Why do Cows Bash Achievements?

• 63 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 Saturos3091
Member since 2005 • 14937 Posts

[QUOTE="Saturos3091"]Somewhat true, but it also shows their apathy towards gaming if they find bragging and competition the only worthwhile activity it offers.

Really, why play games if all you want to do is brag about them? Especially if the games aren't fun to begin with, then why continue playing them if all you're going to do is brag?
Tragic_Kingdom7

You forget the fact that some people are drawn to video games, because of the competition factor. Same with sports.

People aren't drawn to video games, because they're fun. People are drawn to video games, because they find certain aspects of them fun. For some people, that aspect is competition.

Well those people should learn to host their own matches and stay the hell out of mine. :P It's not like you have the option to kick people in certain games either...

At least CoD4 was a step in the right direction. Singleplayer achievements only. That's the way it should be done.
Avatar image for Tragic_Kingdom7
Tragic_Kingdom7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 Tragic_Kingdom7
Member since 2008 • 4011 Posts

I think achievements/trophy's are a great way to add reply value.....If cows are bashing them...then i would not expect them to after PSN add's the feature.

masiisam

That'll certainly be good for a laugh. I'll be keeping track of the cows that bashed them in here and then praise the throphies later and I'll expose them if I can remember.

But I'll probably forget.

FragTycoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 FragTycoon
Member since 2008 • 6430 Posts

I'll treat trophies with the same neglect I do for achievements. I don't require validation of my gaming skill from anyone. I already know how good or bad I am.

having these "achievements" outside of the game can only be used as a outward show of vanity. It fits in well with the attitude of many gamers now days. But, personally, I could give a rat's.... butt.

Avatar image for Tragic_Kingdom7
Tragic_Kingdom7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Tragic_Kingdom7
Member since 2008 • 4011 Posts

Well those people should learn to host their own matches and stay the hell out of mine. :P It's not like you have the option to kick people in certain games either...

At least CoD4 was a step in the right direction. Singleplayer achievements only. That's the way it should be done.
Saturos3091

Well, personally, I would just own those people while they bicker amongst themselves.

It's what I do on PSN when people talk **** I just let them distract themselves by bickering, and I win the match silently.

I ALWAYS win in COD4 when people bicker.

blueNYshield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 blueNYshield
Member since 2008 • 420 Posts
I dont hate um, I actually think they are pretty kewl. Be kewl to have them on PS3 games, I mean they cant negate the game in any sence, only add some legs
John_Keyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 John_Keyes
Member since 2004 • 55 Posts
[QUOTE="Technoweirdo"]

[QUOTE="double-taketake"]Achievements are fun to get, they add playing time to games and it's fun to compare and show off your gaming accomplishments among friends. Who cares if you don't get anything tangible for them? You get the satisfaction of obtaining themst1ka

Achievements don't add playing time to games,

they add replay value, if you dont use them fine, but for me it gives me more bang for my buck, it makes my games last longer

also that facepalm picture was really inapropriate, basically you just said people cant form their own opinions

Why do cows bash achievements?The same reason lemmings bash blu-ray.While they're both not needed, they greatly add a new wave of potential to each its own, so if lemmings complain about this, they have no right to complain about blu-ray...

Complaining about blu-ray is like saying 'Why have 50 dollar ?Why not just have 8 dollars availible each?50 dollars is not needed, bla bla bla, sure it's not needed, but it damn sure helps...

Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts

They only get bashed because lemmings use them as a reason for why a 360 game is better than a PS3 game

They arn't a BAD thing but :lol:lol if people really spend times boring themselves with a trivial task in a game just to get an acheivment

f50p90
agree with this guy...plus its rather annoying having somone frag tag u round after round just cause he wants an acheivment haha hated those days
st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 st1ka
Member since 2008 • 8179 Posts
[QUOTE="st1ka"][QUOTE="Technoweirdo"]

[QUOTE="double-taketake"]Achievements are fun to get, they add playing time to games and it's fun to compare and show off your gaming accomplishments among friends. Who cares if you don't get anything tangible for them? You get the satisfaction of obtaining themJohn_Keyes

they add replay value, if you dont use them fine, but for me it gives me more bang for my buck, it makes my games last longer

also that facepalm picture was really inapropriate, basically you just said people cant form their own opinions

Why do cows bash achievements?The same reason lemmings bash blu-ray.While they're both not needed, they greatly add a new wave of potential to each its own, so if lemmings complain about this, they have no right to complain about blu-ray...

Complaining about blu-ray is like saying 'Why have 50 dollar ?Why not just have 8 dollars availible each?50 dollars is not needed, bla bla bla, sure it's not needed, but it damn sure helps...

blu-ray makes the PS3 100 euros more expensive, made the loadings laster longer and created forced instalations on consoles

achievements did not alter the price and are optional

Avatar image for deactivated-586249e1b64ba
deactivated-586249e1b64ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 deactivated-586249e1b64ba
Member since 2004 • 7629 Posts
[QUOTE="Technoweirdo"]

[QUOTE="double-taketake"]Achievements are fun to get, they add playing time to games and it's fun to compare and show off your gaming accomplishments among friends. Who cares if you don't get anything tangible for them? You get the satisfaction of obtaining themst1ka

Do you even understand the logic behind my statement? Try reading my first post in this thread in it's entirety.

Also, that facepalm was directed at the "add playing time" statement and nothing else. It wasn't directed at the opinion of getting achievements being fun (Fun varies from person to person after all.).

st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 st1ka

[QUOTE="double-taketake"]Achievements are fun to get, they add playing time to games and it's fun to compare and show off your gaming accomplishments among friends. Who cares if you don't get anything tangible for them? You get the satisfaction of obtaining themTechnoweirdo

Do you even understand the logic behind my statement? Try reading my first post in this thread in it's entirety.

Also, that facepalm was directed at the "add playing time" statement and nothing else. It wasn't directed at the opinion of getting achievements being fun (Fun varies from person to person after all.).

looks like you were the one that didnt read my post, and it wasnt that long either. Achievements add replay value, which in turn adds playing time

Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Saturos3091
Member since 2005 • 14937 Posts

[QUOTE="Saturos3091"]Well those people should learn to host their own matches and stay the hell out of mine. :P It's not like you have the option to kick people in certain games either...

Tragic_Kingdom7

Well, personally, I would just own those people while they bicker amongst themselves.

It's what I do on PSN when people talk **** I just let them distract themselves by bickering, and I win the match silently.

I ALWAYS win in COD4 when people bicker.

Nice, well you see in games like Gears of War where it used to happen most, and you can't kick them. So they come in, and block the doorway to a room where a weapon is so that you can't leave (there's no team damage either) until you drop the weapon you're holding so they can get ## kills with it so they get their achievement. So you're sitting there telling them that you grabbed the weapon, it's fair game, and that you want to help your teammates (who are probably getting slaughtered, because 2v4 isn't winning odds), and he'll just stand there squealing into the microphone until you drop the weapon. They're usually a younger gamer (like 12 or younger, some I've seen were under 8 ).

This happens in Chromehounds as well, where Squads are based off of "boosting" for capture points so their squad gets 1st during a war, garnering them several achievements and putting them closer to a valor achievement (maxing RT skill with a roletype). These people never play against other players, but just boost by fighting CPUs in 1v1 matches (to raise the squad rank).

This is also a common occurence in pretty much any online 360 title (Halo 3, FEAR, etc. I've seen it in as well).

It's quite easy to boost in most games, get a friend or two in a 1v1 and just complete what the achievement's description says. A lot of people do it on XBL and while it is a cheap way to get achievements, at least it keeps them out of matches where people are playing for competition/fun.

De_Bears

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 De_Bears
Member since 2002 • 1593 Posts
Achievements are interesting to me, as long as I can build a unique profile or character. I don't get the obsessive point stacking that people get into.
Avatar image for deactivated-586249e1b64ba
deactivated-586249e1b64ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 deactivated-586249e1b64ba
Member since 2004 • 7629 Posts
[QUOTE="Technoweirdo"]

st1ka

looks like you were the one that didnt read my post, and it wasnt that long either. Achievements add replay value, which in turn adds playing time

*Sighs* It seems like you didn't read my first post. I'll cut to the example

Let's take a multiplatform game for example, say Grand Theft Auto IV. The 360 version has achievements, the PS3 version doesn't. However, as of right now, you can do just about everything in either version, be it surviving for five minutes while being chased by N.O.O.S.E., or killing all the pigeons. The only difference is that in the 360 version, you get a message saying you got unlocked an achievement.

Technoweirdo

I don't see how the 360 version has more replay value than the PS3 version when you can do everything the other version can do.

st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 st1ka

Technoweirdo

*Sighs* It seems like you didn't read my first post. I'll cut to the example

Let's take a multiplatform game for example, say Grand Theft Auto IV. The 360 version has achievements, the PS3 version doesn't. However, as of right now, you can do just about everything in either version, be it surviving for five minutes while being chased by N.O.O.S.E., or killing all the pigeons. The only difference is that in the 360 version, you get a message saying you got unlocked an achievement.

Technoweirdo

I don't see how the 360 version has more replay value than the PS3 version when you can do everything the other version can do.

The fact that there are more optional "objectives" add to the replay value its that simple