why is ios gaming so underrated here at gamespot

• 129 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ps2snesgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ps2snesgod
Member since 2009 • 771 Posts

A lot of people try to act like gaming on an ipod is such a horrible thing but i bet that if nintendo made the ipod it would have been called a revolution of gaming.

the ipod touch has better graphics prices and many more games than the 3ds. There is even an external controller coming out for the ipod that can be attached and works with most of the games. It is true that most of the games are shovelware but that didnt stop many other systems from getting recognized for there excellent games like wiis galaxy and ps2s god of war.

video for those who dont believe about the graphics

http://toucharcade.com/2011/05/30/madfinger-videos/

Avatar image for deactivated-58b6232955e4a
deactivated-58b6232955e4a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
Member since 2006 • 15594 Posts
Buttons.
Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12381 Posts
iOS games have great surface value and cost very little but they don't deliver the same quality/functionality as other systems/services. The gaming market is still small on iOS ...... try selling a full fledged game for even $29.99, you'll sell like 100 copies.
ps2snesgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ps2snesgod
iOS games have great surface value and cost very little but they don't deliver the same quality/functionality as other systems/services. The gaming market is still small on iOS ...... try selling a full fledged game for even $29.99, you'll sell like 100 copies. Nonstop-Madness
what counts as full fledged final fantasy 3,chaos rings,grand theft auto chinatown wars and infinity blade all sold really well
ps2snesgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ps2snesgod
Buttons. SAGE_OF_FIRE
the mini fling gives an ipod buttons.....
AdmiralBison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 AdmiralBison
Member since 2008 • 3970 Posts
No not buttons. Fanboys on System wars here are in many ways behind the times and out of touch with the real world. It's a stuck mentality of my games and hardware is the best for me and anyone else's preferences suck even contrary to the evidence. do not equate Hardcore with fanboys Do not equate Casual with games not being fun Certainly do not equate System Wars forums with reality. I have all the consoles, several pcs, iOS devices and Android and am looking to get Onlive, I've been playing games for over 20 years because I'm a gamer foremost beyond SW conservative fanaticism.
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

No buttons and library consisting mostly of extremely simple and short games.

THis is forum dedicated to core gaming, so you won't find much love for iOS here. Same with browser games (which iOS is very similiar to)

EdenProxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 EdenProxy
Member since 2010 • 1561 Posts

It simple really.

Its cus it sucks

Crashjak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Crashjak
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

THis is forum dedicated to core gaming, so you won't find much love for iOS here. Same with browser games (which iOS is very similiar to)

AdrianWerner
I have a small problem with GS on iOS gaming as well. First off hey have a review page for the games but they are barely reviewing any of the games at all. They have like 12 games reviewed when games like NOVA 2 and Gangstar miami Hustle and others just recently came out with graphics and gameplay around the par of onsole game surpassing in some areas that of the PSP. So it's just GS being lazy.
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
Buttons. SAGE_OF_FIRE
Have you played Plant vs. Zombies on iOS? I don't really think there is any better way of playing this except for touch-only.
soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts
It can be quite fun hut most of the games are essentially just flash games you find on the PC.
gamebreakerz__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 gamebreakerz__
Member since 2010 • 5120 Posts
[QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]

Crashjak
I have a small problem with GS on iOS gaming as well. First off hey have a review page for the games but they are barely reviewing any of the games at all. They have like 12 games reviewed when games like NOVA 2 and Gangstar miami Hustle and others just recently came out with graphics and gameplay around the par of onsole game surpassing in some areas that of the PSP. So it's just GS being lazy.

Did you just say on par with console?? LOL. And the only games that look good are on rails with a static background that doesn't need to be rendered.
luisen123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 luisen123
Member since 2006 • 6537 Posts
The lack of buttons doesn't allow for any kind of complexity, plus to support iOS gaming, you're implying I would even consider buying an iwhatever.
AdmiralBison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 AdmiralBison

AdrianWerner
Where does it say this forum is dedicated to core gaming? There is still no definitive definition on what constitutes core, casual and hardcore games. Is CoD considered hardcore or casual? How about Mario games though they have been around for close to 30 years? What about Wii games and the core audience? Are they considered hardcore or casual since they have games different to what are on the hd consoles? Why are there forums dedicated to iOS and Android gaming on Gamespot and Gamefaqs? Why are there dedicated game sites to iOS gaming like touch arcade around and why are there more and more games coming out for the iOS which use Unreal Engine and some pc and consoles games? Why does Nintendo consider Apple a threat and are clearly designing the Wii u tablet controller to compete with the iPad? Really SW is out of touch with the rest of the world and what actually goes on it .
good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#15 good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts

I have an iPhone 3GS. Its not a gaming machine. Its a phone, I have plenty of games on it, but controls suck, graphics are only ok to but it in the best possible way, and they're really not that great of experiences.

AdmiralBison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 AdmiralBison
[QUOTE="Crashjak"][QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]

gamebreakerz__

Did you just say on par with console?? LOL. And the only games that look good are on rails with a static background that doesn't need to be rendered.

It's not only about graphics, and a lot of games on iOS are damn impressive and they are not al on rails so what are you talking about? Do you actually have an iOS device and play and check games on the App store? Reasons why iOs gaming is so popular is because you van have collection games in one device without swapping cartridges or UMDs also with the added benefit of other multimedia functions namely phone or the big screen of a tablet. apps store easy to access games anytime anywhere, Games come out for it every day There are many dedicated iOS gaming forums and communities Many sales of games that are considered great The Settlers Dead Space Osmos Shadow Guardian Galaxy on Fire 2 NBA Jam dungeon Hunter Swords and Sorcery Back to the future Real Racing N.O.V.A. perfect Cell GT Racing Monopoly Madden NFL Sacred Oddesey Death Rally Need for Speed Shift secret of Monkey Island Star Front Battalion Splinter Cell Eternal Legacy Warp Gate Xmen City of Secrets Double Dragon iOS gaming continues to only get bigger and maybe Android as well... instead of wondering why SW hates games and gaming outside of what is normally discussed in here they should be wondering why those things are popular and one those reason is not just about graphics.
AdmiralBison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 AdmiralBison

I have an iPhone 3GS. Its not a gaming machine. Its a phone, I have plenty of games on it, but controls suck, graphics are only ok to but it in the best possible way, and they're really not that great of experiences.

good_sk8er7
So why do you get games for it then?
Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Jynxzor
Member since 2003 • 9313 Posts
iOS devices are no place for full fledged gaming experiences. While I wont scoff at the platforms abillity to shunt free flash games for a fee to people with no sense of value...Good job Apple, Kudos to you. You also compared it to the PSP graphically...can I please see the game you are talking about? I highly doubt it's on "Par" with the PSP. Hell the PSP is eons old compared to how fast iOS devices get upgraded and I still can't believe it's more powerfull.
AdmiralBison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 AdmiralBison
[QUOTE="Jynxzor"]iOS devices are no place for full fledged gaming experiences. While I wont scoff at the platforms abillity to shunt free flash games for a fee to people with no sense of value...Good job Apple, Kudos to you. You also compared it to the PSP graphically...can I please see the game you are talking about? I highly doubt it's on "Par" with the PSP. Hell the PSP is eons old compared to how fast iOS devices get upgraded and I still can't believe it's more powerfull.

What is a sense of value then? You sound so authoritative, and also it should be apparent that it's not just about graphics. Do you actually have any idea why iOS gaming is so popular? With out referring to "my taste in gaming is the best and everyone else's sucks" mentality?
LovePotionNo9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LovePotionNo9
Member since 2010 • 4751 Posts

Console elitism probably. Even DS and PSP get hate due to them being handhelds. But it's not like they're the only systems hated on either.

ps2snesgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ps2snesgod
[QUOTE="Jynxzor"]iOS devices are no place for full fledged gaming experiences. While I wont scoff at the platforms abillity to shunt free flash games for a fee to people with no sense of value...Good job Apple, Kudos to you. You also compared it to the PSP graphically...can I please see the game you are talking about? I highly doubt it's on "Par" with the PSP. Hell the PSP is eons old compared to how fast iOS devices get upgraded and I still can't believe it's more powerfull.

this is exactly what i mean i said its better than the 3ds graphically had a link and still have troll comments lol. also shadowgun infinity blade, rage and dreamscape all look far superior to ghost of sparta.
ps2snesgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ps2snesgod

Console elitism probably. Even DS and PSP get hate due to them being handhelds. But it's not like they're the only systems hated on either.

LovePotionNo9
it wouldnt be so annoying if people at least said it was a handheld but they try and say it has horrible games and ds level graphics lol
ps2snesgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ps2snesgod
iOS games have great surface value and cost very little but they don't deliver the same quality/functionality as other systems/services. The gaming market is still small on iOS ...... try selling a full fledged game for even $29.99, you'll sell like 100 copies. Nonstop-Madness
It can be quite fun hut most of the games are essentially just flash games you find on the PC. soulitane
with dlc add ons these games are not just flash games.....
Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#25 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

[QUOTE="Jynxzor"]iOS devices are no place for full fledged gaming experiences. While I wont scoff at the platforms abillity to shunt free flash games for a fee to people with no sense of value...Good job Apple, Kudos to you. You also compared it to the PSP graphically...can I please see the game you are talking about? I highly doubt it's on "Par" with the PSP. Hell the PSP is eons old compared to how fast iOS devices get upgraded and I still can't believe it's more powerfull.ps2snesgod
this is exactly what i mean i said its better than the 3ds graphically had a link and still have troll comments lol. also shadowgun infinity blade, rage and dreamscape all look far superior to ghost of sparta.

At the best, those games could be on par with Ghost of Sparta, but I wouldn't go that far.

iOS games certainly have their place, but with a few exceptions, such games aren't going to give the complexity and control that handhelds like the 3DS and PSVita can give. I won't even comapre to consoles.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 AdrianWerner

[QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]

Crashjak

They also don't review browser games and miss plenty of retail and DD PC titles. They just can't cover it all. I don't know why they even bother with iOS

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 AdrianWerner

Where does it say this forum is dedicated to core gaming? t .AdmiralBison
Says? Nowhere, but that's how it developed. From PC only site, then added consoles and handhelds. Gamespot never bothered with mobile gaming or browser games, so I don't see why you;re surprised iOS gets ignored. There are plenty of sites and forums dedicated to mobile games anyway if you're into that.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 AdrianWerner

[QUOTE="Jynxzor"]iOS devices are no place for full fledged gaming experiences. While I wont scoff at the platforms abillity to shunt free flash games for a fee to people with no sense of value...Good job Apple, Kudos to you. You also compared it to the PSP graphically...can I please see the game you are talking about? I highly doubt it's on "Par" with the PSP. Hell the PSP is eons old compared to how fast iOS devices get upgraded and I still can't believe it's more powerfull.AdmiralBison
What is a sense of value then? You sound so authoritative, and also it should be apparent that it's not just about graphics. Do you actually have any idea why iOS gaming is so popular? With out referring to "my taste in gaming is the best and everyone else's sucks" mentality?

It's popular because the games are extremely simple and cheap and iPhone itself is popular.

Mr_BillGates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 Mr_BillGates
Member since 2005 • 3211 Posts

Lack of buttons and their games have the low quality of internet flash games. Seriously, it's like their games are from newgrounds but cost money to play.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#30 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
It isn't anything more than a coffee-break casual platform. The lack of buttons is a serious detriment.
15strong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 15strong
Member since 2007 • 2806 Posts

ios is like an apetizer compared to console/pc gaming. It is a small portion of what I want out of a full meal. Plus, buttons are crucial when it comes to gaming. The mini fling covers up 50% of the screen:

scoots9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#32 scoots9
Member since 2006 • 3505 Posts

In two-three years you won't be able to game on it because that's how Apple operates.

fueled-system

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 fueled-system
Member since 2008 • 6529 Posts

AdrianWerner

Zenonia 1-3

Across Age

Wild Frontier

Legendary Wars

Ash

Queens Crown

I can go on and on how what you said is actually not true.

There are MANY ios games that are longer then full priced retail games

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 AdrianWerner

[QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]

fueled-system

Zenonia 1-3

Across Age

Wild Frontier

Legendary Wars

Ash

Queens Crown

So? THe majority of games are still flash-like in quality and lenght. So how what I said isn't true? You can also find plenty of deep and complex browser games (Some propably deeper than anything on iOS actually), but you still won't find people talking about them here much either.

I actually regularly play browser titles, as well as casual pc games, but I don't expect to find many people to discuss them with here. I don't know why iOS can't graps that.

SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SuperFlakeman
Member since 2011 • 7411 Posts

Buttons. SAGE_OF_FIRE

nailed it.

Just look at Kinect, it's the equivalent.

Compare the sword combat of SS with Star Wars. It's not even funny how broken it is in SW.

I'd also like to add, games. High quality games are simply non existent.

iOS games shine when you have 5-10 min to spare, I'll give them that.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#36 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts
System Wars plays REAL games! :twisted: The games on Iphone, etc, are too simple and are made within a day or too. Games on DS and PSP take time to be made and they have quality. TWEWY is a much better game than Angry Birds.
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

Just not my scene. Won't hate, I just don't appreciate is all.

gamefan67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 gamefan67
Member since 2004 • 10034 Posts

I find that most IOS games shine when they are meant to be played as break sessions (10-15 minutes). And most of the rich "deep" experiences on IOS are astronomically outclassed by games on other platforms.

So? THe majority of games are still flash-like in quality and lenght. So how what I said isn't true? You can also find plenty of deep and complex browser games (Some propably deeper than anything on iOS actually), but you still won't find people talking about them here much either.

I actually regularly play browser titles, as well as casual pc games, but I don't expect to find many people to discuss them with here. I don't know why iOS can't graps that.

AdrianWerner

Thank you.

Avatar image for ChrisSpartan117
ChrisSpartan117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ChrisSpartan117
Member since 2008 • 4519 Posts

Because it's Apple.

fueled-system

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 fueled-system
Member since 2008 • 6529 Posts

[QUOTE="fueled-system"]

[QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]

AdrianWerner

Zenonia 1-3

Across Age

Wild Frontier

Legendary Wars

Ash

Queens Crown

I agree with you on that but there are some very good games there and people are so quick to dismiss these games.

Some may not have great production value(most actually) but many of these games are great

The Games I listed in my first post are some of the best games on ios and they all together cost less then $10

I can almost assure that every person who dismisses these games have not really played any of the ios games

Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Jynxzor
Member since 2003 • 9313 Posts
[QUOTE="ps2snesgod"][QUOTE="Jynxzor"]iOS devices are no place for full fledged gaming experiences. While I wont scoff at the platforms abillity to shunt free flash games for a fee to people with no sense of value...Good job Apple, Kudos to you. You also compared it to the PSP graphically...can I please see the game you are talking about? I highly doubt it's on "Par" with the PSP. Hell the PSP is eons old compared to how fast iOS devices get upgraded and I still can't believe it's more powerfull.

Good job reading I was responding to Crashjack who stated that the iOS devices beat the PSP, I called him out and asked for a link. Then again your claiming it looks better than the 3DS that is on par with the PSP itself....ugh. Please link me to said game that "Beats the 3DS" I'll be sure to not count the Tech demo you linked...
edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

I think its the lack of buttons, and generally the games are not very deep and made for everyone to be able to play. It is basically a casual market and if your going to a gaming website forum i think its safe to assume everyone here is not a casual.

AdmiralBison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 AdmiralBison

[QUOTE="AdmiralBison"][QUOTE="Jynxzor"]iOS devices are no place for full fledged gaming experiences. While I wont scoff at the platforms abillity to shunt free flash games for a fee to people with no sense of value...Good job Apple, Kudos to you. You also compared it to the PSP graphically...can I please see the game you are talking about? I highly doubt it's on "Par" with the PSP. Hell the PSP is eons old compared to how fast iOS devices get upgraded and I still can't believe it's more powerfull.AdrianWerner

It's popular because the games are extremely simple and cheap and iPhone itself is popular.

Prices of course are factor, and so is user friendliness and accessability and the install base for it is important but you also left out that the

games themselves play a big part in it.

Now if we really get to the point of gaming at it's core is that it's all about fun- it's that there are becoming more and more avenues into gaming that many on SW either fail to recognise this fact or there perspective and better jdugement is skewed by years of a fanboyism mentality- (Not Hardcore or Casual or Core- because those things do not equal fanboys)

It's obvious by many of the answers here that a lot of people on SW don't really know orhave actually have games that are on the iOS devices and either dismiss them before hand as 'flash games' or go by popular anti- iOS gaming or Android gaming sentiments with out further investigation.

AdmiralBison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 AdmiralBison

[QUOTE="AdmiralBison"]Where does it say this forum is dedicated to core gaming? t .AdrianWerner

Says? Nowhere, but that's how it developed. From PC only site, then added consoles and handhelds. Gamespot never bothered with mobile gaming or browser games, so I don't see why you;re surprised iOS gets ignored. There are plenty of sites and forums dedicated to mobile games anyway if you're into that.

Than obviously there is a trend there isn't it? Core gaming has expanded to more then just PCs.

Gaming is not exclusively the domain of PCs anymore

That'sconsole gaming can manage to grow with acceptance because it offered things that suited particular peoples way of gaming- Standard console hardware, plug and play games and setting up in the lounge at a relatively cheap price.

Handhelds - Gaming on the go, cheaper games and they obviously have a more power and now and can be comparable to consoles previous generations ago.

Mobile gaming ( I don't think there will be much of a distinction between mobile gaming and handheld gaming ina few years- something else that can be discussed)- is just growing no doubt pushed by iOS and Android! with multiple manufacturers coming out with better devices every few months who is to say that in 2-3 years mobile devices will not surpass PS Vita and 3DS in power?

there is an iPhone forum here on gamespot so I don't need to go somewhere else if I'm into that- what I'm talking about is the general lack of understanding and foresight from SW that games are much bigger thena particualar group thinks and doesn't need to be constrained by a particular hardware or group of peoples idea on what gaming should be.

If that were the case we would all still be playing games on a PC with just a keyboard and mouse and the gaming industry as a whole would not be where it is today if followed such a mental constraint.

AdmiralBison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 AdmiralBison

It isn't anything more than a coffee-break casual platform. The lack of buttons is a serious detriment.foxhound_fox

People don't see the irony in this?

this same arguement was used by PC gamers against consoles gamers control pads a few years ago- with less buttons, less acurate and precise and less sophisticated games compared to PCs at the time- yet console gaming grew in popularity even with an inferior control scheme!!

AdmiralBison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 AdmiralBison

[QUOTE="fueled-system"]

[QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]

AdrianWerner

Zenonia 1-3

Across Age

Wild Frontier

Legendary Wars

Ash

Queens Crown

what about the games I listed?

SRTtoZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 SRTtoZ
Member since 2009 • 4800 Posts

[QUOTE="Nonstop-Madness"]iOS games have great surface value and cost very little but they don't deliver the same quality/functionality as other systems/services. The gaming market is still small on iOS ...... try selling a full fledged game for even $29.99, you'll sell like 100 copies. ps2snesgod
what counts as full fledged final fantasy 3,chaos rings,grand theft auto chinatown wars and infinity blade all sold really well

the virtual nub and buttons are awful....the game is downright unplayable...I should know, I own the game on my iphone 4 along with Mortal Kobmat, SF4 and a ton of other mini games (angry birds, family feud etc)

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts
[QUOTE="ps2snesgod"] with dlc add ons these games are not just flash games.....

Quite a few of them play as if they're flash games, obviously there are some that don't but most of the ones I've played on my iPod are.
edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]It isn't anything more than a coffee-break casual platform. The lack of buttons is a serious detriment.AdmiralBison

People don't see the irony in this?

this same arguement was used by PC gamers against consoles gamers control pads a few years ago- with less buttons, less acurate and precise and less sophisticated games compared to PCs at the time- yet console gaming grew in popularity even with an inferior control scheme!!

The difference between less buttons and no buttons quite a difference.

AdmiralBison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 AdmiralBison

I think its the lack of buttons, and generally the games are not very deep and made for everyone to be able to play. It is basically a casual market and if your going to a gaming website forum i think its safe to assume everyone here is not a casual.

edinsftw

I don't know about "Casual"

a lot of those terms get thrown around a lot with out much thought on what is considered "Casual" and the definitions of "Hardcore", "Casual" and "Core" are not fully understood, agreed upon and the lines are becoming blurrier.

Many here consider Nintendo games on the Wii as "casual" when they should be saying it's core to that particulay constituant.

Because in the end SW has a perspective, but based against facts - like an ever growing popularity in mobile gaming it becomes irrelevant.

The first group of p gamers to realise this trend are PC gamers. even if they accept it or not.