Why it has become cool to hate Spin Off games ?

• 65 results
Avatar image for deactivated-5c56012aaa167
deactivated-5c56012aaa167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#51 deactivated-5c56012aaa167
Member since 2016 • 2538 Posts

Since many of you just say Survive is bad, I need to clarify this:

Survive is a good survival spin off game. It got trashed due to the whole Konami controversy and even the popular youtubers had to only review the first 2-3 hours of the game in order to trash it.(And none of them ever wanted to have fun with that game which is the main issue. They just made their poor reviews for the pleasure of haters.)

These Reviewers completely made misleading videos about Survive and got so many things about the game wrong.

They called it's world empty while it's world had far more things to discover compared to Phantom Pain.(The game they preach because "A Hideo Kojima Game")

They called the combat shallow("Just build a fence and poke zombies that's the way the combat it.") While it's completely wrong. Only the first few hours that tactic is workable after that it completely becomes useless.(And none of the coop matches excluding easy difficulty are beatable by that tactic)

They all bashed the Microtrasactions while MTs were much better executed than Phantom Pain.

etc.

Here is the only review of the game that is actually correct.(From what I've seen since seeing loads and loads of stupid reviews gives me a bad headache)

Loading Video...

Avatar image for blackhairedhero
Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#52 Blackhairedhero
Member since 2018 • 3231 Posts

@dorog1995: I loved MGSV I'm just saying it wasn't finished. He wanted that last mission in the game but it was cut from Konami due to budget constraints.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@dorog1995 said:

Those are not hated because they were "terrible". ever since the first teaser fans hated them.

And Survive was more fun and less empty compared to Phantom Pain.

@ellos said:

Those are just not very good games dude lol. Metal Gear Rising is a good spin off game example.

Rising is pretty overrated. It's a C tired hack'n slash game with one of the worst characters as the main character.(Which is that sissy that wears high heel shoes)

It's story was also pretty bad for a "Canon" MGS game.(Nanomachines son !)

It was just praised because it was cool to like that game and hate DmC Devil May Cry.

THANK YOU.

Rising didn't keep my attention for long, it's also the furthest you could be from a metal gear game.

At least survive had elements from all previous MGS games.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46280 Posts

@dorog1995: Negative youtube videos are very clickbait-y.

I just tend to avoid negative youtube videos when the entire premise is "Avoid X" "Why Y is crap"... etc.

But I guess they must be really popular.

Some gamers just want games to turn out bad, so they ignore all the positivity and just focus on the negative. Just reading a negative review or watching a negative video to reafirm that they were right in thinking a game was crap.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#55 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I didn't hate RE Umbrella Corps until I played the beta. It was then hated because it was shit.

Here's the thing with spinoff titles. They generally aren't treated with the same care, the same level of detail, or even the same gameplay style of the sequels. Resident Evil is a perfect example of this from 1996 to 2009. The only good spinoff RE titles... ever... were the Outbreak games. But when you look at RE 1,2,3, CV, 4 and even 5, they were well polished, fun to play and kept character story arcs intact. When you look at the other spinoff titles such as Survivor, Dead Aim, ORC and beyond... they are basically shit.

sonny2dap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By sonny2dap
Member since 2008 • 2066 Posts

Spin offs always have a weary eye cast on them as there is a good chance the spin off is a cash grab trying to capitalise on the success of the main franchise with little consideration given to anything else, I remember being apprehensive about New vegas as it seemed to follow in the footsteps of fallout 3 very quickly, as it happens it was a much better game than 3, I had a somewhat similar response when Rogue one was announced, again it transpired that the spin off was better than the recent main entry, It is just unfortunate that in recent times the spin off products being released have justified the scepticism with which spin offs are treated by default.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#57 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide said:
@dorog1995 said:

Those are not hated because they were "terrible". ever since the first teaser fans hated them.

@ellos said:

Those are just not very good games dude lol. Metal Gear Rising is a good spin off game example.

Rising is pretty overrated. It's a C tired hack'n slash game with one of the worst characters as the main character.(Which is that sissy that wears high heel shoes)

It was just praised because it was cool to like that game and hate DmC Devil May Cry.

THANK YOU.

Rising didn't keep my attention for long, it's also the furthest you could be from a metal gear game.

I liked very much how Rising readily acknowledged how dumb the shit in Metal Gear Solid is.

The entire thing is treated as wink-wink.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c56012aaa167
deactivated-5c56012aaa167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By deactivated-5c56012aaa167
Member since 2016 • 2538 Posts
@R4gn4r0k said:

@dorog1995: Negative youtube videos are very clickbait-y.

I just tend to avoid negative youtube videos when the entire premise is "Avoid X" "Why Y is crap"... etc.

But I guess they must be really popular.

Some gamers just want games to turn out bad, so they ignore all the positivity and just focus on the negative. Just reading a negative review or watching a negative video to reafirm that they were right in thinking a game was crap.

Yeah. These days the whole "X game didn't just die. It was murdered" videos have become very popular.

I really think that after a while developers won't ever listen to the internet for their games ever again(Maybe they cut them down to moderated official forums) since whatever they make there always will be a group of people that will hate the game and the internet just gives them the loud noise.

@Telekill said:

I didn't hate RE Umbrella Corps until I played the beta. It was then hated because it was shit.

Here's the thing with spinoff titles. They generally aren't treated with the same care, the same level of detail, or even the same gameplay style of the sequels. Resident Evil is a perfect example of this from 1996 to 2009. The only good spinoff RE titles... ever... were the Outbreak games. But when you look at RE 1,2,3, CV, 4 and even 5, they were well polished, fun to play and kept character story arcs intact. When you look at the other spinoff titles such as Survivor, Dead Aim, ORC and beyond... they are basically shit.

I remember from the first trailer(Long before the Beta) it was cool to hate it and even lots of youtubers made reaction videos of it. These days whenever a new spin off gets announced it will receive tons of dislikes and hate from the first trailer.(I remember Fallout 76 was also bashed to death due to the whole "Online Fallout game")

As for RE spin offs.... I personally enjoyed Dead Aim when I realized that I can use a mouse for aiming.(Which then me and my cousin played it together. He shot zombies and monsters , I moved the character. It was so fun we beat it on normal at 4-5 hours and got a S ranking.)

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46280 Posts

@dorog1995: I've been thinking about how disheartening it must be to be a game developer these days, and read nothing but hate and hate and hate on social media and forums and such.

Especially compared to some 20 years ago where game developers were basically Gods and they could do no wrong. When most new games and experiences were met with joy.

Sometimes the hate is so bad that it just feels like echo-chambers going on, people don't want to hear different opinions, they just want to hear their own opinion (how bad a game is) back at them.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@dorog1995 said:

@ellos said:

THANK YOU.

I liked very much how Rising readily acknowledged how dumb the shit in Metal Gear Solid is.

The entire thing is treated as wink-wink.

I'm all for that, even tough I couldn't finish Rising, and the unlocked dash mechanic was not to my liking.

To me acid and survive are better spin offs.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#61 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8470 Posts

Well, MG Rising was awesome and much better than the MGS games Kojima made prior to it.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#62 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

Give us some examples of good spin offs gamers rejected.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#63  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

Hate is the new cool thing for kids to do on internet. 'too many indies....too many remakes...too many multiplayer games....too many walking simulators...too many open world games...too many this...too many that...'.

They are so close minded, that they don't even realise that these days we have 'too many' of everything, which is perfect!

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#64 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5249 Posts

@PAL360 said:

Hate is the new cool thing for kids to do on internet. 'too many indies....too many remakes...too many multiplayer games....too many walking simulators...too many open world games...too many this...too many that...'.

They are so close minded, that they don't even realise that these days we have 'too many' of everything, which is perfect!

The term "hate" is being overused and maybe losing its original meaning.

While there is some good in the Internet's existence, unfortunately it does bring out some of the worst of mankind (e.g. encouraging political/ideological polarization of society).

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

In gaming, seems like the in thing is to hate everything for any reason, we can be spoonfed AAA gold but oh no, has microtransactions or some shit and every YouTuber is out to condemn the shit out of it.