Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Sagemode87
Member since 2013 • 3416 Posts

I get that it's all the handheld mass market has outside of cellphones but the library is so limited. Literally have a Switch Oled in my Amazon cart now but can't think of anything to buy outside of Mario Odyssey, Party Superstars, and Mario Maker. Would get Tropical Freeze if I didn't already have it on Wii U. This gen, Nintendo just isn't held to the same standards as the other two when it comes to making a steady library of good games.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

The Nintendo brand is popular and recognized worldwide. Nintendo games have a wide range of appeal and generally reach to wide demographics. Being a "secondary console" is not a bad gig, because that almost guarantees gamer's will buy one at some point alongside their preferred platform.

The toughest fact core gamer's struggle to come to terms with is just how out-of-touch they are with the majority of the gaming population. The vast majority of the gaming population are less concerned about having the most powerful system in the market and bragging about it as much as they're concerned to simply have an accessible system that caters to fun.

Does that mean the Switch will appeal to everyone, particularly core gamer's that enjoy power and specs? No. But those people are in the minority here.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts
@Sagemode87 said:

I get that it's all the handheld mass market has outside of cellphones but the library is so limited. Literally have a Switch Oled in my Amazon cart now but can't think of anything to buy outside of Mario Odyssey, Party Superstars, and Mario Maker. Would get Tropical Freeze if I didn't already have it on Wii U. This gen, Nintendo just isn't held to the same standards as the other two when it comes to making a steady library of good games.

Going by Metacritic, the Switch has the highest ammount of 8.0+ scoring games per year.

As for switch exclusives.

1. Animal Crossing
  2. Bowser's Fury
  3. SSBU
  4. Kirby
  5. Pokemon Legends
  6. Fire Emblem Three Houses
  7. Metroid Dread
  8. Luigi's Mansion 3
  9. Splatoon 2
  10. Origami King was surprisingly good
  11. Ring Fit Adventure
  12. Mario XCOM
  13. Cadence of Hyrule
  14. Triangle Strategy
  15. Shin Megami Tensei 5

On the top of my head. Not mentioning Wii U ports or games you already mentioned.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 jaydan

@Maroxad: Mario XCOM lmao

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Sagemode87

@Maroxad: I forgot about Luigis mansion 3. I see the appeal with some of its exclusives its just that there's not enough to pad out the lack of good 3rd party games. Probably would help if I think of it as a secondary system.

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Sagemode87

@jaydan: with the price so low, you'd think everyone would have one by now. Switch Lite is only 200 bucks for crying out loud lol. In your opinion should I bother with a Switch Oled or just wait for new hardware. I'd imagine a Switch 2 would be backwards compatible. I waited this long, may as well keep waiting?

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jaydan

@Sagemode87: When you think about it, there's way more people on this planet that will never own a gaming machine than people that own them. Nintendo made a priority in attracting entirely new demographics to the gaming world during the Wii era, and they were very successful at bringing new people into the market. Nintendo still keeps new consumers on mind as well with the Switch, but also appeal to core gamer's as well.

Another point is the fact the Switch is a handheld. Growing up I know just how handhelds roll. Many gamer's will end up owning more than one handheld device before the end of its lifespan.

Somehow I ended up with 4 Gameboy's, 3 GBA's, 3 DS's and 2 3DS's by the end of their respective lifespans; and I know this is not at all an uncommon trajectory that a single consumer will end up owning 2+ of the same family of systems by the end of its lifespan.

I actually only own the launch Switch, so I can't give a personal say on the Oled model. But if it's going to be your first time buying one, I think it's a no-brainer to go with the Oled.

Djoffer123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Djoffer123
Member since 2016 • 2251 Posts

@Sagemode87: taking a dig at the library of switch in 2022?? Are you serious right now?? I don’t use my switch much, but come on it have a shitload more exclusive than ps5/Xbox even counting the games that are available on pc…

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20104 Posts

@Sagemode87: It's cheap, it's mobile, it has a good library, and it's highly available.

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 296

#11 Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2949 Posts

It does make a good secondary system as it's library is quite different from the other 2 or 3 if you include PC.

There are several games in it's library that are just exclusive, plain and simple. Not saying I wouldn't like to see some of these games on other platforms but if you consider how many of these quality games are exclusive to switch, it ultimately makes sense to buy one.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts

Because a lot of people find it’s library of games more appealing then you do. 🤷‍♂️

Personally I think there’s a ton of excellent games on the system myself, way more then the paltry few that you seem to like. It never ceases to amuse me that some people just can’t get past the fact that people can like games that they don’t.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

There are lots of good games you can’t get anywhere else. It’s that simple. Some of the top exclusives like Pokémon, Mario and Animal Crossing sell like 20+ million.

It’s a good secondary console for me. Outside of the obvious Nintendo stuff, I play things like Monster Hunter Generations and Rise, SMT V, Astral Chain and Triangle Strategy.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3479 Posts

Exclusives

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15 MysticalDonut
Member since 2021 • 2504 Posts

Switch is the usual Nintendo offerings plus a good portion of its library is Wii U ports. Anyone who owned a Wii U and enjoyed all of its good games is going to feel a little shafted buying the Switch.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8470 Posts

Of course, to make you cows b*tthurt.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#17 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts

Because it's a great multiplayer and family oriented system, and most importantly, has a lot of fun games to play.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

Because it pleases people that have never held a controller in their life. Also the best system to occupy mom's 9yo. Add in a massive amount of nostalgic millennials, and we have a yuuuuge success on our hands.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

Mix of affordability, and they haven't be hindered by production and supply issues. For gaming the Xbox and PlayStation consoles pretty much have redundant libraries minus their own exclusives, owning one of those gives less reason to get the other but Switch makes a great supplemental devices to fill other gaming needs. Typically with Nintendo devices their first party IPs are the main draw and there is no substitute.

I think the hybrid design was a game changer for Nintendo because when they tried juggling separate console and handheld devices they couldn't support each equally. Now all their games are available to a much larger audience, they can keep up with timely releases, and I really think this will help prolong the life cycle of the Switch on the current gaming market.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#20 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41533 Posts

What, you think it should be a crime because "it's not powerful as PS/Xbox" and "Steam Deck was supposed to kill it"?

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#21 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41533 Posts
@mysticaldonut said:

Switch is the usual Nintendo offerings plus a good portion of its library is Wii U ports. Anyone who owned a Wii U and enjoyed all of its good games is going to feel a little shafted buying the Switch.

Given the Wii U missed a large chunk of third party support, as in larger than normal for Nintendo, that is not me.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7270 Posts
@jaydan said:

The toughest fact core gamer's struggle to come to terms with is just how out-of-touch they are with the majority of the gaming population. The vast majority of the gaming population are less concerned about having the most powerful system in the market and bragging about it as much as they're concerned to simply have an accessible system that caters to fun.

So much this.

Casuals are a HUGE chunk of the market. There are a bunch of people out there who will buy a Switch because they can travel with it, and they can still use it while the rest of their family watches TV. They will get a handful of Mario spinoff games and a couple big hit indies like Stardew Valley and Among Us, and they will play just those games every now and then over the next few years. And they will be completely satisfied with their purchase.

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ermacness
Member since 2005 • 10613 Posts

@pc_rocks said:

Cows are living in your head rent free?

ZeroTheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ZeroTheHero
Member since 2021 • 1391 Posts

Its a great system thats why its doing so well still

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 MysticalDonut
Member since 2021 • 2504 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:
@mysticaldonut said:

Given the Wii U missed a large chunk of third party support, as in larger than normal for Nintendo, that is not me.

I only really buy first party games on Nintendo hardware

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#27 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12303 Posts

Evergreen titles and, indies.

Go buy Mario Strikers or Kirby or Switch Sports or Pokémon Legends if you want newer content.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8470 Posts

@ermacness said:
@pc_rocks said:

Meh...that was a comeback? Try again!

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7233 Posts

I must admit to being sceptical of the switch when it was revealed. I never saw it selling the way it has but I think the library plays a huge part of the success.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 outworld222  Online
Member since 2004 • 4224 Posts

A lot of casuals. Not everybody’s a gamer in the “classic” sense.

kejigoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#31 kejigoto
Member since 2004 • 2735 Posts

The vocal minority doesn't represent the buying majority.

Switch has hit the sweet spot of price vs performance vs portability vs support and it speaks to the mass market worldwide. It may not do everything or have the fanciest graphics but it was never marketed as such and the average consumer doesn't overly care when they can load up a number of games and bring it easily with them anywhere.

Great system for kids too as it doesn't need a dedicated TV and can be played anywhere becomes a huge perk even if you don't leave the house.

Not to mention how many people are just fine having it was a secondary system for when they are away from their main setup and before any of you "but what about the Steam Deck!" First off let me know when I can buy it cause I've been waiting for some time now and secondly you tend to forget the Switch has been out since March 2017, has a bunch of games not on Steam Deck, and doesn't require work arounds, driver updates, compatibility issues, or anything like that to contend with which will turn a lot of people off from the experience. Ease of use cannot be underestimated.

Nintendo's brand recognition is insane and their games not only hold their value long term but can easily appeal to the core and casual market alike. They are fine playing to niche markets too and going out of their way to do it. The same company that develops and publishes Super Mario Bros. also develops and publishes Animal Crossing as well as something Like Xenoblade Chronicles 3.

And lastly Nintendo hasn't conditioned their audience to want the biggest and best when it comes to graphics. Since the Gamecube Nintendo has had no issues looking at the latest trends in hardware creep and go "nah here's standard def with component cables instead." So when Nintendo doesn't measure up to what Sony and Microsoft do most fans simply don't care cause the next Breath of the Wild looks great as does the rest of what Nintendo offers. Because of this third party releases feel like extra bonuses instead of releases you expect.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 hardwenzen  Online

The real reason is that Nintendo is farming the handheld and console market all at once.

strategyfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#33  Edited By strategyfn
Member since 2012 • 1176 Posts

It is a good, weak air conditioning having , disaster having console. And it is available.

Personaly I think Mario Odyssey sucked along with Mario Kart 8. But it does have a few games I can enjoy. I only bought a Switch because I couldn’t find a PS5 six months after PS5 release. I had extra money and wanted a new console.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#34 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34602 Posts
@Maroxad said:
  1. Origami King was surprisingly good

For reals? I heard some stuff that cemented my worries, but I really want a new PM to play. Really didn't like the look of the battle system and stuff. Also very annoyed by how PM now no longer can contain original characters.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

@Litchie said:
@Maroxad said:
  1. Origami King was surprisingly good

For reals? I heard some stuff that cemented my worries, but I really want a new PM to play. Really didn't like the look of the battle system and stuff. Also very annoyed by how PM now no longer can contain original characters.

The battle system sucks, I will agree with that.

However, the game might as well have been written by Video Game Dunkey. And that is something I would sign up for! Not as good as the first 2, but still after so many weak games, it is ncie they finally made something decent again.

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ermacness
Member since 2005 • 10613 Posts

@pc_rocks said:
@ermacness said:
@pc_rocks said:

Meh...that was a comeback? Try again!

1. No, it was a question, hence the question mark.

2. Like I need to waste any time on a comeback on someone like you, especially one who can’t tell a question from a comeback!

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#37 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7201 Posts

If you just play dudebro games, it’s not for you. But if you love fun games, it’s best system ever made. That’s why it’s the best selling system ever known to mankind.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 6865 Posts

Exclusives!

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

Lol... if you're struggling to find something good to play on Switch, you're not looking hard enough. Or are just a troll.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 hardwenzen  Online

@hrt_rulz01 said:

Lol... if you're struggling to find something good to play on Switch, you're not looking hard enough. Or are just a troll.

What a troll post, dude.

Not everyone enjoys collecting stars and jump on mushrooms. We're not in 1981.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Mesome713

@hardwenzen: 130million people do. Not everyone likes to pew pew shat all day with no innovation since the early 90s.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 hardwenzen  Online

@mesome713 said:

@hardwenzen: 130million people do. Not everyone likes to pew pew shat all day with no innovation since the early 90s.

Good thing real consoles offer massive variety of genres, not just simple platformers like we were still during the N64 days.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Mesome713

@hardwenzen: All they got is boring dude bro games. Just look at you, you played 1 game this year cause nothing else is any good. It’s a trash system with trash dude bro games.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 hardwenzen  Online

@mesome713 said:

@hardwenzen: All they got is boring dude bro games. Just look at you, you played 1 game this year cause nothing else is any good. It’s a trash system with trash dude bro games.

Dudebro games is all you see because you're a dudebro with a Switch🥴

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Mesome713

@hardwenzen: Sounds like something a dudebro would say.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 hardwenzen  Online

@mesome713 said:

@hardwenzen: Sounds like something a dudebro would say.

Then stop saying it? Enough is enough.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Mesome713

@hardwenzen: Not until the whole world knows what a crappy dudebro PS5 console it is. Just look at PS5s top selling games, dudebro games.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

Just going by game ratings, switch has been pumping out bangers like crazy every year. 8+ games. Compare that to the ps5 and it's legendary drought, it was so bad they had 220 posts in a cat game thread, let that sink in for a minute.

Lavamelon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Lavamelon
Member since 2016 • 849 Posts

Switch is good for portable gaming. You may ask “but why buy a Switch if you already have a smartphone”, to that my answer is “mobile gaming is good if you enjoy ad-filled pay-to-win games that constantly hound you to buy gem packs and loot boxes for loads of money”. I used to be a mobile gamer but stopped. Nowadays I only use my phone to surf the net and watch YouTube videos, everything else is done on my PC or consoles.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 hardwenzen  Online

@mesome713 said:

@hardwenzen: Not until the whole world knows what a crappy dudebro PS5 console it is. Just look at PS5s top selling games, dudebro games.

You were forced to buy an X, the system with the highest amount of dudebros playing CoD. How does that make you feel?