Why did Nintendo let the Wii become a shovelware dumping ground?

• 87 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

WillieBeamish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 WillieBeamish
Member since 2008 • 1289 Posts

Was it due to greed?

Was it due to an 'anything goes' philosophy?

Was it due to poor management?

All I know is that when Wal-Mart has a dump truck size bin in the middle of the electronics section, and its filled with Wii games that I didn't even know existed.. or even WANT to know they existed... It sends shivers up my spine. The Wii's 'accessories' are even more stupifiying.

This is going to put a bad taint in the games industry. Its just like the housing crisis. Lets exploit this situation as much as possible until the whole thing collapses under its own weight, you know, like it did back in the 80's.

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts
Answer me why sony let the PS2 become a shovelware dumping ground first.
lotuspanther

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 lotuspanther
Member since 2008 • 43 Posts

Because third parties are afraid to put their good games on Wii because they cant compete with nintendos superior games

Avatar image for Sony-tha-champ0
Sony-tha-champ0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#4 Sony-tha-champ0
Member since 2008 • 3569 Posts
Answer me why sony let the PS2 become a shovelware dumping ground first.Espada12
atleast it had hell loads of good games(Jak,ratchet,sly,MGS,tekken,wipeout) unlike the wiicrap
Sony-tha-champ0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Sony-tha-champ0

Because third parties are afraid to put their good games on Wii

lotuspanther
Thats good,now i know why wii sucks so much
WillieBeamish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 WillieBeamish

Answer me why sony let the PS2 become a shovelware dumping ground first.Espada12

It wasn't like this. Yeah, the PS2 had a ton of garbage games, but they also had a consistent flow of great games. The Wii has two types of games: Nintendo shovelware and 3rd party shovelware.

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

[QUOTE="Espada12"]Answer me why sony let the PS2 become a shovelware dumping ground first.Sony-tha-champ0
atleast it had hell loads of good games(Jak,ratchet,sly,MGS,tekken,wipeout) unlike the wiicrap

They Wii also has great games, I fail to see your point.

killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts

It's not Nintendos fault.

best selling systems attract loads of shovelware titles.

Sony-tha-champ0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Sony-tha-champ0

[QUOTE="Sony-tha-champ0"][QUOTE="Espada12"]Answer me why sony let the PS2 become a shovelware dumping ground first.Espada12

my point is that the PS2 has way more support on 3rs party than the wii,plus 1st party where good too,tho SMG and SSBB are good,PS2 just killz the wii
Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts

[QUOTE="Espada12"]Answer me why sony let the PS2 become a shovelware dumping ground first.Sony-tha-champ0

The Wii has also some excellent games. Some of the best this gen.

blushield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 blushield
Member since 2008 • 736 Posts

DS and PS2 are the same

People develop for the most popular console, shovelware is a byproduct of that. Especially when the development costs are so low. This isn't rocket science

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-63f6895020e66
[QUOTE="Espada12"]

[QUOTE="Sony-tha-champ0"][QUOTE="Espada12"]Answer me why sony let the PS2 become a shovelware dumping ground first.Sony-tha-champ0

my point is that the PS2 has way more support on 3rs party than the wii,plus 1st party where good too,tho SMG and SSBB are good,PS2 just killz the wii

Your point is only that the PS2 is better than the Wii. Ok. That doesn't mean the Wii is a bad console.

Not being the best =/= being bad.

angryfodder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 angryfodder
Member since 2007 • 20490 Posts
There is alot of junk on both the Wii and the DS. I was looking for a game the other day and it is hard to find a good game in the sea of crap
killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 killerfist

DS and PS2 are the same

People develop for the most popular console, shovelware is a byproduct of that. Especially when the development costs are so low. This isn't rocket science

blushield
exactly. Nintendo can't do anything about it. They're in a buisness. money talks, money walks
Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts
[QUOTE="Sony-tha-champ0"][QUOTE="Espada12"]

[QUOTE="Sony-tha-champ0"][QUOTE="Espada12"]Answer me why sony let the PS2 become a shovelware dumping ground first.IronBass

Your point is only that the PS2 is better than the Wii. Ok. That doesn't mean the Wii is a bad console.

Not being the best =/= being bad.

Just look at the list of AAA titles on PS2 versus the Wii. Even more alarming look at the list of titles that score 6 and below on the two and the Wii wins by an astonishing amount. You'd have to be blind to ignore those facts.

Also last gen you didn't have to miss out on multiplats with the PS2. Where's Silent Hill, RE5, Bioshock, and Orange Box on the Wii? Why are so many multiplats ignoring the Wii completely? Think about it.

blushield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 blushield

There is alot of junk on both the Wii and the DS. I was looking for a game the other day and it is hard to find a good game in the sea of crapangryfodder

A gamer should know something about games and therefore be able to distinguish quality titles from "the sea of crap"

are you a gamer?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-63f6895020e66

Just look at the list of AAA titles on PS2 versus the Wii. Even more alarming look at the list of titles that score 6 and below on the two and the Wii wins by an astonishing amount. You'd have to be blind to ignore those facts.

Have I ignore them? Nope.

Also last gen you didn't have to miss out on multiplats with the PS2. Where's Silent Hill, RE5, Bioshock, and Orange Box on the Wii? Why are so many multiplats ignoring the Wii completely? Think about it.

There again. You are just saying that the PS2 is better than Wii. That doesn't mean the Wii is bad. That's all I'm saying. The Wii first party Nintendo games are enough to make it a good console.

Bread_or_Decide

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Bread_or_Decide

There again. You are just saying that the pS2 iis better than Wii. That doesn't mean the Wii is bad. That's all I'm saying.

IronBass

Well of course its not bad. For me the Wii is the art-house console. Some of the best off-beat stuff is on the Wii.

CajunShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 CajunShooter
Member since 2006 • 5276 Posts

Most shovelware games didn't come out within the first 3 years like nintendo has.

wooooode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 wooooode
Member since 2002 • 16666 Posts
PS2 was not as bad as the Wii is now and I enjoy the Wii. People are going to buy the $40 game before the $50 game and the $40 may be way over priced while the $50 game is great. This really will hurt the gaming comunity just like all the garbage on the Atari killed it.
hongkingkong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#21 hongkingkong
Member since 2006 • 9368 Posts
Sony dropped the ball. They wanted another shovelware console but their hardware was too complex and expensive, wii could have been great but instead the gap in the market led Nintendo to sell out and put games second to sales. Shame. The wii could have been a great console despite the hardware.
sherlock99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#22 sherlock99
Member since 2005 • 1600 Posts
i hate stupid threads like this who cares about shovelware no one is buying it so why bring it up why focus on the bad games when there are a lot of interesting new IPs coming to the wii
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Bread_or_Decide

i hate stupid threads like this who cares about shovelware no one is buying it so why bring it up why focus on the bad games when there are a lot of interesting new IPs coming to the wiisherlock99

Carnival Games sold over a million copies.

Someones buying it.

DireToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DireToad
Member since 2006 • 3948 Posts
so why bring it up why focus on the bad games when there are a lot of interesting new IPs coming to the wiisherlock99

sherlock99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#25 sherlock99
Member since 2005 • 1600 Posts
@Bread_or_Decide Carnival Games is not shovelware
killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 killerfist

i hate stupid threads like this who cares about shovelware no one is buying it so why bring it up why focus on the bad games when there are a lot of interesting new IPs coming to the wiisherlock99

I'm glad you highlighted the words allready..

no one is buying it? rofl. look at the sales charts.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Bread_or_Decide

@Bread_or_Decide Carnival Games is not shovelware sherlock99

Oh yes it is. Its the very definition of shovelware.

POJO_MOFO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28 POJO_MOFO
Member since 2004 • 5525 Posts
Because Nintendo likes money
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts
Greed most definately. It makes them money.
WillieBeamish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 WillieBeamish

[QUOTE="Sony-tha-champ0"][QUOTE="Espada12"]Answer me why sony let the PS2 become a shovelware dumping ground first.IronBass

That is like saying the DS has some of the best games this gen. Wii games can't be compared to 360/PS3 games. Its an apples to oranges comparison.

WillieBeamish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 WillieBeamish

@Bread_or_Decide Carnival Games is not shovelware sherlock99

If you google "shovelware" you will get pictures of Carnival Games.

ONLYDOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#32 ONLYDOD
Member since 2006 • 6026 Posts
Becuase when you have a games console that you want 3rd parties to develop for, that's what you do.
clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29826 Posts

[QUOTE="Espada12"]Answer me why sony let the PS2 become a shovelware dumping ground first.WillieBeamish

It wasn't like this. Yeah, the PS2 had a ton of garbage games, but they also had a consistent flow of great games. The Wii has two types of games: Nintendo shovelware and 3rd party shovelware.

wow, we get it, you don't like the wii. but is no more heroes, SMG, SSBB, twilight princess, mp: corruption, zach and wiki, mario kart wii (none of these got below 8.0, i believe) and the upcoming mad world, fatal frame 4, and sadness shovelware? i really don't think so.

look, if you want a reason for the larger amount of bad games on the Wii, its due to cheaper development costs (after all, look at the amount of garbage on the PS2 and DS). but to make blanket statements like yours is extremely narrow-minded and frankly, just intended to annoy other posters.

WillieBeamish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 WillieBeamish

Taken from the Shovelware Wikipedia entry:

"The Nintendo Wii and DS have often been criticized for having many shovelware, with producers hoping to make money with the large success of the consoles at the expense of creating quality games."

BubbyJello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 BubbyJello
Member since 2007 • 2750 Posts

Why should Nintendo not let it become a shovelware dumping ground?

It doesn't bother me :?

I actually like it, it gives me an lol from time to time.

killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 killerfist

"The Nintendo Wii and DS have often been criticized for having many shovelware, with producers hoping to make money with the large success of the consoles at the expense of creating quality games."

WillieBeamish

Wikipedia isn't god man. Just a regular person that wrote an article..

failed attempt to prove your point

VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

BubbyJello

it annoys me when im looking at all the wii games in best buy or something, and litterally all i see is crap... nothing good whatso ever, i have to move stuff out of the way in order to actually see good titles like zack and wiki or smg or something

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-63f6895020e66
[QUOTE="IronBass"]

[QUOTE="Sony-tha-champ0"][QUOTE="Espada12"]Answer me why sony let the PS2 become a shovelware dumping ground first.WillieBeamish

That is like saying the DS has some of the best games this gen. Wii games can't be compared to 360/PS3 games. Its an apples to oranges comparison.

Yup, opinions are fun. Imo, the Wii games can be compared to PS3's and 360's, and some of them may actually win.

(And actually the DS has some of the best games this gen, even comparing them to console ones)

BubbyJello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 BubbyJello
Member since 2007 • 2750 Posts
[QUOTE="BubbyJello"]

VendettaRed07

it annoys me when im looking at all the wii games in best buy or something, and litterally all i see is crap... nothing good whatso ever, i have to move stuff out of the way in order to actually see good titleslike zack and wiki or smg or something

Don't sprain your wrist...

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#40 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
Because Nintendo don't want to opress the third parties and scare them off like they did with the Nintendo seal of quality. Plus who cares? We all know you're a massive Wii hater so you don't. I don't care because I'm not an idiot so I don't buy shovelware, no other sheep care because they're the same as me. The only people who care are people looking for a reason to bash.
Nirron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Nirron
Member since 2008 • 359 Posts
[QUOTE="WillieBeamish"]

killerfist

Wikipedia isn't god man. Just a regular person that wrote an article..

failed attempt to prove your point

And...taken from the Wikipedia Wikipedia entry (no that isn't an error)

"...critics argue that Wikipedia's open nature and a lack of proper sources for much of the information makes it unreliable"

And if you want to name some big factors in the matter other than your fanboyish hatred of Nintendo (though it is refreshing to see you bash Nintendo instead of Sony; if you want to throw System Wars for a loop, bash Microsoft) then blame the brothers Low Development Cost and PS2 10-year Life Cycle.

Since they're moreso alike in hardware than the Wii is to the PS3/360, shovelware developers see a chance to go after the current generation leader as well as last generation's leader, an enormous market for two consoles which dominate(d) the casual market in their respective generations. And the Wii has such low development costs it only makes sense to put them there. As I don't know the exact cost, I can speculate that the units needing to be sold to recoup even the slightest profit for the 360/PS3 is leaps and bounds above the Wii. I'm just thankful that, even in this thread, many people are open minded enough to play the awesome games for the Wii. Though I guess I must be some sort of freak for having to have had the most fun with the Wii this generation, playing a lot of the unique and well done games.

Edit: Avoiding any confusion from my quoting + text, I'm referring to the OP, quite agreeing with you killerfist.

blushield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 blushield

Sony dropped the ball. They wanted another shovelware console but their hardware was too complex and expensive, wii could have been great but instead the gap in the market led Nintendo to sell out and put games second to sales. Shame. The wii could have been a great console despite the hardware.hongkingkong

Dude, I dont think the Wii ever had any chance to be really great. It's been a long time since Nintendo made a good console

I LOL'D
.DireToad

:lol: a cow deriding the exclusives on a new system. A new low

Nintendo actually showed of some great looking exclusives today, you remember what exclusives are right?

Carnival Games sold over a million copies.

Someones buying it.

Bread_or_Decide

:| On the PS2 the getaway sold 3million, eyetoy play sold 4 million and crash bandicoot sold 2 million. This isn't a new trend

Darth_Stalin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Darth_Stalin
Member since 2005 • 8681 Posts

But the PS2 was not known as the "mini-game" console.

WillieBeamish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 WillieBeamish

Yup, opinions are fun. Imo, the Wii games can be compared to PS3's and 360's, and some of them may actually win.

(And actually the DS has some of the best games this gen, even comparing them to console ones)

IronBass

DireToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 DireToad

Nintendo actually showed of some great looking exclusives today, you remember what exclusives are right?blushield

lol yeah the Wii's exclusives are so great.

I'd rather take all of the 360 and PS3's multiplats than the Wii's subpar exclusives.

blushield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 blushield

cat picture

WillieBeamish

Mario Galaxy won GOTY last year and the DS ahs the most AAA/AA exclusives this year. You should try playing something other than those made by your Microsoft overlords

DireToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 DireToad
[QUOTE="WillieBeamish"]

cat picture

blushield

Mario Galaxy won GOTY last year

Sheep should really stop living in the past.
blushield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 blushield

I'd rather take all of the 360 and PS3's multiplats than the Wii's subpar exclusives.

DireToad

Again Galaxy won GOTY, and brawl got a 9.5 (although I cant stand it myself) Personally I think Nintendo has a great show today. Some new IP's, some awesome looking sequels and the fantastic DSi.

and once again :lol: at a cow falling back on multiplats. Because we all know how great the multiplats are on the PS3 and PSP ROFL

Sheep should really stop living in the past.DireToad

Not a sheep cow, and Brawl was this year. We've already established that there are some fantastic looking games coming to the Wii

Nirron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Nirron
Member since 2008 • 359 Posts
[QUOTE="blushield"]

Nintendo actually showed of some great looking exclusives today, you remember what exclusives are right?DireToad

Of course you'd want some good multiplats over subpar exclusives, but the Wii's good to awesome exclusives make the console easily worth it.

WillieBeamish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 WillieBeamish
[QUOTE="WillieBeamish"]

cat picture

blushield

Mario Galaxy won GOTY last year and the DS ahs the most AAA/AA exclusives this year. You should try playing something other than those made by your Microsoft overlords

Anyone who believes that an AAA game on a handheld = an AAA game on a high-def console, is seriously grasping at straws.