Why are cliffhanger game endings hated so much?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58952 Posts

This is good.

This is bad.

Why are games so unsuccessful at cliffhanger endings?

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#2 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

The best cliffhanger ending is definitely The Last of Us. The cliffhanger so good it somehow made me questions why TLoU2 even need to exist. some things should remain unanswered.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#3 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts

I think cliffhanger endings can be quite good but they need to be properly done so that you still get some satisfaction out of it.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56095 Posts

You wanna know why Cliffhanger game endings are hated? Well because of this game: Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy:

Loading Video...

And it was never continued! Midway had plans to make a sequel afterwards but they ran out of time, they went Bankrupt before they could even get started on a sequel. This is exactly why I hate cliffhanger ending games. Because shit like this happens!

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

Still get nightmare from how short and anti-climactic Deus Ex: Mankind Dicked was. The whole game felt like a cliffhanger.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@uninspiredcup: Did you not like the Cliffhanger ending?

Loading Video...

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

Cliffhangers mean you cannot keep playing the game after the ending. Usually.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@henrythefifth said:

Cliffhangers mean you cannot keep playing the game after the ending. Usually.

How was the ending on that great game Hitman???

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15569 Posts

If you can reasonably expect another game, and the cliffhanger doesn't leave the plot points abruptly in the air, then they're okay.

I like the cliffhanger in Assassin's Creed 2, for example. It leaves it off on a good point to where it feels like a solid chapter conclusion, and sets up a good bunch of interesting material to make you excited for the next games. Granted, the plots shit the bed after that because Ubi was desperate to milk the franchise for 2 more games before AC3 half-assed an ending, but that's besides the point.

The problem with most game cliffhangers is that games budgets put the primary concerns on aesthetics and gameplay, and plots are almost always secondary. Which means if budgets and time run out, plot is first to get sacrificed, and the cliffhanger shows.

Halo 2 is a bad cliffhanger because the story essentially hard cuts to credits right as it's getting to an important part. It's so abrupt and messy, and it's obvious from interviews that it's because they ran out of time to get the game finished.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46282 Posts

It's lazy.

Look at Halo 2's campaign compared to Halo 1. Halo 1 had a proper length and had a solid ending. Halo 2 was way too short and ended with a cliffhanger.

Besides, I've been burned too many times by cliffhangers that never had any resolve.

I.e. Half Life 2 Episode 2, Bulletstorm, ...

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8470 Posts

Because HL2: Episode 2.

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

Xenoblade Chronicles X.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

I guess in my opinion, it's just a matter of how the ending subjectively feels. Like, with The Last of Us, it ended on a cliffhanger but there was enough closure that it still felt complete. They're making a sequel and I'm sure that the sequel will great, but at the time it didn't need a sequel. If the first game had been the only game made in the series, it still would've felt complete.

Drawing a parallel to movies, it's sort of like watching Alien. Don't get me wrong, Aliens was awesome. But Alien didn't NEED a sequel in order to complete it. Alien was complete as-is, even if none of the lingering plot threads ever got resolved in a sequel. The movie ended up getting a sequel but it didn't feel like it needed a sequel.

What annoys me are games and movies that don't feel complete, that feel as if the ending is just setting up a sequel. The kinds of movies and games that don't feel complete. That feel as if I can't properly judge them yet because they aren't done yet. But yeah...it's kind of subjective and not everyone is going to agree on which "cliffhanger" movies and games fit into which category.

That_Old_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By That_Old_Guy
Member since 2018 • 1233 Posts

As long as it’s meant to be that way as in it’s good for the story.....and not some half assed attempt to make a franchise.

That and what if it’s a game you really like but didn’t do well and you might not get to find out where the story goes.

Kinda like The Order for me. Wasn’t that bad. Not worth $60, but loved the world and would love to see where it goes.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#15 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24921 Posts
Loading Video...

This is the best cliffhanger ending ever.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
Loading Video...

This is the best cliffhanger ending ever.

Cliffhangers like that aren't bad, but if they have you needing answers I don't like it because you'll never know if the will make the next game or movie.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17426 Posts

Halo 2

Mass Effect 3 (the "good ending)

Avatar image for deactivated-5c56012aaa167
deactivated-5c56012aaa167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 deactivated-5c56012aaa167
Member since 2016 • 2538 Posts

They are bad when they go unanswered. Star Wars The Force Unleashed 2's ending wasn't bad but it has become bad with the cancellation of TFU 3.

People also hated the ending of MGS 2.(Since it didn't have a closure and a side villain escaped with the metal gear and fans had to wait 7 years to get a closure for that)

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

Because then you don't knwo what happens. Like after Crissi Core, what happened to that Cloaud guy??!

On e serious note: it always depents on the game just as it depends on the movies. There are plenty of movies with bad cliffhanger endings - especially if they tease a sequel that never releases because the movie wasn't successful. And as with movies, there are games that do it well and some that don't. The only thing I hate is when they pretty much lock the ending behind a paywall. The first instance of that I remember was the Prince of Persia Ps3 Game where you had to pay for the ending.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#20 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts
@dorog1995 said:

People also hated the ending of MGS 2.(Since it didn't have a closure and a side villain escaped with the metal gear and fans had to wait 7 years to get a closure for that)

I loved the MGS2 ending. It felt surreal, and made you question reality. Just how much of it was real, or a dream, or virtual reality? It didn't really need closure, to be honest. If anything, giving it closure just ruined the illusion. MGS2 was originally going to be Kojima's last MGS game... Which would've pissed-off a lot of gamers, but that's something I would've been fine with.

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1430 Posts

MGS2’s ending was fantastic. That was an excellent way to end the game. It had closure.