Why didn't anyone make a hype thread for PC exclusive Stellaris?

• 141 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By casharmy
Member since 2011 • 9388 Posts

It was pretty hyped by PC fans on here as a AAA PC exclusive before now and it's already out but it seems PC fans kind of let it sink into the shadows and no one is talking about it.

Usually I see hype for small indies out the blue that gets decent ratings after they release for PC but with a game that actually looks like it wasn't created as a budget title, PC players aren't speaking on it. So is this a godly AAA exclusive PC game or just a name drop to hype something against high rated AAA console exclusives?

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

meh

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#3 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Why don't you ever post in the hype threads for PS4 exclusives a few days after scores are out? Because you don't buy any of those games.

Stellaris wasn't a big release by any stretch, and it's a 4x, a relatively niche genre, especially on a forum like System Wars. Check NeoGAF or the PC forum and you'll see people posting about these games more often.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52427 Posts

Just post the review already. We know you can't wait.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#5 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Let it sink in the shadows? It sold 200,000 copies on day one, for a mid budget niche 4X game, that is crazy good. What are you even talking about?

pug987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 pug987
Member since 2005 • 460 Posts

I always wanted to play a grand strategy game but I just couldn't get into one. Crusader Kings 2 was much to complex from the start and even the tutorial was a pain to get through.

I got Stellaris on a whim. I usually wait for prices to go down a bit and I was afraid I'm only gonna play for an hour and never touch it again.

I was wrong. Stellaris is much more accessible than other grand strategy games and it combines 4X gameplay elements. Its tutorial is useful and really unobtrusive. It also has that "one more turn" feel. (It's not turn based but you get the meaning).

The critiques about the mid game and diplomacy and battles are not wrong but Paradox has already outlined a gameplay patch that is coming and it seems they are fixing almost all of my complaints. The game will be much better once it's out. Also Paradox typically supports their games for years with free content and paid DLC so we can be pretty sure that the game will continue changing for the better as time goes by.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

Obviously it's not worth discussing as there wasn't a prime time tv commercial for it

thepclovingguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 thepclovingguy
Member since 2016 • 2059 Posts

Cant remember anyone hyping stellaris as an AAA game. Paradox does good and complex games, but honestly they don't interest me as much as total war and various other strategy games.

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts

Another one of cowarmy's butthurt thread over PC. Damn having no exclusives does that to you.

thepclovingguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 thepclovingguy

@zeeshanhaider: Cause bloodborne is the only worthwhile game they have.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

maybe because not everyone is as insecure as you?

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#12 kvally
Member since 2014 • 8445 Posts

Cant remember anyone hyping stellaris as an AAA game. Though I am glad it has sold well. Everyone I know that bought it loves it.

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts

didn't know TC is fan of 4X games

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#14  Edited By illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

I put up a release thread about it. Just wanted to inform this place about the release of the game because it's destined to be Paradox' most accessible one. I feel that I got the message across in myself and others letting people like Lucianu and some others know that that this might be the GSG that they'll probably like after falling off of how daunting or unappealing CK/EU is. Job done. Dont care about some silly metagame.

People playing it wont bother doing it here in this little bubble of a gaming community. Or they're too busy actually playing it because of how absorbing and involving these games tend to be. On my Steam friends list, for instance, there's a combined 390 hours of playtime put into the game already across 19 people. The highest being blue_hazy and planeforger, who are somewhat active posters here.

It's also trending very highly within Youtube communities. There's also more people watching this game about spreadsheets and maps on TwitchTV than Uncharted 4, so there's that. And I dont want to see anyone dismissing Twitch here, because it's a more relevant community and promotion platform than this forum's shitty hype threads will ever be.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

@the_master_race said:

didn't know TC is fan of 4X games

Think we both know that TC isn't a fan of any game that's not a ps exclusive

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#16  Edited By Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts

It's not on PS4, so why does this catch your eye?

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#17 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

I think we said it was gonna be good. I mean... we could also say it's better than any 4X game on consoles... Hmm. Consoles don't put up much of a fight.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56104 Posts

I've seen a few fairly negative reviews of Stellaris. The big complaint seems to be that the mid-game is just a total chore. Supposedly they made the late-game somewhat interesting, and that's usually when 4x games tend to fall apart, but here the problem is everything in-between. Anyway, I haven't played it myself but it sounds like a game that would get pretty annoying. Or I could wait for Civilization 6 at the very least.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

Maybe cause they are busy playing said game instead of blabbing about it on some forum.

Avatar image for deactivated-60cd6c3d31f6d
deactivated-60cd6c3d31f6d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-60cd6c3d31f6d
Member since 2015 • 745 Posts

Because most of them are sheeps and lems hiding behind PC and the others dont give a shit about those kind of games and are anticipating the newest console ports, lol.

@dxmcat said:

Maybe cause they are busy playing said game instead of blabbing about it on some forum.

Yet they had enough time to damage control Uncharted 4, heh.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#21  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

Its hard to hype hardcore type games. These games arent meant for everyone and usually have a steep learning curve. Its a game you should try if your looking for this type game.

mirgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mirgamer
Member since 2003 • 2489 Posts

Because TOTAL WAAAGGGHHHHHH. Everyone's attention is on that game.

But regardless, Stellaris sold pretty damn well, IIRC the best selling Paradox game so far. Thats remarkable, considering how niche 4x space grand strategy is.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

Amazing game (71 hrs in so far), don't think its your cup of tea though TC. No corridors and ALOT of thinking and planning and micromangement ie the utter antithesis of PS exclusives.

kweeni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24 kweeni
Member since 2007 • 11413 Posts

I just checked out the game and it actually looks pretty awesome. It's the kind of game where you can just sink in countless of hours and keep coming back. It's been a long time since I played strategy games but I think I'll pick this one up.

Dasein808

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Dasein808
Member since 2008 • 839 Posts

@casharmy: It's an awesome game, but it requires a brain and it's not a linear movie game with no replayability, so you and your fellow mad cows wouldn't like it.

60+ hours and loving it. Back to it since it's a lot more fun than circle jerking on forums over a movie "game."

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#26 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

If we start hyping every good game that comes out on PC then you'll see dozen of threads every 2 weeks. This is System Wars, so there is no point in hyping smaller titles, even though they are still great games. This is the place to hype "muh blockbusters" and "AAA" games. In real life people were excited for Stellaris and it sold pretty well too.

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator

@kweeni: The tutorial for a Paradox game is actually pretty darned good. Let me suggest that a) you research colonization immediately b) colonize aggressively and early c) ignore anomalies until you level your scientists (unless you have a REALLY low chance to fail) d) immediately build a 2nd science ship

Totally recommend!

kweeni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By kweeni
Member since 2007 • 11413 Posts

@blue_hazy_basic said:

@kweeni: The tutorial for a Paradox game is actually pretty darned good. Let me suggest that a) you research colonization immediately b) colonize aggressively and early c) ignore anomalies until you level your scientists (unless you have a REALLY low chance to fail) d) immediately build a 2nd science ship

Totally recommend!

Yeah I heard the tutorial for this game is pretty good which is nice because I'll be needing it. :p

Thanks for the tips I'll keep those in mind. How complex would you say is this game compared to Crusader Kings 2? I had no idea what I was doing when I played that game (though admittedly I only played that game for 4 hours~).

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#29 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Paradox games aren't large blockbusters that get a lot of people excited. They make niche genre games that have smaller, but steady audiences on the PC. Not exactly hype material.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

Probably because they're playing the game rather than masturbating over console sales and Nathan Drake's asscheeks.

thepclovingguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By thepclovingguy
@clone01 said:

Probably because they're playing the game rather than masturbating over console sales and Nathan Drake's asscheeks.

Best comment so far.

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator

@kweeni said:
@blue_hazy_basic said:

Totally recommend!

Yeah I heard the tutorial for this game is pretty good which is nice because I'll be needing it. :p

Thanks for the tips I'll keep those in mind. How complex would you say is this game compared to Crusader Kings 2? I had no idea what I was doing when I played that game (though admittedly I only played that game for 4 hours~).

Much more user friendly and the tutorial actually shows you how to play, not just chucks you in the deep end of the pool with a bunch of rocks like CK does :P

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

lol pc exclusives.

Let guess, top down? strategy? A UI that makes world of warcraft look uncluttered?

thepclovingguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 thepclovingguy

Much better than your every day copy paste shooter on console.

@Bread_or_Decide said:

lol pc exclusives.

Let guess, top down? strategy? A UI that makes world of warcraft look uncluttered?

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

I've tried the tutorial, not quite seeing what they want me to do. Made me want to re-install Freelancer, so I did :D

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11796 Posts

It's not like you'd guys would count it anyway

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44562 Posts

we already had someone hyping it a few days ago, no hype thread but touting how it was on Steam's top seller list

360ru13r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 360ru13r
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts

Honestly because not sure how many people really play the games made by the same people who made Crusader Kings. Unofficial because of Civilization VI SON!?!?!

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator

@casharmy if it makes you happy you can say it flopped at GS for me as I'd have hyped it a AA, and after playing it would score it at least that. Will that help your rage? lol

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

Because it a game you spend hours and hours playing......not hyping.

Zergforlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Zergforlife
Member since 2016 • 467 Posts

The game had ZERO hype. It is still 7th most played Steam title and good sales for what it is with a respectable 79%. Meanwhile this is the new PS4 Exclusive, http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/shadow-of-the-beast Shadow of the Beast at 67%. Then you had The Order, Knack, Killzone, and Driveclub disasters. It's not a mystery why PC pretty much dominates scores on average.

Why didn't we see this kind of thread from the OP when XCOM2 came out and got a 9.0?

Why won't we see this kind of thread from the OP about actual hyped games like Total War, Civilizations 6, Dawn of War, Unreal, and Star Citizen?

@Bread_or_Decide said:

lol pc exclusives.

lol console exclusives.

Let guess, extremely casual and stupidly easy? shooter that uses lol-thumbsticks? barely any gameplay? dead community in 1 month? A UI that makes Fisher Price toys look adult?

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#42 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

I'm too busy playing it to be worried about what some random bloke on a website has to say. With 59 hours played, so far, I think it's safe to say that I enjoy it.

Livecommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Livecommander
Member since 2009 • 1388 Posts

@thepclovingguy said:

@zeeshanhaider: Cause bloodborne is the only worthwhile game they have.

Lol , when are pc fans going to realize its all respect. This game doesnt have commerials becuase there no single brand/s for publishers to be interested in mass ads for cash swag. Only low spec/multi plat pc games get commerials if you havent noticed. You guys are simply not apart of the "war" in system wars. Dont get why a pc gamer ever feels a way about these things. Like who wouldn't rather be rich than famous ? lol

Most games are best when not millions people know about it. I had the perfect semi secluded community when demon souls came out. Enjoy this.

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator

@GarGx1 said:

I'm too busy playing it to be worried about what some random bloke on a website has to say. With 59 hours played, so far, I think it's safe to say that I enjoy it.

I just hit 75, I'm consumed lol

mirgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By mirgamer
Member since 2003 • 2489 Posts

Because TOTAL WAAAGGGGHHHH is getting all the spotlight, attention and anticipation atm. :D

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#46 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

@blue_hazy_basic said:
@GarGx1 said:

It's addictive as hell.

The only gripe I have is the diplomacy is pretty off, trying to get trade deals can be just about impossible. I did manage to get an initially hostile alien empire to ally with me but only after I liberated them from another empire, I guess they felt indebted :)

For me it's a definite 8/10, great game and well worth getting.

Zergforlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Zergforlife
Member since 2016 • 467 Posts

@casharmy whats with all the fire and forget threads/posts that make no sense? Any response?

UnrealGunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 UnrealGunner
Member since 2015 • 1073 Posts

I will start hype threads for PC games as I never done one

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator

@GarGx1 said:
@blue_hazy_basic said:
@GarGx1 said:

It's addictive as hell.

The only gripe I have is the diplomacy is pretty off, trying to get trade deals can be just about impossible. I did manage to get an initially hostile alien empire to ally with me but only after I liberated them from another empire, I guess they felt indebted :)

For me it's a definite 8/10, great game and well worth getting.

Yea you pretty much have to be a xenophile to pull off alliances easily, diplomacy certainly needs some work.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

had no idea so many people were playing..if anyone wants to do some muitplayer add me on steam.

and cashangry..where were you when this game was released? http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/offworld-trading-company-review/1900-6416420/