Who will win the Spike's VGA's Game of the Year 2012???

• 77 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#51 texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14899 Posts
Probably The Walking Dead. None of the other games have as much praise universally than that series. Im still waiting on the disc version in Dec before i pick it up though.navyguy21
wrong The games average in the low 80's on Metacritic.
delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#52 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts
[QUOTE="Cheleman"]

the popular one, AKA: Mass Effect 3

Mozelleple112
Technically, the popular one is Journey, with 37% of the votes, followed by The Walking Dead with 26% of the votes..

Nah, thats only because all the cows will vote for Journey by default, i am beginning to realise what somebody said the other day, Polls are just a faction headcount and are totally meaningless in this forum I choose Ass creed 3, Best game i have played this year.
delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 delta3074
I'm fine with any of them winning except Journey. If it wins, it may possibly be the most overrated "game" of all timeBPoole96
the most annoying thing about the journey was the blatant cow hypocrisy, up until then 'arcade' games didn't count and then all of a sudden it was Journey>xbox 360, it's a good game but i hope it doesn't win, this place would become unbearable after that.
kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#54 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts
The one who paid the mostMonsieurX
Halo 4? :lol:
Avatar image for PinnacleGamingP
PinnacleGamingP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 PinnacleGamingP
Member since 2012 • 5120 Posts
[QUOTE="BPoole96"]I'm fine with any of them winning except Journey. If it wins, it may possibly be the most overrated "game" of all timedelta3074
the most annoying thing about the journey was the blatant cow hypocrisy, up until then 'arcade' games didn't count and then all of a sudden it was Journey>xbox 360, it's a good game but i hope it doesn't win, this place would become unbearable after that.

i dont remember any 360 arcade games going up for GOTY maybe 20 years ago they would have :lol:
nervmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 nervmeister
Member since 2005 • 15377 Posts
[QUOTE="MonsieurX"]The one who paid the mostkuraimen
Halo 4? :lol:

Yeah. By that logic, all the nominees should've been 360 exclusives considering how much cash MS has.
delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 delta3074
[QUOTE="delta3074"][QUOTE="BPoole96"]I'm fine with any of them winning except Journey. If it wins, it may possibly be the most overrated "game" of all timePinnacleGamingP

i dont remember any 360 arcade games going up for GOTY maybe 20 years ago they would have :lol:

that had absolutely nothing to do with what i just said, well done
MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#58 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Hmmm, personally out of that group the only game I'd pick over it is Dishonored as that's more my cup of tea, and I haven't played The Walking Dead adventure game(which now I would want to given that the 3rd season of that show is actually not hot garbage like the first 2 seasons). Can't comment on Xcom yet as far as the rest of the years lineup goes.

But as it stands I thought Journey was cool. It's one of the few times I've ever cared about the visual side of the game, and it understand the concept of using its visuals and scenery to set a tone of an emotional response. Which sure is a lot of basic stuff(and nowhere near some of the hyperbole gamertwits throw at it sometimes like "it's like controlling a poem") but it was certainly a far more interesting game than

-More f*cking Assassins Creed
-More f*cking Halo
-Mass Effect 3

for my money.

Plus the online stuff was unique, and kind of fun. I was totally surprised how buddy/buddy you could get with the other person without communicating all that much, and was really shocked when I found out it wasn't the same person. Game is very minimalistic, but I like that it messes with the idea of what a game is.

You would think as obsessed as some of the people on this forum are about "gaming is art", "games need to try new things", or "games need to be compelling on an emotional level" and all that jazz that a game like Journey would get some props for what it attempts instead of the countless action games that half ass it.

jg4xchamp

Yea you'd think so.

I'll be honest here, I can't really say with any legitimacy I think Journey deserves it above all the others as I've not played any of the others in the above poll yet. But unless those other games are far departures from their predecessors and not just further developments and evolutions on their existing formulas and innovate in some respect (Dishonored excluded obviously as its a new IP), my vote goes to Journey. I have a hard time expressing my enthusiasm for it without spewing hyperbole.

But I think it was one game that was a large (and hugely successful) social experiment, and as you said was quite minimalistic which questioned and challenged what has traditionally defined the medium thus far. For that, it deserves much recognition and it'd please me immensely to see it get GotY. Some may see it as not really that important, but I see the pushing of boundaries and norms (even relatively small ones) as of crucial importance in any form of expression or realm of creativity. Especially in today's market of Halo and AC and ME when taking risks is seldom seen.

btw: agree on The Walking Dead, this season is so far awesome. Much more so than the first two. Can't wait 'till this Sunday...

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 texasgoldrush

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]

Hmmm, personally out of that group the only game I'd pick over it is Dishonored as that's more my cup of tea, and I haven't played The Walking Dead adventure game(which now I would want to given that the 3rd season of that show is actually not hot garbage like the first 2 seasons). Can't comment on Xcom yet as far as the rest of the years lineup goes.

But as it stands I thought Journey was cool. It's one of the few times I've ever cared about the visual side of the game, and it understand the concept of using its visuals and scenery to set a tone of an emotional response. Which sure is a lot of basic stuff(and nowhere near some of the hyperbole gamertwits throw at it sometimes like "it's like controlling a poem") but it was certainly a far more interesting game than

-More f*cking Assassins Creed
-More f*cking Halo
-Mass Effect 3

for my money.

Plus the online stuff was unique, and kind of fun. I was totally surprised how buddy/buddy you could get with the other person without communicating all that much, and was really shocked when I found out it wasn't the same person. Game is very minimalistic, but I like that it messes with the idea of what a game is.

You would think as obsessed as some of the people on this forum are about "gaming is art", "games need to try new things", or "games need to be compelling on an emotional level" and all that jazz that a game like Journey would get some props for what it attempts instead of the countless action games that half ass it.

MirkoS77

Yea you'd think so.

I'll be honest here, I can't really say with any legitimacy I think Journey deserves it above all the others as I've not played any of the others in the above poll yet. But unless those other games are far departures from their predecessors and not just further developments and evolutions on their existing formulas and innovate in some respect (Dishonored excluded obviously as its a new IP), my vote goes to Journey. I have a hard time expressing my enthusiasm for it without spewing hyperbole.

But I think it was one game that was a large (and hugely successful) social experiment, and as you said was quite minimalistic which questioned and challenged what has traditionally defined the medium thus far. For that, it deserves much recognition and it'd please me immensely to see it get GotY. Some may see it as not really that important, but I see the pushing of boundaries and norms (even relatively small ones) as of crucial importance in any form of expression or realm of creativity. Especially in today's market of Halo and AC and ME when taking risks is seldom seen.

btw: agree on The Walking Dead, this season is so far awesome. Much more so than the first two. Can't wait 'till this Sunday...

No, The Assassin's Creed and Mass Effect franchises took huge risks and were sucessful doing so.
MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 MirkoS77

No, The Assassin's Creed and Mass Effect franchises took huge risks and were sucessful doing so.texasgoldrush

Huge risks as large as Journey's? I'd like to hear in what respects but I'm tired and headed to bed. Be happy to continue this tomorrow though.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts
[QUOTE="BPoole96"]I'm fine with any of them winning except Journey. If it wins, it may possibly be the most overrated "game" of all timedelta3074

Yep, the double standards used by cows has gotten real old. Sales haven't mattered to them all gen, but now sales are supposedly close, so now they matter again. I have a feeling Journey might win only because the VGAs thinks that will earn them some sort of credibility for not picking a more popular game and opted for a 90 minute artsy fartsy stroll through a desert.
delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 delta3074

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"]No, The Assassin's Creed and Mass Effect franchises took huge risks and were sucessful doing so.MirkoS77

Huge risks as large as Journey's? I'd like to hear in what respects but I'm tired and headed to bed. Be happy to continue this tomorrow though.

I don't know about ME 3 but Ubisoft threw everything behind assassins creed 3, they put a hell of alot of time, money and man hours into the game. 'Approximately 600 Ubisoft Montreal staff have worked on the project, supported by numerous other Ubi studios including Quebec City, Bucharest and Singapore, and Hutchinson told the latest issue of Edge that this type of massive production is a dying breed.' http://www.computerandvideogames.com/366637/assassins-creed-3-the-last-of-the-triple-a-dinosaurs/
delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 delta3074
[QUOTE="delta3074"][QUOTE="BPoole96"]I'm fine with any of them winning except Journey. If it wins, it may possibly be the most overrated "game" of all timeBPoole96

Yep, the double standards used by cows has gotten real old. Sales haven't mattered to them all gen, but now sales are supposedly close, so now they matter again. I have a feeling Journey might win only because the VGAs thinks that will earn them some sort of credibility for not picking a more popular game and opted for a 90 minute artsy fartsy stroll through a desert.

VGA's have always been a joke really.
Avatar image for deactivated-660c2894dc19c
deactivated-660c2894dc19c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#64 deactivated-660c2894dc19c
Member since 2004 • 2190 Posts

I'm fine with Dishonored, ME3 or AC3 winning. Problem of The Walking Dead is it's gameplay. We're talking about games after all and gameplay is the most important factor. Gameplay of The Walking Dead mostly walking around, solving really easy puzzles and QTEs. It's more of an interactive movie, not a game.

Haven't played Journey, so can't say anything about it.

Blazerdt47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Blazerdt47
Member since 2004 • 5671 Posts

[QUOTE="MirkoS77"]

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"]No, The Assassin's Creed and Mass Effect franchises took huge risks and were sucessful doing so.delta3074

I don't know about ME 3 but Ubisoft threw everything behind assassins creed 3, they put a hell of alot of time, money and man hours into the game. 'Approximately 600 Ubisoft Montreal staff have worked on the project, supported by numerous other Ubi studios including Quebec City, Bucharest and Singapore, and Hutchinson told the latest issue of Edge that this type of massive production is a dying breed.' http://www.computerandvideogames.com/366637/assassins-creed-3-the-last-of-the-triple-a-dinosaurs/

So even with all that manpower behind it, it still failed and was a mediocre step up from Assassin's Creed 2. It didn't feel like 600 staff worked on it. :|

megadeth1117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 megadeth1117
Member since 2010 • 1830 Posts

[QUOTE="delta3074"][QUOTE="MirkoS77"]

Blazerdt47

So even with all that manpower behind it, it still failed and was a mediocre step up from Assassin's Creed 2. It didn't feel like 600 staff worked on it. :|

Failed? It sold 3.5 million copies in it's first week. How is that a failure?

Blazerdt47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Blazerdt47
Member since 2004 • 5671 Posts

[QUOTE="Blazerdt47"]

[QUOTE="delta3074"]I don't know about ME 3 but Ubisoft threw everything behind assassins creed 3, they put a hell of alot of time, money and man hours into the game. 'Approximately 600 Ubisoft Montreal staff have worked on the project, supported by numerous other Ubi studios including Quebec City, Bucharest and Singapore, and Hutchinson told the latest issue of Edge that this type of massive production is a dying breed.' http://www.computerandvideogames.com/366637/assassins-creed-3-the-last-of-the-triple-a-dinosaurs/megadeth1117

I meant failed as a game. So RE6 and COD didn't fail because they sold millions right? I'm saying AC3 was hyped to kingdom come as one of the greatest, most ambitious games from Ubisoft or any developer in general. It didn't play as well as I thought it would.
redskins26rocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 redskins26rocs
Member since 2009 • 2674 Posts
i really dont care, mainly because halo 4 or borderlands 2 are not on the list. ME3 will win game of the year and in my opinion that game does not deserve anything other than maybe tps of the year. I would love to see walking dead, journey, or dishonored take the award, but i doubt that will happen. If they gave any of those titles game of the year they would loose tons of their viewers that love me3 which is alot compared to any other title on that list except ac3
MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 MirkoS77

[QUOTE="MirkoS77"]

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"]No, The Assassin's Creed and Mass Effect franchises took huge risks and were sucessful doing so.delta3074

Which is to be expected for a game of that scope. Regardless, Assassin's Creed was a proven successful IP with two previous installments at the time of 3's development and release. AAA games may be a dying breed (God one can only hope so) but I don't think it was that much of a gamble at all, just as I don't believe the next Halo or CoD is a big risk. There's no way they would have put such resources behind it if they didn't believe it would be a success. I can pretty much guarantee you if both Journey and AC 3 were presented to a publisher aside each other, the publisher would choose AC 3 every time. Sure, a much heavier investment, but with history and sales numbers to assuage and lessen their doubts.

Journey on the other hand was developed by a very VERY small company (18 people worked on it) with only two relatively small games to their credit before it. Not only that, they decided to move the focus off of game mechanics and more onto the emotional aspect than anything else, and their approach to demonstrate how multiplayer could be effectively utilized in such small a scope and through such rudimentary means yet still enabled each player to work out their own systems of communication was brilliant and risky as it'd never been attempted before.

Ubisoft, as big of a company as it is with other IPs under its belt, could've weathered the storm had AC3 not been successful. Journey was developed by an independent studio with two very basic games in terms of development with a new IP that was changing the focus away from what has made gaming traditionally what they have been known for while experimenting with something never done previously. If Journey had bombed, would Thatgamecompany still be alive? I doubt it.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#70 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22676 Posts

Using logic the answer is Mass Effect 3.

padaporra
Agreed.. easily my favorite game of the year.
megadeth1117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 megadeth1117
Member since 2010 • 1830 Posts

[QUOTE="megadeth1117"]

[QUOTE="Blazerdt47"]

Blazerdt47

I meant failed as a game.

So because you personally didn't like it, that means it was a complete failure?

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

dont really care the VGA's are horrible crap advertisement in an awards show diguise I've not watched spike tv since netflix got the next generation series.

CleanPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#73 CleanPlayer
Member since 2008 • 9822 Posts
The Walking Dead game should win. I haven't played Journey yet but that should be a contender as well
texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 texasgoldrush
The Walking Dead game should win. I haven't played Journey yet but that should be a contender as wellCleanPlayer
No it shouldn't....it is an 80's MC game....and Journey is too short. Far Cry 3 should have been nominated, they cut it off too early.
Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#75 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

AC3 its the most bro game of those,

James161324
Are we in some parallel universe where AC3 is a bro game? Really?
TheDidact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 TheDidact
Member since 2012 • 3986 Posts
Why should we care about the awards part of the Spike Video Game Announcements? That's like caring about which movie wins in the MTV Movie Awards.
topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#77 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

Mountain dew.