why Bloodborne is most likely 30fps

• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

In an interview at the GameStart gaming convention last week withBloodborne Producer Masaaki Yamagiwa, we asked him what the target resolution and frame-rate was for the upcoming action-RPG. Yamagiwa noted that while they “haven’t made an official announcement yet but they will probably go for 30fps since that’s what they found to be the best fps (frames-per-second) to play action games.”

Yamagiwa added that from the beginning, “they weren’t targeting 60fps because it’s not first-person shooting, it’s an action game.”

Stay tuned to our full interview with Yamagiwa running later this week where we quiz him more about Bloodborne.

Do you agree with Yamagiwa or should every studio strive for 60fps in action games?

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2014/10/27/bloodborne-frame-rate-targeting-30fps-since-its-the-best-for-action-games-claims-producer/#/slide/1

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45103 Posts

Don't see what the big deal is. 60fps, like they said, is good for certain games. Otherwise it's a bit cartoony

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

Don't see what the big deal is. 60fps, like they said, is good for certain games. Otherwise it's a bit cartoony

well when i watch my led lcd tv i always turn off the 120hz....makes the real life look cartoony.

bloodlust_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 bloodlust_101
Member since 2003 • 2764 Posts

DMC4 vs DMC.

Obviously 60fps is better in action games.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5  Edited By princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

This is just PR bullshit. Dark Souls 1 and 2 at 60 FPS made the gameplay far more enjoyable and fluid, apart from the stupid durability bug in Dark Souls 2. They're sacrificing framerate for the sake of graphics and resolution because the PS4 is weak. Not a big deal since Demon's Souls on PS3 was still very playable and fun even at sub-30 FPS, but as long as the game maintains 30 FPS and doesn't dip below (no Blighttown nonsense pls) we're good. It's still disappointing and makes me wonder how "next-gen" these consoles are.

It's clear this producer is repeating what Sony's telling them to say. Nobody in their right mind thinks a Souls game is better played at 30 FPS instead of 60 FPS

KratosYOLOSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By KratosYOLOSwag
Member since 2013 • 1827 Posts

A locked 30fps is better than what the Souls games had. Can't see this getting below AAAAE on here.

We also shouldn't really take his comment so literal. He probably means 30fps is best for what they're going for. This wouldn't be the first time a statement from a From dev has been misinterpreted.

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

Well that was about the most moronic fucking thing I've read today.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

lol of course its not going to be 60 fps. it wont even be a locked 30fps. from software are the masters at making unstable games with shitty textures.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9  Edited By princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

@mems_1224 said:

lol of course its not going to be 60 fps. it wont even be a locked 30fps. from software are the masters at making unstable games with shitty textures.

Demon's Souls wasn't unstable. Dark Souls 2 wasn't unstable. Texture quality for all the Souls games are fine.

Don't even know why I'm bothering to reply to you since you're just like Lulu_Lulu, you're determined to troll every thread related to Souls games or Bloodborne

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

60fps is good for all games

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Well Bloodborne may have better gameplay than Dark Souls but its not as Extensive as something like Ninja Gaiden so 30fps is no Big Deal.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

@princeofshapeir said:

@mems_1224 said:

Demon's Souls wasn't unstable. Dark Souls 2 wasn't unstable. Texture quality for all the Souls games are fine.

Don't even know why I'm bothering to reply to you since you're just like Lulu_Lulu, you're determined to troll every thread related to Souls games or Bloodborne

Funny we have a 500 post topic rule when guys like this are allowed to. He hates anything related to sony. It's one thing to dislike a company, but he takes it to a whole new level.

SexyJazzCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SexyJazzCat
Member since 2013 • 2796 Posts

I really hope they don't believe that BS. You just need to play the PC version of DS2 after playing it on console. The difference is night and day.

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By kinectthedots
Member since 2013 • 3383 Posts

It's PR but not other Souls game was 60 and still made for arguably the best gameplay anyone had experienced last gen.

60fps would be great, but a solid 30 with the malicious attention to detail that From Soft has put in it's games and focus on gameplay they are known for, there won't be a finer playing video game anywhere by the time it releases, 60fps or not.

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

@princeofshapeir: You say the PS4 is weak but it's the strongest console on the market. The visuals in BB are also awesome.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts

@millerlight89 said:

@princeofshapeir said:

@mems_1224 said:

Funny we have a 500 post topic rule when guys like this are allowed to. He hates anything related to sony. It's one thing to dislike a company, but he takes it to a whole new level.

Well it is System Wars. :/

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts

Doesn't bother me as long as it is able to keep a stable 30fps unlike the souls games.

hehe101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#18 hehe101
Member since 2011 • 734 Posts

@AM-Gamer said:

@princeofshapeir: You say the PS4 is weak but it's the strongest console on the market. The visuals in BB are also awesome.

shame it still hasnt beaten ryse grafixally with its powa

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

60FPS is better all round, stop making excuses.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Lulu_Lulu

@princeofshapeir

Nobody's like me.....

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

@millerlight89 said:

@princeofshapeir said:

@mems_1224 said:

Demons souls ran great, if the framerate is around that I'm perfectly fine with it.

It's just that classic mems man.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Lulu_Lulu

@ReadingRainbow4

Don't Forget Classic Lulu ! ;)

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@ReadingRainbow4

Don't Forget Classic Lulu ! ;)

As idiotic as the opinions you hold are, I still don't think you're close to mems so at least you can take solace in that.

He'd had since 2004 to perfect his special brand of stupid.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Lulu_Lulu

@ReadingRainbow4

But I worked so hard ! :(

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

From Software have never been known for pushing hardware. From the looks of it Bloodborne looks like it could be made to run at 60 frames easily because there are never that many enemies on screen and the level design is like a bunch of interconnected corridors.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#26 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@kratosyoloswag said:

A locked 30fps is better than what the Souls games had. Can't see this getting below AAAAE on here.

We also shouldn't really take his comment so literal. He probably means 30fps is best for what they're going for. This wouldn't be the first time a statement from a From dev has been misinterpreted.

*sig* Unbiased Manticore of System Wars

LOL you are hilarious. You have become my favorite "unbiased" poster

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

I don't care.... Just make the game good.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#29 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

60 fps would be ideal but they've stated how they are going for some high fidelity graphics with Bloodborne so 30 fps makes the most sense.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Lulu_Lulu

@Wasdie

In action game 60 fps makes more sense....

Unless they plan on making traps and secretes harder to spot ?

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

Would you guys rather have 60 fps and a mediocre game or 30 fps and a good one ?

Just curious.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#32 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@Wasdie

In action game 60 fps makes more sense....

Unless they plan on making traps and secretes harder to spot ?

60 fps always makes more sense but plenty of action games have been 30 fps and have played absolutely fine.

30 fps is only absolutely needed on a very few subset of genres when playing with a controller. The genre that requires it the most is the fighting game genre. I would argue that 2d platformers and extremely twitched based kind of games require 60fps. Imagine playing Super Meat Boy at 30 fps. That would be a nightmare.

For most genres 30 fps is fine with a controller. 60 fps is needed with a mouse as the nature of a mouse makes anything less than about 50 fps feel sluggish. The quicker moving camera and the mouse cursor on a screen pretty much demand 60 fps. If you don't have a mouse then it becomes much less of an issue.

I feel that this whole obsession with 1080p and 60fps on the consoles stems from the idiotic metnality of the whole "pc master race" where people go to the internet to defend their purchases of very expensive PC hardware. 10 years ago PC gamers and console gamers knew full well that on the PC you're paying for graphics and framerates and on the consoles you're just getting the latest games that do their best to look better than last year's titles. That's it.

Now it's become this stupid competition between the platforms. It partly comes from console fanboys attempting to justify the fact they can't own a PC for whatever reason, and it partly comes from PC gamers trying to justify the large amounts of money they invest in gaming hardware,

I personally don't give a crap. I've blown upwards of probably $7,000-8,000 on PC parts in the past decade and I don't once regret it. I personally don't need to justify thrown a $600 GPU in my PC. I know exactly what I'm getting and I don't need to justify that purchase to anybody. I went out and bought a PS4 at launch despite fully understanding that my 2x 570s in my PC at the time was far more powerful. Hell I still buy multiplats on my PS4 over my PC because some games are just built for the console and a living room/home theater setting and there is just no point fighting it. Recently I bought Shadow of Mordor on my PS4 for the full price despite knowing I could play it at 1440p60 on my PC. Don't regret it at all because I don't need the highest resolution or best graphics constantly. I've learned just to play video games and enjoy them.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Lulu_Lulu

@Wasdie

All the more reason to get a Wii U right ? ;)

Benny_Blakk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34  Edited By Benny_Blakk
Member since 2007 • 910 Posts

@Wasdie: Bravo

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#35 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

Having played Dark Souls & Dark Souls II at 60 fps, it will be very hard to get used to 30 fps. I'd settle for PS3 graphics, if it means Bloodborne runs at 60 fps.

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 AM-Gamer

@hehe101: 900p sub 30fps , Lmao Infamous SS dumps all over Ryse.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 BldgIrsh

@AM-Gamer said:

@hehe101: 900p sub 30fps , Lmao Infamous SS dumps all over Ryse.

I am not understanding. Does resolution and FPS matter or not? Or does it only matter when it benefits you?

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 mikhail
Member since 2003 • 2697 Posts

It's a console game, of course it's most likely 30 fps.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#39 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

All the Souls games looked kind of shitty. But they were amazing.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#40 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

I don't get it. Nintendo has been making 60 fps games for decades. Is there a reason why the rest of gaming is allergic to quality gameplay? Not just for gameplay it makes your game really pop.

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By mikhail
Member since 2003 • 2697 Posts

@bunchanumbers said:

I don't get it. Nintendo has been making 60 fps games for decades. Is there a reason why the rest of gaming is allergic to quality gameplay? Not just for gameplay it makes your game really pop.

Pretty graphics sell to the masses, frame rate doesn't. You can thank millions of people who prioritize looks over feel and responsiveness for multiple generations of 30 fps console games. Since consoles are all about compromise, developers choose what sells..."the graphics", and frame rate becomes secondary.

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts

@kinectthedots said:

It's PR but not other Souls game was 60 and still made for arguably the best gameplay anyone had experienced last gen.

60fps would be great, but a solid 30 with the malicious attention to detail that From Soft has put in it's games and focus on gameplay they are known for, there won't be a finer playing video game anywhere by the time it releases, 60fps or not.

Eh...?

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By AM-Gamer

@bldgirsh: It's not rocket science. There's 30fps and there's sub 30fps. Calling Ryse 30fps is generous.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

30FPS as long as it doesn't have lots of dips... The souls games are all about timing your attacks and one frame skip and your dead.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

Wonder what the Blight Town of Bloodborne is gonna be.

inklineface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 inklineface
Member since 2014 • 134 Posts

Bloodborne will definitely be bringing the jelly to lems and herms who loved Dark Souls, and now have to convince themselves the title they want to play so bad, is horrible because ps4 exclusive.

Love that Jelly butthurt. :)

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

That wont bother me. Will Chronicles X be 60 and chop the graphics to achieve it?

KratosYOLOSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By KratosYOLOSwag
Member since 2013 • 1827 Posts

I was right, it was a mistranslation. Bloodborne on track for AAAAE status.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

Next up: 800p and black bars.

To bad the game has no day/night cycle or dynamic weather. LOL at the prebaked lighting too.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 BldgIrsh

@kratosyoloswag: So... you are telling me this translator with tons of experience in translating made a mistake somehow? He needs to be fired if he can't translate correctly...