...I mean there was so much potential in that Arcade mode.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
thank god for this failure.. a pat on the back to the casuals everyone.. because now we wont have to endure sh!tty casual crap for the ps4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
[QUOTE="charizard1605"]Move bombed, Kinect was a runaway success. GamingVengeance
It didn't really bomb tho, it sold something like 10 millions units, and that was a while ago when I read that Obviously kinect sold much more tho, an as It should since it had much more advertising, and was a more unique product that gathered a lot more interest because of that

Those 10 million units were discrete sales. That is, each Move unit individually sold was counted as a sale. So, consider that you buy one Move wand, one Move Nunchuk, one Move camera. That's three units that Sony counted, right there. If you bought controllers for four people, then, at four pairs of wand+Nunchuk, plus a camera, that's nine units that Sony counted. On the other hand, one Kinect sale is one Kinect sale.
Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

cause they realized the piece of garbage motion controllers are ?

they are a bunch of on rails crap

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#11 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

well i am going to tell it like it is , move is actually inferier to wiimotion /plus why you ask well lets start off with 1 you need lighting for cameras to work ,

2ndly the games that represent move are mostly direct ripoffs or ports of wii games already available as a consumer why would any one pay some 300 extra bucks for a move ps3 plus move game and extension

using our brains here its cheaper and better to go with wii because for motion its the most precise and can be used any where in the home at any time

dark or light , and really doesnt require much

theres down sides to both move and kenict that make wii the better option for motion controls , the games library also is nothing to laugh at , plus wii can use up to 4 motion controllers , ps3 can only use 2 when using extensions

GamingVengeance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GamingVengeance
[QUOTE="GamingVengeance"][QUOTE="charizard1605"]Move bombed, Kinect was a runaway success. charizard1605

Those 10 million units were discrete sales. That is, each Move unit individually sold was counted as a sale. So, consider that you buy one Move wand, one Move Nunchuk, one Move camera. That's three units that Sony counted, right there. If you bought controllers for four people, then, at four pairs of wand+Nunchuk, plus a camera, that's nine units that Sony counted. On the other hand, one Kinect sale is one Kinect sale.

Proof?
Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

Thank God the Move didn't sell. I don't want Sony to be chasing the Wii pot of gold like M$ is currently doing. senses_fail_06

is not about the chase is about abandoning one market to go with the other.

Serioussamik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Serioussamik

Thank God the Move didn't sell. I don't want Sony to be chasing the Wii pot of gold like M$ is currently doing. senses_fail_06

Now I am not a Nintendo-hater but isn't Nintendo also trying to emulate the PS3/X360's graphical prowess with the WiiU? I am not saying it is only concentrating on graphics but Nintendo is caring enough this time around for graphics.

Picking up and applying successful trends can help companies to gain larger customer base and also increase competition to push up the quality...that can't be a bad thing.

Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Jonwh18
Member since 2009 • 9350 Posts

Move was just a cheap wii knock off. Why would a casual consumer buy Move & a PS3 when they could get a Wii with move built in for like $150. Kinect was a compeltely diffferent mechanic so it still sold well.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
[QUOTE="GamingVengeance"][QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="GamingVengeance"] It didn't really bomb tho, it sold something like 10 millions units, and that was a while ago when I read that Obviously kinect sold much more tho, an as It should since it had much more advertising, and was a more unique product that gathered a lot more interest because of that

Proof?

It was on NeoGAF AND Gamespot, I can't search NeoGAF since I can't access it, and GS is glitching out. If you give me a bit, I'll post it here for you. When I googled it, though, two interesting things came up: most news sites refer to discrete sales (particularly CNET and TheSixthAxis), and there is no figure for 10 million. The last figure I get is 4.1 million. I might be wrong, though.
GamingVengeance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GamingVengeance
[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="GamingVengeance"][QUOTE="charizard1605"] Those 10 million units were discrete sales. That is, each Move unit individually sold was counted as a sale. So, consider that you buy one Move wand, one Move Nunchuk, one Move camera. That's three units that Sony counted, right there. If you bought controllers for four people, then, at four pairs of wand+Nunchuk, plus a camera, that's nine units that Sony counted. On the other hand, one Kinect sale is one Kinect sale.

Proof?

It was on NeoGAF AND Gamespot, I can't search NeoGAF since I can't access it, and GS is glitching out. If you give me a bit, I'll post it here for you. When I googled it, though, two interesting things came up: most news sites refer to discrete sales (particularly CNET and TheSixthAxis), and there is no figure for 10 million. The last figure I get is 4.1 million. I might be wrong, though.

ya gamespots horribly glitchy,ill take your word for it but if you find the link do share
mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

by chasing the wii's pot of gold do you mean releasing a simple fighting game to attract kids staring video game characters and a kart racer to attract kids starring video game characters? yea, so glad sony isn't chasing that wii money :roll:

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts
sony didn't give up move... they just make it as an option.
Serioussamik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Serioussamik

[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="GamingVengeance"] It didn't really bomb tho, it sold something like 10 millions units, and that was a while ago when I read that Obviously kinect sold much more tho, an as It should since it had much more advertising, and was a more unique product that gathered a lot more interest because of thatGamingVengeance

Proof?

Yeah that seems odd....why will Sony count each move unit as a sale? Say a guy gets himself a Nav Contrlr few months after he bought the Move starter pack..now Sony would be fools to mark that one-off sale as a "Move" sale and would be at total loss in gauging the sales dynamics. Marking a starter pack sold as a move sold makes more sense.

It's like Newegg claiming to have sold a PC when all it sells is a CPU or a mobo.

Horrible miscalculation if Sony ever did that.

Serioussamik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Serioussamik

Move was just a cheap wii knock off. Why would a casual consumer buy Move & a PS3 when they could get a Wii with move built in for like $150. Kinect was a compeltely diffferent mechanic so it still sold well.

Jonwh18

No offense to your opinion but Dead Space Extraction certainaly did not feel like a it's running on "cheap knock-off" stuff IMO when I played it on the PS3.....that too after playing it on Wii at a gaming parlour. I just played DS:E on Wii at a game parlour just to carry out my own comparison of how that game felt on both platforms. And IMO the PS3 version was far superior contrlowise. Now that's not to say the Wii version was mediocre or something (deliberately not considering graphical differences), just the controls were far more accurate in PS3.

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#22 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
Sony was smart to realise people don't want motion gaming.. sadly there are still crappy kinect games coming out which all get low scores, sell poorly and seem to be a complete waste of space.
DanteSuikoden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DanteSuikoden
Member since 2008 • 3427 Posts

[QUOTE="senses_fail_06"]Thank God the Move didn't sell. I don't want Sony to be chasing the Wii pot of gold like M$ is currently doing. mems_1224

by chasing the wii's pot of gold do you mean releasing a simple fighting game to attract kids staring video game characters and a kart racer to attract kids starring video game characters? yea, so glad sony isn't chasing that wii money :roll:

Implying that success started with the Wii of course...

Masenkoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#24 Masenkoe
Member since 2007 • 4897 Posts

The Move is great with Killzone 3, especially with the sharpshooter and Sports Champions is great. I wish there was more support but I'm not complaining.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts
Yup and I'm thankful. Hopefully Wonderbook fails in both score and sales and then Sony discontinues it altogether.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

[QUOTE="senses_fail_06"]Thank God the Move didn't sell. I don't want Sony to be chasing the Wii pot of gold like M$ is currently doing. mems_1224

and yet both those games arent made for move(lol), where as 67% of all retail games released for 360 last year REQUIRED Kinect(lol)..hmmm...lolz Thank you Sony.
achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts
well this thread turned out to be rather boring.
mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mems_1224
[QUOTE="mems_1224"]

[QUOTE="senses_fail_06"]Thank God the Move didn't sell. I don't want Sony to be chasing the Wii pot of gold like M$ is currently doing. Heil68

and yet both those games arent made for move(lol), where as 67% of all retail games released for 360 last year REQUIRED Kinect(lol)..hmmm...lolz Thank you Sony.

it doesnt matter, they're still made for a casual audience just like the kinect. they would have move functionality if the move wasn't the gigantic failure that it is. can you prove that 67% of xbox 360 games require kinect? because i've bought at least 20 games for my 360 this year and none of them require kinect.
GloriousNippon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 GloriousNippon
Member since 2011 • 209 Posts

Sony never gives up, they have a spine unlike some companies.

Move is a hit success, that's why you don't see Sony scrambling to plaster it all over everything. Its just another grand piece of world renowned technology to go along with their other bleeding edge, top of the line products.

Kinecton the other hand, is a hunk of outdated western tech and Microsoft is basically begging people to use it.

Of course that is what you get when you own a happy meal console. A useless cheap toy on the side. :roll:

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

Because unlike Sony who literally copied the WiiMote, Microsoft actually tried something a little different and its actually taken off. Its Sonys fault for being so boringly predictive.

I hear their new controller has been leaked

PS4controller.jpg

:lol:

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mems_1224

Because unlike Sony who literally copied the WiiMote, Microsoft actually tried something a little different and its actually taken off. Its Sonys fault for being so boringly predictive.

PS4controller.jpg

RR360DD
they would copy microsoft and put the left joystick above the dpad :P
Daanyal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Daanyal
Member since 2009 • 773 Posts

It;s just that the Kinect was more innovative, plus the general public think "wow, no hands", as opposed to "I already have a Wii".

Afrikanxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Afrikanxl
Member since 2006 • 1112 Posts

why am i surprised there are alot of miss informed info being spread out in this thread? (you need good lighting for Move?....lol haha)

there are still Move games releasing till this day.....heck Fifa 13 uses move...more helpful than Kinect version that mainly just uses Voice commands.

here is all the Move games that released THIS year or will release later this year...as well as next year.....there are still other Move games missing from here like I said Fifa 13.

adidas micoachLightning Fish505 GamesUnreleasedTBATBATBANoYesBeyond: Two SoulsQuantic DreamSony Computer EntertainmentUnreleasedQ1 2013Q1 2013Q1 2013YesNoBioShock InfiniteIrrational GamesTake 2UnreleasedFebruary 16, 2013February 16, 2013February 16, 2013NoNoBraveBehaviour InteractiveDisney Interactive StudiosUnreleasedTBATBATBANoNoChampion Jockey: G1 Jockey & Gallop RacerKoeiTecmo KoeiUnreleasedTBATBATBANoNoCounter Strike: Global OffensiveValve CorporationValve CorporationUnreleasedSummer 2012Summer 2012Summer 2012NoNoDisaster Report 4Irem SoftwareIrem SoftwareUnreleasedTBATBAYesNoEpic Mickey 2: The Power of TwoBlitz GamesDisney Interactive StudiosUnreleasedTBATBATBANoNoGal*GunInti CreatesAlchemistUnreleasedTBATBATBANoNoHasbro Family Game Night 4: The Game ShowEA Salt LakeElectronic ArtsUnreleasedTBATBATBANoNoHeavy Fire: AfghanistanTeyonMastiffUnreleasedTBATBATBANoNoJust Dance 3Ubisoft ParisUbisoftUnreleasedTBATBATBANoYesJust Dance KidsAiLiveUbisoftUnreleasedTBATBATBANoYesLondon 2012Sega Studios AustraliaSegaUnreleasedTBATBATBANoNoMotionsports AdrenalineLongtail StudiosUbisoftUnreleasedTBATBATBANoNoOrder Up!!SuperVillain StudiosZoo GamesUnreleasedTBATBATBANoNoSesame Street (working title)Sesame WorkshopTBAUnreleasedTBATBATBANoNoWe DareUbisoftUbisoftUnreleasedTBATBATBANoYesEyePet and FriendsSCE London StudioSony Computer EntertainmentUnreleasedTBAFall 2011Fall 2011YesYesThe Amazing Spider-ManBeenoxActivisionJuly,26,2012NAJuly,26,2012July,26,2012NoNoNinja Gaiden 3[2]Team NinjaTecmo KoeiMarch 20, 2012March 22, 2012March 23, 2012March 20, 2012NoNoSorceryThe Workshop Games, SCE Santa Monica StudioSony Computer EntertainmentMay 22, 2012June 14, 2012May 23, 2012May 22, 2012YesYesPixelJunk 4amQ-GamesSony Computer EntertainmentMay 15, 2012May 15, 2012May 15, 2012May 15, 2012YesYesTiger Woods PGA Tour 13EA TiburonElectronic ArtsMarch 27, 2012TBAMarch 29, 2012March 27, 2012NoNoMLB 12: The Show[3]SCE San Diego StudioSony Computer EntertainmentMarch 6, 2012TBATBAMarch 6, 2012YesNoStart the Party! Save The WorldSupermassive GamesSony Computer EntertainmentMarch 06, 2012TBATBAMarch 06, 2012YesYesGrand Slam Tennis 2EA CanadaEA SportsFebruary 10, 2012
dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 dobzilian
Member since 2012 • 3409 Posts

PS4controller.jpg

RR360DD
I need 4 of those. Sony are a jack of all trades and a master at none. they have not seemed to get much right this gen.
GamerwillzPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 GamerwillzPS
Member since 2012 • 8531 Posts

The floppage of Move is good news. I don't want PlayStation to chase Nintendo's pot of golds like what MS is doing.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#37 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
Kinect doesn't really do much for the user except perhaps making some interface stuff easier, i don't have move, but it's another gimmick thing for the console
CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 CanYouDiglt
Member since 2009 • 8474 Posts

That was a complete scrub move by Sony having all those people buy a product just to forget about it months later. Anyone that believed all the promotions from Sony and purchased Move were screwed over by Sony. Sony pretty much said hey thanks for you money and they just laughed as they walked away.

I am not a fan of motion constrols but if you sell a product then support it.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts
Sony really f***ed those people who invested alot of money in their product and then they abandoned it.
Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts
Sony was smart to realise people don't want motion gaming.. sadly there are still crappy kinect games coming out which all get low scores, sell poorly and seem to be a complete waste of space. Rattlesnake_8
So they wheeled out a crappy product, milked millions of people out of their cash, and then abandoned it and cows thank them for doing it? Jesus that udder milk you all drink from must be laced with some powerful stuff.
6matt6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 6matt6
Member since 2005 • 9726 Posts
I love how the fanboys will always twist things. 'Move bombed' 'LOL yea well sony dun realised motion contrls r 4 noobs' Nope it bombed because no one wanted it. You can bet your bottom dollar that Sony would be force feeding you more Move titles if it was anywhere near as sucessful as Kinect or dare I say? The Wii. This works the other way too. MS fanboys were calling motions controls crap a few years ago. How times change.
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#42 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
Sony never intended it to be something of a focus, whereas MS wants Kinect to be the focus of their gaming division. The way Sony works is that it means core games can be played with Move or controller or in 3D, means there's plenty of choice for every type of person but yeah it looks like it bombed compared to Kinect.
tryagainlater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#43 tryagainlater
Member since 2005 • 7446 Posts

Because Move sucks.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#44 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

spookykid143
They got beat badly and lost to both the Wii and Kinect in the motion sensor game race. I'm not surprised if they pull the plug on it. Even many of Kinect games aren't the greatest, the ones that shined have been very successfully and very fun to play. Kinect 2 might turn out to be leaps better this the first one, but we'll see. I still wish Microsoft would focus more on XBox 360 exclusive games as well. They should be released at least 10-12 exclusives for the system every year, instead of 3-4.
senses_fail_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 senses_fail_06
Member since 2006 • 7033 Posts

Sony has always had a large variety of games for everyone.

The difference being that one has never come at the expense of another.

I know I won't be flailing my arms next gen, lemmings can't be so certain :cool:

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 44065 Posts

I'm thinking it has something to do with sales & profits. :P

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#47 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Move failed to sell.

Kinect sold MILLIONS.

rockydog1111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#48 rockydog1111
Member since 2006 • 2079 Posts
/THREAD. If Move was a success, Sony would be pushing it down peoples throats.
tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

That's something that has kinda disappointed me, after I spent so much 2 get those 2 Wands ,a Nav controller and Gun Attachment ( I'M sure millions other like me feel the same).

I mean on relesease was not every other review praising both Move and Kinect and saying both are worthwhile devices? Both platforms saw equally matched releases (like Sports Champions and Kinect Sports, EyePet move and Kinectimals).And even today there's no significant difference killer-app wise among the two.

Some say that Kinect is a bit more innovative and there may be a bit more functionality that the Kinect can end up offering ,but thats debatable at best.

But failure or no failure at least MS is not giving up on Kinect...whereas Sony's disinterest on Move is getting all too apparent.Not nice!

Serioussamik
There are they are just not advertise properly by sony,many games which support normal controllers also support move,Move just suffer from Wii image deterioration,motion is not what it use to be when the wii launch,move actually work better than wii with motion +.. Kinect is an Eye Toy with depth perception is nothing new,and it sell better on xbox 360 because the xbox users base tend to be more spending friendly than PS3 owners or PS2 ones,Kinect sold more than the Eye toy did on PS2 which did had a much bigger user base,is because xbox fans are use to spend more. In fact this is true for DLC and even more when we talk about XBLG which requires $60 dollars a year for something that every one else get free,many of those who flamed Kinect for been softcore actually bough the thing using crappy excuses like is for my kid and things like that... Kinect is an even bigger joke than Move,it just sell better because of the xbox user base mentality,and because MS spend half a billion promoting the thing.
tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

Move failed to sell.

Kinect sold MILLIONS.

LegatoSkyheart
And kinect sucks even more sales don't take that away.. The fact that some of the biggest features kinect has that is been use on games and on the dash board is voice command say how silly the thing is,voice command is not a capability of a camera is a capability of a microphone.