Why do Cows Bash Achievements?

• 63 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for double-taketake
double-taketake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 double-taketake
Member since 2006 • 278 Posts
Achievements are fun to get, they add playing time to games and it's fun to compare and show off your gaming accomplishments among friends. Who cares if you don't get anything tangible for them? You get the satisfaction of obtaining them
thegoldenpoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 thegoldenpoo
Member since 2005 • 5136 Posts
whats with the sig? scam much?
Avatar image for II-FBIsniper-II
II-FBIsniper-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 II-FBIsniper-II
Member since 2005 • 18067 Posts

They dont. :?

That's why they are hyped for trophies.

kejigoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#4 kejigoto
Member since 2004 • 2735 Posts

Achievements are fun to get, they add playing time to games and it's fun to compare and show off your gaming accomplishments among friends. Who cares if you don't get anything tangible for them? You get the satisfaction of obtaining themdouble-taketake

I'd be mad too if someone was enjoying a feature I was promised and yet has been pushed back so many times people are starting to wonder if it'll ever see the light of day.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#5 Arkthemaniac
Member since 2007 • 1237 Posts
I'm not a cow, but achievements suck. If people didn't care so much, then fine. But some people get trash talked because they don't feel like getting 5 million frag tags in Gears of War.
f50p90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 f50p90
Member since 2008 • 3767 Posts

They only get bashed because lemmings use them as a reason for why a 360 game is better than a PS3 game

They arn't a BAD thing but :lol:lol if people really spend times boring themselves with a trivial task in a game just to get an acheivment

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
Cows bash achievements? If you say so, can't say I've really seen them do that. I don't really care about achievements but I'm interested to see how the PS3's trophy system works out.
whackedjob213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#8 whackedjob213
Member since 2006 • 2103 Posts
It's like a trophy and I already ahve so many trophies that I couldn't care less about them. Also if you need to prove your worth by obtaining random things like kill 50 000 zombies in Dead Rising just so you can sleep at night, I feel sorry for you.
Avatar image for Tragic_Kingdom7
Tragic_Kingdom7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Tragic_Kingdom7
Member since 2008 • 4011 Posts

It's like a trophy and I already ahve so many trophies that I couldn't care less about them. Also if you need to prove your worth by obtaining random things like kill 50 000 zombies in Dead Rising just so you can sleep at night, I feel sorry for you.whackedjob213

Alot of people would say "I feel sorry for you" for playing video games period.

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts
If they do, it's because they don't have them. That's how this board works.
legend26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 legend26
Member since 2007 • 16010 Posts

im not a cow but even i think achievments suck, they serve absolutley no purpose....

plus the more achievements you have = the less of a life you have:P

J/K

Tragic_Kingdom7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Tragic_Kingdom7

If they do, it's because they don't have them. That's how this board works.Verge_6

I would tend to agree in this case because there's no real reason to bash them. They don't detract from anything and for many people, they add to the experience.

Sure, one can be uninterested in them, but as I said, there's nothing bash-worthy about them.

ONLYDOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13 ONLYDOD
Member since 2006 • 6026 Posts
I don't think they a bad feature, but back when I had a 360 they got kind of addictive and everytime I bought a new game before I played it I would look at the achievements and see how I could get them whilst I progressed, so everytime I went to play a new game I would find myself playing for the achievements. And some people I know acted pretty arrogant because they had bigger gamerscores than most of the people I played with, although they do enable bragging rights to a certain extent a definite side affect of achievements seemed to be arrogance. And even at the risk of sounding hypocritical I would gladly welcome trophies or an achievement like system on the PS3 providing they aren't addictive and have more creative requirements instead of just being "kill 500 people in Resistance".
Tragic_Kingdom7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Tragic_Kingdom7

im not a cow but even i think achievments suck, they serve absolutley no purpose....

plus the more achievements you have = the less of a life you have:P

J/K

legend26

Playing video games in general serve no purpose. An achievement is merely an objective done at will and for kicks. Just like video games in general.

To continue on the train of logic that "achievements serve no purpose" will lead to circular logic, because the only real purpose of a game is to entertain. Achievements entertain some people.

niall077

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 niall077
Member since 2006 • 1729 Posts

they dont bash them.

they just dont see them as super important to the "game playing" thing

lordxymor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 lordxymor
Member since 2004 • 2438 Posts

I think achievement and trophies are all overhyped and mostly useless, but they have their niche.

Then again, I like playing games for fun and not so much for bragging rights.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts
If they do, it's because they don't have them. That's how this board works.Verge_6
Basically.
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 crunchUK
Member since 2007 • 3050 Posts
i've ssen some very original achievements like win a split screen race in reverse on PGR. and some very stupid ones like "climb to the top of solo leaderboard (32G) on GRAW. and some very generous ones like complete campaign on legendary on halo 3 for nearly 500 gamerscore (including the achievements for level completions).
Avatar image for II-FBIsniper-II
II-FBIsniper-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 II-FBIsniper-II
Member since 2005 • 18067 Posts

I think achievement and trophies are all overhyped and mostly useless, but they have their niche.

lordxymor
Did you ever think *gasp* that some people think getting achievements is fun?
Tykain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Tykain
Member since 2008 • 3887 Posts
I think achievements (Or trophies) are just a gimmick, and lems talk about it like it was the best thing that ever came to video games.
Avatar image for deactivated-586249e1b64ba
deactivated-586249e1b64ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-586249e1b64ba
Member since 2004 • 7629 Posts

Achievements are fun to get, they add playing time to games and it's fun to compare and show off your gaming accomplishments among friends. Who cares if you don't get anything tangible for them? You get the satisfaction of obtaining themdouble-taketake

Achievements don't add playing time to games, they're just guidelines for things you can do. Let's take a multiplatform game for example, say Grand Theft Auto IV. The 360 version has achievements, the PS3 version doesn't. However, as of right now, you can do just about everything in either version, be it surviving for five minutes while being chased by N.O.O.S.E., or killing all the pigeons. The only difference is that in the 360 version, you get a message saying you got unlocked an achievement.

Theoretically, if I were a developer at Rockstar and reviewers factored in achievements for value, I could create an achievement requiring you to kill four billion people in Grand Theft Auto IV and thus create the longest game ever made.

-Spock-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 -Spock-
Member since 2006 • 7072 Posts

I'm sure they will change their tune once Home trophies come out.

AgentA-Mi6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23 AgentA-Mi6
Member since 2006 • 16713 Posts
Why would anyone bash them :?, isnt the Ps3 getting something similar in 2012 when home comes out?
ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts

It's like a trophy and I already ahve so many trophies that I couldn't care less about them. Also if you need to prove your worth by obtaining random things like kill 50 000 zombies in Dead Rising just so you can sleep at night, I feel sorry for you.whackedjob213

Awesome! I got that achievement, I am proud due the fact I got in-game unlock for doing it; plus score increase. Why wouldn't something like to tote around some amazing feat. I like it, now I can run around using my real Mega Man Buster and increase the replay of Dead Rising, thanks to an achievement.

Achievements are great if they are done right. Lets look at another case similiar to Dead Rising of unlocking thing, Mass Effect unlocks a quite a bit of stuff with each achievement, making the game more customable and add replays with each new altered class.

Even achievements without some sorta of unlocking of anything can be great. Look at the Orange Box. Can we say "Ravenholme with only a Gravity gun." Isn't that a remarking feat to be have tagged on your list of achievements? This why I like them, it shows you can help you play in dramatical diferent way.

I don't support achievements that involve simple tasks or ridious repetive tasks either. But if they are creative and have some challenge to them, go for it.

lordxymor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 lordxymor
Member since 2004 • 2438 Posts
[QUOTE="lordxymor"]

II-FBIsniper-II

Did you ever think *gasp* that some people think getting achievements is fun?

*gasp* I do, that why I said it has its niche...

Tragic_Kingdom7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Tragic_Kingdom7
It's not that achievements add playing time (though for some it can enhance play), it's just another cool feature that the 360 has like custom soundtracks.
djxaquaxblue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 djxaquaxblue
Member since 2004 • 2539 Posts

They dont. :?

That's why they are hyped for trophies.

II-FBIsniper-II

I could careless for those trophies and Ive always though achievements are pointless. Oh yay....I played this game 20 million times to get 24/7 achievement....all those times getting achievements i could use it doing something else like hanging out with friends or something. not only will you get achievements by playing the a game so much, your electric bill is guna be going up to.

djxaquaxblue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 djxaquaxblue
Member since 2004 • 2539 Posts

It's not that achievements add playing time (though for some it can enhance play), it's just another cool feature that the 360 has like custom soundtracks. Tragic_Kingdom7

in game music XMB is freakin awesome!

Tragic_Kingdom7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Tragic_Kingdom7

I could careless for those trophies and Ive always though achievements are pointless. Oh yay....I played this game 20 million times to get 24/7 achievement....all those times getting achievements i could use it doing something else like hanging out with friends or something. not only will you get achievements by playing the a game so much, your electric bill is guna be going up to. djxaquaxblue

I don't get this.

Playing enough video games peiod will compromise your social life and run up the electric bill.

Why single achievements out? You assume that getting them means that you pours hours and hours into it. Some people get them as they go along.

You get as much out of it as you put into it.

Avatar image for deactivated-586249e1b64ba
deactivated-586249e1b64ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-586249e1b64ba
Member since 2004 • 7629 Posts

[QUOTE="whackedjob213"]It's like a trophy and I already ahve so many trophies that I couldn't care less about them. Also if you need to prove your worth by obtaining random things like kill 50 000 zombies in Dead Rising just so you can sleep at night, I feel sorry for you.ArisShadows

Awesome! I got that achievement, I am proud due the fact I got in-game unlock for doing it; plus score increase. Why wouldn't something like to tote around some amazing feat. I like it, now I can run around using my real Mega Man Buster and increase the replay of Dead Rising, thanks to an achievement.

Achievements are great if they are done right. Lets look at another case similiar to Dead Rising of unlocking thing, Mass Effect unlocks a quite a bit of stuff with each achievement, making the game more customable and add replays with each new altered class.

Even achievements without some sorta of unlocking of anything can be great. Look at the Orange Box. Can we say "Ravenholme with only a Gravity gun." Isn't that a remarking feat to be have tagged on your list of achievements? This why I like them, it shows you can help you play in dramatical diferent way.

I don't support achievements that involve simple tasks or ridious repetive tasks either. But if they are creative and have some challenge to them, go for it.

Worst seventy-two hours (In-game time.) of Dead Rising ever (Never attempted 7-Day Survivor). :evil:

Again, I'm going to disagree with that. Speaking theoretically, if there were another version of Dead Rising with the lack of achievements being the only difference, you could still get the Real Mega Buster (Man isn't in the name. :P), it's just that you wouldn't know what to do to get it unless you look online.

Your other comment with regards to Half-Life 2 though is what I agree with. Achievements are nothing more than guidelines but they tell you things you wouldn't have thought of otherwise.

Mau-Justice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Mau-Justice
Member since 2008 • 4907 Posts

This.

I'd rather have the option of achievements than nothing at all, so I don't mind them.

Relys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Relys
Member since 2005 • 4426 Posts

They already have achievements.

Look at Uncharted, Heavenly Sword, and Resistance.

Not do they work the same way to earn as Achievements.. They actualy unlock extra features and cheats.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts
I have not seen achievement bashing in awhile and as far as not getting anything for it that's your own fault. I have won points cards(both 1600 AND 4000), T-shirts, and even a copy of a crappy game(fusion Frenzy 2 lol) that I traded in for $30 in credit. There are always achievement point contests going on all you have to do is search google for the current ones.
clintos59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 clintos59
Member since 2008 • 1320 Posts

Maybe for the same reason lemmings bash PSN for being free. U can go both ways. Besides achievements is nothing new, if any of u lemmings who brag about achievements would play through the whole game of many titles u would know the satisfaction of what u achieved and what u earned for achieving those goals for example Resident Evil 4, when u have beaten the game it unlocks guns and stuff u can buy these with the money u earn. Also devil may cry 4 is a good example of achievements u can earn after beating the game. U see MS created this because alot of users who own there console would just skip the single player and just jump online to play the multiplayer.

A very good example of this is I remember the original xbox, xbox fans didnt dig jrpg games and mgs games and those are very powerful games with the single player which is a big reason alot of 360 owners still bash final fantasy and mgs games now because they will never understand just how deep the story is driven in these games. Also look at the change lost odyssey has done for 360 owners. I mean they finally got to find out just how deep a story driven game can take a game to the next level of gaming. Its not always about graphics or gameplay, if the story is amazing, and have all those other things added to it, it just makes the whole expirience that much better and rememberal. This is why alot of 360 owners seem to think achievements is so big when in reality, gamers who play games for the full expirience and not just because of its online features, already know how it feels when u achieve those goals. Me personally, my achievements are set very high and I love games that are challenging, which is why I love ninja gaiden and devil may cry and any game that alot of casual gamers dont seem to like because of its difficulty. I love them because when I beat the game on its hardest difficulty then I feel I have achieved the best achievement u can accomplish in a game and that is beating a game like ninja gaiden, devil may cry 3 in its hardest difficulty settings and completiting everything in final fantasy finding every little thing u can find completing the game 100% with out using cheat codes. Thats how much my goals are put when playing any game. This is why achievements for me on my 360 doesnt mean much to me because they are easy achievements to pull off and nothing new.

Dante865

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Dante865
Member since 2005 • 4196 Posts

Really? As a cow, i love the Achievement system for the 360 - Although it could actually reward you something, a lá 6 month free LIVE etc. along them lines...

Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Saturos3091
Member since 2005 • 14937 Posts
It trivializes online play and doesn't help a games community any. Sure it may add last-play value, but if you've ever played online you'd see the damage to a community these pointless "achievements" cause.

It's sad when some people are so obsessed with them they claim that they don't play games for fun any longer, only for achievements.
Avatar image for double-taketake
double-taketake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 double-taketake
Member since 2006 • 278 Posts

It trivializes online play and doesn't help a games community any. Sure it may add last-play value, but if you've ever played online you'd see the damage to a community these pointless "achievements" cause.

It's sad when some people are so obsessed with them they claim that they don't play games for fun any longer, only for achievements.
Saturos3091

But if they want to play only for achievements, and enjoy getting them, why take them out?

Tragic_Kingdom7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Tragic_Kingdom7

Saturos3091

I don't find that sad at all. But I do find that this logic is circular. You say that they aren't playing for fun, but I would challenge that, because it seems to me that competition and bragging is an activity they find fun and worthwhile.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts
i did that for the wepon not just the acevement but some acevements are stupid lke survive for 7 days on dead rising its just to hard and anoying
Theclub83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Theclub83
Member since 2007 • 185 Posts

I would rather have unlockable shirts and hats etc in home then trophies. the best thing they could do is unlock characters from games after you beat them. imagine running around as solid snake!

physical things would be better then trophies and much better then pixels imho.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

I would rather have unlockable shirts and hats etc in home then trophies. the best thing they could do is unlock characters from games after you beat them. imagine running around as solid snake!

physical things would be better then trophies and much better then pixels imho.

Theclub83
congratulations you beat call of duty 4 your golden tank will be here shortly
Tragic_Kingdom7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Tragic_Kingdom7

I think the scope of this argument is too limited.

It's not the achievements in and of themselves that give the 360 points, it's the fact that they are there for one to indulge in.

The 360 seems to have a good set of features and it should get props for that atleast.

Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Saturos3091
Member since 2005 • 14937 Posts

[QUOTE="Saturos3091"]It trivializes online play and doesn't help a games community any. Sure it may add last-play value, but if you've ever played online you'd see the damage to a community these pointless "achievements" cause.

Tragic_Kingdom7

I don't find that sad at all. But I do find that this logic is circular. You say that they aren't playing for fun, but I would challenge that, because it seems to me that competition and bragging is an activity they find fun and worthwhile.

Somewhat true, but it also shows their apathy towards gaming if they find bragging and competition the only worthwhile activity it offers.

Really, why play games if all you want to do is brag about them? Especially if the games aren't fun to begin with, then why continue playing them if all you're going to do is brag? There are other things you can brag about. Do something else and brag about it, don't come into my online match and ruin the game for everyone by teamkilling or trash-talking just so you can get a weapon for an achievement.
finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts
I can live with or without them. Its just annoying when lems use it as a reason why the game is superior on 360. When its the lamest reason.
st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 st1ka
Member since 2008 • 8179 Posts

I think achievements (Or trophies) are just a gimmick, and lems talk about it like it was the best thing that ever came to video games.Tykain

well... points in videogames were just a gimick.... but damn does it feel good to score 100K on pacman

masiisam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 masiisam
Member since 2003 • 5723 Posts

I think achievements/trophy's are a great way to add replay value.....If cows are bashing them...then I would not expect them to after PSN add's the feature.

st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 st1ka
Member since 2008 • 8179 Posts

[QUOTE="double-taketake"]Achievements are fun to get, they add playing time to games and it's fun to compare and show off your gaming accomplishments among friends. Who cares if you don't get anything tangible for them? You get the satisfaction of obtaining themTechnoweirdo

Achievements don't add playing time to games,

they add replay value, if you dont use them fine, but for me it gives me more bang for my buck, it makes my games last longer

also that facepalm picture was really inapropriate, basically you just said people cant form their own opinions

Tragic_Kingdom7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Tragic_Kingdom7

Somewhat true, but it also shows their apathy towards gaming if they find bragging and competition the only worthwhile activity it offers.

Really, why play games if all you want to do is brag about them? Especially if the games aren't fun to begin with, then why continue playing them if all you're going to do is brag?
Saturos3091

You forget the fact that some people are drawn to video games, because of the competition factor. Same with sports.

People aren't drawn to video games, because they're fun. People are drawn to video games, because they find certain aspects of them fun. For some people, that aspect is competition.

Thompsonwhore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Thompsonwhore
Member since 2003 • 2059 Posts

I don't dislike achievements since I'm a diehard completist, but I wish you got something more useable rather than just some points.

I like the idea of trophies in Home, but it's hardly better.

I think both are a waste of time, really.

But it's inevitable that I'll be getting all the trophies I can when Home comes out.