why people hate Mass Effect trilogy?

• 150 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

musalala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#101 musalala
Member since 2008 • 3131 Posts

People  hate the idiotic "artistic" ending.

sonny2dap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102 sonny2dap
Member since 2008 • 2066 Posts
I love the ME universe just hate the direction the games went, ME1 remains the best game in the series, ME2 remains the most cinematic in the series, and ME3 manages to render all that you did over the course of 3 games pointless, the extended cut was piecemeal patch work to try and make people feel not dis-enfranchised, people say oh just cause the last 10 minutes is bad doesn't wreck the series, unfortunately if in the last 10 minutes the game runs counter to its very core I.E your choices matter then yeah the series is ruined. at this point I'm done with Bioware/EA ME2 was dumbed down but I could see what they were going for so could accept it, DA2 was plain bad made me really question Biowares integrity, and then ME3 I thought ok expanded template of ME2 then the ending and eh eh, all faith in Biowares ability to make a good game went right out of the window.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Hate is a strong word, but there's a strong sentiment towards how the series sort of turned in on itself. And not in a fiction sense, more in regard to its evolution - in many ways it went backwards from the first, while going forwards in others. It's a big mix of some massive underwhelming progress marring a genuinely good series.
KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#104 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

I played through the entire trilogy the last few weeks, and finished yesterday.
That is over 150 hours of Mass Effect I just went through :P

And I have to say, I did not like the direction they took in combat from ME1 to 2. And I really didn't like the sudden change in stance of my Shepard to Cerberus from 2 to 3. Oh and my Shepard got stuck in the environment like 10 times throughout.
Aside from those things, it was a wonderful experience. The story was fantastic from beginning to end. I got to make so many decisions that didn't feel game-y at all. And the ending was pretty much the best ending I could have asked for. I changed stance 3 times towards the ending.
[spoiler]
At first I wanted to control the reapers like the Illusive Man.
Then I saw at the ending that he wasn't in control at all, he can't do it. So I went for destroying them.
Then the Leviathan AI projection made it seem like the crucible could in fact control them, so I wanted to try that.
And then I got the pretty much eternal paradise choice, it would only mean sacrificing my body. Maybe it was an undeserved option, but it felt very satisfactory.
[/spoiler]
In terms of story and characters I absolutely loved it to bits. I'm rilly glad that I played through it all, especially with all story DLC preinstalled. It may have been the best story experience in gaming that I know of. Although not perfect, and not the best games at all.

[spoiler]
(Oh so I picked 'green', and EDI was my fav character and she was so happy :D)
[/spoiler]

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Since when do people hate the Mass Effect trilogy?

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

Ummm... Mass Effect trilogy is a superb action rpg trilogy, but i see people always complaining about it being more of a third person shooter than a proper rpg series .Even if you consider it a third person shooter with rpg elements, its still awesome. Best sci fi game series currently, enjoyable and replayable for NG + mode ... imo.

Why so many people hate Mass Effect trilogy? I'm amazed people enjoy dungeon crawlers as Dragon Age and yet hate on Mass Effect created by same devs.

indzman

Because its linear shi*e with crappy mechanics, its an shooter with stilted chat options.

TheEpicGoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 TheEpicGoat
Member since 2011 • 2006 Posts

Dat trilogy ending.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#108 texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14899 Posts
[QUOTE="sonny2dap"]I love the ME universe just hate the direction the games went, ME1 remains the best game in the series, ME2 remains the most cinematic in the series, and ME3 manages to render all that you did over the course of 3 games pointless, the extended cut was piecemeal patch work to try and make people feel not dis-enfranchised, people say oh just cause the last 10 minutes is bad doesn't wreck the series, unfortunately if in the last 10 minutes the game runs counter to its very core I.E your choices matter then yeah the series is ruined. at this point I'm done with Bioware/EA ME2 was dumbed down but I could see what they were going for so could accept it, DA2 was plain bad made me really question Biowares integrity, and then ME3 I thought ok expanded template of ME2 then the ending and eh eh, all faith in Biowares ability to make a good game went right out of the window.

Wrong again... The extended cut made your choices throughout the trilogy matter. Not only that, they blended well with the final choice. Or did you convienantly leave out the epilogue slide show in your criticism so you can make a criticism? Nevermind all three choices were covered not only in ME3, but the entire series...hell Saren talking about synthesis....the endings do fit the series.
N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

Wrong again... The extended cut made your choices throughout the trilogy matter. Not only that, they blended well with the final choice. Or did you convienantly leave out the epilogue slide show in your criticism so you can make a criticism? Nevermind all three choices were covered not only in ME3, but the entire series...hell Saren talking about synthesis....the endings do fit the series.texasgoldrush

LMAO as if any of that junk you're saying matters. ME3 sucks because unlike 1 and 2, it's filled to the brim with plotholes, melodrama fit for prepuberty girls and meaningless wannabe serious plot devices. The guy you quoted was just trying to not be too blunt for ME3's audience drama sensitive ego. Too bad you have that bioware d!ck so far up your ear you can't hear any voice of reason.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 texasgoldrush

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"]Wrong again... The extended cut made your choices throughout the trilogy matter. Not only that, they blended well with the final choice. Or did you convienantly leave out the epilogue slide show in your criticism so you can make a criticism? Nevermind all three choices were covered not only in ME3, but the entire series...hell Saren talking about synthesis....the endings do fit the series.N30F3N1X

LMAO as if any of that junk you're saying matters. ME3 sucks because unlike 1 and 2, it's filled to the brim with plotholes, melodrama fit for prepuberty girls and meaningless wannabe serious plot devices. The guy you quoted was just trying to not be too blunt for ME3's audience drama sensitive ego. Too bad you have that bioware d!ck so far up your ear you can't hear any voice of reason.

What plotholes? Sorry, they aren't there...its all in the narrative. Nevermind ME1 and ME2 plot devices are far more contrived than ME3's. And once again, I am no Biodrone, and if DAIII goes back to the conservatism of DAO, and is unwilling to take risks, I will skip it, easy.
Armoured_Mage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 Armoured_Mage
Member since 2005 • 766 Posts

I liked mass effect 1, played 2 for about 1/2 an hour and hated bioware.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#114 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Some people like different things. I don't like the Zelda series but there's millions of gamers who do. Also the whole "Is Mass Effect a RPG/Shooter" debate is f*cking stupid and it only matters to insecure gamers.tagyhag

i'm the same i dont like mass effect trilogy but i do like far cry 3 and other games, everbody has different taste in videogames.

t1striker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#115 t1striker
Member since 2003 • 1549 Posts

People have different taste, which explains why some prefer Dragon Age over Mass Effect. Not sure why you were amazed by that.

DivineSword

For me it goes.

DA:O>ME>ME3(though the end seriously sucked)>ME2(still awesome though)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DA2(though I enjoyed it,but quite a disapointment)

Still high hopes for DA3(there actually giving it the time it deserves to be made)

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

Like with any other games series you cannot expect that has everyone has to love it..

imo ME trilogy is great  :)

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 texasgoldrush

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"][QUOTE="Boddicker"]

Your "life or death" decisions didn't really matter since you got a pallete swap replacement for every character that died.

Paragon Shepherd was a complete PC pussua in his quest to SAVE THE HUMAN RACE but not offend anyone in the process.

Renegade Sheperd crossed the line into monstrous territory a few too many times.

Stringerboy

So Wreav is a "palette swap" of Wrex, are you kidding? This is why I think detractors of the series are some of the dumbest in gaming. They completely lie about the game. Let me educate you....they don't "palette swap", they replace some characters with afoil, an opposite which changes the entire tone of the story. So while Wrex will lead the Krogan to peace and respectability, Wreav will lead them to war after the Reaper threat is over. The tone of the Tuchanka arc is entirely different with Wrex than with Wreav. Nevermind your choice in ME2 can impact the survival of the moderating force, Eve. And many cases they don't get replaced, and different things can happen. Many of the times, major. "Paragon Shepherd was a complete PC pussua in his quest to SAVE THE HUMAN RACE but not offend anyone in the process. Renegade Sheperd crossed the line into monstrous territory a few too many times." News flash....they fixed this problem in ME3.

Except in the endings where two of the choices are war crimes.

Welcome to grey morality.....nevermind Shepard having to blow up a Batarian colony to stop the Reapers from invading in ME2, or when he and legion kill an enitre geth "city" so quarian live ships can't be targeted. Nevermind the fact that Shepard's path to victory may mean the deaths of others. Its all in the narrative...did you see the "ruthless calculus of war" conversation with Garrus?
cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#118 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

[QUOTE="Stringerboy"]

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"] So Wreav is a "palette swap" of Wrex, are you kidding? This is why I think detractors of the series are some of the dumbest in gaming. They completely lie about the game. Let me educate you....they don't "palette swap", they replace some characters with afoil, an opposite which changes the entire tone of the story. So while Wrex will lead the Krogan to peace and respectability, Wreav will lead them to war after the Reaper threat is over. The tone of the Tuchanka arc is entirely different with Wrex than with Wreav. Nevermind your choice in ME2 can impact the survival of the moderating force, Eve. And many cases they don't get replaced, and different things can happen. Many of the times, major. "Paragon Shepherd was a complete PC pussua in his quest to SAVE THE HUMAN RACE but not offend anyone in the process. Renegade Sheperd crossed the line into monstrous territory a few too many times." News flash....they fixed this problem in ME3.texasgoldrush

Welcome to grey morality.....nevermind Shepard having to blow up a Batarian colony to stop the Reapers from invading in ME2, or when he and legion kill an enitre geth "city" so quarian live ships can't be targeted. Nevermind the fact that Shepard's path to victory may mean the deaths of others. Its all in the narrative...did you see the "ruthless calculus of war" conversation with Garrus?

That's one thing that was cool about the series. The dlc stories actually mattered. I didn't buy any of them but kinda wish I had now.

And texasgoldrush you know a bunch about mass effect. You know how they were taking humans to make a new reaper, and they say that the reapers must reproduce by taking the best of every generation of organics? If that's true how come it seems like there's only one type of reaper, that squid type thing. This always bothered me, do you have an explanation?

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#120 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts
[QUOTE="Giancar"]> Bioware "betrayed" them > cool to hate popular franchises > last 10 minutes > texasgoldrush Among other reasons. I find it to be a great series.

this
LazySloth718

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 LazySloth718
Member since 2011 • 2345 Posts

I loved the trilogy but wish it was more game and less cutscene, it's pushing MGS4 level of (lack of) interactivity.

redskins26rocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 redskins26rocs
Member since 2009 • 2674 Posts
Mass Effect 2 took away everything i loved and made it a very straight forward and wanted to be a movie more than an immersive game. It also was not very content rich with things that make rpgs great to me like armors, weapons, and upgrades. Mass Effect 3 was a more content rich Mass Effect 2 that ended the story terribly and destroyed my love for the whole trilogy, which was slowly happening anyway. Mass Effect 3 does have one awesome coop though. Yes I know ME1 was far from perfect and needed a few improvements, but to me it seems they threw their great concept out the window and just restarted with ME2. ME1 was one of the first games i played this game gen and almost my favorite game of this generation, and to me the last 2 dont compare.
Avatar image for Master_ShakeXXX
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#123 Master_ShakeXXX
Member since 2008 • 13361 Posts

I played through the entire trilogy. That is over 150 hours of Mass Effect I just went through :P

KungfuKitten

I am so sorry.

Granny_Spanked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 Granny_Spanked
Member since 2013 • 1341 Posts
Mass Effect 2 took away everything i loved and made it a very straight forward and wanted to be a movie more than an immersive game. It also was not very content rich with things that make rpgs great to me like armors, weapons, and upgrades. Mass Effect 3 was a more content rich Mass Effect 2 that ended the story terribly and destroyed my love for the whole trilogy, which was slowly happening anyway. Mass Effect 3 does have one awesome coop though. Yes I know ME1 was far from perfect and needed a few improvements, but to me it seems they threw their great concept out the window and just restarted with ME2. ME1 was one of the first games i played this game gen and almost my favorite game of this generation, and to me the last 2 dont compare. redskins26rocs
Yes, ME2 took away some of the RPG elements of the first game, but that doesn't mean it was worse than ME1. ME2 was my favorite out of the series and improved upon a lot of flaws in ME1. ME2 was far from a restart, it was a major improvement.
tetrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 tetrim
Member since 2012 • 230 Posts
I find it boring that's all.
Avatar image for GeneralMufinMan
GeneralMufinMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#126 GeneralMufinMan
Member since 2013 • 387 Posts
Mass Effect remains my favorite game series of all time, surpassing even Half Life and Fallout, just great stuff. Been a fan since I saw that first trailer way back in 2007, even love the ending. Only series I'd call myself a fanboy over. Great universe, great characters, great writing, just great.
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#127 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 texasgoldrush

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"][QUOTE="Stringerboy"]

cain006

That's one thing that was cool about the series. The dlc stories actually mattered. I didn't buy any of them but kinda wish I had now.

And texasgoldrush you know a bunch about mass effect. You know how they were taking humans to make a new reaper, and they say that the reapers must reproduce by taking the best of every generation of organics? If that's true how come it seems like there's only one type of reaper, that squid type thing. This always bothered me, do you have an explanation?

The squid thing is only the outside shell, which resembles the Leviathans. Its explained in Leviathan DLC.
senses_fail_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 senses_fail_06
Member since 2006 • 7033 Posts

Poor ending

Poor exploration

Poor gameplay

Choices in the game don't matter

2 was good, but I can't say the same for the games before and after it. It's a poor series and a fall from greatness for the once great Bioware. Oh well, we can always just replay KotOR. 

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 texasgoldrush

Poor ending

Poor exploration

Poor gameplay

Choices in the game don't matter

2 was good, but I can't say the same for the games before and after it. It's a poor series and a fall from greatness for the once great Bioware. Oh well, we can always just replay KotOR. 

senses_fail_06
Except for the endgame choice, your choices never mattered in KOTOR, KOTOR had mediocre gameplay and exploration as well. Gotta love the hypocrisy of those who say Bioware had fallen...we Bioware made the smae mistakes that fans criticize Bioware now for, and made them worse back then as well. And once again, your choices did matter in ME3, that is a FACT.
locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
I love the trilogy, one of the defining series of this gen. Only the ending disappointed me, the 150 hours of sweet gameplay before that was unreal tho!
Avatar image for 001011000101101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 337

#132 001011000101101
Member since 2008 • 4395 Posts
Whiny babies can't get over the ending. Which was fixed with a free piece of DLC.
SciFiRPGfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 SciFiRPGfan
Member since 2010 • 694 Posts

Except in the endings where two of the choices are war crimes.Stringerboy

/Romo Lampkin mode on

Technically they most likely aren't. At least not under the definitions of most of current legal systems. Most of the crimes, including the war ones, actually require the perpetrator to have an intention to commit them - i.e. the perpetrator has to want to commit the crime or at least be aware that his actions will result in crime and he must do it of his own free will.

That was obviously not Shepard's case because Shepard hasn't suddenly made a decision like "yeah, let's exterminate some species or let's change the genetic structure of organisms". Shepard was under such cicumstances, that not doing what (s)he did could have resulted in far worse consequences.

I presume, that you must have at least vaguely heard of concept of defenses against criminal charges - i.e. the circumstances under which what seems to look like a crime actually isn't a crime (e.g. self defense, defense of necessity, defense of duress, etc.). Well, that's Shepard's case.

/Romo Lampkin mode off 

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#134 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

[QUOTE="cain006"]

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"] Welcome to grey morality.....nevermind Shepard having to blow up a Batarian colony to stop the Reapers from invading in ME2, or when he and legion kill an enitre geth "city" so quarian live ships can't be targeted. Nevermind the fact that Shepard's path to victory may mean the deaths of others. Its all in the narrative...did you see the "ruthless calculus of war" conversation with Garrus?texasgoldrush

The squid thing is only the outside shell, which resembles the Leviathans. Its explained in Leviathan DLC.

Ah okay. That makes sense, couldn't imagine a giant human to be flying around space.

Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#135 Some-Mist
Member since 2009 • 5631 Posts
I liked the first game a lot - mostly due to the exploration aspect. ME2 was pretty fun, but I didn't enjoy it as much as 1 because the lack of planet exploration. I liked maybe 2 parts in ME3. I'm really not the biggest fan of the trilogy, but I guess I don't technically hate it.
DivineSword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 DivineSword  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 15840 Posts

I liked the first game a lot - mostly due to the exploration aspect. ME2 was pretty fun, but I didn't enjoy it as much as 1 because the lack of planet exploration. I liked maybe 2 parts in ME3. I'm really not the biggest fan of the trilogy, but I guess I don't technically hate it.Some-Mist
I actually find the planet exploration for the first Mass Effect to be the worst part of the game, sure there is exploration but most of the time it just searching debris and entering the same two or three building everytime. It doesn't help that there were 50 or so of these mission. Talk about repetition.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#137 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

[QUOTE="KungfuKitten"]

I played through the entire trilogy. That is over 150 hours of Mass Effect I just went through :P

Master_ShakeXXX

I am so sorry.

I forgive you :oops:

Loegi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 Loegi
Member since 2009 • 1692 Posts
Broken promises and unnecessary changes.
Avatar image for Sir-I_exCalibur
Sir-I_exCalibur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 Sir-I_exCalibur
Member since 2013 • 724 Posts
Just started ME3 and I can already say I will actually like this game unlike ME2, due to the smooth controls and gameplay. It is actually up to standards now instead of the blocky sqaure meter movement of ME2 which pretty much ruins aiming and gunplay.
Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

action rpg trilogy

indzman

That is one issue I have with it. Not just any action RPG either, it just had to be a TPS/RPG hybrid. Shooting and RPG elements dont mix well, just look at Borderlands. Oh an that is not all, it had to be a cover based shooter as well, the kind that has been a plague to this gen.

pl4yer_f0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 pl4yer_f0und
Member since 2009 • 990 Posts
[QUOTE="Giancar"]> Bioware "betrayed" them > cool to hate popular franchises > last 10 minutes > texasgoldrush Among other reasons. I find it to be a great series.

Pretty much this.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#142 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts
[QUOTE="Giancar"] > texasgoldrush

This should be more than enough of a reason for anyone.
Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#143 Some-Mist
Member since 2009 • 5631 Posts

[QUOTE="Some-Mist"]I liked the first game a lot - mostly due to the exploration aspect. ME2 was pretty fun, but I didn't enjoy it as much as 1 because the lack of planet exploration. I liked maybe 2 parts in ME3. I'm really not the biggest fan of the trilogy, but I guess I don't technically hate it.DivineSword

I actually find the planet exploration for the first Mass Effect to be the worst part of the game, sure there is exploration but most of the time it just searching debris and entering the same two or three building everytime. It doesn't help that there were 50 or so of these mission. Talk about repetition.

I liked it more than going from tight corridor to tight corridor all game. I even felt limited even in the citadel - they could've at least opened it up more in the 2nd and 3rd installments. I think they were on the right track with the first game - they just needed to add more to the different planets. It seemed kinda lame that they limited you in the 2nd and 3rd games when you can see this vast space system.
texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 texasgoldrush
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="Giancar"] > texasgoldrush

This should be more than enough of a reason for anyone.

please... people want to bash Bethesda and Bioware because they are at top, while ignoring the flaws of companies such as Obsdian and CDProjeckt. Nevermind the CDP had to fix both of thier Witcher games.
texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 texasgoldrush

[QUOTE="indzman"]

action rpg trilogy

Maroxad

That is one issue I have with it. Not just any action RPG either, it just had to be a TPS/RPG hybrid. Shooting and RPG elements dont mix well, just look at Borderlands. Oh an that is not all, it had to be a cover based shooter as well, the kind that has been a plague to this gen.

No, Borderlands works...thats why it has many Reader GOTY awards. Crap like Alpha Protocol doesn't work. And the hybrid in ME3 works well enough for the multiplayer not only to work, but be a complete suprise...and what do you know? ANOTHER multiplayer expansion coming.
Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#146 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts
[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"] please... people want to bash Bethesda and Bioware because they are at top

Because Bethesda is a top developer in releasing buggy games? Yeah, you are right. I don't disagree with ya.
texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 texasgoldrush
[QUOTE="Miroku32"][QUOTE="texasgoldrush"] please... people want to bash Bethesda and Bioware because they are at top

Because Bethesda is a top developer in releasing buggy games? Yeah, you are right. I don't disagree with ya.

However, so does Obsidian. But what makes Bethesda one of the top developers is that they do open world better than anyone else right now.
Riadon2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 Riadon2
Member since 2011 • 1598 Posts

I like the Mass Effect trilogy, other than the failed abortion of an ending in ME3.

StealthSting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 StealthSting
Member since 2006 • 6915 Posts

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"] So an opinion based around a point being missed is valid? Thats what most ME3 detractors actually do, miss the point or plot element to criticize the game.texasgoldrush

Because people don't go to the in and outs like you do. People can finish the trilogy and still not like it you know, doesn't make them stupid, it just makes them different.

I'd like to think I am one of the people that can actually straddle the middle line of loving it and hating it. It's neither the best thing ever nor the worst. I can look upon it with my own opinions and form my own conclusions on it. 

But to actually see something for what it really is...you have to see the ins and outs. The series is heavy on its ins and outs.

I have to somewhat agree, but at the same time I feel that it's not that simple. Take my example, I never finished any of the DLC for Mass Effect and never finished the third one, I can only derive my opinion based on the experience I've had with the first two games. So I'm far from being the biggest aficionado of the series.

At the same time I read some of your comments about the ins and outs of the series--some of them I didn't even know about--and the conclusion is still the same: I read the ins and outs from you, I understood them, and I still, personally, I don't find them that special. In the games defense though I will say that there is a significant difference between experiencing those elements through gameplay, and reading on a forum by your own words.

I can have a person explain to me the ins and outs of something like Twilight, thoughts and connections that maybe I would never think of in my life. Doesn't stop me from thinking that it was still a poor novel with an uninteresting romantic relationship from in the mix--yes I read the damn book.

All that said, I can still form an opinion on the experience I've had with the two games, and I don't find most of the criticism I've placed on the experience to be all that invalid. Sure things were fixed with DLCs and maybe the third game later on, but that doesn't stop me for being more than qualified to make my own judgement on those experiences. If I think that seanmcloughlin has a point when he says that the second game in the series felt like a pokemon quest to catch them all--at least in some measure--then that's the experience I've had with it.    

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 texasgoldrush

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"][QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

Because people don't go to the in and outs like you do. People can finish the trilogy and still not like it you know, doesn't make them stupid, it just makes them different.

I'd like to think I am one of the people that can actually straddle the middle line of loving it and hating it. It's neither the best thing ever nor the worst. I can look upon it with my own opinions and form my own conclusions on it. 

StealthSting

But to actually see something for what it really is...you have to see the ins and outs. The series is heavy on its ins and outs.

I have to somewhat agree, but at the same time I feel that it's not that simple. Take my example, I never finished any of the DLC for Mass Effect and never finished the third one, I can only derive my opinion based on the experience I've had with the first two games. So I'm far from being the biggest aficionado of the series.

At the same time I read some of your comments about the ins and outs of the series--some of them I didn't even know about--and the conclusion is still the same: I read the ins and outs from you, I understood them, and I still, personally, I don't find them that special. In the games defense though I will say that there is a significant difference between experiencing those elements through gameplay, and reading on a forum by your own words.

I can have a person explain to me the ins and outs of something like Twilight, thoughts and connections that maybe I would never think of in my life. Doesn't stop me from thinking that it was still a poor novel with an uninteresting romantic relationship from in the mix--yes I read the damn book.

All that said, I can still form an opinion on the experience I've had with the two games, and I don't find most of the criticism I've placed on the experience to be all that invalid. Sure things were fixed with DLCs and maybe the third game later on, but that doesn't stop me for being more than qualified to make my own judgement on those experiences. If I think that seanmcloughlin has a point when he says that the second game in the series felt like a pokemon quest to catch them all--at least in some measure--then that's the experience I've had with it.    

and yet, the second game, they are the story, nevermind that many of the arcs in ME2 with the characters play a big role in ME3. Fact is as well, the conclusion isn't the same...the very worst destory ening is very different from the best one, characters live or die based on your decisions, etc.