Which VR headset will you buy?

• 109 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Myron117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Poll Which VR headset will you buy? (110 votes)

Oculus Rift 15%
Htc Vive 23%
Playstation VR 28%
Gear VR 4%
None 33%
Im still on the fence 15%
Other 6%
 • 
Myron117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#51 Myron117
Member since 2013 • 1449 Posts

@Sandulf29: but have you tried it? It's extremely immerse. The same could have been said 50 years ago "people sitting in front of the TV like zombies, no thanks".

Sandulf29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52  Edited By Sandulf29
Member since 2010 • 14330 Posts

@Myron117: I tried it. Its uncomfortable and strained my eyes. So yeah no thanks. It might be immersive but I care more about my health

dante1972

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 dante1972
Member since 2004 • 934 Posts

Playstation. Already pre-ordered.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#54  Edited By GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

None as of yet, I can't afford to jump in right now. I'm also not overly impressed by the games on offer either so I think I'll wait a year or so and see if it takes off. When I do though it'll likely be Vive or Rift.

LEGEND_C4A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 LEGEND_C4A
Member since 2003 • 3186 Posts

I bought the Samsung Gear VR, and after playing something as simple as Dreadhalls on my phone, I can honestly say I'm looking forward to buying the Playstation VR.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#57 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I'm not sure, but OR and PSVR are the lead contenders for me. I'm looking for something affordable and fun, and the roomspace with the bulkier headset is not for me. 90% of the time I don't think I'd be in the mood for moving around either / I'm more interested in cockpit type gaming experiences in VR. Maybe 2nd or 3rd gen, when the whole shebang is cheaper and lighter with less tripping-over-cables and more compelling full motion content I'll look to the full room space experience

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#58 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

I'll go with the poorman's VR aka PSVR and see how I like it. Further when I get a new PC I'll think about it, depending on what the market offers at the time.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#59  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17658 Posts

@btginferno said:

@MirkoS77:

I have the gear VR and honestly it's cool but the games are not that impressive. It's not worth the hundreds of dollars these other companies are charging.

The Gear VR is $100, the Vive is $800. It includes room scale and hand controllers, so basing your perception on the former is not going to give you the full picture and is a very poor way to judge VR.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

None, not gonna waste money on a worthless gimmick.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#61 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

All.

Just kidding. I skipped the Gear VR but I have both an Oculus and a Vive right now, and I have a PSVR pre-ordered. I'm really enjoying both.

-Byshop

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#62 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

None, but I probably will buy one next console gen.

Avatar image for deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
deactivated-58abb194ab6fb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
Member since 2010 • 3984 Posts

None

salman261802

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#65 salman261802
Member since 2011 • 107 Posts

i have not seen any worthy games for any of the VR's yet for the price to be justifiable

i mean the lowest price for any one of them is at lest 400$ which is the price of a console

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man: Gert is right, it is not good games yet, and lol he looks very bored with VR but have to do it just because his site^^

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#67 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

@aroxx_ab said:

@FireEmblem_Man: Gert is right, it is not good games yet, and lol he looks very bored with VR but have to do it just because his site^^

Of course! There's no compelling software that will want me to jump into the VR Bandwagaon, it's why I'm waiting for that to come out and when it's cheaper.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By MirkoS77

@btginferno said:

@MirkoS77: I disagree whether or not it scales my room and gives me a virtual backdrop of my room or not doesn't matter at all to me. Not even a little bit. What matters is how well it immerses you and ultimately the games. You look at games for the VR headsets and they're not impressive. As for hand controllers I'd rather have an actual controller in my hand. I've tried oculus rift. (The actual software that uses the equipment and needs a computer to opporate) and it was like a two minute ride on a roller coaster type setting. Cool for the first dozen times you've seen it but that's not going to give you a fresh experience everytime or even hold your Interest for a couple years. Air go it's not worth $800. We need solid triple A games for something like this. It has potential but not a brand new computer and an $800 price tag potential.

You speak about the importance of immersion, yet immediately beforehand you dismiss room scale and hand controls, the very two things that many who've tried the Vive testify to as to what makes it so immersive in the first place. How can you say you'd rather have a controller in your hand when you've yet to experience otherwise? How do you know? That's a statement predicated half upon ignorance and shows a closed mindset.

I look at VR games now and by first appearance, they are not impressive. I agree. But they're not because I'm viewing them within a context of what I know and relative to another medium that's had years to evolve and improve. I'm looking at them through a lens of games like The Witcher 3, or Skyrim, or any other AAA game out there and with the belief I'm going to be playing them with a traditional controller. Of course they're not going to be impressive when looked at in such a light. But VR is an entirely different experience, and I've no doubt that these simple games (tech demos pretty much) are going to blossom into something special when they are tailored to VR's strengths. Obviously the initial software is going to be very rudimentary as this is a brand new technology that developers are still grasping. I'm expecting this going in. But it's ludicrous that so many complain because we're not immediately seeing some massive, 300+ hour long RPG come out on launch day that looks like Crysis. Do people honestly believe these are reasonable expectations, and furthermore, ones to base the success/failure of VR on?

Finally, you say it's not worth $800 due to people getting tired of the same experiences over and over. And I can't say the same thing about games as we experience them now on consoles......because? By your reasoning, consoles are not worth $400 because they're not going to be giving me fresh experiences? No, new software will release. What makes you believe this won't happen with VR?

Where did you try the Rift, btw?

The-A-Baum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 The-A-Baum
Member since 2015 • 1370 Posts

Just saw a YouTube video by The Know saying sales projections have been adjusted to be way lower than originally anticipated.

The games suck so far and are overpriced.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

I plan to get a PSVR and HTC Vive.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

Need killer apps before I think about buying any.

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts

Already bought the HTC Vive and just spent the last 5 hours playing VR games on it.

Also watched a tv show with it for the big screen experience.

Erin_Everett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Erin_Everett
Member since 2016 • 44 Posts

Unlike some people (ahem), I'm not immediately kneejerk-against anything that could be considered a gimmick. I also had a vaguely okay experience with some Google Cardboard apps on my mobile. It's just that, like pretty much anything on mobile that isn't a port of an old console or PC game, it doesn't hold your attention for long. I'm crossing my fingers that console VR will be good in a handful of years, when developers have time to experiment with it.

As an answer to that poll? "Whichever one seems to support the most good games when I have the cash," I guess. I'll mark myself as being on the fence. Why anyone would sit on one of those uncomfortable things is beyond me, though!

RekonMeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 RekonMeister
Member since 2016 • 784 Posts

None.

Still prefer reality.

Erin_Everett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Erin_Everett

@rekonmeister said:

None.

Still prefer reality.

Why are you on a gaming website, then? :P

RekonMeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 RekonMeister
Member since 2016 • 784 Posts

@erin_everett said:
@rekonmeister said:

None.

Still prefer reality.

I'm waiting for my game to finish downloading on Steam.

VR though would just make my eyes hurt, plus i like spacial awareness, i mean my mind cannot unplug from reality, i tried it before.

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts

@rekonmeister said:
@erin_everett said:
@rekonmeister said:

None.

Still prefer reality.

VR though would just make my eyes hurt, plus i like spacial awareness, i mean my mind cannot unplug from reality, i tried it before.

Was just playing with my Vive and I came across the weirdest feeling.

I was in game and my brain told me it was ok to lean against the counter in VR.

It's also hard to walk through objects in the game as your brain will tell you it's wrong.

Erin_Everett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Erin_Everett

@RyviusARC said:
@rekonmeister said:
@erin_everett said:
@rekonmeister said:

None.

Still prefer reality.

Was just playing with my Vive and I came across the weirdest feeling.

I was in game and my brain told me it was ok to lean against the counter in VR.

It's also hard to walk through objects in the game as your brain will tell you it's wrong.

Well, that stuff's all stuff you'd adjust to as you get used to it. Like touchscreens. I still can't type on the dang things, and yet I see people rapid-firing out texts on their phones like it ain't no thang. It's magic. It has to be magic. And somehow nobody remembered to teach me the trick. : /

soapandbubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By soapandbubbles
Member since 2010 • 3412 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@SolidTy said:

None.

Loading Video...

^This Even Giant Bomb isn't so excited with VR as well as no compelling software to even think its worth getting into VR

Lol he plays the crappiest games, youtube VR horror games (paranormal activity or doors of silence to name a few)

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By MirkoS77

@btginferno said:

@MirkoS77: first off I tried oculus rift at comi-con. Secondly I said the games ultimately matter. Exactly the technology is rudimentary at best. So can you blame someone for wanting to wait? The selection of games is limited too. The VR is a GAMING device. Air go you need more solid titles. Of course we aren't expecting to see skyrim and Witcher 3 right off the bat but you're going to tell me that with all that advanced technology they can't put together a 4 hour rpg or shooter with a good story line. Really?? No one even knows how big VR will be so if you're going to break into a new field of gaming you better bring some dope titles. It's disappointing right now. You will not get over $1000 of value from a virtual reality roller coaster a couple videos and very very disappointing games. Later I have no doubt VR will blossom but right now it's not. And we are talking about right now. Not 10 years down the road. Number 2 if I'm playing an immersive game stillI want a controller in my hand bc that's what I'm used to. People hate change. And so do I. Will I try alternate controls? Of course. But im used to a controller. I'm a gamer. That's what gamers like bc that's what they know. Third the consoles aren't the experience. The games are. The consoles can only take the experience so far. It's up to the developers of games and industries to provide that experience. So that goes back to the no titles on VR. If you're not having fun with the games (and I'm not) then it's not worth it. Period.

So now your argument is to wait?

VR is not just a gaming device, it applies to a broad spectrum of fields. How can you say the titles are disappointing when, by your own admittance, you've even yet to try them? Seeing a 360 video on a Rift sitting in a chair doesn't qualify you, and it's ridiculous to say the value of VR should be based on that ("You will not get over $1000 of value from a virtual reality roller coaster a couple videos and very very disappointing games"). Very, very disappointing? And this comes from your experience with these games? From what I'm hearing from those who've actually played them, Audio Shield, Vanishing Realms, and Space Pirate Trainer among others are all entertaining titles. Yes, basic, but fun nonetheless. As to not knowing whether VR will be big, according to the market research firm Tractica, it's set to explode:

"The stakes are high given the huge amount of money invested in the industry by some of the world’s biggest companies. Consequently, industry players continue fine-tuning their products so as not to muddy the water for all involved. Tractica believes that these efforts will bear fruit in the coming years, and that combined revenue for HMDs, VR accessories, and VR content will increase from $108.8 million in 2014 to $21.8 billion worldwide by 2020, with a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 142%".

Not much for argumentum ad verecundiam, but I'll still much sooner take the word of a consulting firm who has taken all the variables into account in their analysis, all the major businesses who've invested billions, and the testimonials from people who've tried true VR (as in, has motion controls at the very least) and have claimed it mind blowing as to have much more credence than yours or anyone else who ignorantly dismisses it. You made no indication you were discussing VR's short term prospects only in your initial post, so that's what we've been discussing, but its sounds to me like you have a lot of doubt to its future. Also, how do you know you'll hate what VR offers until you try it? As in, with room scale and 1:1 hand motion controllers? Why try it if you've already decided you'll hate it? No, I don't think you'll try alternate controls, considering you've already passed judgement on the games using them without even using them yourself. I'm a gamer as well, and you know what I like? Fresh experiences that are executed well. From what I'm hearing of those that own the Vive, it's not just cool, it's amazing.

It's fair enough if it's not worth it to YOU presently, fine. If that's your position instead of claiming it not worth it at all. But to sit there and say it's just not worth it, period, stemming from ignorance is dumb. Open your mind and give it a chance, you may end up loving it.

EvanTheGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 EvanTheGamer
Member since 2009 • 1550 Posts

So far I'm set on PSVR and Samsung VR.

Not gonna touch Oculus until they take out the Facebook/always online bs

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

Just another gimmick. Seriously who wants to play a game for more than 10 -15 minutes with some shit strapped to your face?

No thank you.

EvanTheGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 EvanTheGamer
Member since 2009 • 1550 Posts

@flyincloud1116 said:
@iandizion713 said:

None, im waiting for NX, no room for gimmicks.

The irony.

Lmfao rekt

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 MirkoS77

@btginferno: was that a glitch, or did you delete your post?

soapandbubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 soapandbubbles
Member since 2010 • 3412 Posts

@emgesp said:

Just another gimmick. Seriously who wants to play a game for more than 10 -15 minutes with some shit strapped to your face?

No thank you.

try it first, silly.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#88 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

I'll get the PlayStation VR and whatever Apple brings to the table- but not right away for either.

Seanh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Seanh
Member since 2015 • 203 Posts

I'll be getting the PSVR - Only because it's the ''easiest'' one for me to buy.

I've only had a go on the Gear VR but that hooked me enough.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 MirkoS77

@charizard1605 said:

I'll get the PlayStation VR and whatever Apple brings to the table- but not right away for either.

Go for the Vive, Char! You know you want to.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#91 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@MirkoS77: Haha, that would be the ideal headset to get, but I don't have $800 to spend right now, sadly :(

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 MirkoS77

@charizard1605 said:

@MirkoS77: Haha, that would be the ideal headset to get, but I don't have $800 to spend right now, sadly :(

Have you got a gaming PC yet?

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#93 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

Wiimote failed, tablet and mobile gaming is a fad,,,while I think VR has some longevity over them, and it could potentially be the next evolution in gaming, I'm still not very interested at all.

Would have to see the games and support for each of the devices before making any sort of purchasing decision. I know Insomniac currently has 3 games releasing for Rift this year, but still not a good enough reason to go out and preorder one.

Myron117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Myron117
Member since 2013 • 1449 Posts

@emgesp: I do get frustrated when i hear people say this. If you've tried it, fair enough but if you haven't, how can you say any of this? Its like saying "i dont like the look of the 1080p TV's compared to my CRT, even though i've never turned it on".

You have to try it before you can truely decide.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#95 kvally
Member since 2014 • 8445 Posts

Looks like most people are getting none or Vive/Rift. Poor PSVR getting boned. VirtualFlop

freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 109

#96 freedom01  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 3676 Posts

@kvally said:

Looks like most people are getting none or Vive/Rift. Poor PSVR getting boned. VirtualFlop

? the poll shows more PS VR than Vive/Rift

BTGinferno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By BTGinferno
Member since 2016 • 14 Posts

No i got banned for a minute. But I contacted support and they lifted the ban.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#98 kvally
Member since 2014 • 8445 Posts

@freedom01 said:
@kvally said:

No, the poll shows that 74% of the people are doing something OTHER than PSVR.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#99 aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

@kvally said:
@freedom01 said:
@kvally said:

No, the poll shows that 74% of the people are doing something OTHER than PSVR.

By that logic, everything is a flop

Guy_Brohski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#100  Edited By Guy_Brohski
Member since 2013 • 2221 Posts

I won't consider VR until they have 4K displays.