Why do console gamers not like the strategy genre?

• 61 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The__MCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 The__MCP
Member since 2007 • 757 Posts

So consoles are matching most of my PC games these days... at least with first-person shooters. I was able to play FF11, a solid MMORPG, on my PS2. Oblivion saw the same stellar graphics on 360/PS3 that it did with the PC.

But.... with the exception of a few real-time strategy ports, I have yet to see any real attempt by consoles to adapt the strategy genre that PC is well known for. Until consoles bring games like Europa Universalis, Starcraft, Total War, etc to their systems, I will always keep my PC handy for this terrific genre.

Is the average console gamer IQ and age just a lot lower than a PC gamer's? I don't mean to flame, but it feels that way with the games that are popular on consoles, and especially when I see how much they simplified an EXTREMELY popular PC strategy game like Civilization.

They DO sell well on PC, so there is a market for them. Most strategy games require far less system power than a new first-person shooter. What gives? You dudes who only play your PS3 or 360 not up for a strategy game? :?

cobrax75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 cobrax75
Member since 2007 • 8389 Posts
Oblivion did not look the same on the consoles as it did on the PC.....
PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts
C&C3? BFME2? Halo Wars? Sup Com? WiC? EndWar? And those are just from this gen.
The__MCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 The__MCP

Oblivion did not look the same on the consoles as it did on the PC.....cobrax75

It looked close enough to me that I didn't feel like I would lose anything playing on the console versions. The only thing I knew I would lose out on are the mods which have been pretty impressive since Morrowind.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts
Even as console gamer i play them there they belongs... on the PC that is.
dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#6 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16028 Posts
They're boring and take too long to learn. I once played Starcraft for about 40 mins before I quit.
The__MCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 The__MCP

They're boring and take too long to learn. I once played Starcraft for about 40 mins before I quit.dracula_16

Starcraft takes about 15 minutes to learn. :|

About as simple as you can get. True, it takes months to master online, but the game mechanics are fairly easy to learn.

thrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 thrones
Member since 2004 • 12178 Posts
They mostly don't handle very good.
mo0ksi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 mo0ksi
Member since 2007 • 12337 Posts
They're boring and take too long to learn. I once played Starcraft for about 40 mins before I quit.dracula_16
They take too long to learn but yet you barely took the time to actually give a game a shot...
Prid3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 Prid3r
Member since 2004 • 8643 Posts
Strategies on Consoles are like Action adventure ( NG , GoW , DMC ) on PC !
dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 dracula_16

[QUOTE="dracula_16"]They're boring and take too long to learn. I once played Starcraft for about 40 mins before I quit.The__MCP

About as simple as you can get. True, it takes months to master online, but the game mechanics are fairly easy to learn.

I was new to the RTS genre at the time. Before Starcraft, the closing thing to strategy games that I played were those Theme park Tycoon games.

Pariah_001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Pariah_001
Member since 2003 • 4850 Posts
I love RTSs. Just not on my console. That's why I consolidate my RTS gameplay to my PC.
yujast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 yujast
Member since 2008 • 93 Posts

[QUOTE="cobrax75"]Oblivion did not look the same on the consoles as it did on the PC.....The__MCP

It looked close enough to me that I didn't feel like I would lose anything playing on the console versions. The only thing I knew I would lose out on are the mods which have been pretty impressive since Morrowind.

No it looked nothing like it. Check these pics out:

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6148788/index.html

Prid3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14 Prid3r
Member since 2004 • 8643 Posts
[QUOTE="The__MCP"]

[QUOTE="dracula_16"]They're boring and take too long to learn. I once played Starcraft for about 40 mins before I quit.dracula_16

I was new to the RTS genre at the time. Before Starcraft, the closing thing to strategy games that I played were those Theme park Tycoon games.

better just say u had no experience at all !

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#15 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

The genre doesn't interest me. I just don't find any appeal in having one army wage war with another. Much rather go on solo missions. 8) lol

I am planning on giving the genre a try though with Starcraft pretty soon since it will run on my macbook (should, at least) and the three roommates I have play it plus Starcraft 2 is coming and they will be playing that constantly.

yujast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 yujast
C&C3? BFME2? Halo Wars? Sup Com? WiC? EndWar? And those are just from this gen.PBSnipes
C&C3 is pretty medicore, BFME2 is the same, Halo wars no idea, probably dumbed down alot too, SupCom is boring cause it's way too much building, WiC involves no strategy and Endwar is probably the same as Halo.
_ADIVA_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 _ADIVA_
Member since 2008 • 112 Posts
I think the lack of control support makes strategy games harder and fewer on consoles. Mouse control is still far too superior for these kinds of games.
Gesyma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Gesyma
Member since 2003 • 1082 Posts
I like em... they're just hard to pull of with a gamepad...
sjla2k5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 sjla2k5
Member since 2004 • 334 Posts
I love RTS games, I bought Age of Empires 3 and my computer can barley run it....lol, but there arnt many ones I care for at all on consoles which kinda sucks because I would buy one..... if it was worth it.
yujast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 yujast
I think the lack of control support makes strategy games harder and fewer on consoles. Mouse control is still far too superior for these kinds of games._ADIVA_
What do you mean "still for these types of games"? It's still better for alot of other genres too like FPSs.
Nick-N4ck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Nick-N4ck
Member since 2008 • 172 Posts

Is the average console gamer IQ and age just a lot lower than a PC gamer's? I don't mean to flame, but it feels that wayThe__MCP

Can't take you seriously when you talk about people like that.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts
Simple: Gamepads aren't exactly optimized for Strategy games. The Wii-Mote does show promise, just imagine a general directing orders on a map using a laser pointer.
yujast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 yujast
Simple: Gamepads aren't exactly optimized for Strategy games. The Wii-Mote does show promise, just imagine a general directing orders on a map using a laser pointer.hiphops_savior
Yea but strategy games are much, much more then just pointing out directions. Ever play Starcraft or Company of Heroes?
Nick-N4ck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Nick-N4ck
Member since 2008 • 172 Posts

There are plenty of strategy games on consoles, such as the Command and Conquer series, Lord of the rings, plus every console gamer has a PC capable of running Starcraft, Age of empires, C&C, I fail to see the point of this topic. It's like saying why don't PC gamers like Mario or Ninja Gaiden, too hard for them ?

It's just a stupid discussion to have,

_ADIVA_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 _ADIVA_
Member since 2008 • 112 Posts

What do you mean "still for these types of games"? It's still better for alot of other genres too like FPSs.

Simple, there are still no better control options better for strategy games or fps as you said, then mouse control and since no one has really adapted this kind of control for consoles, strategy games will always be harder to play. That's why Pc is the main platform for these types of games.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts
...we dont? im pretty sure behind rpgs strat games are my favorite genre...
EddieTheGreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 EddieTheGreat
Member since 2007 • 270 Posts
I am mostly a console gamer, but I play games like Age of Empires on the PC. Strategy games are best suited to the PC
3KindgomsRandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 3KindgomsRandy
Member since 2005 • 15488 Posts

[QUOTE="The__MCP"] Is the average console gamer IQ and age just a lot lower than a PC gamer's? I don't mean to flame, but it feels that wayNick-N4ck

Can't take you seriously when you talk about people like that.

Yeah, that's really uncool. There's no correlation between a person's gaming preferences and their IQ. Different genres entertain different people, simple as that.

Personally, I hate most RTS games. Give me Civilization, Master of Orion, or X-Com any day of the week.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
Member since 2002 • 7110 Posts
I'm a console gamer......but I love RTS.......on my PC. :D
The__MCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 The__MCP

There are plenty of strategy games on consoles, such as the Command and Conquer series, Lord of the rings, plus every console gamer has a PC capable of running Starcraft, Age of empires, C&C, I fail to see the point of this topic. It's like saying why don't PC gamers like Mario or Ninja Gaiden, too hard for them ?

Nick-N4ck

Because 99% of PC gamers don't have a gamepad and you need one to play Ninja Gaiden or Super Mario. I tried Prince of Persia's PC version with keyboard controls and it was horrible. Which of course would be the argument for the RTS genre since mouse/keyboard works so well for that although i would argue the same for shooters but consoles have managed to adapt. Turn-based strategy there is no excuse. A gamepad could easily work.

vash47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 vash47
Member since 2007 • 2171 Posts

"Boring and take to long to learn"

/facepalm

Do people this times have so short attention spans?

And if you thought Starcraft takes too much to learn, I can really LAUGH OUT LOUD, then try playing Sins, MTW, etc.

jangojay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 jangojay
Member since 2007 • 4044 Posts

Nick-N4ck

Because there are strategy games on consoles don't mean they are liked. How much has CNC3 sold on Xbox or Lord of teh rings?

Avatar image for nintendofreak_2
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#33 nintendofreak_2
Member since 2005 • 25896 Posts

Generally speaking, RTS titles suck on consoles.

Also I love Age of Empires. :)

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 dracula_16

[QUOTE="dracula_16"]They're boring and take too long to learn. I once played Starcraft for about 40 mins before I quit.vash47

"Boring and take to long to learn"

/facepalm

Do people this times have so short attention spans?

And if you thought Starcraft takes too much to learn, I can really LAUGH OUT LOUD, then try playing Sins, MTW, etc.

Someone is laughing at my opinion. How mature.

-GhostMLD-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 -GhostMLD-
Member since 2008 • 3282 Posts

console gamers like it, its just hermits feel threatened and criticize the game.

what they fail to see is that some gamers dont want to game on a PC and another genre on consoles is always welcome. console owners dont care if a gamepad isnt as responsive, we just want to have fun.

there u go, its PC gamer propaganda.

Arjdagr8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Arjdagr8
Member since 2003 • 3865 Posts
im a console gamer and i enjoy rts :|
jangojay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 jangojay
Member since 2007 • 4044 Posts

console gamers like it, its just hermits feel threatened and criticize the game.

what they fail to see is that some gamers dont want to game on a PC and another genre on consoles is always welcome. console owners dont care if a gamepad isnt as responsive, we just want to have fun.

there u go, its PC gamer propaganda.

-GhostMLD-

What does this have to do anything? Sales wise I believe most RTS on consoles sell terribly. Halo wars might be the only exception due to halo in the title.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

RTS strategies don't play as well on consoles, the controls are not complex enough and the lack of a mouse is a major problem. So I'd say its not that console gamers don't like RTS's its that consoles themselves don't. RTS fans will tend to gravitate to a PC to play.

On a side note, Oblivion looked the same on PC as the consoles? What PC did you play it on? Oh and if you tried some of the mods ... ;)

krunkfu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 krunkfu2
Member since 2007 • 4218 Posts
RTS's are meant for the PC
killerzboy010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 killerzboy010
Member since 2008 • 128 Posts
im a console gamer and i love strategy games roll on supreme commander
Dahaka-UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Dahaka-UK
Member since 2005 • 6915 Posts
Maybe because they work like total crap on a controller.
Avatar image for ViscaBarcaInter
ViscaBarcaInter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ViscaBarcaInter
Member since 2007 • 382 Posts
I assume this means REAL TIME strategy, because turn based wouldn't be a problem. But RTS games were specifically designed, as in the whole genre was created, around the mouse. Thus, consoles based around a stick/pad are not conductive to the genre unless massive changes are made, and unlike lots of people here, most common gamer types have no problem playing RTS games on their PCs and playing other genres on their console of choice. Rome Total War is BREASTS, for instance. :D:D:D:D:D
hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 hiphops_savior

RTS's are meant for the PCkrunkfu2

The Wii-mote could be giving the PC a run for the money in terms of RTS.

cobrax75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 cobrax75
Member since 2007 • 8389 Posts

[QUOTE="krunkfu2"]RTS's are meant for the PChiphops_savior

but it wont, because it still lacks precision, and would be extreamly uncomfratable playing with for long periods of time, as your arm would just get tired.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 hiphops_savior
[QUOTE="hiphops_savior"]

[QUOTE="krunkfu2"]RTS's are meant for the PCcobrax75

but it wont, because it still lacks precision, and would be extreamly uncomfratable playing with for long periods of time, as your arm would just get tired.

I agree, the Wii-Mote is flawed at times. However, this is a step in the right direction for console RTS and I think by next-gen, the RTS could finally be playable on a PC while maintaining the same controls that made the RTS so popular on the PC.

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#46 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts
They don't translate all that well onto consoles. Whereas anticipation for games of that kind on the DS is generally well received.
Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

how can a 2 button remote possibly compare to the mouse keyboard? You'd have to dumb it down so much. Grrrr now you're making me mad lol
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Because without a mouse and keyboard and developers like Blizzard, Relic and the others they have never experienced good RTS games that have made them appreciate the genre.
Arjdagr8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Arjdagr8
Member since 2003 • 3865 Posts

just no..

bawathegamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 bawathegamer
Member since 2007 • 1498 Posts

just because people own a console doesnt mean they dont play on their pc as well. jeesh. i might not play new strategy games because my pc cant handle them but i like starcraft,wc3(very fun),aoe2(gr8) and cnc first decade. though i only buy them to play the single player campaign. i have bad net speed.

im a console game for most genres but im not going to play an rts game with a controller.sorry. its just plain weird.everything else is pretty good with a controller. and games like ceasar and stuff would be torture on a controller.

with an rts theres so much micro management and the kb/m layout is the most comfortable. can you imagine playing an rts on a controller for 2 hours? i cant.

and btw what makes you think playing strategy games makes your iq higher? lol. wow. just wow.