SpiderLuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SpiderLuke
Member since 2006 • 719 Posts

I'm not going to go into specifics, but I recently listened to a podcast where they referred to the 3DS and Wii U as toys. (Don't want to go into details on who said it. The post isn't really about criticizing their character, but more so touching on a more general issue.) They felt that they only served a purpose to them for just when they want to play Mario stuff, maybe Zelda stuff and they put it away, again, saying "like a toy."

I became so infuriated that I had the urge to throw my phone out onto the highway upon hearing this. The podcasters then went on to say that their PS4 and Vita felt like more all-around machines that almost never turn off, which is fine and dandy, but I still don't understand how people belittle Nintendo the way they do today.

From their logic, though even, wouldn't everything be a toy? We're all playing games to have fun, right?

I have a PS4/Vita and Wii U/3DS and my situation is pretty much the reverse, with the consoles at least. The Wii U is on constantly and the PS4, not so much, but I still enjoy it from time to time. (Portables are about equal.)

I just don't understand the stigma people still have with Nintendo. Yeah, their ips are still the same, but they always seem to keep things fresh depending on the hardware, or try to deliver the best versions of their games to the fans that support them.

Not really sure where I am going with this other than, why is it that people don't give Nintendo the respect it deserves, and why is it that so many people seem to think that they can't coexist with the rest of the gaming world?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

They hate fun

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts

Other platforms get a higher quantity of games and thus offer options. Nintendo's devices don't. Beyond the Nintendo staples, there is very little those devices offer beyond that.

EZs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 EZs
Member since 2005 • 1573 Posts

Because their systems are underpowered.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

They don't dislike Nintendo... they just look down on Nintendo......... as if they are too good to play Mario....... damn those bastards.

CWEBB04z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 CWEBB04z
Member since 2006 • 4879 Posts

Maybe Nintendo should quit producing weak consoles.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#7  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17815 Posts

They have been making the same games for multiple decades with very few new IPs. The consoles are underpowered and feature gimmicky peripherals. The core Mario and Zelda games have become worse over the years (don't care about their other franchises). They focus too much on family friendly games and don't diversify.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@lostrib:

Yes... that too.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

They believe "adult" or "mature" is a mark of maturity and playing something that appeals to children might make them appear to be children.

mmmwksil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mmmwksil
Member since 2003 • 16423 Posts

They are insecure. Plain and simple.

Not liking the games is one thing, but referring to them as "toys" or "kiddy" is a clear indication of immaturity and insecurity.

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By 22Toothpicks
Member since 2005 • 12546 Posts

Umm maybe, just maybe, they don't care for Ninty because that is their opinion? I myself love Nintendo but also understand that what they offer may not appeal to everyone. Calling them "kidtendo" and referring to them as toys (in the context of the podcast you mentioned, it is clearly meant as a derogatory label) is a bit much, though. But really, aren't all video games toys?

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

Bc I started disliking more and more of their games.

Zelda WiiU looks to completely change my mind though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b0367b217732
deactivated-5b0367b217732

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 9

#13 deactivated-5b0367b217732
Member since 2014 • 1697 Posts

Quite frankly, I blame the Wii. Ever since that thing appeared it has become "uncool" to own a Nintendo console.

Avatar image for notorious1234na
Notorious1234NA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Notorious1234NA
Member since 2014 • 1917 Posts

@SpiderLuke said:

I'm not going to go into specifics, but I recently listened to a podcast where they referred to the 3DS and Wii U as toys. (Don't want to go into details on who said it. The post isn't really about criticizing their character, but more so touching on a more general issue.) They felt that they only served a purpose to them for just when they want to play Mario stuff, maybe Zelda stuff and they put it away, again, saying "like a toy."

I became so infuriated that I had the urge to throw my phone out onto the highway upon hearing this. The podcasters then went on to say that their PS4 and Vita felt like more all-around machines that almost never turn off, which is fine and dandy, but I still don't understand how people belittle Nintendo the way they do today.

From their logic, though even, wouldn't everything be a toy? We're all playing games to have fun, right?

I have a PS4/Vita and Wii U/3DS and my situation is pretty much the reverse, with the consoles at least. The Wii U is on constantly and the PS4, not so much, but I still enjoy it from time to time. (Portables are about equal.)

I just don't understand the stigma people still have with Nintendo. Yeah, their ips are still the same, but they always seem to keep things fresh depending on the hardware, or try to deliver the best versions of their games to the fans that support them.

Not really sure where I am going with this other than, why is it that people don't give Nintendo the respect it deserves, and why is it that so many people seem to think that they can't coexist with the rest of the gaming world?

....all consoles are classified as toys go back to school.

Me think you are taking things out of context to make your point or bs since you wont even provide a link to the podcast. Its a forum, a video game forum, no one getting sued for defamation.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

I don't hate Nintendo, I just don't go out of my way to like them either. Must be that I am not into most of their games.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 foxhound_fox

@hernandezzzz said:

Quite frankly, I blame the Wii. Ever since that thing appeared it has become "uncool" to own a Nintendo console.

"Purple Lunchbox" much?

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5256 Posts

It is immature bias or preference to games that Nintendo does not produce.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

because they had no real childhood. anyone who's first console was a ps1 doesn't even count as a person imo

david61983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 david61983
Member since 2013 • 288 Posts

They make vastly underpowered consoles and try to sell them at ridiculous prices. Also, they completely alienated all 3rd party developers and tried to take video gaming towards gimmick land with the Wii.

blamix99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20 blamix99
Member since 2011 • 2685 Posts

I'm almost 26 years old, Hell i'll still be playing Mario games even if i was 90 years old

Avatar image for deactivated-5b0367b217732
deactivated-5b0367b217732

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By deactivated-5b0367b217732
Member since 2014 • 1697 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

"Purple Lunchbox" much?

Nah, the GameCube was fine.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#22 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41538 Posts

@hernandezzzz said:

Oh please! Like Nintendo consoles were NEVER received that way BEFORE the Wii (remembers the Gamecube era).

Anyway, TC. The reasons are too big to list and are convoluted and at times, hypocritical as they become.

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Desmonic  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 19990 Posts

They kicked my puppy. You don't just kick other people's puppies TC! You just don't! :O

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

Elitist gamers are literally the worst. All video games are toys.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

I don't hate Nintendo, I have DS, DSi XL, 3 DS XL, Gameboy Advance and Wii but, for example, I would hardly consider Wii to be my main gaming console, handhelds are good but PSP has more "mature" games.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Why do some people dislike nintendo? In simplest terms? Some people are dumb, plain and simple.

People think that maturity in games is what appears on the surface. The reality is that it is whats underneath--the principle behind the game--which dictates maturity. Break the images down to squares and balls. The game should still be fun. Nintendo are easily the most mature designers in the industry.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#28 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Nintendo is awesome. Some people hate them, others don't. Which is also true of Xbox and PlayStation.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#29  Edited By 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

@hernandezzzz said:

@foxhound_fox said:

"Purple Lunchbox" much?

The GC was mocked to hell.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

They are fanboys .

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#31 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41538 Posts

@hernandezzzz said:

@foxhound_fox said:

"Purple Lunchbox" much?

Where the hell were you that gen? The Gamecube was regarded as kiddy before the Wii even freaking released.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#32 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

they stopped catering to people that didnt like zelda and mario after gamecube...

im not saying i hate ninty, but why do their consoles have gimmicky funky controllers? why is fire emblem , advance wars, golden sun, pokemon only on handhelds?

darklight4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By darklight4
Member since 2009 • 2094 Posts

People have a right to dislike them just like any other company. I don't like nintendo their games don't appeal to me anymore.

applefan1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 applefan1991  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 3397 Posts

I don't "hate" Nintendo at all. I like them honestly, I just wish that they would have done more to push the console limits last gen and this gen. I get that they are trying to do the whole wii-mote thing, but at the end of the day, I just want to sit down with a controller and play games. Also their lack of 3rd party support is a deal breaker as well.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#35  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

So they called Nintendo a toy and now you come here to ask, why some people dislike Nintendo?

Well TC, as you grow up you'll come to the realization that not everyone will like the same things as you do. Nintendo for example, they were the only thing I knew when I was a kid. All I played was Nintendo till my parents bought me a PS1. There I played Parasite Eve, my first PS1 game, and since then I stopped caring that much about Nintendo but I still cared about Zelda and Metroid. A little bit of faith was restored when I played Metroid Prime and then when I watched that awesome tech demo of Zelda for GameCube but it was short-lived.

I just don't care about most of the stuff Nintendo is producing and with the lack of 3rd party support their consoles offer me nothing. I was already till the neck with the Pokemon rehashes, the Mario Karts, Smash Bros, etc. To me Wind Waker was more boring than the fun I had with it and this is coming from someone who's bread & butter was once Zelda. Twilight Princess and then Skyward Sword, the series' getting progressively worse and so was the Prime series. Prime 1 awesome, Prime 2 good, Prime 3 WTF is this shit and why does it has a 90/100 on Metacritic?

From my point of view Nintendo are irrelevant, their systems are overpriced and their games highly overrated. The toy claim most likely comes from Nintendo's lack of variety and strong focus on traditional gameplay. Their games offer nothing but gameplay since their characters' goals never go beyond just winning/saving someone or something, don't have personality, they are just as shallow as toys for children. Play them and fill the gaps with your imagination. Parasite Eve on the PS1 still offers more depth with all its aspects combined than any Nintendo game in the last 15 years.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

The whole "I'm mature bc I'm 25 and play Nintendo games still - I'm an individual young adult - hear me roar" stuff is dellusional.

Maybe I'm in my 30's, played Nintendo for a long time and lost interest in their games?

Avatar image for slimdogmilionar
slimdogmilionar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 slimdogmilionar
Member since 2014 • 1343 Posts

Easy, because despite having a less powerful console, almost no 3rd party support, and worse graphics Nintendo is still able to differentiate themselves from the competition and also make games that appeal to people.

NIntendo's pretty slick, they keep letting Sony and Microsoft duke it out while they just step back and get money from fans of both sides. When you buy a Nintendo system it's for good fun games, let Microsoft and Sony fight over graphics and exclusives deals.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Wow, how could someone call Nintendo's hardware (which focuses on making games for children and casuals) a toy?

I have no idea, it's like Nintendo is for children and the only reason they had a presence in the United States was because of a toy robot...

Oh never mind, that's right, Nintendo DOES only make toys that are intended for children and casuals

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 foxhound_fox

@jsmoke03 said:

they stopped catering to people that didnt like zelda and mario after gamecube...

im not saying i hate ninty, but why do their consoles have gimmicky funky controllers? why is fire emblem , advance wars, golden sun, pokemon only on handhelds?

What is a "gimmick"?

Every controller, or input concept Nintendo has integrated into their console has been imitated by the competition.

• SNES - shoulder buttons (the first to use them)
  • N64 - analogue stick (PS controller was redesigned to integrate them)
  • Gamecube - wireless (all controllers now are wireless)
  • Wii - motion controls (Move, Kinect)
  • Wii U - remote play (PSVita)

Funny how people call "gimmick" when Nintendo does it first, yet come to accept them when their console manufacturer of choice integrates them later on or in the next generation.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

I just can't stand a lot of their hypocrite over sensitive biased fans.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#41 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

I love there software. On the other hand there hardware, and the fact that they are behind when it comes to there online, deserves criticism.

They need to really step up with there next console.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#42 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5256 Posts

@DocSanchez said:

This is not Fanboy Wars here.

applefan1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By applefan1991  Moderator

***Mod Note - Friendly reminder that the topic is about Nintendo - not it's fans. Keep on the subject.***

@onesiphorus said:

@DocSanchez said:

This is not Fanboy Wars here.

Correct.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

@Heirren said:

@Jaysonguy:

-- Deleted --

Facts hurt

mmmwksil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By mmmwksil
Member since 2003 • 16423 Posts
@Jaysonguy said:

I have no idea, it's like Nintendo is for children and the only reason they had a presence in the United States was because of a toy robot...

Nintendo games have universal appeal. It has been their primary goal since they began as a video game company.

Their use of R.O.B. was a clever marketing strategy to get a foothold in the US market at a time when the consumer wanted nothing to do with video games following the Atari mess.

@Jaysonguy said:

Facts hurt

Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Zen_Light
Member since 2010 • 2143 Posts

@DocSanchez said:

Show us on the doll where Nintendo fans touched you.

applefan1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 applefan1991  Moderator

@mems_1224 said:

because they had no real childhood. anyone who's first console was a ps1 doesn't even count as a person imo

Whew! I had a Super Nintendo for about a year, THEN I got the PS1. I'm still a person!!

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

@applefan1991 said:

@mems_1224 said:

Whew! I had a Super Nintendo for about a year, THEN I got the PS1. I'm still a person!!

only half

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#50 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

@DocSanchez: Definitely don't disagree with you, but I'll argue that many opponents against Nintendo are so completely enveloped with their disdain for the manufacturer that they are just as bad as the fans. Same story with anti-Microsoft/Sony/PC.Eh, a topic for another time... Or board... Or site...?

On topic, some folks feel like they've been burned by Nintendo. Or their tastes have changed. The other consoles suffer through this as well. So I don't know if there's an easy answer without generalizing.