Where does system wars stand on Nier Automata?

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22719 Posts

Nier A is the game that I want to love, but I can't. I want to be able to appreciate the way it handles multiple endings and characters and gameplay, I want to appreciate its APPROACH to being unique and engaging... I mean, 3rd person action sliding effortlessly into a 2d bullet hell, back to a twin stick shooter... And so on... Its the "stuff" I like about gaming. But this game bored me...

Ultimately I move quick and the ask of hanging around the same locals and complete multiple 15 hour play through to peel back more of the story was a tall ask... Maybe a dozen different enemies that evolve a bit over time wasn't enough to keep the gameplay fresh for me... The open world felt boxed in and empty....

Here's the thing though... Theres guys like this.

https://youtu.be/-NiyfG8Ctbo

I don't think the Bible ever got a review this filled with hyperbole and unadulterated praise and glory.... Now, Im not infallable. I make mistakes and can overlook greatness, but outside the unquestionably brilliant soundtrack, I don't get the warm and fuzzies like this guy in anything else. Even combat... Am I missing something?

I guess in the end, for me I'm tired of thinking to myself, "maybe I'll go back in for another run and things will be different..." I feel like I should know it in my bones if a game is great and to me Nier is just kinda meh.

Where does system wars sit on this game?

Is nier the bland open world repetitive miss I think it is or is this game a magic eye photo that you just have to look at right in order to get it?

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45172 Posts

I'm surprised. I thought you were a fan for some reason. After the second play through, the game changes. It's definitely not a 15 hour replay lol.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44230 Posts

I still need to get this on the Xbox One one of these days, hopefully sooner rather then later.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TheEroica  Moderator

@SolidGame_basic: I was a fan leading up to release, played it quite a bit but it just didn't really go anywhere for me... I love the interviews with the developer saying how he never wants to make a game in the same genre twice. He's pretty forward thinking. I just couldn't get into it. How did you fair?

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#5 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

The demo was fun enough. Didn't prompt me to run out and buy it though. Likely I'll never own this. But if someone gifted it to me I'd have fun. I just have a lot of higher priority games to work through

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15932 Posts

I love Nier Automata. I rank it as one of my fav game of 2017 and is higher than HZD, Zelda BoTW and Hellblade in my 2017 list. Great game but is admittedly not a game for everyone, sometimes they went too overboard with the symbolism it came off pretentious. Robots are just robots, probably

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#7  Edited By deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Combat is simplistic repetitive garbage, 9S was the shitest character. The game was alright.

Loved the music though.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11613 Posts

Loved it.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45172 Posts

@TheEroica: I was kind of like you when I started the second playthrough. I didn't like the idea of replaying the game as 9S, but then I played it more and the story picks up after that and I enjoyed it. There's 5 major endings, but for the fifth one, you can chapter select to 4th playthrough and change one decision and it unlocks the ending.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127509 Posts

I loved it. But yeah the world is somewhat dead and empty. It's not a game that appeals to everyone definitely.

That_Old_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 That_Old_Guy
Member since 2018 • 1233 Posts

Great game. Haven’t played too much but what I have played I quite enjoyed.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

It's in my top 10 games of the gen. Loved it.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22379 Posts

I loved it. Great game.

FlawlessPoop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 FlawlessPoop
Member since 2017 • 168 Posts

i like it, but the 1st one i like more, the story is a bit meh but the immersion is strong with these games, the gameplay is fine, music is top.

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 pmanden
Member since 2016 • 2940 Posts

People have dramatically different opinions of this game. Personally, I think it is overrated. I did enjoy it, but it wasn't exactly a terrific experience. It is quite unique though, and it was interesting enough to complete twice, but I suggest people rent it before buying it.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

Marketing is such a strange beast. It’s ok to not like something that’s a critical darling and you shouldn’t feel bad or guilty for it. Taste is relative and not universal.

I know little about the game in question but from what I have seen it’s not my thing. I wouldn’t ever buy something someone else recommends if it’s not in my preferred genre.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TheEroica  Moderator

@Sevenizz: It's marketing was rather weak by comparison to other games though... I thin Niers rise in status is from gamers who the game really clicked with... And like, it REALLY clicked with them. I didn't feel it. :(

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61491 Posts

Stopped playing it, because the dev just didn't bother to put out any patches for the PC.

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Zidaneski
Member since 2003 • 9266 Posts

If it weren't for the music I would say it's merely a great game. Like an 8/10, above average gameplay and plot.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44577 Posts

It was good, definitely worth a play, but still left me desiring more. Refinement to combat system would be nice, also the open world design seems unneccessary, I think such a game could make a better linear hack-n-slash beat-em-up sytle action game like DMC or Bayonetta than an open world RPG.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts

One of the great ones out there a unique mix. For me game creators should always strive to find different ways a player interact with story. They should not settle on say just pure cinematic way or pure environmental story telling dialog choices etc. Some wackiness of putting story pieces together and interacting with the player and there hardware is always awesome to me. Flipping things around is welcome. That is the power of the media. Yoko Taro has always had that now they paired him up with the best gameplay studio out there to lift up his shitty gameplay is instant win for me. Some times you surprise with what you don't like TC. Your points are valid about emptiness but the overall design caries it.

AsadMahdi59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 AsadMahdi59
Member since 2005 • 7226 Posts

Played the demo, wasn't really blown away. Felt like a downgrade from Bayonetta. Also very grey.

I'm waiting for it to hit $20 before getting it.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

Interesting. I like the setting and the way the open world is designed. Felt more like a proper game world than the bland open spaces of typical open world games. I wish the combat had more depth. The story was alright. Overall, a more entertaining game than most modern games.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#24 Litchie  Online
Member since 2003 • 34629 Posts

One of those games I'd probably enjoy if I got it, but I doubt I'll ever do. Just not interested enough. If there'll be a huge discount maybe..

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

one of my favorite games this gen, i had more fun with this than gow or spiderman, the only downside was the level design/ color pallete was bleek. but the mechanics are awesome and the story actually kept me engaged, and i dont usually give a shit about story. One of the biggest surprises for me this gen, i love this game, alot of games get hyped up and disappoint, this one was the opposite for me, a pleasant surprise

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TheEroica  Moderator

@AsadMahdi59: it's definitely Bayonetta light... Not as deep, but similar combat. Spamming the dodge/roll will get you out of every scenario. Meh.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50574 Posts

@Random_Matt: Played a couple hours of it and I don't get it. Combat was boring as shit.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#28 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@TheEroica: It wasn't my thing from the demo so I never picked it up.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#29 Basinboy  Online
Member since 2003 • 14496 Posts

Similar to how I feel about KH, generally. Mechanically there is something laudable, but it’s bogged down by the narrative themes.

I immensely enjoy the robot designs and their plight. But Yorha and the android stuff is way too akin to anime tropes for me to do anything but roll my eyes.

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BoxRekt
Member since 2019 • 2425 Posts

@Random_Matt said:

Combat is simplistic repetitive garbage, 9S was the shitest character. The game was alright.

Loved the music though.

Not going to lie, I liked everything going into the game. It was the combat that ultimately turned me off.

It's better than trash like The Witcher 3 but for a Japanese action RPG I expected more. That said, hypocritical of me, if The Witcher 3 had at minimal Nier Automata level combat I'd probably enjoy playing it.

Nier combat is below my standard for a Japanese ARPG and TW3 combat was just bad. Dropped both rather quickly after a few hours of trying to find something to latch onto to continue playing but I found nothing.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#31 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts
@boxrekt said:
@Random_Matt said:

Loved the music though.

Not going to lie, I liked everything going into the game. It was the combat that ultimately turned me off.

It's better than trash like The Witcher 3 but for a Japanese action RPG I expected more. That said, hypocritical of me, if The Witcher 3 had at minimal Nier Automata level combat I'd probably enjoy playing it.

Nier combat is below my standard for a Japanese ARPG and TW3 combat was just bad. Dropped both rather quickly after a few hours of trying to find something to latch onto to continue playing but I found nothing.

I completed W3 three times, never had a problem with its mechanics.