Why is the Gamecube so underappreciated?

• 132 results
PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18797 Posts

@nintendoboy16: @drummerdave9099:

WCW/NWO Revenge alone destroys the majority of that list. And I'm being generous because actually it's better than all those games.

And Nintendoboy, don't judge it how it plays today.

Also Nboy, World is Not Enough was OK, but it ain't messing with GoldenEye.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#102 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41534 Posts

@WitIsWisdom said:

Other than the Wii it was the worst Nintendo console. It had a small handful of great games. A few decent games. and meh after that.

Just those rose colored nostalgia glasses.

Except with GameCube's reception circa 2006, that's hardly true. Sean Malstrom even points it out on several occasions.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

@PSP107 said:

@nintendoboy16: @drummerdave9099:

WCW/NWO Revenge alone destroys the majority of that list. And I'm being generous because actually it's better than all those games.

And Nintendoboy, don't judge it how it plays today.

Also Nboy, World is Not Enough was OK, but it ain't messing with GoldenEye.

Ok troll go away now

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By PSP107

@drummerdave9099:

Revenge is a classic, there's no denying that. You're a troll for denying its greatness.

Oh I forgot, this is system Wars where sports/wrestling games don't exist.

My bad.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

@PSP107 said:

@drummerdave9099:

Revenge is a classic, there's no denying that. You're a troll for denying its greatness.

Oh I forgot, this is system Wars where sports/wrestling games don't exist.

My bad.

N64 had some solid games- like 25 or so. It was my first system- my sisters had their SNES that I played Super Mario World, Link to the Past, and Donkey Kong Country on, but the N64 was really mine. The wrestling games were fun. Not nearly as important as about 15 other games on the platform, but still very fun.

I never said sports and wrestling games don't exist. In fact I love it when people say stuff like "WiiU couldn't even get sports games lol" and then say "Lol annual sports games" to fans of the genre.

But no one N64 game is not better than 40 Gamecube games. That's why I called you a troll.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#106 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:
@WitIsWisdom said:

Other than the Wii it was the worst Nintendo console. It had a small handful of great games. A few decent games. and meh after that.

Except with GameCube's reception circa 2006, that's hardly true. Sean Malstrom even points it out on several occasions.

Perhaps not... However, that is the way I view it. I love and have always loved Nintendo, but I dont hesitate to say that the GC is easily my 1st or 2nd most disliked console of theirs. That is NOT to say it was bad. Its just that the bar was so high to begin with (for me) ;)

The NES? My first mainstream love, and a console I own over half the entire US library of.

SNES? Right up there with the NES, and probably ties or SLIGHTLY wins as best Nintendo console (once again for me.. after this point, this should just be assumed.. lol)

N64? My love for shooters started here, 007 gave me THOUSANDS of hours of gameplay and I STILL play inverted to this day because of it. Vigilante 8.. Kobe Bryant.. Perfect Dark.. etc.

GC? I was looking for a follow up.. I didn't get it. It's not that some of the games weren't great, it just isn't what I was looking for. I feel the GC took a step back in the maturity department (probably all perception, and perhaps I base my dislike for the console on the fact that 007 and Perfect Dark just set way too high of a bar overall).

Wii? Meh.. I bought into it. Love collecting for it. A few good games.. ton of shovelware.. that I LOVE... lol

WiiU? Mario Maker. enough said

Switch? Loving it so far.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#107 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19544 Posts

@WitIsWisdom said:
@nintendoboy16 said:
@WitIsWisdom said:

Perhaps not... However, that is the way I view it. I love and have always loved Nintendo, but I dont hesitate to say that the GC is easily my 1st or 2nd most disliked console of theirs. That is NOT to say it was bad. Its just that the bar was so high to begin with (for me) ;)

The NES? My first mainstream love, and a console I own over half the entire US library of.

SNES? Right up there with the NES, and probably ties or SLIGHTLY wins as best Nintendo console (once again for me.. after this point, this should just be assumed.. lol)

N64? My love for shooters started here, 007 gave me THOUSANDS of hours of gameplay and I STILL play inverted to this day because of it. Vigilante 8.. Kobe Bryant.. Perfect Dark.. etc.

GC? I was looking for a follow up.. I didn't get it. It's not that some of the games weren't great, it just isn't what I was looking for. I feel the GC took a step back in the maturity department (probably all perception, and perhaps I base my dislike for the console on the fact that 007 and Perfect Dark just set way too high of a bar overall).

GameCube had TimeSplitters 2, which was created by the same team behind GoldenEye and Perfect Dark. Also, the GameCube had Metroid Prime 1 & 2, some of the most acclaimed first-person shooters of all time. And beyond first-person shooters, it had Resident Evil 4, one of the most acclaimed third-person shooters of all time, and definitely very "mature". It also had plenty of "mature" games in genres like stealth (e.g. Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes, Splinter Cell series), survival horror (e.g. Resident Evil series, Eternal Darkness), and whatever genre Killer7 belongs to.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

@drummerdave9099 said:

What'd I miss?

I mean there's literally thousands of third party games on the PS2. I guess you could argue GC got mostof the biggest multiplats, but even that is questionable to me.

GC missed the likes of Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid (PS1 port aside), Max Payne series (in fact all Rockstar games), PES series, Guitar Hero series, PC multiplats like Deus Ex, Half Life 1 (PS2) and 2, Fable, Jade Empire, Morrowind, KOTOR 1 and 2, Pirates, (Xbox), plus 3rd party exclusive games like Ace Combat, Dragon Quest, Devil May Cry series, Okami, plus the later installments of top series like Burnout, Timesplitters and Hitman.

I would consider it a good, but rather incomplete 3rd party library. Better than N64, Wii or WiiU ever managed anyway.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By locopatho

@PSP107 said:

"and had better 3rd party than N64."

Nope.

N64 library without the 1st party Nintendo developed and published games is a desperately sad joke.

There's several good shooter games (Turok series, EA Bond, Duke Nukem, Body Harvest, Resi 2), couple of platformers (Rayman 2, Space Station Silicon Valley) and some fun sports/wrestling games. Beyond that there's basically nothing.

No RPGs*, no action/adventure, only fighter is Fighter's Destiny (crap), mediocre racers, bad ports, disastrous attempts at turning 2D gold into 3D series (Castlevania) and aborted attempts at mascot platformers. Ick.

N64's godly (but small) library is Nintendo + Rare + a handful of 3rd party gems. GC library was massively more balanced. I'd take Prince Of Persia Trilogy over the entire N64 3rd party library.

(*They never bothered releasing Ogre Battle 64 in Europe)

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 locopatho

@nintendoboy16 said:

Holy s***! I said something in defense of locopatho of all people.

Whenever you stumble onto the truth, we'll be on the same side ;)

Shine on you crazy diamond!

samfisher56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 samfisher56
Member since 2005 • 772 Posts

n64 was better /thread

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#112 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9729 Posts

@locopatho said:
@PSP107 said:

"and had better 3rd party than N64."

Nope.

N64 library without the 1st party Nintendo developed and published games is a desperately sad joke.

There's several good shooter games (Turok series, EA Bond, Duke Nukem, Body Harvest, Resi 2), couple of platformers (Rayman 2, Space Station Silicon Valley) and some fun sports/wrestling games. Beyond that there's basically nothing.

No RPGs*, no action/adventure, only fighter is Fighter's Destiny (crap), mediocre racers, bad ports, disastrous attempts at turning 2D gold into 3D series (Castlevania) and aborted attempts at mascot platformers. Ick.

N64's godly (but small) library is Nintendo + Rare + a handful of 3rd party gems. GC library was massively more balanced. I'd take Prince Of Persia Trilogy over the entire N64 3rd party library.

(*They never bothered releasing Ogre Battle 64 in Europe)

The N64 had Mortal Kombat Trilogy which was very good and MK4 for fighting games. Fighter's Destiny also had a sequel. Yeah, it didn't have as many good fighting games as the GC.

The only action/adventure games not made by Nintendo or Rare I can think of is Mega Man 64 and Mystical Ninja - Starring Goemon.

The Rush series was quite good and had Road Rash 64, Extreme-G, Ridge Racer 64, and Top Gear Rally for racers. The GC library had way more good 3rd party games.

sayyy-gaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 sayyy-gaa
Member since 2002 • 5850 Posts

TC, the better question: Why is the PS2 so awesome? <---the reason for GC underappreciation.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 locopatho

@GameboyTroy said:

The N64 had Mortal Kombat Trilogy which was very good and MK4 for fighting games. Fighter's Destiny also had a sequel. Yeah, it didn't have as many good fighting games as the GC.

The only action/adventure games not made by Nintendo or Rare I can think of is Mega Man 64 and Mystical Ninja - Starring Goemon.

The Rush series was quite good and had Road Rash 64, Extreme-G, Ridge Racer 64, and Top Gear Rally for racers. The GC library had way more good 3rd party games.

Good shouts, I missed a few. Still wouldn't rate that library without Nintendo/Rare games though. F Zero X over all those racers combined I reckon.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 GameboyTroy

@getyeryayasout said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:

@getyeryayasout: Awesome... but expensive.

A little, but if you want to hook your 'Cube to a modern TV it seems like the best option out there.

Be careful about that HDMI adapter.

Loading Video...

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By PSP107

@locopatho: @GameboyTroy:

But N64 had WCW/NWO Revenge and WWF No Mercy.

Thread.

And loco, Prince of Persia was not exclusive.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 locopatho

@PSP107 said:

Thread.

Soul Calibur II is better.

Exclusive? We're literally talking multiplats here...

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 PSP107

@locopatho:

Wasn't the whole thread about GC being pointless?

So if you already had PS2/360, you Prince of Persia available to you.

The N64 3rd party games I listed were exclusive to the system. Which means if you only had a PS1/Saturn, you couldn't play some of N64 exclusive 3rd party games.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By GameboyTroy

@PSP107 said:

@locopatho: @GameboyTroy:

Thread.

The N64 had great wrestling games. It also had WrestleMania 2000 but WWF No Mercy was obviously better than it. If I recall it also had a WWF game that wasn't made by THQ which was a good game.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 PSP107

@GameboyTroy:

To me, Revenge was the pinnacle of that series. WM 2000 and No Mercy was just WWF's roster replacing WCW's.

N64 had warzone and attitude by Acclaim but we're available on PS1.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 nintendoboy16

@locopatho said:
@nintendoboy16 said:

Holy s***! I said something in defense of locopatho of all people.

Whenever you stumble onto the truth, we'll be on the same side ;)

Shine on you crazy diamond!

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 locopatho

@PSP107 said:

Wasn't the whole thread about GC being pointless?

So if you already had PS2/360, you Prince of Persia available to you.

The N64 3rd party games I listed were exclusive to the system. Which means if you only had a PS1/Saturn, you couldn't play some of N64 exclusive 3rd party games.

Lol. You literally ran away from the point being made (3rd party support) to a completely different and irrelevant one (exclusives)

Saturn? Why the **** would I care what Saturn people "could" play? Ridic, you gotta jog on!

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 Jag85

@locopatho said:
@drummerdave9099 said:

What'd I miss?

I mean there's literally thousands of third party games on the PS2. I guess you could argue GC got mostof the biggest multiplats, but even that is questionable to me.

GC missed the likes of Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid (PS1 port aside), Max Payne series (in fact all Rockstar games), PES series, Guitar Hero series, PC multiplats like Deus Ex, Half Life 1 (PS2) and 2, Fable, Jade Empire, Morrowind, KOTOR 1 and 2, Pirates, (Xbox), plus 3rd party exclusive games like Ace Combat, Dragon Quest, Devil May Cry series, Okami, plus the later installments of top series like Burnout, Timesplitters and Hitman.

Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes was a remake, not a port. Also, GC got Winning Eleven 6, i.e. PES 2, but only in Japan.

ominous_titan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#125  Edited By ominous_titan
Member since 2009 • 1217 Posts

Theres one HUGE BIGLY reason the PS2 was such a juggernaut, it was a video game/DVD player hybrid that was 50-70% cheaper than what a standard plain DVD player was. Millions bought them just for that reason alone

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 locopatho

@Jag85 said:

Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes was a remake, not a port. Also, GC got Winning Eleven 6, i.e. PES 2, but only in Japan.

Whatever. It didn't get new MGS games is the point. Good for the Japanese gamers, they get more games and often sooner than us, but doesn't really help me.

Godly PS2 > great Xbox > good, but last place GC, when it comes to 3rd party, I think.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By Jag85

@locopatho said:

Godly PS2 > great Xbox > good, but last place GC, when it comes to 3rd party, I think.

In terms of third party:

PS2 > GameCube = Xbox

In terms of overall software library:

PS2 > GameCube > Xbox

@Jag85 said:

GameCube vs. Xbox genre comparison:

Action-adventure - GameCube wins

• GameCube - Zelda: Collector's Edition, Wind Waker, Four Swords, Twilight Princess
  • Xbox - Grand Theft Auto trilogy

Fighting - Tie

• GameCube - Soul Calibur II, Super Smash Bros Melee, Naruto: Gekitou Ninja Taisen 3 & 4, Capcom vs SNK 2
  • Xbox - Soul Calibur II, Dead or Alive 3, Dead or Alive Ultimate, Guilty Gear X2, Capcom vs SNK 2

Platformer - GameCube wins

• GameCube - Viewtiful Joe, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, Mario Sunshine, Sonic Adventure 1-2, Sonic Heroes, Monkey Ball 1-2, Prince of Persia trilogy
  • Xbox - Psychonauts, Rayman 3, Sonic Heroes, Prince of Persia trilogy

Racing - Tie

• GameCube - Burnout 1 & 2, Mario Kart: Double Dash, F-Zero GX, SSX Tricky, SSX3, Need for Speed Underground 1 & 2
  • Xbox - Burnout 1-3, SSX Tricky, SSX3, Need for Speed Underground 1 & 2, Project Gotham Racing 1 & 2, Forza Motorsport

RPG - Tie

• GameCube - Tales of Symphonia, Skies of Arcadia Legends, Phantasy Star Online I & II, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, Baten Kaitos
  • Xbox - Fable, Knights of the Old Republic, Morrowind, Phantasy Star Online I & II, Sudeki, Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance

Shooter - Tie

• GameCube - Metroid Prime 1 & 2, TimeSplitters 2, Resident Evil 4, Ikaruga, Rogue Squadron II & III
  • Xbox - Halo 1 & 2, TimeSplitters 2, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Half-Life 2, Doom 3, Chronicles of Riddick, House of the Dead 3

Simulation - GameCube wins

• GameCube - Rogue Squadron II & III, Animal Crossing, The Sims 1 & 2
  • Xbox - Crimson Skies, The Sims 1 & 2, MechAssault 1 & 2

Sports - Xbox wins

• GameCube - Winning Eleven 6, FIFA 2003-07, Mario Power Tennis, SSX Tricky, SSX3, NFL 2K3, Madden NFL 2005
  • Xbox - Winning Eleven 8, FIFA 2003-07, SSX Tricky, SSX3, NFL 2K5, Championship Manager, Madden NFL 2005

Stealth - Xbox wins

• GameCube - Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes, Splinter Cell, Chaos Theory
  • Xbox - Metal Gear Solid 2, Splinter Cell, Chaos Theory

Strategy - GameCube wins

• GameCube - Pikmin 1 & 2, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
  • Xbox - Full Spectrum Warrior, Sid Meier's Pirates

Survival horror - GameCube wins

• GameCube - Resident Evil 0, REmake, RE2, RE3, Code Veronica X, Resident Evil 4, Eternal Darkness
  • Xbox - Silent Hill 2, Silent Hill 4

Overall winner:

GameCube

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 locopatho
@Jag85 said:

In terms of third party:

PS2 > GameCube = Xbox

Just ain't so. Apart from a few Japanese games, Xbox got every 3rd party game GC did AND it's own 3rd party exclusives like Ninja Gaiden and Otogi AND plenty of games with PS2 (Max Payne, GTA, Metal Gear Solid, later Hitman/Burnout/Timesplitters/PES, etc), AND it got a pile of PC/Xbox games like Pirates, Morrowind, KOTOR 1 and 2, Jade Empire, Unreal, Half Life 2.

You're entitled to your own opinion of course but I just don't see it...

(Don't have any interest in arguing overall libraries, I'd guess roughly equal, superior GC 1st party cancelling out superior Xbox 3rd party. But wouldn't be surprised preferring either one over the other.)

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 Jag85

@locopatho:

Like the comparison above shows, it looks like GameCube definitely beats Xbox in terms of overall software library. But in terms of third-party, another comparison:

Action-adventure - GameCube wins

• GameCube - Resident Evil 0-4
  • Xbox - Grand Theft Auto trilogy

Fighting - Xbox wins

• GameCube - Soul Calibur II, Naruto: Gekitou Ninja Taisen 3 & 4, Capcom vs SNK 2
  • Xbox - Soul Calibur II, Dead or Alive 3, Dead or Alive Ultimate, Guilty Gear X2, Capcom vs SNK 2

Platformer - GameCube wins

• GameCube - Viewtiful Joe, Sonic Adventure 1-2, Sonic Heroes, Monkey Ball 1-2, Prince of Persia trilogy
  • Xbox - Psychonauts, Rayman 3, Sonic Heroes, Prince of Persia trilogy

Racing - Tie

• GameCube - Burnout 1 & 2, F-Zero GX, SSX Tricky, SSX3, Need for Speed Underground 1 & 2
  • Xbox - Burnout 1-3, SSX Tricky, SSX3, Need for Speed Underground 1 & 2

RPG - Tie

• GameCube - Tales of Symphonia, Skies of Arcadia Legends, Phantasy Star Online I & II, Baten Kaitos
  • Xbox - Knights of the Old Republic, Morrowind, Phantasy Star Online I & II, Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance

Shooter - Tie

• GameCube - TimeSplitters 2-3, Resident Evil 4, Ikaruga, Rogue Squadron II & III
  • Xbox - TimeSplitters 2-3, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Half-Life 2, Doom 3, Chronicles of Riddick, House of the Dead 3

Simulation - GameCube wins

• GameCube - Rogue Squadron II & III, Animal Crossing, The Sims 1 & 2, Harvest Moon: Magical Melody & A Wonderful Life
  • Xbox - Crimson Skies, The Sims 1 & 2, MechAssault 1 & 2

Sports - Xbox wins

• GameCube - Winning Eleven 6, FIFA 2003-07, SSX Tricky, SSX3, NFL 2K3, Madden NFL 2005
  • Xbox - Winning Eleven 8, FIFA 2003-07, SSX Tricky, SSX3, NFL 2K5, Championship Manager, Madden NFL 2005

Stealth - Xbox wins

• GameCube - Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes, Splinter Cell, Chaos Theory
  • Xbox - Metal Gear Solid 2, Splinter Cell, Chaos Theory

Strategy - Xbox wins

• GameCube - Worms 3D
  • Xbox - Worms 3D, Full Spectrum Warrior, Sid Meier's Pirates

Survival horror - GameCube wins

• GameCube - Resident Evil 0, REmake, RE2, RE3, Code Veronica X, Resident Evil 4, Eternal Darkness
  • Xbox - Silent Hill 2, Silent Hill 4

Overall - Draw

• Ties - 3
  • GameCube wins - 4
  • Xbox wins - 4

In terms of geographic breakdown, GameCube has a clear advantage in Japanese third-party support (along with moderate Western support), while Xbox has a clear advantage in Western third-party support (along with moderate Japanese support), so they both balance each other out in that regard.

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts

Gamecube is overrated.

Only handful of good games in total and Nintendo released like one exclusive a year = Lamecube

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 nintendoboy16

@APiranhaAteMyVa said:

Gamecube is overrated.

Only handful of good games in total and Nintendo released like one exclusive a year = Lamecube

2001 - Pikmin, Melee, Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion, Wave Race: Blue Storm

2002 - Eternal Darkness, Mario Party 4, Metroid Prime, Star Fox Adventures, Super Mario Sunshine

2003 - F-Zero GX, Kirby Air Ride, Zelda: Wind Waker, Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour, Mario Kart: Double Dash, Mario Party 5, Pac Man VS (Namco IP, Nintendo developed), Wario World

2004 - Metroid Prime 2, Pikmin 2, Pokemon Colosseum, Donkey Konga, Mario Party 6, Star Fox Assault, Zelda: Four Swords Adventures

2005 - Donkey Konga 2, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, Mario Party 7, Mario Superstar Baseball, Pokemon XD

2006 - Chibi-Robo, Zelda: Twilight Princess (though did release on Wii earlier)

Yeah, actually DO research before talking crap on the GameCube like that.

Glitch-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 Glitch-
Member since 2016 • 287 Posts

Probably because around that time everybody was more interested in the PS2 and Xbox. I loved my gamecube though.