Who have you lost an argument to?

• 72 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

fuzzysquash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 0

#1 fuzzysquash
Member since 2004 • 17374 Posts

On System Wars, we argue.

Most of the time, it's natural human instinct to "claim ownage" and enjoy winning arguments.

But let's flip the instinct on its head. Be honest: who have you lost an argument to?

Mine was against a poster named Ryujin_X, who was here a long time ago. I remember we argued over Ninety Nine Nights for a long time, the specifics of which I don't remember, until I finally admitted defeat. Thereafter we became good friends.

A real Cinderella story, ain't it?

So who've you lost to, and what was the argument about?

BigDizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 BigDizz
Member since 2004 • 2592 Posts
I never lose!
BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 BumFluff122
Member since 2004 • 14853 Posts
I don't remember. Probably the majority of posters here will say they won and the other arguers will say they won instead.
sam890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 sam890
Member since 2005 • 1119 Posts
I have lost to OGtiago and others i cant mention
i-lick-monkeys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 i-lick-monkeys
Member since 2007 • 2971 Posts

Im ashamed to say this

jegjimi

or how ever you spell it :(

Grive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Grive
Member since 2006 • 2971 Posts

I don't really remember too well, I usually don't say things dumb enough to be absoulely "owned". I'm sure at some point or another Vandalvideo has gotten the best of me, and once I think t'was Redfingers, based on some really bad info I had regarding the PS3.

I'm pretty sure there have been others, but right now, I can't remember.

Edit: Once I did have to apologize to Magical_Zebra. Some nonsense about motorcycles in PGR4 where we were talking about different things and I kinda got arrogant about it, and quickly got put in my place. I got more respect for the guy after that :D

I don't remember. Probably the majority of posters here will say they won and the other arguers will say they won instead.BumFluff122

Pretty much. I know I have dozens of "discussions" I've "lost" mainly because the other was (I hope acting) so blind and irrational that I pretty much gave up on - which usually includes their void claim to supremacy because I've decided to stop answering.

I'm hoping this thread is kept honest.

KillaHalo2o9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 KillaHalo2o9
Member since 2006 • 5305 Posts
Don't remember
gromit007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 gromit007
Member since 2006 • 3024 Posts

I guess I have lost a few to -Renegade/InfamousC. Mind you it was by default as the arguments were never completed. My head just began to hurt from beating it against my keyboard, and I had to bow out.

And there was this one guy that I was arguing about excess PS3 60GB stock....If only I could remember who it was...I went to bed on that one.

BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BumFluff122
Member since 2004 • 14853 Posts

I don't really remember too well, I usually don't say things dumb enough to be absoulely "owned". I'm sure at some point or another Vandalvideo has gotten the best of me, and once I think t'was Redfingers, based on some really bad info I had regarding the PS3.

I'm pretty sure there have been others, but right now, I can't remember.

[QUOTE="BumFluff122"]I don't remember. Probably the majority of posters here will say they won and the other arguers will say they won instead.Grive

Pretty much. I know I have dozens of "discussions" I've "lost" mainly because the other was (I hope acting) so blind and irrational that I pretty much gave up on - which usually includes their void claim to supremacy because I've decided to stop answering.

I'm hoping this thread is kept honest.

The same as me. Everyone who begins an argument is stubbornly sure that they are correct even if given the statistics or facts. I'm sure I've been responsible for that once or twice myself as has everyone else.
JPOBS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JPOBS
Member since 2007 • 9675 Posts

Target_Dog is probably the only person to ever beat me in an arguement. Thats not to say however that i've "beaten" everyone else i've ever debated.

CakeorrDeath almost had me once too, but we just decided that we'd agree to disagree.

I've also had some nice run ins with blackbond, and Shungo (i miss that dude). Theres a bunch of sheep too who are pretty good.

Grive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Grive
Member since 2006 • 2971 Posts

The same as me. Everyone who begins an argument is stubbornly sure that they are correct even if given the statistics or facts. I'm sure I've been responsible for that once or twice myself as has everyone else.BumFluff122

Yeah, I'm sure I have. I do try not to make any nonsensical arguments or flatly make stuff up, but I've been mistaken and defended my wrong opinion quite harshly.

sam890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 sam890

Target_Dog is probably the only person to ever beat me in an arguement. Thats not to say however that i've "beaten" everyone else i've ever debated.

CakeorrDeath almost had me once too, but we just decided that we'd agree to disagree.

I've also had some nice run ins with blackbond, and Shungo (i miss that dude). Theres a bunch of sheep too who are pretty good.

JPOBS

The Mature Sheep are hard to arugewith XD

mutenpika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mutenpika
Member since 2004 • 2940 Posts

Teufelhuhn.

I argued that the RSX's performance could be increased quite a bit because of Nvidia's famous drivers. He said there would be too many complications. I said Nvidia was too good at making drivers for that to happen, and I didn't see how it would hurt previous compatibility too badly,

Then Vista released and Nvidia's ineptitude for drivers on anything but a platform they have a perfect knowledge of came to light. I'd say he won that one de facto.

Other than that, I can't think of any other lost arguments. I had a stalemate with foamingpanda when both of us realized about the same time that despite outward appearances, the subject we were arguing about came down to preference. We both left. There was also that other time where I started an argument with TheOneMan who basically brushed it off, saying "I'd rather not argue, I don't really want to." That's not saying he was backing out, as he had a defensible position, but he just didn't want to. We instead ended up having a friendly discussion, which was more fun anyway.

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#15 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

that would have to be vandalvideo. he gets into all kinds of arguments so I'm not sure if he remembers.

anyway, it was in a thread about metroid prime 3's controls and their potential (the game wasn't out yet I think). The thread turned big because it became a thread about whether or not the wii's control interface offered anything to gaming (I think it became like fifty pages). That's when vandalvideo (hermit?) and kansasdude (sheep) got into a huge debate about it, and vandalvideo took the position of "It's just subjective, no controller interface is better than any other". I came into the thread (me= sheep), knowing that kansasdude was right and joined in their arguement. There might have been a timezone difference because kansasdude had to go to sleep, but I still hashed it out with vandal for like 10 pages more. It ended with me frustrated and exhausted,about how I could possibly dent his shield of "It's just subjective, no controller interface is better than any other", so I just left telling him he won and that there was nothing left for me to say. I should reread that thread, I had some smoking args in it

flintgijoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 flintgijoe
Member since 2004 • 1954 Posts

Not sure you can simply classify arguments as winning and loosing. Most of the time we are arguing over a variety of opinions, and they aren't black or white.

Some opinions are of... hmm... shall we say less merit? ("PS3 is actually winning!" [If you go by games sold after 8pm on nights when there is a full moon in Southern Florida.])

Other opinions are formed out of misinformation. ("Epic says UT3 isn't coming to 360!")

Some are formed by taking stuff out of context. ("Halo 3 sales sucked, it couldn't even outsell Halo 2!")

Others are just plain stupid. ("Gamespot is biased against Nintendo/Xbox/PS3")

Still, even if you are defending an unpopular position, you havn't really lost unless you accept defeat.

Zeliard9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Zeliard9
Member since 2007 • 6030 Posts

that would have to be vandalvideo. he gets into all kinds of arguments so I'm not sure if he remembers.

anyway, it was in a thread about metroid prime 3's controls and their potential (the game wasn't out yet I think). The thread turned big because it became a thread about whether or not the wii's control interface offered anything to gaming (I think it became like fifty pages). That's when vandalvideo (hermit?) and kansasdude (sheep) got into a huge debate about it, and vandalvideo took the position of "It's just subjective, no controller interface is better than any other". I came into the thread (me= sheep), knowing that kansasdude was right and joined in their arguement. There might have been a timezone difference because kansasdude had to go to sleep, but I still hashed it out with vandal for like 10 pages more. It ended with me frustrated and exhausted,about how I could possibly dent his shield of "It's just subjective, no controller interface is better than any other", so I just left telling him he won and that there was nothing left for me to say. I should reread that thread, I had some smoking args in it

GunSmith1_basic

How did you lose that argument? You could've just said that the Wii-mote offers significantly better control in shooters than a gamepad with analog sticks, so it does offer something to gaming: a much more responsive and flexible control scheme for console shooters, which are a very popular genre.

peter360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 peter360
Member since 2005 • 244 Posts
im a fanboy. i never lose
sam890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 sam890

im a fanboy. i never losepeter360

-_- lol

blizzvalve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20 blizzvalve
Member since 2007 • 14052 Posts

I've won every arguement I fought

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#21 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
You could've just said that the Wii-mote offers significantly better control in shooters than a gamepad with analog sticks, so it does offer something to gaming: a much more responsive and flexible control scheme for console shooters, which are a very popular genre.Zeliard9
To that I think I said, "Some people prefer gimped controllers, why else would a console gamer ever prefer a gamepad over a mouse and keyboard?" It was over a few months ago. I remember one time me and Spartan070 hit an impasse, and a long time ago I got beat by some guy, can't remember his name started with an A.... something snake... I don't remember.
Thompsonwhore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Thompsonwhore
Member since 2003 • 2059 Posts

I've been here a relatively short amount of time. As far as I can remember, I haven't lost an argument yet.

But I look forward to when I do.

agentfred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 agentfred
Member since 2003 • 5666 Posts
I once was forced to comprimise with Krazy_duck, I don't know if he's still around, but he was pretty good while he was at it.
Zeliard9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Zeliard9

[QUOTE="Zeliard9"] You could've just said that the Wii-mote offers significantly better control in shooters than a gamepad with analog sticks, so it does offer something to gaming: a much more responsive and flexible control scheme for console shooters, which are a very popular genre.Vandalvideo
To that I think I said, "Some people prefer gimped controllers, why else would a console gamer ever prefer a gamepad over a mouse and keyboard?" It was over a few months ago. I remember one time me and Spartan070 hit an impasse, and a long time ago I got beat by some guy, can't remember his name started with an A.... something snake... I don't remember.

Hahaha. That's actually a really good point. :P I wouldn't put it past many to still use analog sticks to aim in shooters even if they were given the option for some type of motion-sensing.

....dammit, did I just lose an argument?

Kushstrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Kushstrain
Member since 2005 • 800 Posts
They all lost to me!!! 8)
agentfred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 agentfred

[QUOTE="Zeliard9"] You could've just said that the Wii-mote offers significantly better control in shooters than a gamepad with analog sticks, so it does offer something to gaming: a much more responsive and flexible control scheme for console shooters, which are a very popular genre.Vandalvideo

Yes, but you never went down without an extremely long, drawn out fight.:P

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#27 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts
btw, I admit I lost that argument that doesn't mean that I think that vandal is correct. I still think that the wii's controls, especially the cursor, offer a different experience than other kinds of control. It's not the wii's fault that I couldn't come up with that extra arguement :P
excelR83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 excelR83
Member since 2003 • 2932 Posts

i can't really recall losing an argument here, since arguments rarely end. They end up being my opinion vs your opinion and never really end up being resolved.

On other sites, about other subjects, I have won and lost arguments, and we also usually become friends afterwards. It's funny how that works out.

kansasdude2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#29 kansasdude2009
Member since 2006 • 11802 Posts

JPOBS

I think sheep are the only fanboys that actually fight with logic from my experience. They don't really attack others but are more accepting. But.... hurt them and they explode with information... its really funny to watch.

Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Jynxzor
Member since 2003 • 9313 Posts
I have a real bad habit of defending a opinion even when I know I'm wrong so I've been beat a few times by numerous people, I gotta admit though sometimes I suprise myself at how well I am at defending my point.
Zeliard9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Zeliard9

btw, I admit I lost that argument that doesn't mean that I think that vandal is correct. I still think that the wii's controls, especially the cursor, offer a different experience than other kinds of control. It's not the wii's fault that I couldn't come up with that extra arguement :PGunSmith1_basic

The argument you and Vandal had basically all depends on the future. There's no right answer yet, we gotta wait and see if a Wii-mote type of controller is adopted as the standard next generation across all platforms. And I'm not talking about the Six-Axis. There's no question the Wii-mote offers much better control when it comes to aiming, but if other consoles are still using analog next-gen, then it didn't make much of an impact on gaming.

Mordred19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Mordred19
Member since 2007 • 8259 Posts

I've never lost an arugement to anyone ever. If I did, I simply applied doublethink so I would forget losing, and even forget the act of forgetting about losing.:P

Seriously though, I remember making a fool of myself trying to argue with some PC gamers and I wastrying to justify the 360 version of Bioshock over the PC in any way. One of them had a Quagmire avatar and a sig about ciggarettes or something like smoking(I can't keep track of who's who). I kept saying stuff like "but, but the RAM! The OS! The optimization!" They just fired back with solid responses and I couldn't keep up with making any valid points. I didn't exactly concede the arguement so much as I started complaining abou how my laptop won't accept driver updates. One of the PC gamers I was argueing with started trying to help mefigure out my PCproblem, which I appreciated.

gingerdivid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33 gingerdivid
Member since 2006 • 7206 Posts

Loose? ......Blaspheme

kansasdude2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 kansasdude2009

Loose? ......Blaspheme

gingerdivid

ginger... you have lost so many times. Just... no *shakes head*

gingerdivid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35 gingerdivid
Member since 2006 • 7206 Posts
[QUOTE="gingerdivid"]

Loose? ......Blaspheme

kansasdude2009

ginger... you have lost so many times. Just... no *shakes head*

Not when I've acted sane.... (basically, the last 6 months)
Zeliard9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Zeliard9

I've never lost an arugement to anyone ever. If I did, I simply applied doublethink so I would forget losing, and even forget the act of forgetting about losing.:P

Seriously though, I remember making a fool of myself trying to argue with some PC gamers and I wastrying to justify the 360 version of Bioshock over the PC in any way. One of them had a Quagmire avatar and a sig about ciggarettes or something like smoking(I can't keep track of who's who). I kept saying stuff like "but, but the RAM! The OS! The optimization!" They just fired back with solid responses and I couldn't keep up with making any valid points. I didn't exactly concede the arguement so much as I started complaining abou how my laptop won't accept driver updates. One of the PC gamers I was argueing with started trying to help mefigure out my PCproblem, which I appreciated.

Mordred19

A microcosm of PC vs anything arguments. :P

kansasdude2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 kansasdude2009

Not when I've acted sane.... (basically, the last 6 months)gingerdivid

True... I have not seen many "Ginger says: _____________" posts lately, or you claiming to be a videogame historian, or randomly switching sides to gain attention.

Lemmywinks_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Lemmywinks_360
Member since 2007 • 1996 Posts
I once lost to my clone but he aint around anymore. He had an "accident":twisted:
manny280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 manny280
Member since 2007 • 1990 Posts

I lost to hmm i dnt remember its been a while though if it everhappened

JPOBS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 JPOBS
[QUOTE="JPOBS"]

kansasdude2009

I think sheep are the only fanboys that actually fight with logic from my experience. They don't really attack others but are more accepting. But.... hurt them and they explode with information... its really funny to watch.

Yep thats pretty much how a sheep reacts. I've had more than my share of debates with sheep.

JPOBS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 JPOBS

i think most people dont even realize when they've gotten spanked.

web966

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#42 web966
Member since 2005 • 11654 Posts
Im sure Ive lost many arguments, but i cant seem to think of any right now.
agentfred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 agentfred

i think most people dont even realize when they've gotten spanked.

JPOBS

I think the problem is that you hardly ever recognize your lose unless you been beaten into submission.

papa_smurf_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 papa_smurf_23
Member since 2007 • 544 Posts
the closest i've ever gotten to losing an argument was with dualshockin over the exclusivity of ninja gaiden sigma
iunderstand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 iunderstand
Member since 2006 • 3201 Posts
I don't remember any arguments I've won or lost. Usually when I'm posting on System Wars it's in a flamebaited haze.
D0013ER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 D0013ER
Member since 2007 • 3765 Posts
Maybe this is just my ego talking, but I've bowed out of an argument with that Pariah guy before. I don't really remember what it was about, only that we just seemed to keep coming back to the same assertions and generally getting nowhere with it all.
dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#47 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16019 Posts

Several people in the past have proven me wrong. I don't remember their names because it was long ago.

But these days it's nearly impossible to own me...due to the fact that I thoroughly research things and post from an unbiased perspective.

SeanBond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 SeanBond
Member since 2003 • 2136 Posts

Several people in the past have proven me wrong. I don't remember their names because it was long ago.

But these days it's nearly impossible to own me...due to the fact that I thoroughly research things and post from an unbiased perspective.

dracula_16

Yeah, just like in real life, it's a lot harder to lose an argument when you acknowledge the valid points of the other side, while still explaining why you think your ideas are more correct. Too bad most people on System Wars aren't interested in agreeing with other people, at all...:P

Sir_Marwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Sir_Marwin
Member since 2006 • 9734 Posts
I have never been in an argument :(
Juggernaut140

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Juggernaut140
Member since 2007 • 36011 Posts

I think I lost a mini arguement about Half Life 2 to Skrat, but most of the time people just seem to ignore me :cry:

I mean I'm not saying anything fanboyish or crazy.