ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

Because I enjoy it? Isn't that pretty much the purpose of entertainment?

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#52 Flyincloud1116
Member since 2014 • 6418 Posts

I do it for the love.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56108 Posts

Just for fun and masturbating Anime games with lovely Anime girls.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#54 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@davillain- said:

Just for fun and masturbating Anime games with lovely Anime girls.

I love a good wank :)

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56108 Posts

@sukraj: LOL Yep :P

nathanbats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#56 nathanbats
Member since 2016 • 1057 Posts

Fun

kingcrimson24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#57 kingcrimson24
Member since 2012 • 824 Posts

Cuz I enjoy it and have fun I guess . Why else would anyone play games ?

AND1SALTTAPE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 AND1SALTTAPE
Member since 2015 • 861 Posts

It's either gaming, fapping, reading, documentaries, or studying. Not much of a choice, is it?

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44066 Posts

Because I refuse to pay someone to play them for me. :P

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

1. They're fun to collect

2. They're a fun hobby

3. They're a good escape/relax

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45110 Posts

I have a very low tolerance for boredom.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#62 mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

Primarily, for fun, but it's more than that for me, I love learning more and more about them, pretty much what Champ said here:

@jg4xchamp said:

On a basic level: entertainment

Why I like analytical conversations about them and critiques I guess, it's the same as being a film buff. Yeah it's one thing to know that Schindler's List makes you sad, but it's another thing to recognize how all the moving pieces had to come together to eventually get you to the point of being sad about the little girl in red early in the movie, and then feeling Liam Neeson's pain at the end.

To me that's a game. No matter emotion it wants out of you, even in a game like Devil May Cry 4. It wants you to feel stylish and badass, and it's fun to see all the different things that company came up with between a cheeky character, to the way the taunt system works, to the genius that was style switching, to how many animation cancels they put in, and how different enemies reward you for learning higher end stuff to use against them, to the way the weapons work out. And at its base, it's just simple button presses, but you can do so many things with them and there is a rush to it.

And I find that stuff fascinating, also find how fucking absurdly hard all this stuff is crazy too. Most of the time you would think it's a modern miracle when a basic side-scroller gets made, much less what Bethesda does, in all its brokenness.

thepclovingguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 thepclovingguy
Member since 2016 • 2059 Posts

Because nothing else in life is fun.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46292 Posts

I love how games inspire me to learn about history, eventhough they are highly fictional.

Age of Empires sparked my love for the classical ages.

Company of Heroes thought me a lot about tanks in WW2. And I mean a lot. I can explain you the difference between an assault gun, light tank, medium tank or heavy tank, all because of playing COH xD

Battlefield 1 sparked my interest for WW1 more and I now understand the situation a lot better. By looking up stuff myself and yeah I love reading those codexes with tidbits of information in Battlefield 1.

@SecretPolice said:

Because I refuse to pay someone to play them for me. :P

Yeah and watching other people play games on Youtube or Twitch isn't that much fun either ^^

lrdfancypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 lrdfancypants
Member since 2014 • 3850 Posts

@cainetao11:

It's just entertainment.

For me it's no different than any other thing I do to relax or get out of my head.

Ine thing of difference is I don't really play games to be challenged. Maybe when I was a kid but as an older gamer I play to be entertained or forget about other things.

My daily activities are all the challenge I need.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#66 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@lrdfancypants: understood

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

Because i like them? I watch movies and read books for the same reason.....

heguain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 283

User Lists: 36

#68 heguain
Member since 2007 • 1433 Posts

Gaming is escapism, different immersive world with different stories and epic challenging goals.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#69 deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
Member since 2011 • 2103 Posts

I feel like it's an evolution of literature and film. Not in the sense that it's better, but we go from the basic world/character/story building through written words, to then being able to visualize all of these ideas and components through film (many classic movies are based off books), to then the ultimate way of consumption: interaction. No longer do I simply watch what others decide to do, now I can take action and lead these characters in their actions. I "decide" their destiny. It's like reading or watching Lord of the Rings then placing yourself in that world, as if you lived there. Obviously gaming lacks the nuance and great storytelling abilities that other mediums have because of this sense of free will. Yet, it's a testament that games are still growing. Mainstream games are what, 40 years old now, maybe less?

We're still in the stages where film was at when it was lambasted as escapism and not art. Video games have a lot of growing to do before they become widely accepted outside of mere entertainment. Perhaps a criteria of analysis that some desire will arise and journalists will have to follow those standards. Perhaps not.

Video games are mind blowing when you think about it. While it's easy to criticize developers, the amount of work and thought that goes in must be unimaginable. I can barely grasp computer science and simple coding, let alone thinking of all the possible angles a gamer might tackle a situation that you have to either allow or limit them from doing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#70 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

Because I'm bored of life

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#71 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

I'm 46 (47 next month) and have been playing games since I was 5 or 6. Gaming has been a life long addiction/obsession/hobby (depending on other people's point of view). I've grown up with it. Digital aside, I'm an avid fan of any kind of game (as long as me suffering pain is not involved), board games (monopoly to space hulk), role playing games (the real pen and paper kind), Table top war games even card games, they're all good,

As to why I play games, that would probably require someone with a doctorate in psychology to work out. Or for a simpler answer, it's because I enjoy them.

amillionhp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By amillionhp
Member since 2008 • 773 Posts

@PikminWorld said:

I feel like it's an evolution of literature and film.

Of all the responses i've read, this one most echoes my thoughts. Or at least we should say it canbe. Not that it is in most cases. A lot of games can really only be categorized in the shallow, time wasting, entertainment section but yes, there are really amazing works of art out there.

That said and i believe someone else had the same opinion but i tend to value mechanics in games more than storytelling or visual style, particularly combat. Obviously i would prefer every aspect be good but if the combat(or other primary activity) is fun, a bad story is forgivable. It doesn't work the other way around. If i remember my early childhood, i suppose it makes sense why i think like that. The game i can remember having the greatest attachment/obsession to was Street Fighter 2. It wasn't my first game, just the one i remember enjoying the most.

I play and have played games all my life partly because i enjoy them but also because i grew up in a somewhat isolated environment without a lot of alternative options to spend my time.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

I indulge in different forms of entertainment. I would say video games come in third place on my preferences, right behind film and music.

I have high admiration for all different kinds of art forms and the ability to create and analyze them, yet at the same time I can be massively picky on my enjoyment. Just because I tell you movies might be one of my favorite things, I can also tell you I don't love the majority of the ones I see. I like these particular mediums the way I enjoy fine wine. Perhaps the best wine doesn't come around all the time, but when it does it's so worth it. Video games have had that kind of effect on me. For the record I have found video games at many points to be massively repetitive and cookie-cutter because developers just love to copy one another rather than making things actually unique...But every full moon or so there's that video game that's completely unlike others and I get lost in them, and that's when it's totally worth it.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

Because every once in a while games like TW3 and Zelda:BotW come out.

PopGotcha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#75 PopGotcha
Member since 2016 • 716 Posts

Great way to chat with friends, and have a laugh. I've never been big on movies or tv shows, plus books I rarely read. I also stream quite a bit in recent times, and I really enjoy sharing my moments to the 1 random dude that decided to stop by!

I grew up on games and ill never leave them. They're too important to me!

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

Fun pastime. I also find it relaxing. And as silly as it is, a little sense of accomplishment when I beat a game.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#77  Edited By adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

because between the various form of media entairtainment imo games are by far the most fun medium due to interactivity and more original ideas and content compared to the s***t that is television nowdays and the same old same old movies. The only other medium i like as much as games is music but even that imo has stragnated the last 10-15years

Willz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Willz
Member since 2017 • 6 Posts

Entertainment and to pass some time.

I only play on the PC. But might get a PS4 at some point in the future for the exclusives.

Yams1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#79 Yams1980
Member since 2006 • 2862 Posts

i play em cause they're fun

xxyetixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 xxyetixx
Member since 2004 • 3041 Posts

To socialize with friends when I'm home alone and think I have nothing else to do when in reality I could be doing much more productive things ¯\_(ツ)_/¯