Why dont game companies EVER listen to their fans?

• 79 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hadoken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 hadoken
Member since 2003 • 2730 Posts

Ok some do but MOST dont. They dont listen to the complaints, such as blizzard, bungie, call of duty. Capcom does a bit though. Im refering more to diablo 3 right now, blizzard doesnt give a damn what the gamers think, they think theyre so perfect taking and adding in a bunch of features from diablo 2 lod even though people are complaining. If I had my own game company I would ask on the forum for ideas and have polls with ideas for them to choose from, like what the hell, who the hell do they think they are? we're the ones who are going to buy the damn game, its not theirs its ours!

UCF_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 UCF_Knight
Member since 2010 • 6863 Posts
People on forums generally don't represent the entire gaming population.
hadoken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 hadoken
Member since 2003 • 2730 Posts

People on forums generally don't represent the entire gaming population.UCF_Knight

now you listen here..... youre right

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#4 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

Bungie doesn't listen to their fans while Capcom does?

What the hell?

aGOODdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 aGOODdude
Member since 2010 • 444 Posts

Because fans aren't worth listening to?

Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Ly_the_Fairy
Member since 2011 • 8541 Posts

They dont listen to the complaints

hadoken

Ok, yah I've seen some companies behave this way

bungie

hadoken

Uh whaaaaaaaat?

Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Jynxzor
Member since 2003 • 9313 Posts

Capcom listens to it's fans?

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11795 Posts

Only smaller/indie companies usually do then later on once they get more money they become corrupt and say "SCREW YOU I GOT WHAT I WANT!"

casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 casharmy
Member since 2011 • 9388 Posts

from Software Did

releasing DS internationally and Creating a sequal

timmy00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#10 timmy00
Member since 2006 • 15360 Posts

Koei somewhat listen to their fans on facebook. They talk with them. Kinda have to though. :P

casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 casharmy

Only smaller/indie companies usually do then later on once they get more money they become corrupt and say "SCREW YOU I GOT WHAT I WANT!"

NoodleFighter

Your post just gave me a mind busting revelation, but I don't think this thread is in-depth enough for me to reveal what I have just had an epiphany on

AAllxxjjnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 AAllxxjjnn
Member since 2008 • 19992 Posts
They should do whatever the hell they want.
Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Jynxzor
Member since 2003 • 9313 Posts

from Software Did

casharmy
Technically Atlus release Demon Souls out into the free world.
casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 casharmy

[QUOTE="casharmy"]

from Software Did

Jynxzor

Technically Atlus release Demon Souls out into the free world.

:P ehh details.

I imported the Asian version anyway before the convert release.

Blake135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Blake135
Member since 2008 • 3994 Posts

Cause half the time the fans dont even know that they want, PEOPLE dont know want they want and their opinions are constantly changing.

Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

Fans typically don't know what they want. A feature sounds good on paper but in practice could be completely terrible if implimented.

I notice developers actually listen to fans on technical things whether it be specific parts of a feature or just adding an option. Like the highlighting objects in Deus Ex 3 is a mechanic that not a lot of people agreed with ('ruins the immersion') when it is perfectly fine in theory. Instead of removing it they simply changed a specific part of the feature in making it a toggle.

kaealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 kaealy
Member since 2004 • 2179 Posts

Most people are idiots and not worth listening to, that's why.

UnrealLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#18 UnrealLegend
Member since 2009 • 5888 Posts

I remember that Sucker Punch listened to their fans after everyone had a cry about Cole looking different.:P

Birdy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Birdy09
Member since 2009 • 4775 Posts
Fans are already customers that will buy the next game, the challenge to them is appealing to more people , so the products become less focused on what made the first good.
trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

I gotta admit, if I was a dev, I'd prefer to do what I want to do, not the community. This process then leads to new and creative ideas. It might be ok to listen to what the fans want sometimes, but seriously though, I don't expect it. It's all part of the creative process to do what they want.

Nerkcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Nerkcon
Member since 2006 • 4707 Posts
Listen to this: http://www.slideshare.net/bcousins/paying-to-win When EA were being fair and listening to 'the fans' they weren't making any money. The truth is most people of every fanbase don't care or even like the changes they make. People who speak their voices AT ALL (us) are the minority. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/VocalMinority ^^^^^^ Read it.
Nerkcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Nerkcon
Member since 2006 • 4707 Posts

Koei somewhat listen to their fans on facebook. They talk with them. Kinda have to though. :P

timmy00
They do! :shock: Actually I've heard they done this before but do they do it often? I'm trying to fight the social network evolution. [spoiler] I heard a rumor that Koei are considering discontinuing the Warriors series outside of Japan. Did they make any comments about it? [/spoiler]
timmy00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 timmy00
Member since 2006 • 15360 Posts

[QUOTE="timmy00"]

Nerkcon

They do! :shock: Actually I've heard they done this before but do they do it often? I'm trying to fight the social network evolution. [spoiler] I heard a rumor that Koei are considering discontinuing the Warriors series outside of Japan. Did they make any comments about it? [/spoiler]

Eh depends on the comments really. People starting complaining about DWG3 DLC not being in the US and they investigated that. Though Koei loves to screw the US over somewhat. :P

They also commented that they might considered a Warriors Orochi 3 when someone asked about it. I say they do it more often then most devs out there. Still could do a lot more though. :P

They haven't commented about that rumor though so I hope not. The sales for DW7 was decent overseas. For a game like Dynasty Warriors at least.

I can see them not bringing the side games though. (Like Empires, etc.)

Avatar image for HaloinventedFPS
HaloinventedFPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 HaloinventedFPS
Member since 2010 • 4738 Posts

Konami is the only big one that actually listen to their fans

or maybe its just Kojima

DethSkematik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 117

#25 DethSkematik
Member since 2008 • 3900 Posts
I'll have to disagree...Capcom listening to their fans? They've been doing the most low-balled moves in gaming more than any other company I've heard of this gen.
ugoo18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ugoo18
Member since 2010 • 1005 Posts

Depends on the game and the fanbase, some portions of fanbases are so rabid and bad tempered that it's in the devs best interests to completely ignore them and do their own thing or else their likely to mutilate their game. Part of the Zelda fanbase is a great example of this, no game can ever match the gold standard of OOT in some peoples eyes and every new entry is automatically worse than the previous entry even though the complainers might never have played it before.

OOT -> MM (WTF this is to hard it's not Zelda stop killing the series, make it more like OOT)

MM -> WW (WTF is this Celda crap, it's to kiddy make it more mature like MM)

WW -> TP (WTF is this brown gray OOT rehash, give us a unique fresh experience like WW was)

TP -> SS (WTF Celda again OMG stop giving us this kiddy crap, we want a realistic game like TP)

EDIT: Mario is much better because Nintendo ignored anything the fanbase had to say same with Metroid. I remember when Metroid Prime was first announced, the amount of hate and fanboy rage at the idea of Metroid not being a 2D side scroller was incredible yet it turned out to be one of if not the best Metroid Game.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

I can vividly remember Bungie fixing Halo2s multiplayer based on fan feedback. I think they did the same with 3, and maybe even Reach.

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

Capcom listens to it's fans?

Jynxzor

They do actually, just not all of them. Fan feedback is the reason strider, vergil and phoenix wright got into MVC3.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Depends on the game and the fanbase, some portions of fanbases are so rabid and bad tempered that it's in the devs best interests to completely ignore them and do their own thing or else their likely to mutilate their game. Part of the Zelda fanbase is a great example of this, no game can ever match the gold standard of OOT in some peoples eyes and every new entry is automatically worse than the previous entry even though the complainers might never have played it before.

OOT -> MM (WTF this is to hard it's not Zelda stop killing the series, make it more like OOT)

WW -> TP (WTF is this brown gray OOT rehash, give us a unique fresh experience like WW was)

TP -> SS (WTF Celda again OMG stop giving us this kiddy crap, we want a realistic game like TP)

EDIT: Mario is much better because Nintendo ignored anything the fanbase had to say same with Metroid. I remember when Metroid Prime was first announced, the amount of hate and fanboy rage at the idea of Metroid not being a 2D side scroller was incredible yet it turned out to be one of if not the best Metroid Game.

ugoo18

That is so true and hilarious.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts
Apparently Bungie does, which is why they released the atrocity that is known as ODST and the quick cash in Halo CE remaster.
ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts
Apparently Bungie does, which is why they released the atrocity that is known as ODST and the quick cash in Halo CE remaster. Heil68
-.- that was Microsof's choice. You can't go against the MAN!
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#32 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Because if game companies listened solely to their fans, their games wouldn't attract new gamers and they will not be able to grow.

Fans always want more of the same. If a game sold 500k and the developer makes it just like the first with some new levels and whatnot, the odds of selling over 500k are small as it isn't appealing to a larger audience.

If it was up to the fans a lot of games we enjoy today would not exist.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#33 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

ugoo18

This couldn't be more accurate.

rzepak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 rzepak
Member since 2005 • 5758 Posts

Because when they do the modern WoW happens?

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 GD1551

Because when they do the modern WoW happens?

rzepak
Haha this is so true! Did you see blizzard made a trade make for Mists of Pandaria? I wouldn't mind seeing how they do that but I don't want to play the game anymore.. it got pretty bad.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Apparently Bungie does, which is why they released the atrocity that is known as ODST and the quick cash in Halo CE remaster. Heil68

I'm confused by this. What exactly do you mean? Fans have been wanting a Halo remake for quite some time.

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GD1551

[QUOTE="Heil68"]Apparently Bungie does, which is why they released the atrocity that is known as ODST and the quick cash in Halo CE remaster. Heirren

I'm confused by this. What exactly do you mean? Fans have been wanting a Halo remake for quite some time.

The halo remake doesn't come with the original's MP from what I remember.

Gibsonsg527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Gibsonsg527
Member since 2010 • 3313 Posts

Bungie doesn't listen to their fan-base? What?

Gibsonsg527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Gibsonsg527
Member since 2010 • 3313 Posts

The fans want to play as an ODST, its not Bungie's fault the game cost 60$, and the community has been begging for aCE remake.They didn'touch the game play just like the community asked.

T1GERBLOOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 T1GERBLOOD
Member since 2011 • 37 Posts
Infinity Ward listened to there fans for MW2. Look how that turned out ...
Frostbite24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Frostbite24
Member since 2003 • 4536 Posts

If companies listened to the idiots that predominately post on these forums I think I'd have to quit gaming. Thank god they don't.

Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#42 Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts
Wish bioware did, maybe then dragon age 2 and mass effect 2 wouldn't be dumb downed non-RPGs.
Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#43 Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts

Because if game companies listened solely to their fans, their games wouldn't attract new gamers and they will not be able to grow.

Fans always want more of the same. If a game sold 500k and the developer makes it just like the first with some new levels and whatnot, the odds of selling over 500k are small as it isn't appealing to a larger audience.

If it was up to the fans a lot of games we enjoy today would not exist.

Wasdie
Well that's all fine and good but they need to stop taking features out of games to make them more "accessable". Nothing ruins angsme more than that word. How many PC franchises were ruined do to this need to attract new people? The original fans leave and the new people usually don't catch on which leaves the franchise dead! It's a db move but it happens alot. There are way toany company fanboys and apologists who will follow these companies no matter what... Dragon age 2 an mass effect 2 were loaded with these fanboys. Da2 was a critical flop and it deserved way less of a score than it got. These companies can add stuff to attract new gamers, fine but don't make the game into an action game when the sereis is supposed to be an rpg! Many bioware fans are no longer fans of them after the crap they have been pulling lately. Same can be true about square and final fantasy 13.
el3m2tigre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 el3m2tigre
Member since 2007 • 4232 Posts

Ubisoft said they listened to their fans.

Bruin1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Bruin1986
Member since 2007 • 1629 Posts

Ok some do but MOST dont. They dont listen to the complaints, such as blizzard, bungie, call of duty. Capcom does a bit though. Im refering more to diablo 3 right now, blizzard doesnt give a damn what the gamers think, they think theyre so perfect taking and adding in a bunch of features from diablo 2 lod even though people are complaining. If I had my own game company I would ask on the forum for ideas and have polls with ideas for them to choose from, like what the hell, who the hell do they think they are? we're the ones who are going to buy the damn game, its not theirs its ours!

hadoken
Your last sentence is 100% wrong. Diablo is completely and absolutely the property of Blizzard. If you and people that echo your sentiment do not buy it, Blizzard will simply find people to replace you and buy it. 2nd point: Opinions are not equal. Blizzard's opinion is vastly more important and valid than random people on internet polls that typically represent a fraction of the total user base. Blizzard knows more about Diablo than random internet posters do. You have a question about theoretical physics. What's better? Asking 1000 random people for their answer or asking Steven Hawking?
-The-G-Man-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 -The-G-Man-
Member since 2007 • 6414 Posts

Blizzard and Bungie are some of the companies that are best at listening to their fans.

you really have no idea what you're talking about.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

Bungie and Blizzard don't listen to their fans, but Capcom does?

Are you f***ing high, TC?

Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#48 deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts

It's imposible to listen to their fans, especially when it's huge and divided like the final fantasy fans. Some liked ff 6 more, some liked 7 more, some 8 , 9, 10, ( no i'm not saying 11), 12 or 13 more. seriously who can they listen to at this point.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts
Sometimes people are dumb and don't know what they want. People on forums aren't professional game designers, and as always complainers are always louder than content folks, even if the complainers are in a minority.
Avatar image for phantomblade220
phantomblade220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 phantomblade220
Member since 2010 • 958 Posts

These forums don't even represent a fraction of the gaming population.