Why is Microsoft making such a big deal of the Xbox One X?

• 80 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

With the way they're promoting it you'd think it's a next-gen console when it's simply a mid-gen upgrade that isn't even that powerful to begin with. It's still stuck with a garbage-tier CPU. Sony with the Pro was a lot more quiet and although the Pro is kind of polarizing to say the least, it still did reasonably well and can be considered a success with Sony reporting nearly 1 in 5 PS4 sold was a Pro back in June.

What's worse? The segment the console is targeted to is way smaller than the overall market. Mostly people with 4K TV's and without an Xbox One or S will be interested in that.

So I'm asking, why is Microsoft seemingly banking so much on the Xbox One X when it's unlikely it'll do much better than the PS4 Pro or that there still aren't that many huge exclusives to drive it?

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#2 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

There not, they have already said it is not going to sell loads

rrjim1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 rrjim1
Member since 2005 • 1983 Posts

IMO the Pro wasn't worth a purchase, it wasn't enough of a step ahead of the PS4. The Xbox One X is a big step ahead of the Xbox One making it worth a purchase. I must not be alone because Amazon.com sold out in just a few hours.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46280 Posts

Because of these mid gen upgrades we don't need next gen consoles right away. PS4 Pro and Xbox One X are powerful enough.

It's also good for PC gamers so developers don't need to hold back for the weakest consoles i.e. launch PS4s and Xbones

Honestly, it's a good thing all around.

PinkAnimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 PinkAnimal
Member since 2017 • 2380 Posts

Microsoft needs good publicity desperately. Remember at E3 when they were calling every game exclusive even though they were not even console exclusives? That's what desperation looks like, they are trying to lure as many uninformed people as possible. I think MS is leaving the console industry in second place in favor of a more service-focused strategy so they don't care that much about the console anymore but the Xbox name has suffered this gen due to their incompetence and they know the bad publicity could affect them beyond the console so they're trying to hype it as much as possible. I still don't know anyone personally with a Xbox One or that even plan on getting a 1X here though so, at least the publicity is mostly getting to people inside the US I guess.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44061 Posts

By late next year the old saying; selling like hotcakes, will be replaced with selling like Mighty X1X's. lol

There, hope you feel better now since I know your really concerned and pulling for MS/Xbox. :P

PinkAnimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 PinkAnimal

@rrjim1 said:

IMO the Pro wasn't worth a purchase, it wasn't enough of a step ahead of the PS4. The Xbox One X is a big step ahead of the Xbox One making it worth a purchase. I must not be alone because Amazon.com sold out in just a few hours.

The people that thought the Pro was worthy were also not alone by your own logic http://pureplaystation.com/amazon-uk-ps4-pro-sold-out-in-uk-no-more-stock-until-2017/2016/11/

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56095 Posts

While MS has already stated Xbox One X isn't gonna set the world on fire, this is an optional upgrade from the original Xbox One. This upgrade is really aiming to sell more 4KTV for the most parts and MS already confirm their working on a next-gen console as it is.

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

@SecretPolice said:

By late next year the old saying; selling like hotcakes, will be replaced with selling like Mighty X1X's. lol

There, hope you feel better now since I know your really concerned and pulling for MS/Xbox. :P

You've pretty much have been saying that for the last 4 years, and still hasn't came to light. I guess you'll be waiting for the next 4 years with the x1x to sell like hotcakes lol. Keep dreaming secret police, Keep dreaming thats all you can do with the floptastic known as the xb1 and now xb1x.

Tigerbalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Tigerbalm
Member since 2017 • 1118 Posts

DOA after 6 months. Remember the phrase selling like shit, it be replaced with selling X1X.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#12 iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

I think they are treating it like a high end thing. The Elite console.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

They got to make something a big deal. Can't with games.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SecretPolice

@daredevils2k said:
@SecretPolice said:

You've pretty much have been saying that for the last 4 years, and still hasn't came to light. I guess you'll be waiting for the next 4 years with the x1x to sell like hotcakes lol. Keep dreaming secret police, Keep dreaming thats all you can do with the floptastic known as the xb1 and now xb1x.

4 years? X1X was just announce a year ago. Time to stop posting, devil, you're drunk. Perhaps turn on your Bore Poo and fall asleep to your favorite Movie game. lolol :P

lexxluger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By lexxluger
Member since 2017 • 599 Posts

@rrjim1 said:

The difference between the Xbox one X and PS4 Pro though is that PS4 Pro will be, more than anything else, be sold to new buyers, as in people who don't already own a PS4.

PS4 is viewed as "good enough" to most current owners are "happy" with their standard PS4 but people who are in the market for a new PS4 might choose the Pro because it's "better" and not much more that's all.

The buys that will be the bulk of Xbox one x sales, out side of the Day 1 tech junkies, will be current loyal but dejected xbox one owner fans like yourself.

Current xbox fans who already invested in Xbox one are "dissatisfied" with the system and view Xbox one X as a way to "salvage" their initial investment. People who never purchased a xbox one have no such investment remorse nor the motivation to "make it better" like you xbox one fans seem to have.

Sure the xbox one X will sell out "now" lol it's just launching and many begrudged current xbox one owners are trading their system in like copper for gold. That isn't a sign of "public" it's just xbox one fans doubling down, that won't last.

Give it 5 months after launch we will see how much the public thinks XB1X is "worth a buy" vs say Nintendo Switch, it's real competitor as new hardware on the market.

Depending on Nintendo's supply this holiday.

Nov - Dec

Switch >>>>> PS4 >> Xbox one> Xbox one X > PS4 Pro.

My expectation but no matter what I expect more people to think Nintendo Switch is "worth a buy" over xbox one X by a large margin. Power mean jack snot face of high quality games.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#16 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

I hope they promote it some more, just to irritate you TC. Why wouldn't they promote this incredible looking device, they'd be stupid not to. According to the video they released yesterday, and as they have been saying all along, this console was designed heavily based on customer feedback. It's the console for the hardcore gamer. Extremely compact and powerful, looks like it's going to be one of the finest consoles ever produced

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SecretPolice

@Alucard_Prime said:

I hope they promote it some more, just to irritate you TC. Why wouldn't they promote this incredible looking device, they'd be stupid not to. According to the video they released yesterday, and as they have been saying all along, this console was designed heavily based on customer feedback. It's the console for the hardcore gamer. Extremely compact and powerful, looks like it's going to be one of the finest consoles ever produced

That mo fo is freaking smexy baby!!! :D

lrdfancypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 lrdfancypants
Member since 2014 • 3850 Posts

I don't understand your concern.

Why wouldn't they make a big deal out of it?

You ask this question and follow it up with:

1) it's a garbage CPU. Like that matters. They aren't going to advertise that.

2) Sony's pro did well. Wouldn't that mean MS would want to push the X1X ? I don't understand your logic.

3) market is small for this. Umm...it likely is but that'll change. What should they do? Release it in silence?

4) why bank on X1X when it is unlikely to do much better than pro? You said pro was a success. So by your logic if pro was a success with little marketing MS marketing more is wrong?

5) not many huge exclusives. <--- Maybe this point of yours answers your own question? If they lack exclusives as you say wouldn't it make sense to push the narrative of the best multiplats experience?

PinkAnimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 PinkAnimal

@Alucard_Prime: the hardcore gamer that doesn't care about 60fps according to Spencer lulz. That "hardcore gamer" is not a hardcore gamer.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#20 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

@pinkanimal: That's not what he said, it depends on the experience that's all. I absolutely care about 60 fps, and I expect devs to put focus on the 60 fps where it matters most. And this is already the case: Halo 5 was built from the ground up to deliver 60 fps, and Gears 4 is 60 fps multiplayer, 30 fps single player. And this was on the "weak" XOne.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#21 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Here is a sub 30fps box for $500.

LOL.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

It's like when you are trying to start an old dead lawnmower. You yank on the pullcord as hard and loudly as you can. "COME... ON... LIVE DAMN YOU! LIVEEEE! GOD SFF$@$# COMEON!!!"

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf3bfcedc29b
deactivated-5cf3bfcedc29b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By deactivated-5cf3bfcedc29b
Member since 2014 • 776 Posts

Because they know their fanbase cares more about power than a variety of games.

mprince131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By mprince131
Member since 2006 • 406 Posts

Why would they not? They are putting out a product and want to make a big deal out of it. Why is your (ridiculous) question coupled with comparing it to how Sony handled the Pro? Where is the logic? They are two separate companies and one is being placed with more importance than the other. You ask the question as if there is some inherent issue with it. Then you use your anecdotal feelings of it being "unlikely" to do well. If you have doubts about how it will perform maybe this should be more of an internal conversation that you have with yourself versus trying to detract from the obviousness of a company hyping it's product.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#25  Edited By aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

what else do they have to hype?

lexxluger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By lexxluger

@xantufrog said:

It's like when you are trying to start an old dead lawnmower. You yank on the pullcord as hard and loudly as you can. "COME... ON... LIVE DAMN YOU! LIVEEEE! GOD SFF$@$# COMEON!!!"

MS be working on xbox one X trying to bring xbox one back to life like..

Loading Video...

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#27 henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

XoX is making me laugh. It looks like PS2! Bad design decision, since a new console should always look like something new and powerful, not something old and weak. Lol!

Oh boy. Oh, and I asked local gamestop how many have pre ordered XoX. None, they said. Nobody seems to be interested. The most hyped thing now is, according to Gamestop, Gran Turismo Sport. This awesome PS4 exclusive will totally blow Forza outta the water.

Yeah. Everyone wants PS4 now, for Horizon Zero Dawn, and for Gran Turismo Sport. Say whaaaaat?!?

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@Juub1990 said:

With the way they're promoting it you'd think it's a next-gen console when it's simply a mid-gen upgrade that isn't even that powerful to begin with. It's still stuck with a garbage-tier CPU. Sony with the Pro was a lot more quiet and although the Pro is kind of polarizing to say the least, it still did reasonably well and can be considered a success with Sony reporting nearly 1 in 5 PS4 sold was a Pro back in June.

What's worse? The segment the console is targeted to is way smaller than the overall market. Mostly people with 4K TV's and without an Xbox One or S will be interested in that.

So I'm asking, why is Microsoft seemingly banking so much on the Xbox One X when it's unlikely it'll do much better than the PS4 Pro or that there still aren't that many huge exclusives to drive it?

1. At 4K, it's mostly GPU bound instead of CPU bound. X1X is designed for Digital Foundry's "resolution gate". X1X's CPU update is more than 2.3 Ghz overclock Jaguar, but less than Ryzen.

2. X1X has 360 mm2 silicon budget which is similar original XBO's 363 mm2 silicon budget.

Mobile quad core Ryzen setup only works when it's paired with smaller GPU like 232 mm2 Polaris 10/20 with 36 CUs, not with some larger GCN with 44 CUs.

3. XBO's API CPU overhead is less than PC's DirectX12.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator

@SecretPolice said:
@Alucard_Prime said:

I won't lie, the box cover and the sleek console is really sexy looking. Wish it was a true next-gen console, I be all over this with no regrets.

PinkAnimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 PinkAnimal

@ronvalencia said:
@Juub1990 said:

1. At 4K, it's mostly GPU bound instead of CPU bound. X1X is designed for Digital Foundry's "resolution gate". X1X's CPU update is more than 2.3 Ghz overclock Jaguar, but less than Ryzen.

2. X1X has 360 mm2 silicon budget which is similar original XBO's 363 mm2 silicon budget.

Mobile quad core Ryzen setup only works when it's paired with smaller GPU like 232 mm2 Polaris 10/20 with 36 CUs, not with some larger GCN with 44 CUs.

3. XBO's API CPU overhead is less than PC's DirectX12.

You are over 100% wrong according to the charts

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@henrythefifth said:

XoX is making me laugh. It looks like PS2! Bad design decision, since a new console should always look like something new and powerful, not something old and weak. Lol!

Oh boy. Oh, and I asked local gamestop how many have pre ordered XoX. None, they said. Nobody seems to be interested. The most hyped thing now is, according to Gamestop, Gran Turismo Sport. This awesome PS4 exclusive will totally blow Forza outta the water.

Yeah. Everyone wants PS4 now, for Horizon Zero Dawn, and for Gran Turismo Sport. Say whaaaaat?!?

VS

X1X doesn't have PS2's front grove, front vents and front memory card slots.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Xabiss
Member since 2012 • 4749 Posts

@henrythefifth said:

Holy crap this entire post reeks of so much fanboy cow dung it isn't even funny. Come on man you do not have to lie to make friends here.

They are now sold out of preorders on Gamestops website and you are saying your local Gamestop has had 0 preorders and all anyone talks about at your local Gamestop is Gran Turismo Sport. You may not be a fan of Xbox which is fine, but to come on to a forum to spread lies about something is very sad!

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SecretPolice

@davillain- said:
@SecretPolice said:
@Alucard_Prime said:

I won't lie, the box cover and the sleek console is really sexy looking. Wish it was a true next-gen console, I be all over this with no regrets.

The power over X1 is like a new gen. Would it make you feel better and buy one if MS called it next gen with all those old way trappings where you need to buy new controllers etc. and have a tiny library of games to play the first year or two like Bait & Switch or four years like The Bore? lol :P

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator

@SecretPolice: I don't like supporting upgrade mid-gen consoles and plus, I'm fine with my original Xbox One anyways. I'll gladly wait for the next-gen Xbox console. I'm a patience man :)

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

@Juub1990: They're trying to copy PS4s success thinking it sold so well be cause it had more power than Xbox one. Little do they know, that is only a small part of the reason.

PinkAnimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 PinkAnimal

@SecretPolice: "The power over X1 is like a new gen."

Lol no lemming. It's just another FauxK machine.

lexxluger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 lexxluger

@Xabiss said:
@henrythefifth said:

Holy crap this entire post reeks of so much fanboy cow dung it isn't even funny. Come on man you do not have to lie to make friends here.

They are now sold out of preorders on Gamestops website and you are saying your local Gamestop has had 0 preorders and all anyone talks about at your local Gamestop is Gran Turismo Sport. You may not be a fan of Xbox which is fine, but to come on to a forum to spread lies about something is very sad!

This part did sound made up, if not for the simple fact that Mario Odyssey is also launching this holiday.

No way all anyone is interested in is Gran Turismo Sport where he's from, no way. That's the part of his story that let me know he was just looking for a rise.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SecretPolice

@pinkanimal:

Mangy you suck at this SW thingy never knowing anything and just spewing nonsense on here 24/7. Take a break kiddo, or do you really think you sway even one person reading any of this crap? Yeah, sadly you're warped and out of touch enough to think so I suppose Lol ...

Nuff said. :P

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

@Alucard_Prime: @secretpolice You guys do know that's just the packaging right? The Scorpio edition looks exactly the same but with "Scorpio edition" written on it and a number. Watch the official video on Xbox if you don't believe me. That things does look cool though, but it's unfortunately not the actual thing.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

I see Sony fans feel threatened now that they no longer can brag about having more power or pixels or whatever.

I know they moved the goal post to exclusives, but if you don't think that's coming up next on the MS to do list, then you don't know gaming.

I love a good underdog story. First the switch. Now Xbox One X.

PinkAnimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 PinkAnimal

@SecretPolice: Who says I'm trying to sway anyone? I'me here to make fun of dumb lemmings like you. It's easy and there's a lot to make fun of. Now go back to your lemming hole to cry, nobody likes a crying rodent.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@joshrmeyer said:

@Juub1990: They're trying to copy PS4s success thinking it sold so well be cause it had more power than Xbox one. Little do they know, that is only a small part of the reason.

Yep. The real reasons consoles sell has nothing to do with power. It's an amalgam of the right pricing, right timing, good advertising, and rousing up the consumer base. The Wii did it with motion controls. PS4 did it by not being a $500 xbox one with forced kinect and drm.

Sometimes it's not what you are, it's what you AREN'T, that matters.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By SecretPolice

@pinkanimal:

You are one sad sack if you have nothing better to do 24/7. Seek help, sooner rather than later. Just some advise from your friendly neighborhood SP Man.

Now with that, scram you super salty manure spreader. lol :P

PinkAnimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 PinkAnimal

@SecretPolice: "You are one sad sack"

Says the "grown" "man" who uses the word poop on his vocabulary at least twice per sentence. sshoo sshoo

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@rrjim1 said:

Wait so paying $100 more for double the disk space was worth it when the XBO S model with bigger drive was $400 same price as the damn Pro but with a GPU 3+ times weaker,but somehow DOUBLE the POWER and DOUBLE the storage wasn't worth $100 more.?

Yes is also a BIG step in price at $500 is just not $100 more like it was the case with the Pro,it is $250 more that is DOUBLE The Price dude.

Yes and how many units they have to presell?

@Alucard_Prime said:

@pinkanimal: That's not what he said, it depends on the experience that's all. I absolutely care about 60 fps, and I expect devs to put focus on the 60 fps where it matters most. And this is already the case: Halo 5 was built from the ground up to deliver 60 fps, and Gears 4 is 60 fps multiplayer, 30 fps single player. And this was on the "weak" XOne.

Then you should buy a damn PC and not a damn xbox one since 2013 if 60FPS is what you CARED because the xbox one is hardly a 60FPS console not even the PS4 is.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 SecretPolice

@pinkanimal:

I never say that. You're easily confused, Phony's the one that named their console the PS Bore Poo, not me. :P

Oh and one more thing...

lolol

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

I'm guessing to promote their latest product as they're a business and that's what businesses do.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#48 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

It probably won't sway Sony's momentum, but the point I think is to garner goodwill in the greater gaming community, recondition their image so their viable company next gen. As someone who primarily games on an Xbox, I surely welcome it and am excited.

I don't think you saw Sony making a huge thing out of the Pro the previous E3 mostly because Microsoft beat em to the punch and had something better and Sony would have looked worse announcing side by side, hence they delayed and underwhelming reveal everyone was anticipating.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12062 Posts

Another salty shook Cow crying thread.

Cows are so not worthy to hold top billing as console Kings. Their continual insecurity shows in every thread they are in or create.

The Mighty One X just announced preorders yesterday and the front page is already full of spin threads. Can't wait for the DF comparison threads, Cows will be in full meltdown mode.

JtoThaMtoThaP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 JtoThaMtoThaP
Member since 2016 • 1016 Posts

Kind of a silly question