Why not just officually use Gamerankings for ratings.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Firelore29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Firelore29
Member since 2007 • 4158 Posts

Ok obviously this is Gamespot so the Gamespot rating is the most important rating.  But why can't we just use Gamerankings as the main rating system?  We would simply not use a Gamerankings rating until the Gamespot rating is posted for a particular game.

All the Lemmings are ticked right now because of Crackdown.  This idea is coming from a Sheep.  I don't know anyone who doesn't think that Gamerankings is a great rating system.  When just one person is rating the game there is simply to much room for personal bias.

16bitkevin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 16bitkevin
Member since 2005 • 3962 Posts
I agree. I don't know why SW uses a review of a single person to determine if something is a flop or not.
BillGreen68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 BillGreen68
Member since 2004 • 12361 Posts
:cry: Not again. No, we're using gamespot. I don't care who hyped the freaking game. 
ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts
I agree. I don't know why SW uses a review of a single person to determine if something is a flop or not.16bitkevin
Lazy to send more than one person to aid to play out a game.
-Sora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 -Sora
Member since 2004 • 15152 Posts
I dont care, i got owned because i hyped Crackdown AA, but im still gonna buy it because i thought the demo was great
sdelaney86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6 sdelaney86
Member since 2005 • 4190 Posts
I don't like using GameRankings because different scores mean different things from different sites. Especially when it comes to sites who use a score out of 5 or out of ten, with just integers. For example, a 4 out of 5 from OPM is an 80%, but that means something completely different than an 8.0 on IGN.
Master_Hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 Master_Hermes
Member since 2003 • 5913 Posts

Ok obviously this is Gamespot so the Gamespot rating is the most important rating. But why can't we just use Gamerankings as the main rating system? We would simply not use a Gamerankings rating until the Gamespot rating is posted for a particular game.

All the Lemmings are ticked right now because of Crackdown. This idea is coming from a Sheep. I don't know anyone who doesn't think that Gamerankings is a great rating system. When just one person is rating the game there is simply to much room for personal bias.

Firelore29

I've been saying this for a long time...still, Gamerankings scores initially fluctuate so that will be a problem.
Spartan4001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Spartan4001
Member since 2005 • 1829 Posts
Intelligent people already to use Gamerankings as the true score. To pretend Gamespot's score is the only one that matters is akin to saying President Bush is the only world leader who matters on the international scene.
16bitkevin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 16bitkevin
Intelligent people already to use Gamerankings as the true score. To pretend Gamespot's score is the only one that matters is akin to saying President Bush is the only world leader who matters on the international scene.Spartan4001

Exactly.
sdelaney86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 sdelaney86
Intelligent people already to use Gamerankings as the true score. To pretend Gamespot's score is the only one that matters is akin to saying President Bush is the only world leader who matters on the international scene.Spartan4001
True, but then saying GameRankings is the true score is like saying the rulers of all nations matter equally on the international scene.
Spartan4001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Spartan4001
Member since 2005 • 1829 Posts

[QUOTE="Spartan4001"]Intelligent people already to use Gamerankings as the true score. To pretend Gamespot's score is the only one that matters is akin to saying President Bush is the only world leader who matters on the international scene.sdelaney86
True, but then saying GameRankings is the true score is like saying the rulers of all nations matter equally on the international scene.

Granted, but it's much better than blindly denying the existence of all other information.

KingOfTaco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#12 KingOfTaco
Member since 2007 • 154 Posts
Because Gamerankings sucks. There's absolutely no ground on that site when it comes to comparing games.
enzogt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 enzogt
Member since 2005 • 276 Posts
I agree. There should be an official System Wars vote on this. Just like the vote for hyping games.
sdelaney86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 sdelaney86

[QUOTE="sdelaney86"][QUOTE="Spartan4001"]Intelligent people already to use Gamerankings as the true score. To pretend Gamespot's score is the only one that matters is akin to saying President Bush is the only world leader who matters on the international scene.Spartan4001

Granted, but it's much better than blindly denying the existence of all other information.

blindly denying the existence of information is the foundation of system wars.
palaric8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 palaric8
Member since 2006 • 2246 Posts
bush>7.8
Firelore29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Firelore29

On this site it is.  When a game like Crackdown gets a 7.8 it's a flop.  If it had gotten a 8 it would not have been.  Zelda got an 8.8 if it had gotten a 9 it would not have been.  Warioware got a 9.1 on GS.  It's barely AA on Gamerankings.

All of those games are rated closer to what they really are on Gamerankings.  There are countless examples of that available.

tonemd_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 tonemd_basic
Member since 2003 • 1944 Posts
It's the only score that matters in SW. It's more akin to how no one outside of Maryland cares that our governer is Martin O'malley.
Firelore29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Firelore29

Added a poll.

16bitkevin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 16bitkevin
I just hope no one takes Gamespot's reviews seriously enough to determine whether a game is worth buying or not. I know for a fact that there were some people who decided not to buy TP after it got AA here, even though it got AAA almost everywhere else. The thought of this makes me pretty mad.
Afrikanxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Afrikanxl
Member since 2006 • 1112 Posts
[QUOTE="Spartan4001"]

[QUOTE="sdelaney86"][QUOTE="Spartan4001"]Intelligent people already to use Gamerankings as the true score. To pretend Gamespot's score is the only one that matters is akin to saying President Bush is the only world leader who matters on the international scene.sdelaney86

blindly denying the existence of information is the foundation of system wars.

:lol:   so true yet so sad..... :cry:

I say everyone vote on 5 credible consistent review sources (if there is such a thing) and we create our own GameRanking averages....... and not have to worry about Review sources like Edge and their 4/10 for F1 because its too hard to handle....wa wa....scenarios which can bring down a score on GameRankings......
Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts
But... the bias!
needlesmcgirk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 needlesmcgirk
Member since 2006 • 627 Posts
because its extremely bias and full of lame people that are either trying to screw over a console they don't like or over hype the one that they do. If you want to be fair, just take the most trusted websites and average it out. Like GS, IGN, and whatever else (I only really look at those 2).
KodiakGTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 KodiakGTS
Member since 2003 • 1262 Posts
[QUOTE="Spartan4001"]Intelligent people already to use Gamerankings as the true score. To pretend Gamespot's score is the only one that matters is akin to saying President Bush is the only world leader who matters on the international scene.sdelaney86

Lol, that is a good point I guess, but I'm still sticking with Gamerankings. Many potentially biased scores > one potentially biased score. More of a chance of getting it right.
BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#25 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts
no. First of all, these are the gamespot forums. second, GR uses scores like Nintendo powre, PSM and team xbox. People would complain that biased reviews from these sources raise the scores. 3rd, since the score is an average, it changes quite alot. And by the time it stabalizes, no one cares about the game any more
poopinloop32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 poopinloop32
Member since 2006 • 4949 Posts
why did you add "and this is comming from a sheep?"The Sheep started this whole thing with Zelda..Face it on Gamespot gamespot scores count...but if I want to buy a game ill check Gamerrankings
haris12121212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 haris12121212
Member since 2004 • 7560 Posts
No! GS forums -> GS reviews, wanan use IGN reviews go to IGN forum, wanna use GameRankings review go to GameRankings forums.
BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#28 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

why did you add "and this is comming from a sheep?"The Sheep started this whole thing with Zelda..Face it on Gamespot gamespot scores count...but if I want to buy a game ill check Gamerrankingspoopinloop32
agree 100%

Dualshockin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Dualshockin
Member since 2006 • 7826 Posts
If Crackdown flopping wasnt enough,the Lems thread flops as well :lol:

Laserwolf65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Laserwolf65
Member since 2003 • 6701 Posts
I can't believe that people expect GS to conform to gamerrankings. It's an average people. That means that some scores will be lower and some will be higher. If every site had the same opinion, what would be the point of even looking at reviews?
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Ok obviously this is Gamespot so the Gamespot rating is the most important rating.  But why can't we just use Gamerankings as the main rating system?  We would simply not use a Gamerankings rating until the Gamespot rating is posted for a particular game.

All the Lemmings are ticked right now because of Crackdown.  This idea is coming from a Sheep.  I don't know anyone who doesn't think that Gamerankings is a great rating system.  When just one person is rating the game there is simply to much room for personal bias.

Firelore29

Where were you when the Sheep were getting OWned for Zelda?

No, sorry, isn't going to work.

geist117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 geist117
Member since 2006 • 4419 Posts
Gamespot is only used in SW. Twilight Princess flopped on GS  and Nintendo fans had to deal with it. ONE game hyped by lemmings flops on GS and total damage control erupts. Deal with it lemmings Crackdown didn't even make the low hype so many set it for. Life goes on.
sonicmj1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#33 sonicmj1
Member since 2003 • 9130 Posts
No.

Gamerankings not only shifts over time (bad), but it's always been a sort of tool of last resort. I have no problem if people use it to justify their purchases, but it's not the guidelines for floppage.

When people hype a game on these forums, it's assumed that the score they're hyping it for is the score at Gamespot. Making Gamerankings the official score is a copout that would only be used when a game should really be a flop.
linkhero1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 linkhero1
Member since 2004 • 16489 Posts
You can use it outside of SW but in SW we use GS ratings.
RAZZY_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 RAZZY_B
Member since 2005 • 1709 Posts

i think people shudnt try to claim ownage for another site besides Gamespot, after all we are on gamespot, if gamerankings matters then people shud use gameranking forums.

yea i dont mind it when people cite gameranking or IGN etc. But example GOW2 got 9.7 on IGN, but if it gets a 8 on Gamespot even regardless of the IGN score cows get owned.

Hope ya'll get my drift

reilo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 reilo
Member since 2004 • 1131 Posts
Coming from a sheep? Do you just want GR to be the official score site so that you can claim ownage with Zelda: TP?
Kaarstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Kaarstein
Member since 2006 • 5306 Posts
To stop Lemmings from saying we should use gamerankings instead of Gamespot scores. If we use gamerankings, then: Metroid Prime > Halo Zelda:TP > Gears of War
poopinloop32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 poopinloop32
Member since 2006 • 4949 Posts
To stop Lemmings from saying we should use gamerankings instead of Gamespot scores. If we use gamerankings, then: Metroid Prime > Halo Zelda:TP > Gears of WarKaarstein
A person with a Zelda sig hoping we use Gamerankings as our site?Never seen that before
Kaarstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Kaarstein
Member since 2006 • 5306 Posts
[QUOTE="Kaarstein"]To stop Lemmings from saying we should use gamerankings instead of Gamespot scores. If we use gamerankings, then: Metroid Prime > Halo Zelda:TP > Gears of Warpoopinloop32
A person with a Zelda sig hoping we use Gamerankings as our site?Never seen that before

If you read my message I wanted Lemmings to STOP saying we should use Gamerankings instead of Gamespot
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Dreams-Visions
Member since 2006 • 26578 Posts
Gamerankings.com takes into consideration too many junk reviews and biased reviews. also, the number of reviews vary, which affect the impact each review has on the final scoring. Gamespot or bust, IMO. Or the average of the 3 or 4 most popular gaming sites. OR, people could just play games and not worry about scores at all. novel, eh?
funnymario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 funnymario
Member since 2005 • 9122 Posts
No.

Gamerankings not only shifts over time (bad), but it's always been a sort of tool of last resort. I have no problem if people use it to justify their purchases, but it's not the guidelines for floppage.

When people hype a game on these forums, it's assumed that the score they're hyping it for is the score at Gamespot. Making Gamerankings the official score is a copout that would only be used when a game should really be a flop.
sonicmj1
Exactly. For your own sake, go ahead. But not for ownage in SW.
tegovoltio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 tegovoltio
Member since 2004 • 9280 Posts
No.

sonicmj1
Not only that but GR uses a certain amount of reviews that's gonna use which you can view, and for example a game might have 92% with 10 reviews, when switching to lets say, view it by 20, the score would go up or down.
Game_Addict247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Game_Addict247
Member since 2006 • 1838 Posts

Gamerankings is unreliable and shouldn't be used when comparing games.

1. Biased Sites-Sites like Nintendo Power, OXM, or PSM get counted. These factor in the average and do more than just "alter the score a little".
  2. Hype-A reviewing site is heavily hyped for a game and it gets released. One of two things happens: 1) The site is heavily disappointed and thus rates lower than a site that wasn't hyped, for example. Or 2) Gives the game a high score anyway so they don't feel wrong about their hype.
  3. No. of Reviews-Changes over time. Games like OoT and Soul Calibur had about 30 reviews, while games like RE4 and Halo 2 got about 100? Which games held up their high scores to more reviews?
  4. Standards-This also changes over time. Suppose a game comes out in 1999 and gets a 95% average. Over two years, huge innovations occur and standards skyrocket. Then a game comes out in 2001 and gets a 94% average. Which is truly better? When comparing the overall best game (as you should), standards alone wreck Gamerankings.
  5. Games w/o reviews-Big classics like Chrono Trigger, Super Mario Brothers 3, or Doom don't have reviews/many reviews. How can one factor classics into Gamerankings without them having reviews?
  6. Subjectivity-The reviewers for the sites themselves are biased. Sure it may not be on a huge scale, but anyone has preferences of genres compared to other genres. Nobody likes every genre and every game on the same level. Otherwise, where's the comparison? Anyone claiming that they like everything are probably the most biased. Suppose a reviewer is a big shooter fan? He could approach the game with higher standards or like it more, as opposed to someone who doesn't play many shooters and sees almost every one of them as the penultimate shooter game.
  7. Review Scales-Suppose two sites review a game. Both sites felt the game was exceptional, but not quite perfect enough for a maximum score. One gives a 9/10, which is factored into the average as 90%. Meanwhile the other gives a 4/5, which is factored into the average as 80%. Yet both tried to send the same message across, but with a big score difference. Don't think this kind of thing never happened.