Why Do People Think MGS4 is So Great (Spoilers Within)

• 173 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Skittles_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 Skittles_McGee
Member since 2008 • 9136 Posts
TBH IMO, this gen are mostly filled with games such as SHOOTERS THAT LACKS STORIES. These games lacks stories and they are completely forgettable. Bazooka_4ME
I'd much rather have a fun and forgettable game than a game I'm only going to remember because tiny little robots in their blood kept half the cast from dying :|
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
There really aren't games like the MGS ones out there, MGS4 is a damn good game. However, it has glaring faults. The archaic alert system is broken, the player is given a variety of tools but the actual progressive challenge to use them isn't there. The game wants to let the player adapt to different styles of play - e.g. putting in a much more focused shooting system, however the rest of the game doesn't accommodate it at all. Oh and the games narrative is a real hit and miss; the most glaring being the cut scenes - of course. But it has its moments. However as much as I like my MGS it's certainly no MGS1 or MGS3:S, despite its improvements technically and in certain mechanics. I enjoy my MGS games, but honestly it doesn't close to MGS3:S
Martin_G_N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 Martin_G_N
Member since 2006 • 2124 Posts

MGS4 is pretty awesome, all the MGS games are. I agree about the story though, there are alot of stuff about it that I don't know. But I don't care, I still enjoy the cinematics, the characters, and the acting.

The fact that we are still discussing this singleplayer game, about the good and bad, explanes why this game is one of the best this gen. Are we discussing how awesome the latest splinter cell was?? No, there are'nt alot of games that immerses you the way MGS4 does.

LordXelNaga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 LordXelNaga
Member since 2005 • 1161 Posts
I know that a lot of people find grievance against the story of MGS4 but for me personally, it was the greatest part of the game. I really appreciated how saturated the story was with detail and it certainly lent itself to multiple playthroughs. Kojima's crazy story is very much like Tarantino's crazy characters, they're such fun to experience.
clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29827 Posts
mgs 4 hurt is still spreading after all this time, haters are still butthurt.HailCaesarHail
How is it "hurt?" I've played the game and enjoyed it. I just don't put it on the greatest of all time pedestal that some do. Its just opinion.
CBR600-RR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 CBR600-RR
Member since 2008 • 9695 Posts

It's just that good. Do you not understand it?

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#107 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

You just answered your own question. "there's really good stuff going on in terms of gameplay. "Bread_or_Decide

Let's not be disingenuous.

Alot of not so great games have really good gameplay stuff going on.

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts

Overall, MGS4 wasn't for everybody. If you never understood even a single game from its series then you wouldn't understand MGS4 at all. I'm positively sure Kevin V gave this game a 10/10 because he completely understood its story IMO.

Bazooka_4ME

It sounds like you loved it due to pure nostalgia, rose-tinted glasses if you will. We have yet to see someone explain exactly what makes MGS4 an actual good story, without bringing nostalgia into it.

Jeez it's like no one in SW played Planescape or Bloodlines. :lol:

Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 Filthybastrd
Member since 2009 • 7124 Posts

Short version: Once I got a bit into it, it was a mezmerising journey even with the contrived plot and all the cheese.

Long version: Nevermind.

[QUOTE="Bazooka_4ME"]

Overall, MGS4 wasn't for everybody. If you never understood even a single game from its series then you wouldn't understand MGS4 at all. I'm positively sure Kevin V gave this game a 10/10 because he completely understood its story IMO.

tagyhag

It sounds like you loved it due to pure nostalgia, rose-tinted glasses if you will. We have yet to see someone explain exactly what makes MGS4 an actual good story, without bringing nostalgia into it.

IDK.... Can't say Bloodlines blew me out of my chair and PS:T really is a gem storywise. As in completely unique in the gaming industry.

Furthermore I don't think there are grounds for comparison at all since since the Metal Gears have a very distinctive japanese feel contrary to aforementioned Bloodlines and PST.

I don't interpret that post as a matter of nostalgia at all but more of how MGS and it's plot devices appeal to you. Personally, I find that there's an epic and wonderfull story buried beneath all the cheese which is much more than can be said about the majority of games released.

Edit: And I don't really see the points in TC's post.. seems like the gist of it all is "I don't understand the appeal" to which I'll just answer: "I expect that your tastes lie mostly with western games and you generally dislike japanese storytelling".

I remember GS praising the story of Halo 3 which is much more dumbfounding to me.

Avatar image for metalgear-solid
metalgear-solid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#111 metalgear-solid
Member since 2004 • 7001 Posts

TC, if you don't get the point of the game, then I feel sorry for you.

The same way I could ask what makes Halo great? Seemingly very repetitive and generic, not to mention the lack of story.

TheMoreYouOwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 TheMoreYouOwn
Member since 2010 • 3927 Posts
Same game. Same story. Same complaint. The drama/story of these games have been over the top since 1987, but yet somehow the franchise carries on. Why? Because there's obviously something about them that gamers enjoy. There aren't too many game franchises that can survive for quarter of a century (Zelda and Mario first pop into my head), so obviously Kojima and co. are doing something right...even with the ridiculous storylines.
Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 Swift_Boss_A
Member since 2007 • 14579 Posts

TC made some good points, but like I could have predicted, alot of people responded with either nothing or pure stupidity.

The fact that people who act like it is one of the greatest things ever can't really explain theirselves is pretty telling.

GreySeal9

Yeah some people over hype games, who would have thought. It's certainly not that but it is one of the best titles to release this gen.

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#114 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

Because ignoring the bad writing the game was excellent presented, had fun gameplay and some really good scenes/boss fights? Even if the story isn't up to par (I didn't mind it and I watched every cutscene). MGS4 was the first game that honestly said "welcome to the new-gen" for me.

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

I said it once and I'll say it again.

MGS 4 is the most overrated game this generation. I really can't believe how many "perfect" 10s this game received. I mean, it's good enough but not that good, especially with the massive plot deficiencies and flat out ridiculousness that went on in the game.

The_Game21x

It's probably one of the most overrated this generation up there with mass effect 2 both of them share that position as far as I'm concerned.

Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 Swift_Boss_A
Member since 2007 • 14579 Posts

[QUOTE="Bazooka_4ME"]

tagyhag

MGS4 is pure fan service but story is not as bad or as good as people say, but it is good viewing. Why? Well I actually liked that nano machines explain quite a bit, I mean it's a multi-purpose device, like a drugs are these days. People use them to get high, medical reasons or what-ever. So I bought into the fact that Nano-machines prevented the affect of Fox-die on Snake, which also means it could very well prevent Cancer for Naomi and emotions in PMC's. And it made Vamp immortal? Sure ok it healed cells at accelerated rate. And the story about the war economy, how war has changed and unlike before it's the means for other businesses to prosper, the patriots have taken control to create a new society under war, Ocelot wants to take control of the patriot AI thus taking control of the war economy and Snake wants to stop him and in the process shut down the patriots to give freedom to the people. I don't want to go in depth but I enjoyed it, even the part where Ocelot revealed that he was just a doppelganger and not really Liquid. I liked MGS4 story, end of :)

trodeback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#117 trodeback
Member since 2007 • 3161 Posts

After about 10 exclusives on the PS3 it is prob my fav so far. Some of the story is bland and the cutscenes are far to long for my taste but overall the gameplay was excellent. I don't see any reason why this game shouldn't have got a 10/10. Too many harsh critics on the forums these days. I'm tired of ppl putting down a game just because it's so successful. Maybe it's cause more ppl play it the more dislikes it gets but it seems especially now adays anything that is very successful is hated among the gamespot members. In order for a game to be liked among the masses on the forums it has to be from a new upcomming developer that hardly anyone knows about and a game not many ppl have played. Once that dev gets big or their game gets big then suddenly you see everyone on the forums talk about how it's "overrated", "outdated", "sellout", and generally uncool.

Silverbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 Silverbond
Member since 2008 • 16130 Posts
[QUOTE="metalgear-solid"]

TC, if you don't get the point of the game, then I feel sorry for you.

The same way I could ask what makes Halo great? Seemingly very repetitive and generic, not to mention the lack of story.

What's Halo got to do with anything? Instead of attacking another game, why don't you defend yours?
tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 tagyhag

IDK.... Can't say Bloodlines blew me out of my chair and PS:T really is a gem storywise. As in completely unique in the gaming industry.

Furthermore I don't think there are grounds for comparison at all since since the Metal Gears have a very distinctive japanese feel contrary to aforementioned Bloodlines and PST.

I don't interpret that post as a matter of nostalgia at all but more of how MGS and it's plot devices appeal to you. Personally, I find that there's an epic and wonderfull story buried beneath all the cheese which is much more than can be said about the majority of games released

I remember GS praising the story of Halo 3 which is much more dumbfounding to me.

Filthybastrd

Whether someone thinks the story was good or bad, everyone can agree that it was quite unique. :P

And oh lord GS praised the story of Halo 3? :lol: That's like praising MW2's story.

MGS4 is pure fan service but story is not as bad or as good as people say, but it is good viewing. Why? Well I actually liked that nano machines explain quite a bit, I mean it's a multi-purpose device, like a drugs are these days. People use them to get high, medical reasons or what-ever. So I bought into the fact that Nano-machines prevented the affect of Fox-die on Snake, which also means it could very well prevent Cancer for Naomi and emotions in PMC's. And it made Vamp immortal? Sure ok it healed cells at accelerated rate. And the story about the war economy, how war has changed and unlike before it's the means for other businesses to prosper, the patriots have taken control to create a new society under war, Ocelot wants to take control of the patriot AI thus taking control of the war economy and Snake wants to stop him and in the process shut down the patriots to give freedom to the people. I don't want to go in depth but I enjoyed it, even the part where Ocelot revealed that he was just a doppelganger and not really Liquid. I liked MGS4 story, end of :)

Swift_Boss_A

I agree that it is entertaining, I just question the people that call it the greatest story in video gaming, even putting deus ex machina aside.

Skittles_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 Skittles_McGee
Member since 2008 • 9136 Posts
And oh lord GS praised the story of Halo 3? :lol: That's like praising MW2's storytagyhag
I don't think you understand the complexity of "finishing the fight".
Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts

First of all, :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:....

It's 2011. People are still bashing MGS4? Seriesly, the game deserves the score its given because it sums up pretty much the entire series into one game which no other game this gen has ever done.

The game basically outnumbers other games out there when it came to plot, characters, and settings. It wasn't just the whole nanomachines or the Patriots mumbo-jumbo haters are still touting. It was more about its gameplay flashing you back to its roots giving you that nostalgic feeling of unresolved mysteries. I'm pretty sure most of its fans were very curious about what was going to happen in MGS4 before it came out. It was the most anticipated game of 2008. By the time I had the game on my hands, the only thing that ever came to me was how Snake was going to stop his clone brother Liquid. MGS2 was mainly about Raiden as a sidequest story. MGS3 was a flashback explaining the beginning of "La Li Lu Le Lo", the Patriots, and the meaning of "The Boss". When MGS4 came out, it strucked many people to the heart when they saw Snake all withered and old probably asking the same thing other people are wondering, "How the hell is he going to stop Liquid at this condition?"

By the time I finished the game, I was speechless and a little emo at the end because it was epic (true story:P). There were many parts of the game such as in Act 4 when Snake entered Shadow Moses for the first time in 10 years and "The Best Is Yet To Come" started playing. The other part was during the final duel between Snake and Liquid/Ocelot and main theme songs of the past MGS games started playing. MGS4's plot was basically a perfect conclusion to the series.

I can understand why gamers nowadays are underwhelmed by games such as MGS. You wonder why many people in popular places such as Youtube are being nostalgic about a certain game from a series and why they consider it as the best? TBH IMO, this gen are mostly filled with games such as SHOOTERS THAT LACKS STORIES. These games lacks stories and they are completely forgettable. Nowadays we have mindless shooting games that doesn't give specific points about its plots, characters, and settings. It's all about shooting the bad guys (or aliens) and saving the world. Yes I'm talking about Halo and most of the shooting game genre. It's like, what happened to Master Chief? What was he like before Halo CE? Did we ever experience about his history in Fall of Reach? Same with Marcus and Drake. What were they like before becoming soldiers or treasure hunters? Such potholes as these that you won't find inside those games are all answered in the MGS series.

Overall, MGS4 wasn't for everybody. If you never understood even a single game from its series then you wouldn't understand MGS4 at all. I'm positively sure Kevin V gave this game a 10/10 because he completely understood its story IMO.Bazooka_4ME

Sooo, you simply just nostalgia'd all over your television screen when you first played MGS4. That's not a very good reason for MGS4 being the so-called generation-defining title.

Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 Filthybastrd

[QUOTE="Bazooka_4ME"]First of all, :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:....

It's 2011. People are still bashing MGS4? Seriesly, the game deserves the score its given because it sums up pretty much the entire series into one game which no other game this gen has ever done.

The game basically outnumbers other games out there when it came to plot, characters, and settings. It wasn't just the whole nanomachines or the Patriots mumbo-jumbo haters are still touting. It was more about its gameplay flashing you back to its roots giving you that nostalgic feeling of unresolved mysteries. I'm pretty sure most of its fans were very curious about what was going to happen in MGS4 before it came out. It was the most anticipated game of 2008. By the time I had the game on my hands, the only thing that ever came to me was how Snake was going to stop his clone brother Liquid. MGS2 was mainly about Raiden as a sidequest story. MGS3 was a flashback explaining the beginning of "La Li Lu Le Lo", the Patriots, and the meaning of "The Boss". When MGS4 came out, it strucked many people to the heart when they saw Snake all withered and old probably asking the same thing other people are wondering, "How the hell is he going to stop Liquid at this condition?"

By the time I finished the game, I was speechless and a little emo at the end because it was epic (true story:P). There were many parts of the game such as in Act 4 when Snake entered Shadow Moses for the first time in 10 years and "The Best Is Yet To Come" started playing. The other part was during the final duel between Snake and Liquid/Ocelot and main theme songs of the past MGS games started playing. MGS4's plot was basically a perfect conclusion to the series.

I can understand why gamers nowadays are underwhelmed by games such as MGS. You wonder why many people in popular places such as Youtube are being nostalgic about a certain game from a series and why they consider it as the best? TBH IMO, this gen are mostly filled with games such as SHOOTERS THAT LACKS STORIES. These games lacks stories and they are completely forgettable. Nowadays we have mindless shooting games that doesn't give specific points about its plots, characters, and settings. It's all about shooting the bad guys (or aliens) and saving the world. Yes I'm talking about Halo and most of the shooting game genre. It's like, what happened to Master Chief? What was he like before Halo CE? Did we ever experience about his history in Fall of Reach? Same with Marcus and Drake. What were they like before becoming soldiers or treasure hunters? Such potholes as these that you won't find inside those games are all answered in the MGS series.

Overall, MGS4 wasn't for everybody. If you never understood even a single game from its series then you wouldn't understand MGS4 at all. I'm positively sure Kevin V gave this game a 10/10 because he completely understood its story IMO.Verge_6

Sooo, you simply just nostalgia'd all over your television screen when you first played MGS4. That's not a very good reason for MGS4 being the so-called generation-defining title.

Well, the naysayers won't accept that some people apparantly find the story "good" and the game "fun" not to mention the sum being "bigger than it's parts". Exactly what are we defending here?

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 Verge_6

Exactly what are we defending here?Filthybastrd
You tell me. MGS4 flip-flops from being "good/fun" to "generation-defining" at the bat of an eye in this thread. Also, it's be nice if more than one or two of said supporters would extrapolate on their views, rather than just saying "the story/game is awesome" and "It got a AAAA score, that's why".

The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#124 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts

[QUOTE="The_Game21x"]

I said it once and I'll say it again.

MGS 4 is the most overrated game this generation. I really can't believe how many "perfect" 10s this game received. I mean, it's good enough but not that good, especially with the massive plot deficiencies and flat out ridiculousness that went on in the game.

Espada12

It's probably one of the most overrated this generation up there with mass effect 2 both of them share that position as far as I'm concerned.

Well I'm definitely going to have to disagree with you on Mass Effect 2. That game was just...so good...

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#125 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts
It's great because it's fun and finishes the MGS story.
Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 Filthybastrd

[QUOTE="Filthybastrd"] Exactly what are we defending here?Verge_6

You tell me. MGS4 flip-flops from being "good/fun" to "generation-defining" at the bat of an eye in this thread. Also, it's be nice if more than one or two of said supporters would extrapolate on their views, rather than just saying "the story/game is awesome" and "It got a AAAA score, that's why".

I'll be happy to:

Personally I've long been exposed to japanese mediam Manga/Anime in particular. As such, I'm accustomed to the peculiarites of their culture which entails quite a bit of what us westerners perceive as cheesey and contrived. To me, that makes the story of MGS4 amazing since I'm able to focus on the good parts not unlike what is needed to stomach the characters from GEARS or Rico from KZ.

The gameplay itself, while not being entirely stealth or action, provides a very satisfying hybrid IMO which im combination with the settings and level design happens to strike my nostalgia nerve simultaeniously with my entertainment nerve.

Was I embarrased to have my wife watch me play through the whole Akiba/Meryll loveaction scene at the end? Yes, but certain other parts were absolutely epic. The fact that she for the most part found it exciting enough to watch also speaks volumes abit the feat they achieved with this diamond.

Remeber the laughing scene in FFX? I was damn happy to be all by myself when that cuscene polluted my TV but the game as a whole was still amazing. It's the same deal here.

What happens with the Naysayers is that they're unable to not focus on the cheese, something I personally think has a lot to do with culture and upbringing since they quite often are entirely able to love and enjoy games like Gears of War, Halo, Killzone and CoD.

Excuse grammar and spelling. english is a secondary language and I'm drunk.

Edit: In the end, for me, it's a matter of the sum being much greater than it's parts.

And as much as I love the game, it's lost it's "best game this gen" title to Demon's Souls which is a damn masterpiece.

Editedit: MGS4 is a 9/10 to me which is more than I'll credit most games with because I'm fair. Excellence is'nt something you do 50% of the time.

NWA90s

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 NWA90s
Member since 2010 • 859 Posts

hmm...so you dont like its plot/story which doesnt make it great or special?

the real question should be this: Why don`t the people who like storyline watch the godfather or read a book?

anyways, mgs4 deserves a 9/10

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 tagyhag

[QUOTE="Verge_6"]

[QUOTE="Filthybastrd"] Exactly what are we defending here?Filthybastrd

I'll be happy to:

Personally I've long been exposed to japanese mediam Manga/Anime in particular. As such, I'm accustomed to the peculiarites of their culture which entails quite a bit of what us westerners perceive as cheesey and contrived. To me, that makes the story of MGS4 amazing since I'm able to focus on the good parts not unlike what is needed to stomach the characters from GEARS or Rico from KZ.

I don't really think that matters. :P Sonicmj1 has actually LIVED in Japan.

PatchMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#129 PatchMaster
Member since 2003 • 6013 Posts

It's 2011. People are still bashing MGS4?

Bazooka_4ME

Let's clear this up now. Stating your opinionthat a game is not perfect and asking others why they believe the game deserved a 10 is not bashing. Perhaps the biggest misconception in SW is that going on the offensive in a topicmeans your trolling.

rawr89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 rawr89
Member since 2010 • 1746 Posts

should we have to cry, or weep so that we could call a video game's story a "good story"?

the story is entertaining, the cutscenes are presented well.

just because we are not moved to tears doesn't mean a story is not good.

it is entertaining. at least it is interesting. Johnny wetting his pants when cofronted by the FROGS did in no way make me laugh, but at least it is better than a protagonist that does not talk, or an oversized space marine cussing and saying cheesy lines.

you get what i mean?

Bazooka_4ME

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 Bazooka_4ME
Member since 2008 • 2540 Posts

[QUOTE="Bazooka_4ME"]First of all, :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:....

Overall, MGS4 wasn't for everybody. If you never understood even a single game from its series then you wouldn't understand MGS4 at all. I'm positively sure Kevin V gave this game a 10/10 because he completely understood its story IMO.Verge_6

Well it's a very good reason for its fans as an anticipating conclusive to the series. Could you tell us what seperates games like Halo 3, Gears, UC, Mass Effect from everything else that would merit a generation-defining title?
Bazooka_4ME

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 Bazooka_4ME

[QUOTE="Filthybastrd"] Exactly what are we defending here?Verge_6

Well you practically just scrolled straight down the reasons I listed on why the game was that epic. I wasn't just nostalgic about the game. Some parts of the game like Act 4 and the final duel was epic enough to merit it the defining game of this generation. Tell us man, what game so far this gen was so epic that seperates it from any other games that have been released so far this gen?
Bazooka_4ME

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 Bazooka_4ME

should we have to cry, or weep so that we could call a video game's story a "good story"?

it is entertaining. at least it is interesting. Johnny wetting his pants when cofronted by the FROGS did in no way make me laugh, but at least it is better than a protagonist that does not talk, or an oversized space marine cussing and saying cheesy lines.

you get what i mean?

rawr89
lol dude,it's no surprise that the people who are hating or discrediting the game's achievement are the same people who bashed the game in the Hype Thread back in 2008.
sakura_Ex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 sakura_Ex
Member since 2007 • 3066 Posts

People are still upset over MGS4's score,huh?

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 Verge_6
. I wasn't just nostalgic about the game. Bazooka_4ME
That was essentially your entire wall-o-text. Hell, you mentioned "nostalgia" directly twice. You're talking to a long-time fan of the MGS franchise, so that doesn't exactly fly with me. Was MGS4 a good game? Yes. As good as it's touted on this board? By no means. Again, why is it the generation-defining title?
The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#136 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts

People are still upset over MGS4's score,huh?

sakura_Ex
Of course. No one would dare have a difference of opinion for any other reason. No sir.
Episode_Eve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 Episode_Eve
Member since 2004 • 16986 Posts

Because it got a 10, and GOTY on Gamespot. That's unprecedented. :P

---

I love MGS4 is for its creative and enjoyable story, which possesses commentary on world issues of the present/future, and various themes that compliment it (though, editing needs work). The cutscenes are fun to watch, and the characters / situations are always interesting--whether they be cool, funny, or quirky. Most importantly, though, is that the game provides you with a tremendous amount of control over Snake, and your progression. The feedback, and visuals are superb as well. Finally, nostalgia and fan service (so what, I said it) play a key roles in the experience (easter eggs being a nice supplementary feature). I think it's best played if you experienced the previous installments; a fitting end to Snake's story considering all of the s*** that had to be tied together, lol.

The game isn't without its faults, believe me, but that's not what you asked me, TC. :P

I know many may disagree with me, though. Good thing it doesn't bother me!

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 tagyhag

you get what i mean?

rawr89

Of course not, but people call it the best game this generation, or the best story that has ever been told, is it really bashing to ask people why objectively it was a masterpiece of a story?

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 Verge_6

[QUOTE="Verge_6"]

[QUOTE="Filthybastrd"] Exactly what are we defending here?Filthybastrd

I'll be happy to:

The gameplay itself, while not being entirely stealth or action, provides a very satisfying hybrid IMO which im combination with the settings and level design happens to strike my nostalgia nerve simultaeniously with my entertainment nerve.

Was I embarrased to have my wife watch me play through the whole Akiba/Meryll loveaction scene at the end? Yes, but certain other parts were absolutely epic. The fact that she for the most part found it exciting enough to watch also speaks volumes abit the feat they achieved with this diamond.

Remeber the laughing scene in FFX? I was damn happy to be all by myself when that cuscene polluted my TV but the game as a whole was still amazing. It's the same deal here.

What happens with the Naysayers is that they're unable to not focus on the cheese, something I personally think has a lot to do with culture and upbringing since they quite often are entirely able to love and enjoy games like Gears of War, Halo, Killzone and CoD.

Excuse grammar and spelling. english is a secondary language and I'm drunk.

Edit: In the end, for me, it's a matter of the sum being much greater than it's parts.

And as much as I love the game, it's lost it's "best game this gen" title to Demon's Souls which is a damn masterpiece.

Editedit: MGS4 is a 9/10 to me which is more than I'll credit most games with because I'm fair. Excellence is'nt something you do 50% of the time.

I don't think it's merely a matter of understanding different cultures. As mentioned, the TC lived in Japan for quite some time, and he wasn't completely floored by MGS4. I know of other native-Japanese that couldn't stand it, even.
Locutus_Picard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 Locutus_Picard
Member since 2004 • 4159 Posts

I agree. The story in MGS1 was already a hard act to follow...Kojima went beserk on MGS4. :P
But the gameplay is great and has wow'ed us all...therefore the deserved 10.

johny300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 johny300
Member since 2010 • 12496 Posts

TC made some good points, but like I could have predicted, alot of people responded with either nothing or pure stupidity.

The fact that people who act like it is one of the greatest things ever can't really explain theirselves is pretty telling.

GreySeal9
Lots of people explained you just act like you didn't hear what they said, who are you to say people's opinions are stupid hmm?
sakura_Ex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 sakura_Ex
Member since 2007 • 3066 Posts
[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

johny300
Lots of people explained you just act like you didn't hear what they said, who are you to say people's opinions are stupid hmm?

Ignorance is bliss.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Again, why is it the generation-defining title? Verge_6
Indeed. MGS4 is defining of the series - it wraps up everything into an actual conclusions and is regarded as the series formula wrapped up for a the current generation of consoles. But in no way is it 'generation defining'; It doesn't have remarkable design, technology or narrative - or influence behind it that elevates it to such a level; nor is it refined in such a way either.
AAllxxjjnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 AAllxxjjnn
Member since 2008 • 19992 Posts
Nostalgia, I guess. It was a huge disappointment for me.
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#145 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
Octocammo is the greatest innovation in the stealth genre since it began, imo. I loved it. And for all of the grousing about the cutscenes, I love how they are interactive and you can unlock easter eggs during them by using Mk II. And since I'm on the topic of Mk II, boy, what a great gameplay device he was. I totally disagree, MGS4 is absolutely a masterpiece, and will forever remain in my collection. It's one of the most replayable games ever.
sonicmj1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#146 sonicmj1
Member since 2003 • 9130 Posts

First of all, I'd like to thank everyone that gave a thought-out, detailed reply. :)

I'm not going to reply to all of them right away or individually, but I'm going to start here.

First of all, :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:....

Bazooka_4ME

Let's get a few things out of the way first.

Yes, I've played all the other Metal Gear Solid games, portable titles excepted. I'm familiar with the series. I know the plot and how everything fits together. I understood what all the nostalgia-grabs in the series were going for.

Yes, I'm familiar with Japanese story conventions. I've studied abroad in Japan for a semester, and many of my favorite games are Japanese. In 2010, I was very impressed with the stories in Nier and Deadly Premonition, for example. They had great characters and plotting that constantly subverted my expectations. And their cutscenes didn't go on for thirty minutes at a stretch. They don't waste eternities of time on exposition. They're good, focused plots that work on their own merits. Kind of like the story in MGS1, actually.

For you, at least, the game's constant callbacks to the past were good enough for you. Every time you saw a character you knew before, or witnessed a flashback to a scene from an earlier game, you felt fulfilled. Pretty much every major moment you list is entirely defined by a reference to an earlier Metal Gear. While I appreciated these things (returning to Shadow Moses and the final battle made excellent use of music), they didn't make up for the vapidity of what was actually happening.

Honestly, I'm not the sort of person that wants all the answers. MGS2 isn't a perfect game, but I really appreciated how Kojima created a title that intentionally left a lot of mysteries open. The answers to the mysteries aren't what's important, though. It's the experience, and what it communicates to the player. I don't have to know everything about Solidus to appreciate his futile attempt to break away from the Patriots, for instance. I don't have to understand why Fortune could deflect missiles even without her device, or why Ocelot was possessed by Liquid. The sequence of events aren't what makes a story interesting. It's about characters and how they respond, and what that response says.

For me, MGS4 sacrifices its characters, who have established pasts and personalities, for the sake of nostalgic callbacks to events, and for the sake of finding answers to the smallest questions. It was certainly quite a roller-coaster ride to follow as a player, but I don't feel like it really left me with anything at the end, which isn't how I feel about its predecessors. The game demanded so much of my time for the sake of plot, and returned little more than explosions and nostalgia. The game's most interesting plot nuggets and potential areas for expansion ("war economy", industrialized, controlled PMCs versus militias, or even the game's structure as a parallel to Kojima's history with the franchise) are shunted aside for fanservice and a tacked-on message about "breaking the cycle" that doesn't feel earned, because it's contained solely in an expository ending monologue.

As I said, I appreciated a lot of the gameplay, and some of the setpiece moments (like the mechs mentioned before) are very well-produced. But the plot really did nothing for me. I guess I'm just not as taken by those fanservice moments and callbacks as the rest of you. I like stories about people that can actually stand on their own, and have something to say.

hoplayletsplay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 hoplayletsplay
Member since 2005 • 983 Posts
MGS4 added so much more to the whole MGS story for me. It's understandable if people haven't played any of the game before wouldn't like the story of the MGS4 as much. The gameplay is pretty much topnotch as a MGS game, however, I think the level design could have been better. Aside from that, my only real complain is the length of the game, wish there're more levels to explore around.
Crystal-Rush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 Crystal-Rush
Member since 2005 • 2274 Posts
It's a great game. I even bought it a second time just a few weeks ago after selling it originally. The story is a little convoluted unless your quite familiar with the whole MGS universe. Also the world of MG does seem a bit outrageous in design and lore, but that adds to the epicness of it all. Overall, it's almost brilliant
mccoyca112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 mccoyca112
Member since 2007 • 5434 Posts

[QUOTE="DreamCryotank"]

Claiming MGS4 is the game of the generation is pure hyperbole though. Maybe to the most dedicated of MGS fans, but coming from someone who loves the series but isn't biased, it's not the best game this gen, imo.

spookykid143

Or you know a opinion

When it comes down to it, a simple response like this is the truth. Someone can spend an hour listing bullet points down to the teeth on why they think its the greatest game ever made, and you will always have people that say no. Not a single game is any different. Im guessing that review score(which literally means...or shouldnt mean nothing) is still eating at people.

Its not my favorite of the gen, or even in the series personally though.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29827 Posts

Wow...so 8 pages and all we've figured out is that people have different tastes and opinions. Ahh, SW, don't ever change. :P