Why PC games are Cheaper (So Sad)

• 130 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for DarthaPerkinjan
DarthaPerkinjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 DarthaPerkinjan
Member since 2005 • 1318 Posts

Hermits get cheaper games and sales because theres no way on earth they'll pay full price for a game.

They'll just pirate it instead.

Make a game $60 and they'll pirate it like crazy. Make it $30, $40 and MAYBE they'll buy it.

It must suck so bad to be a hermit. Spend 10x more money then a console to buy superior equipment, and yet no studios take advantage of all that power, instead they focus their games around the capabilities of consoles. So sad. And yet hermits deserve it because they pirate 95% of their games.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

Yawn. Just more whining from some little bitch with no information whatsoever to back up his idiotic opinion. How are you not banned yet, troll?

Avatar image for DarthaPerkinjan
DarthaPerkinjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 DarthaPerkinjan
Member since 2005 • 1318 Posts

Forbes: 95% of hermits pirating games

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2012/08/22/ubisoft-ceo-yves-guillemot-pc-gaming-piracy-levels-up-at-95/

TrooperManaic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 TrooperManaic
Member since 2004 • 3863 Posts

Actually the sole reason why gaming is cheaper on PC is because of the way its distributed. Steam is a perfect example of this. 7 million active users don't lie.

I actually had a theory on how to fix the console gaming industry as a whole but sadly it didnt get as much attention as I thought it would. http://www.gamespot.com/forums/games-discussion-1000000/how-to-fix-the-gaming-industry-30947240/

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

If I wanted to pirate a game, I'd do it on the consoles. No chance of getting into trouble about it.

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts

There are quite a few more logical reasons for them to be cheaper, but it looks like you're not smart enough to understand these things, such a shame.

Sagem28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Sagem28
Member since 2010 • 10498 Posts

Yeah, it sucks.
Just paid 12 Euros for 3 games. Nearly broke my heart.

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115429 Posts

@DarthaPerkinjan said:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2012/08/22/ubisoft-ceo-yves-guillemot-pc-gaming-piracy-levels-up-at-95/

100% of that link being over a year old....

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

because Hermits are sad individuals who only talk about their hardware specs rather than the games that they've play

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

Why would i buy a PC game when i could get it on a flashdrive for free?

PC piracy is easy to do

danabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#12 danabo
Member since 2003 • 2438 Posts

@DarthaPerkinjan said:

Here's something a bit newer:

BitTorrent study challenges videogame piracy misconceptions

"Drachen said in a press release: "First and foremost, P2P game piracy is extraordinarily prevalent and geographically distributed [at least it was during the period analysed]. However, the numbers in our investigation suggest that previously reported magnitudes in game piracy are too high. It also appears that some common myths are wrong, e.g. that it is only shooters that get pirated, as we see a lot of activity for children's and family games on BitTorrent for the period we investigated."

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-05/15/bittorrent-gaming-study

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Good. 99% of games aren't worth $60

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#15 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

But pc gamers aren't cheaper on steam. The price is set by the publishers (i.e. not valve) and being the greedy cunts they are and how aware they are as steam as a source of income they are jacking prices to the same and in some cases higher than consoles.

I don't pirate myself, never have, never will. But it's difficult to feel any sympathy what so ever for these cunts.

**** them.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

lol

pre order prices on pc is about $45. SO why in hell would someone pay more then that? and They are digital downloaded, no retail store profit, no shipping, no paying ms/sony console fees = lower price

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@2ndwonder said:

@DarthaPerkinjan said:

100% of that link being over a year old....

older than TC is in real life

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

i bort my gaems.

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#19 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

Came in expecting a jealous console peasant talking about piracy. Left being right. But left is really left and right is right. But I still left being right.

TrooperManaic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TrooperManaic
Member since 2004 • 3863 Posts

@farrell2k said:

@TrooperManaic said:

Actually the sole reason why gaming is cheaper on PC is because of the way its distributed. Steam is a perfect example of this. 7 million active users don't lie.

I actually had a theory on how to fix the console gaming industry as a whole but sadly it didnt get as much attention as I thought it would. http://www.gamespot.com/forums/games-discussion-1000000/how-to-fix-the-gaming-industry-30947240/

lol. Absolutely not. Distribution has nothing to do with the lower prices for PC games. PC games are less expensive and drop in price quicker because of market forces, plain and simple. It's what consumers will bear. That's it.

Actually there was quite a few more reasons why they are cheaper.I remember watching a video a while back that changed my view on why the prices are influenced in the manner that they are but if you honestly think that the way its distributed "mainly Steam, Greenmangaming, Amazon, Origin" doesn't effect its price then you have no idea what you are talking about. What you are basically saying is if they charge high prices for games like the console markets do then we wont take it, truth of the matter is people are still going to buy it.

One of the reasons why we don't see this on consoles is because they have a monopolized digital market compared to PC's competitive ones.

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

@DarthaPerkinjan said:

Didn´t Ubisoft apologised for those statements ?

Ironically, Ubisoft releases ALL their games on PC.

Avatar image for deactivated-58e448fd89d82
deactivated-58e448fd89d82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-58e448fd89d82
Member since 2010 • 4494 Posts

My huge library of games agree to the cheap prices, but piracy is definitely not the reason.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

wouldn't be surprised if it was you on your avatar, tc.

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 StrongDeadlift
Member since 2010 • 6073 Posts

They are cheaper because publishers dont have to pay Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo a $15-$20 "tax" (out of that $60) for permission to publish games on their platforms.

edidili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By edidili
Member since 2004 • 3449 Posts

@DarthaPerkinjan said:

Make a game $60

Why exactly should a game distributed digitally cost the same as one that has packaging and distribution through retailer cost? You have the physical disc, the case, the process of packaging, the cost of transporting it to the retailer, the cut that the retailer will take from the game. Plus you can afterwards resell the game if you want.

Yet when I buy BF from Origin it has the same price? All EA is doing is transferring a few GB from their servers to my PC and in this day and age that isn't costly at all. And I'll never be able to trade the game.

PC gaming has moved on from retail ages ago yet we still see an unexplainable influence of the archaic retail model of consoles over the price model of PC games.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Because of no boundaries.

dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

@DarthaPerkinjan said:

Spend 10x more money then a console to buy superior equipment,

Why would I spend 10x more money, then buy a console? What am I spending 10x on? A car? A jetski? A new wardrobe?

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Just got Metro Last Light on steam sale for 10,19euro, 66% lower price, thank you Gabe. I dont complain:P

Avatar image for deactivated-5920bf77daa85
deactivated-5920bf77daa85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#30 deactivated-5920bf77daa85
Member since 2004 • 3270 Posts

@DarthaPerkinjan said:

Lol, "Forbes"

That's Ubisoft claiming, not Forbes analyzing. You can figure that out reading the link address. Ubisoft is famous for none of it's products selling well on PC (unlike, say, Simcity, Sims, or Starcraft, which use a CD-key for DRM)

It was consoles that almost ended up with the worst DRM. The reason? It's not about Piracy, its about used game sales. Publishers (especially western console publishers) intend gamers to get sick of their products so that they'll buy the next iteration. One of the consequences is that EBgames ends up with crates or pre-owned games before the friggin game is a week old. Boo woo!

Prices are higher on consoles for the same reason that Console hardware is initially sold at a loss - Microsoft or Sony take a cut out of every game sold on their platform.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

If I buy from Steam the costs are far lower

• No shop space required, no bills for heating, electricity etc
  • Staff of said shop
  • Shop isn't there to take a huge cut (steam takes a much smaller cut than a high street shop)
  • Box, transport of game
  • No risk of left over stock sitting in a warehouse costing money

etc

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

LOl look everybody yet another anti PC butthurt thread from people that do not own or know anything about the PC...what a shocker.

A statement by ubi which they admitted themselves wasn't an honest representation then a random opinion from a console gamer passed off as facts..

Self ownage number 298,465,123, Glorious :P

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#33  Edited By Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

We get cheaper games because they aren't held at higher prices like console games. Because there is no royalty to pay.

Only Activision games stay at higher price... Because they like milking it's COD franchise.

ConorHat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#34 ConorHat
Member since 2013 • 141 Posts

So you're saying PC gamers get games cheaper because if corporations don't price their games reasonably we can just pirate them for free. In otherwords, PC gamers have the gun to the heads of the corporations while console gamers like to take it in the butt.

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By BeardMaster
Member since 2012 • 1686 Posts

PC gamers definitely arent wiling to buy games. I dont know if its primarily because of piracy, though I imagine thats certainly part of the equation. But they definitely dont like paying money for games which is why you have the rise of F2P games as companies try to figure out how to extract money from the incredibly stingy hermit population.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-58e448fd89d82

@BeardMaster said:

PC gamers definitely arent wiling to buy games. I dont know if its primarily because of piracy, though I imagine thats certainly part of the equation. But they definitely dont like paying money for games which is why you have the rise of F2P games as companies try to figure out how to extract money from the incredibly stingy hermit population.

How does it feel to be butt raped with hard facts?

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

Maybe because there are no royalty feeds to MS and Sony , most sales are from DD and services like steam take less money from each copy compared to retail chains let alone no shipping costs and not your imaginary pc gamers dont buy games ( and is kinda ironic when BF4 one of the few $60 games on pc has more players on pc hence probably more people bought it compared to consoles )

But only in SW you will find fanboys trying to discredit one huge advantage of pc that are cheap games

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

@DarthaPerkinjan said:

Hermits get cheaper games and sales because theres no way on earth they'll pay full price for a game.

Make a game $60 and they'll pirate it like crazy. Make it $30, $40 and MAYBE they'll buy it.

It must suck so bad to be a hermit. Spend 10x more money then a console to buy superior equipment, and yet no studios take advantage of all that power, instead they focus their games around the capabilities of consoles. So sad. And yet hermits deserve it because they pirate 95% of their games.

Your avatar seems so fitting for you TC.

Avatar image for endlessinfinity
EndlessInfinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#39 EndlessInfinity
Member since 2013 • 231 Posts

@BeardMaster:

F2P is becoming prevalent on console

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

@DarthaPerkinjan said:

They are cheaper because PC developers do not have to pay to use propriety disks and do not pay royalties.

Dumbass thread confirmed,lol

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By BeardMaster

@AMD655 said:

@BeardMaster said:

Cold hard facts tend to be things like sales figures, which in the case of multiplats, generally backs up that PC games dont like buying games vs their console counterparts.

This is a steam profile, this is not cold hard facts.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-58e448fd89d82

@BeardMaster said:

@AMD655 said:

@BeardMaster said:

Cold hard facts tend to be things like sales figures, which in the case of multiplats, generally backs up that PC games dont like buying games.

I am a Hermit, i apparently am cheap, this must be why i own almost 300 games, including a bucket load of DLC?

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By adamosmaki

@BeardMaster said:

@AMD655 said:

@BeardMaster said:

Cold hard facts tend to be things like sales figures, which in the case of multiplats, generally backs up that PC games dont like buying games vs their console counterparts.

and where are your facts ? At least i can give you battlefield 4 stats where pc has more active players than either console ( hence probably sold more ). But again talking out of your a** about facts yet provide no links

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By BeardMaster

@adamosmaki said:

@BeardMaster said:

@AMD655 said:

@BeardMaster said:

and where are your facts ? At least i can give you battlefield 4 stats where pc has more active players than either console ( hence probably sold more ). But again talking out of your a** about facts yet provide no links

Well for new releases like battlefield the console playerbase is heavily segmented at the moment due to the release of next gen consoles. So that makes sense.

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By BeardMaster

@AMD655 said:

@BeardMaster said:

@AMD655 said:

@BeardMaster said:

Cold hard facts tend to be things like sales figures, which in the case of multiplats, generally backs up that PC games dont like buying games.

I am a Hermit, i apparently am cheap, this must be why i own almost 300 games, including a bucket load of DLC?

I never said hermits were cheap, just they generally dont like spending money on software. They certainly are willing to spend lots of money on hardware. If you look at the steam best sellers list its mostly old games in the sub $10 range with the highest priced game being $36.

If you look at the console best sellers list, most games are $60 new releases. Console gamers just are more willing to spend money on software in general than PC gamers.

And it should be implied im speaking in general terms, not talking about every hermit.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-58e448fd89d82

@BeardMaster said:

@AMD655 said:

@BeardMaster said:

@AMD655 said:

@BeardMaster said:

I never said hermits were cheap, just they generally dont like spending money on software. They certainly are willing to spend lots of money on hardware. If you look at the steam best sellers list its mostly old games in the sub $10 range with the highest priced game being $36.

If you look at the console best sellers list, most games are $60 new releases. Console gamers just are more willing to spend money on software in general than PC gamers.

And it should be implied im speaking in general terms, not talking about every hermit.

LOL, there is the old saying, the less you know........

$60 for games that are cheaper on a different platform regardless of platforms superiority or inferiority is proving how much console gamers have no real clue, and it is why games are so expensive on consoles, as the mass market is uneducated people in this certain aspect ( i do not mean less intelligent folk, just people with less head in gaming).

Zelda187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#48 Zelda187
Member since 2005 • 1047 Posts

I never pirate games. Only buy through Steam.

I'm not going to risk getting a virus and fucking up my entire rig just to save a few dollars.

TheFadeForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 TheFadeForever
Member since 2013 • 2655 Posts

@BeardMaster:

Rome 2 total war was nearly 60 dollar and it was top seller on steam for months and a lot game that are recently released for 60 dollars are top seller on steam like AC4 and COD Ghost.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 adamosmaki

@BeardMaster said:

@AMD655 said:

@BeardMaster said:

@AMD655 said:

@BeardMaster said:

Top sellers on steam right now are Rome Total war 2, borderlands 2, Metro LL, Farcry 3, Pay day, Grid 2. Neither of those are old games. In fact when a big AAA game is released ( such as TW2, CoD,Far cry 3 ) is almost always at top of sales on steam ( discounted or not )

Also looking past steam gamersgate more current popular games are dishonored, Xcom enymy unknown, Dark souls. Again mostly new games

So contrary to popular believe pc gamers do like to spend on games and i dont see why anyone hold it against pc gaming for offering games so cheap ( and the reason is not because we are cheap is because on consoles there are costs that are not present on pc hence it allows game companies and DD companies like valve,greenmangaming,gamersgate etc to sell games cheap and make profit )