DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 DrLostRib
Member since 2017 • 5931 Posts

As we all know, Playstation is the undeniable console leader right now, but why is PSN still so bad.

We all know the obvious gripes that remain unaddressed: The outages, slow download speeds, and why in the world can't people change their usernames

But even using the PSN store is a pain in the ass. It was a slide show on PS3, but even on PS4 it still seems to lag scrolling through to sidebar. Not to mention just the amount of shit you have to scroll through

Also, searching the store is a pain. Who thought of this:

God forbid you want to find Zero Time Dilemma.

Even simple filters are messed up. If you want to sort the deals by price, it doesn't sort by the games current price, but rather their original prices. Same if you want to limit it by price range

And then on the App side, why is the TV/Video section such a clusterfuck. Why do i need to scroll through over 9000 ads to just watch youtube? Even ads for services i already use

Not to mention the ads they stick on the main menu scroll for no reason, keep that in the "what's new"
tab that I already don't read.

For being such a successful console, why can't Sony get their PSN service and UI up to snuff?

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

The thing I find weird about the search is that it doesn't take advantage of the touchpad typing... that actually works nicely and is a built in feature of some menus... Why not the store?

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#3 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

I really have no idea.... You'd think after 10 years they would have improved it.... It's terrible though.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61481 Posts

That fucking search has been the bane of my existence. Someone got really drunk and thought, hey, let's make the shittiest search UI.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DrLostRib

@xantufrog said:

The thing I find weird about the search is that it doesn't take advantage of the touchpad typing... that actually works nicely and is a built in feature of some menus... Why not the store?

yeah i forgot to add that. Store should have a keyboard for search, and let you use the fancy touchpad they put in the controller

Celsius765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Celsius765
Member since 2005 • 2417 Posts

Probably because it hasn't evolved much over the years. I've only owned a 360 as far as xbox is concerned but i know it has gone through multiple ui changes. At the very least ps store isn't as stuttery, freezy, and crashy as it was on ps3. I do gotta wonder if i can do searches with the qwerty keyboard i saw whil browsing i believe it was bestbuy ot gamestop's website

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

It's shit because the main base doesn't care. Read this forum. Back in April, Phil Spencer was quoted saying SPgames don't have the same impact in the industry as they used to for a developer. The gaming community instantly took that as "Xbox doesn't like SP games".on this forum the PS fanboys made a vocal point of preferring SP games and mp is a side thought. Why waste revenue as a corporation, putting it into PSN if their base doesn't give a shit? As long as it has great sp games, and I certainly enjoy some but you can keep that Persona 5 and other weeb shit, they are happy.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56094 Posts

Never notice it was that bad. All I do is, turn it on, select the game I want to play & play it! That's it.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By lundy86_4

@eliminatorpaige said:

The switch is bad, psn is fine. You are just a mad lemming.

TC pretty clearly listed why it wasn't "fine." Still, you do you.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DrLostRib

@eliminatorpaige said:

lol

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

The store is definitely better than ps3, though. That shit's unusable.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DrLostRib

@eliminatorpaige said:

@drlostrib: Thanks for proving my point.

you had a point?

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DrLostRib

@xantufrog said:

The store is definitely better than ps3, though. That shit's unusable.

I've seen powerpoints that transitioned faster. Apparently even the power of teh cell couldn't make PSN run well

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DrLostRib

@eliminatorpaige said:

@drlostrib: If you had a brain you would have caught it. Stop fanboy.

so it's not possible to have legitimate criticisms of a system without people throwing out insults?

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#19 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

I can't comment on that as I don't own a PS4, but I'm not surprised to hear this. XBL also has some weird design choices here and there. I think it ultimately comes down to prioritizing work, in other words it runs well enough for what it needs to do and they have other more important things to look at, and I guess not enough people complain about it.

With these large corporations you have teams assigned to projects often, once the project is done you move onto another task. You can't just go "oh look, lets spend another month polishing this thing I think it could function better" ....I wish it was like that, I wish the UI was perfect and on Xbox I'm largely satisfied but there are decisions that baffled me in the past, that's just how these things go. At least I rarely run into issues playing online or offline, that is more important to me overall.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 lundy86_4

Did Paige just jump into that other thread, just so he could further tie his knickers in a knot? Ha.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DrLostRib

@lundy86_4 said:

Did Paige just jump into that other thread, just so he could further tie his knickers in a knot? Ha.

yeah, he's trying to call me out for the filthy lemming that i am

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 lundy86_4

@drlostrib said:
@lundy86_4 said:

yeah, he's trying to call me out for the filthy lemming that i am

Yer a dirty rat, son!

Celsius765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Celsius765
Member since 2005 • 2417 Posts

@cainetao11: if you are gonna say weeb atleast use it correctly. Anime is only one aspect of hapanese entertainment. If you're not obsessed with their culture and only watch anime you're not a weebs. Maybe you haven't seen a true weeb mixing japanese into their english, having ill informed ideas of what hapan is like, or treating their culture as a costume.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 cainetao11

@eliminatorpaige: I see. So I am a racist because you have concluded what racists say and that must be fact. You're an invalid.

PinkAnimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By PinkAnimal
Member since 2017 • 2380 Posts

I agree the system is clunky but lately I've been noticing how lousy many interfaces for user interaction are. I am used to linux so I'm used to very minimalistic interaction but that works very efficiently so whenever I go to Windows 10 and try to use the search bar I think the thing works like crap and makes everything more complicated than it should be and not very efficient at all, also everything is mixed and simply a mess. Most console interfaces have the same problem, slow, inefficient, looking for things is unnecessarily difficult. My Android phone is ok I guess, it's simple and straightforward. I never use Apple computers so I'm not sure how they are though. But anyways, I really try to minimize my interaction with graphical interfaces nowadays, it seems to me they are becoming less efficient and more cluttered with useless crap. Give me a linux terminal or a minimalistic graphical interface that works fast and I'm happy.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

The only thing I hate is the search. Who thought of that shit!

HitmanActual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 HitmanActual
Member since 2013 • 1351 Posts

I actually prefer the PSN store to the XBL one. XBL store is a true cluster ****.

As for downloads I don't ever have much issue. PSN and XBL seem to be on par with speeds, for me anyway.

I don't play online games much so I can't really give a comparison.

So yeah, regardless of your opinion, it's pretty fine for me.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 cainetao11

@Celsius765: I grew up enjoying sports games and shooters. I'm labeled a "dudebro" gamer and it isn't a compliment. I'm generally considered less refined or intelligent by other types of gamers because I don't like turn based jrpgs and the like. It doesn't bother me. I get a laugh out of it. I throw the term weeb around like they do with dudebro. Why so sensitive?

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#29 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@drlostrib:

That's true but it's not like it's impossible to find what you're looking for when you know what it is. Still, if we could have Xbox Live's UI for PSN, I'd be soooo happy!

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

I just don't think that Sony makes online gaming as big of a priority as Microsoft and I don't think that Playstation fans in general value a high quality online gaming experience as much as Xbox fans either.

Playstation fans in general seem to care more about single player experiences and thus that is what Sony primarily focuses on delivering. Xbox fans, on the other hand, really love playing online multiplayer games and the online social experience as well.

I think that Microsoft built a big part of their fanbase with Xbox Live and Xbox Live being the gold standard for online gaming is one of the biggest reasons why many people continue to support the Xbox brand (it definitely is for my friends and I). So, since it is one of the biggest selling points for the Xbox brand, Microsoft makes the service a big priority, whereas Playstation fans in general don't care as much about online gaming so therefore Sony doesn't make it as big of a priority.

PinkAnimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 PinkAnimal

@cainetao11 said:

It's shit because the main base doesn't care. Read this forum. Back in April, Phil Spencer was quoted saying SPgames don't have the same impact in the industry as they used to for a developer. The gaming community instantly took that as "Xbox doesn't like SP games".on this forum the PS fanboys made a vocal point of preferring SP games and mp is a side thought. Why waste revenue as a corporation, putting it into PSN if their base doesn't give a shit? As long as it has great sp games, and I certainly enjoy some but you can keep that Persona 5 and other weeb shit, they are happy.

Lol the Xbox UI is shit too and don't get me started with the Windows Store which is considered a complete joke. So, if your conclusion is that PSN's UI is shit because the "main base doesn't give a shit" I guess the same is true for the Xbox.

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ermacness
Member since 2005 • 10613 Posts

@lundy86_4 said:
@eliminatorpaige said:

TC pretty clearly listed why it wasn't "fine." Still, you do you.

All he listed was opinions. He's not wrong in his own right, but he's not right in mines.

1st of all, I find the search option for the psn store rather quick for me. It gets me what I want really quick, and in most cases (if not all) answers questions really quick for me.

2ndly, I currently don't own a x1, but from what I remember (unless they did a MAJOR overhaul of the UI, in which I highly doubt that happened) the psn UI was FAR more simpler than the x1, in my opinion. The x1 UI was a cluster catastrophe with it's bloat ware ads, and was FAR slower than the psn's.

3rdly, You can put your most used apps on the home page of the psn if you wish. It doesn't have to remain in the "apps" part of your menu. So, YouTube, Netflix, and other apps can be access rather quickly if you need them to.

Finally, again unless the x1 had an update that address this highly irritable issue (for me at least), don't even get me started on how you have to redeem codes on the Microsoft Windows web page. Unless they fix this, to me, x1 fans can't even begin to complain about how bad the psn is.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 cainetao11

@pinkanimal: Lol seems getting you started is my specialty lol. But I know, I'm the one that's crying, sure.

I answered the OP. I never claimed any ui was superior to the other.

PinkAnimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 PinkAnimal

@cainetao11 said:

@pinkanimal: Lol seems getting you started is my specialty lol. But I know, I'm the one that's crying, sure.

I answered the OP. I never claimed any ui was superior to the other.

So you apply the same logic to the Xbox and Windows Store UI being shit? Because the main base doesn't care about it? Or are you going to be hypocrite here too?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#35 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Because people paid for it encouraging Sony not to improve it.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 SOedipus  Online
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

@eliminatorpaige said:

Lemmings are the worst.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 DrLostRib

@ermacness said:

Finally, again unless the x1 had an update that address this highly irritable issue (for me at least), don't even get me started on how you have to redeem codes on the Microsoft Windows web page. Unless they fix this, to me, x1 fans can't even begin to complain about how bad the psn is.

Sweet so I can still complain

@ermacness said:

2ndly, I currently don't own a x1, but from what I remember (unless they did a MAJOR overhaul of the UI, in which I highly doubt that happened) the psn UI was FAR more simpler than the x1, in my opinion. The x1 UI was a cluster catastrophe with it's bloat ware ads, and was FAR slower than the psn's.

3rdly, You can put your most used apps on the home page of the psn if you wish. It doesn't have to remain in the "apps" part of your menu. So, YouTube, Netflix, and other apps can be access rather quickly if you need them to.

The PSN store is pretty bloated with ads as you scroll through. Where is this option to add Netflix to the Main PS4 ribbon?

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ermacness

@drlostrib said:
@ermacness said:

@ermacness said:

The PSN store is pretty bloated with ads as you scroll through. Where is this option to add Netflix to the Main PS4 ribbon?

1. All you do is make pro xb/anti ps threads. You just had a thread trying to discredit the high advantage that the ps4 have over the x1 in exclusives currently because GS have no mate game anymore, and now this. I can see right through you lemming, so with that said, I don't believe that the x1 had a update that completely overhauled the ui, and if they didn't then that means that the x1 ui is still a ad centric mess that it was earlier this year.

2. I'll check on my ps4 to see if you can do it, but I'm pretty certain that you could. If you can't, I'll admit my mistake.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DrLostRib

@ermacness said:
@drlostrib said:
@ermacness said:

@ermacness said:

1. All you do is make pro xb/anti ps threads. You just had a thread trying to discredit the high advantage that the ps4 have over the x1 in exclusives currently because GS have no mate game anymore, and now this. I can see right through you lemming, so with that said, I don't believe that the x1 had a update that completely overhauled the ui, and if they didn't then that means that the x1 ui is still a ad centric mess that it was earlier this year.

So if someone brings up legitimate criticism of a system, then they must be a fanboy?

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 cainetao11

@pinkanimal: Well to explain, I have no problem with either UI. Windows store, Xbox, PlayStation. Seem pretty simple to use for me. Of course they can be improved I suppose.

I was answering more in terms of PSN not being as stable as Live from my experience. I've never had as many issues with live as I have had with PSN. And since it seems the base may prefer sp games which don't really require as stable a network as Live, why should Sony put money into it?

Are you mad at me? You seem aggressive from hurt feelings.

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ermacness

@drlostrib said:
@ermacness said:
@drlostrib said:
@ermacness said:

@ermacness said:

So if someone brings up legitimate criticism of a system, then they must be a fanboy?

Actually, no, but if all you can do is criticize a "particular" system, then that's where things start to look suspect, especially when you're trying to generalize YOUR opinion as fact. How can this question be legitimate to someone who doesn't share the same outlook as you?

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

Is PSN really that bad? I have had more issues with my IP and even that is really rare.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By DrLostRib

@ermacness said:
@drlostrib said:
@ermacness said:
@drlostrib said:

Actually, no, but if all you can do is criticize a "particular" system, then that's where things start to look suspect, especially when you're trying to generalize YOUR opinion as fact. How can this question be legitimate to someone who doesn't share the same outlook as you?

Or it's better to still be critical of a leading system and point out where it can improve rather than just fanboy circle jerking about it

PinkAnimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 PinkAnimal

@cainetao11: ok but then it's weird that you answered with that since the OP was about the UI. But anyways your experience might differ greatly from others, I thought that was your mantra... PSN is pretty equivalent to Live in features and quality, I don't think MS invests much more into it than Sony.

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ermacness

@drlostrib said:
@ermacness said:
@drlostrib said:
@ermacness said:
@drlostrib said:

Or it's better to still be critical of a leading system and point out where they can improve rather than just fanboy circle jerking about it

AGAIN!!!!! I ask you: How can they improve on something that not EVERYONE sees as a problem? I don't see how the psn currently is a problem. The only (and I mean the ONLY) way they can "improve slightly" is by allowing you to change psn usernames. Now, as for as your other complaints, they're irrelevant/invalid to me because I don't share your opinion on these allegations. Stop trying to pass off your OPINION as FACT.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 cainetao11

@eliminatorpaige: Beg all you want, I'm not teaching you to read, kid

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 ermacness

@foxhound_fox said:

Because people paid for it encouraging Sony not to improve it.

Like the psn haven't seen improvements from 2013 till now. Fanboy harder next time.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 cainetao11

@pinkanimal: My mantra? I shared my experience and an opinion. At what point have I stated you or anyone else cannot? You really jump to conclusions don't you? Do you own an X1?

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 DrLostRib

@ermacness said:
@drlostrib said:
@ermacness said:
@drlostrib said:

Or it's better to still be critical of a leading system and point out where they can improve rather than just fanboy circle jerking about it

AGAIN!!!!! I ask you: How can they improve on something that not EVERYONE sees as a problem? I don't see how the psn currently is a problem. The only (and I mean the ONLY) way they can "improve slightly" is by allowing you to change psn usernames. Now, as for as your other complaints, they're irrelevant/invalid to me because I don't share your opinion on these allegations. Stop trying to pass off your OPINION as FACT.

I just think it's troublesome that you try to shrug off these issues because you think they're from an xbox fanboy