When do you think pc exclusives died off?

• 103 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Needhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 5

Poll When do you think pc exclusives died off? (94 votes)

1980's 1%
1990's 3%
2000's 17%
2010's 13%
They are amazing still 60%
Don't know 6%

I'm a pc gamer, but honestly every day more i feel like other than getting superior multiplats and amazing strategy games pc exclusives aren't that great anymore.

I mean when was the last time someone said "omg the second coming of christ, Crysis?" I haven't felt hyped for a pc exclusive since Spore and that flopped. Don't get me started on Flop Citizen.

For me it died this gen.

• 
Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

Are you high?

Needhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Needhealing
Member since 2017 • 2041 Posts

@MBirdy88 said:

Are you high?

I don't smoke pot. Okay, I did like a month ago. But it's rare.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3  Edited By pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

There are plenty of great exclusive games from smaller companies who maybe don't have the resources to release their games on other platforms.

I think you are referring to bigger, high-budget games though. Really there's no point in keeping a game exclusive to one platform if you have the option to release it everywhere. That's just bad business. Exclusives are bad for the gaming community.

I'd prefer to see good games released on as many platforms as possible.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Still plenty amazing exclusives regularly coming out and being announced

Needhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Needhealing

@pyro1245 said:

There are plenty of great exclusive games from smaller companies who maybe don't have the resources to release their games on other platforms.

I think you are referring to bigger, high-budget games though. Really there's no point in keeping a game exclusive to one platform if you have the option to release it everywhere. That's just bad business. Exclusives are bad for the gaming community.

Okay, so basically there are barely none? Got it. I mean the ps4 and switch have amazing exclusives, so i don't see your point. Unless the pc simply isn't a viable or worthy system. Okay, I understand your point.

Johnny-n-Roger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#6  Edited By Johnny-n-Roger
Member since 2003 • 15151 Posts
@MBirdy88 said:

Are you high?

Exclusives didn't "die off" but they certainly aren't as prevalent as they were in the 2000s with releases like Deus Ex, Diablo 2, Thief 2, Battlefield 1942, Call of Duty, Doom 3, Half Life 2, and Crysis just to name a few. Of these franchises that didn't die, most have become consolized ports. The PC still has exclusives, but it doesn't have near the AAA representation it used to. At least since the late 2000's and the Call of Duty craze.

bigfootpart2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By bigfootpart2
Member since 2013 • 1131 Posts

Exclusives aren't much of a thing in general these days. The big games that everyone is playing are nearly all multiplatform.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

To answer the question seriously, there is a completely different culture in PC gaming. And this forum is a terrible representation of what people really think of "Exclusives".

Yea sure, you don't see HZD/Uncharted/TLOU equivalent style games in development because why would a PC-specific dev want to bother they would be multiplat by default. they don't have a massive publisher and console engineers to make something shiny/efficient on a cheaper budget.... and moving onto the fact that PC gamers have a far larger pool of games to play.

That far more options also implies that there are Exclusive games that just simple destroy the above mentioned mediocre titles in the gameplay department. Those 10-20 hours games that collect dust after a playthrough are nothing compared to games released 10 years ago that are still played by millions at any single time.

PC gaming - much larger library, much wider arrange of games that people will happily play for years.

Sony Console gaming - rely on a handful of 3rd parties to pump out Cod/Battlefield/Destiny and any branched out experiences. Build in house graphic "Blockbusters" once a year and then get people to buy the next one.

Xbox - I dunno....

Nintendo - Great variety in exclusive games both SP and MP (More local, but some successes only with MK and Splatoon).

That is the current market situation through my eyes, nobody on PC cares if you are waiting for the next pretty 10 hour game.... nobody.

Star Citizen.... even if it takes 10 years, is legions more ambitious than anything Sony will put out ever.... and has sold more than their biggest games. so yea theres that.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#9 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24922 Posts

Its not PC exclusives died. its third party exclusive died.

console doesnot have much of exclusive unless sony or nintendo make it.

Needhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Needhealing

@Johnny-n-Roger said:
@MBirdy88 said:

Are you high?

Exclusives didn't "die off" but they certainly aren't as prevalent as they were in the 2000s with releases like Deus Ex, Diablo 2, Thief 2, Battlefield 1942, Call of Duty, Doom 3, Half Life 2, and Crysis just to name a few. Of these franchises that didn't die, most have become consolized ports. The PC still has exclusives, but it doesn't have near the AAA representation it used to. At least since the late 2000's and the Call of Duty craze.

Thank you for defending me. That was my point. Poll is so biased.

bigfootpart2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By bigfootpart2

I asked one of my friends who has a PS4 what they thought of some of the PS4 exclusives like Horizon Zero Dawn, Bloodborne, the Last of US, etc. They told me they had never heard of any of those games. Took a look at their library of games. Literally every single one of the roughly 30 games they owned was some multiplatform thing that was also on PC.

Johnny-n-Roger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Johnny-n-Roger

@needhealing said:
@pyro1245 said:

Okay, so basically there are barely none? Got it. I mean the ps4 and switch have amazing exclusives, so i don't see your point. Unless the pc simply isn't a viable or worthy system. Okay, I understand your point.

It doesn't have the AAA representation it used to, but you're either ignorant or being intentionally dishonest.

There are entire genres that are all but exclusive to the PC and many games that might as well be, such as ever Bethesda Game Studios game ever made. What a clown show Fallout and Elder Scrolls are on consoles.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@Johnny-n-Roger said:
@MBirdy88 said:

Are you high?

Ofcourse not, this works in all directions... Sony is holding on by making and buying a handful of games a year... all very safe experiences.

Xbox has nothing now, they've given it all to PC.

Nintendo - Wii U and 3DS are largely now getting well emulated. Given the Switch's ongoing success, I wouldn't be suprised if greater effort is made to get emulation up and running faster....

It's kinda funny that the biggest names in gaming on consoles are PC MP games hand-me-downs. BF/CoD ... and they can't hold a candle to the top PC played exclusives anymore even with 3 platforms combined.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 5430 Posts

You need healing

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#15 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58964 Posts

Unless it's an MMO (which themselves are largely dead), or a strategy game, AAA gaming is largely dead on PC.

You get the odd Kickstarter game, but by and large it's the console domain now, built first and foremost for console, ported, sometimes at a later date.

-

FPS are objectively superior on PC, but that is now a console domain. Which is... well, embarrassing.

By and large console gamers buy games while a very limited sect of PC gamers support developers and companies. So it makes sense to go where the money is.

-

Overall PC is good for multiplayer games where piracy is pointless, survival games, battle royal games etc... Single player blockbusters are dead on the platform, no question. At this point it's handouts.

Needhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Needhealing

@techhog89 said:

You need healing

God bless you.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@bigfootpart2 said:

I asked one of my friends who has a PS4 what they thought of some of the PS4 exclusives like Horizon Zero Dawn, Bloodborne, the Last of US, etc. They told me they had never heard of any of those games. Took a look at their library of games. Literally every single one of the roughly 30 games they owned was some multiplatform thing that was also on PC.

Yup...

I've had discussions with relatively casual gamer colleagues in work that have no idea what Bloodborne is .... standard cod/destiny and fifa players. They know what HZD is because its that "Really pretty looking game with the hunter chick!" .... pretty much sums up Sony's crowd to me.

The PS4 is the snowballed Dude-Bro console with a handful of shiny first party titles, westernised to its core.

Hell it's not even gonna hold a candle to the Switch's Japanese support....

bigfootpart2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By bigfootpart2

@uninspiredcup said:

Unless it's an MMO (which themselves are largely dead), or a strategy game, AAA gaming is largely dead on PC.

You get the odd Kickstarter game, but by and large it's the console domain now, built first and foremost for console, ported, sometimes at a later date.

-

FPS are objectively superior on PC, but that is now a console domain. Which is... well, embarrassing.

By and large console gamers buy games while a very limited sect of PC gamers support developers and companies. So it makes sense to go where the money is.

-

Overall PC is good for multiplayer games where piracy is pointless, survival games, battle royal games etc... Single player blockbusters are dead on the platform, no question. At this point it's handouts.

This is about 10 years out of date. Steam pretty much killed PC game piracy. PC game sales now bring in as much money as all console game sales combined.

Developers are going where the money is, and that's multiplatform games where the PC is the lead platform. Exclusives are dying.

Johnny-n-Roger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Johnny-n-Roger

@MBirdy88 said:
@Johnny-n-Roger said:
@MBirdy88 said:

Are you high?

Ofcourse not, this works in all directions... Sony is holding on by making and buying a handful of games a year... all very safe experiences.

Xbox has nothing now, they've given it all to PC.

Nintendo - Wii U and 3DS are largely now getting well emulated. Given the Switch's ongoing success, I wouldn't be suprised if greater effort is made to get emulation up and running faster....

It's kinda funny that the biggest names in gaming on consoles are PC MP games hand-me-downs. BF/CoD ... and they can't hold a candle to the top PC played exclusives anymore even with 3 platforms combined.

I didn't even consider that, but you're right. Consoles have lost many exclusives as well. In the early to mid 2000s MGS, Final Fantasy, and GTA were exclusive franchises.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 uninspiredcup

@bigfootpart2 said:
@uninspiredcup said:

-

-

This is about 10 years out of date. Steam pretty much killed PC game piracy. PC game sales now bring in as much money as all console game sales combined.

Developers are going where the money is, and that's multiplatform games where the PC is the premiere platform. Exclusives are dying.

Completely false. Torrent sites are far larger than Steam. Not even Denuvo works.

--

In fact, at it's release, when it was uncrackable, pc gamers were that desperate and threatened by the concept of "buy game", they resorted to making up fake stories regarding the software protection. Even today, when it's cracked, they make joyous threads celebrating.

This is the mentality Publishers are dealing with. Good riddance.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#21 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24922 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:
@bigfootpart2 said:
@uninspiredcup said:

-

-

Developers are going where the money is, and that's multiplatform games where the PC is the premiere platform. Exclusives are dying.

Completely false. Torrent sites are far larger than Steam. Not even Denuvo works.

--

In fact, at it's release, when it was uncrackable, pc gamers were that desperate and threatened by the concept of "buy game", they resorted to making up fake stories regarding the software protection. Even today, when it's cracked, they make joyous threads celebrating.

the denuvo games get pirated because when game use denuvo. pirates got better version because they remove DRM.

see games without denuvo sold even more than games with denuvo.

bigfootpart2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By bigfootpart2

@uninspiredcup said:
@bigfootpart2 said:
@uninspiredcup said:

-

-

--

As someone who frequents these sites, I can tell you that almost no one is sharing PC games these days. It's nearly all movies and TV shows. 10 years ago, it was a different story. Thousands of people would be on a game torrent back then. Now you are lucky if 20 people are on a PC game torrent.

Steam's crazy good deals and convenient distribution model made piracy pointless for the vast majority of people. Again your info is roughly a decade out of date.

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/pc-games-sales-in-2017-are-almost-as-big-all-console-sales-combined/

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 uninspiredcup

The latest Final Fantasy is a good example. Lots of effort put into the port. Only 2 thousand Steam reviews.

They will probably go back to lazy ports, can't blame em really.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10439 Posts

@bigfootpart2 said:

so your friend has ~30 games and yet has never even heard of three of the biggest on the system?

ok, i'm not saying you're lying but... i can't think of a way to finish this sentence

bigfootpart2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By bigfootpart2

@Macutchi said:
@bigfootpart2 said:

so your friend has ~30 games and yet has never even heard of three of the biggest on the system?

ok, i'm not saying you're lying but... i can't think of a way to finish this sentence

It shocked me too. This person is not a hardcore gamer. Just a normal everyday person. That was the point when I realized nobody cared about exclusives anymore. Their library included stuff like Fallout 4 and GTA V, but they had never even heard of the biggest exclusives for the system they owned.

avenger85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 avenger85
Member since 2015 • 304 Posts

Exclusives are just dying out, consoles get a lot of the pc games, and console games are moving to pc all the time.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#27 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

Pc exclusives are not dead there are still plenty around.

But as anything when 2 platforms sell over 100mill units it´s a big market not to develop for. Not to mention pc sales are limited and PC is also more susceptible to piracy compared to consoles.

Johnny-n-Roger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Johnny-n-Roger

@uninspiredcup said:
@bigfootpart2 said:
@uninspiredcup said:

-

-

--

And Publishers have to deal with "used games" on consoles. The difference between someone buying a used game and someone pirating a game is that the person who pirated the game may never have had the intention or means to purchase the game.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

AAA PC exclusives are dying or almost dead true but where are a lot of PC exclusives from smaller indie devs.

They started dying in the early 2000s BTW.

Needhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Needhealing

@avenger85 said:

Exclusives are just dying out, consoles get a lot of the pc games, and console games are moving to pc all the time.

Tell that to Sony and Nintendo. They have more first party exclusives than ever before.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31  Edited By Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10439 Posts

@bigfootpart2 said:
@Macutchi said:
@bigfootpart2 said:

It shocked me too. This person is not a hardcore gamer. Just a normal everyday person. That was the point when I realized nobody cared about exclusives anymore.

it's a bit of a leap to come to the conclusion that because one solitary person hasn't heard of those games that now nobody cares about exclusives, wouldn't you say?

Needhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Needhealing

@Johnny-n-Roger said:
@needhealing said:
@pyro1245 said:

It doesn't have the AAA representation it used to, but you're either ignorant or being intentionally dishonest.

There are entire genres that are all but exclusive to the PC and many games that might as well be, such as ever Bethesda Game Studios game ever made. What a clown show Fallout and Elder Scrolls are on consoles.

First i agree with you, now you dare insult me? How dare you?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 uninspiredcup

Console -

Single player. AAA. Killer exclusives. Polished games. Presentation.

PC

- Survival Games, Battle Royal

Johnny-n-Roger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Johnny-n-Roger

@needhealing said:
@avenger85 said:

Tell that to Sony and Nintendo. They have more first party exclusives than ever before.

He can tell it to whoever has common sense and they'll agree.

If you think that HZD and movie games are driving Sony's platform the way GTA, MGS, and Final Fantasy were then you're clearly delusional.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

PC gaming died late 90's/early 2000's. Consoles pretty much took all your games after that. Deal with it.

Johnny-n-Roger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Johnny-n-Roger

@needhealing said:
@Johnny-n-Roger said:
@needhealing said:
@pyro1245 said:

Cry more. (joking)

bigfootpart2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By bigfootpart2

@stuff238 said:

PC gaming died late 90's/early 2000's. Consoles pretty much took all your games after that. Deal with it.

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/pc-games-sales-in-2017-are-almost-as-big-all-console-sales-combined/

Nope. PC is the lead platform, and it's not even close.

Just go to your local big box store and look at all the consoles collecting dust. Now try to find any half way decent video card in stock anywhere. You can't. And most of that isn't even mining. It's that PC is far more popular than any one console.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

Last time i checked, "gaming companies" are there to make a profit.

best way is closed systems where they control everything.

console derps obviously provided the most $.

bigfootpart2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 bigfootpart2

@dxmcat said:

Last time i checked, "gaming companies" are there to make a profit.

best way is closed systems where they control everything.

console derps obviously provided the most $.

Nope. Multiplatform is the best way. Biggest audience. This is why exclusives have declined in quality and are dying.

Johnny-n-Roger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Johnny-n-Roger
@stuff238 said:

Nice joke. You must be ignorant to this trend where franchises that have been exclusives to consoles for decades are getting multi platform releases on the PC with superior graphics and modding support. You can have your shitty versions of Fallout and Elder Scrolls that PC gamers laugh at.

Vaeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Vaeh
Member since 2016 • 957 Posts

Indie gaming killed AAA.

Asshole publishers killed AAA.

Mainstream media is ignorant to PC gaming.

@uninspiredcup said:

The latest Final Fantasy is a good example. Lots of effort put into the port. Only 2 thousand Steam reviews.

Coz game is shit.

Needhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Needhealing

@Johnny-n-Roger said:
@needhealing said:
@Johnny-n-Roger said:
@needhealing said:
@pyro1245 said:

Cry more. (joking)

It's like you have bipolar syndrome.

Johnny-n-Roger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Johnny-n-Roger

@vaeh said:

This.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By uninspiredcup

@vaeh said:

Indie gaming killed AAA.

@uninspiredcup said:

Coz game is shit.

This is a line pc gamers constantly used. Insert

1. Bad port

2. Game is bad

3. Runs poorly on system

4. Random DRM (i'm just like Robin Hood!, except for me!)

etc...

Every answer except 5. It's easy to get free with no repercussions.

---

Except their are. Your platform no longer has any AAA single player games. It's all handouts, like a beggar with a McDonalds cup on a winter morning, while console gamers pass by oblivious.

That use to be you.

Johnny-n-Roger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Johnny-n-Roger

@needhealing said:
@Johnny-n-Roger said:
@needhealing said:
@Johnny-n-Roger said:
@needhealing said:

Cry more. (joking)

Then you don't know what "bipolar" actually looks like. Sorry, we disagree. Better luck next time.

Johnny-n-Roger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Johnny-n-Roger

@uninspiredcup said:
@vaeh said:

Indie gaming killed AAA.

@uninspiredcup said:

Coz game is shit.

1. Bad port

2. Game is bad

3. Runs poorly on system

etc...

---

Except their are. Your platform no longer has any AAA single player games. It's all handouts, like a beggar with a McDonalds cup on a winter morning, while console gamers pass by oblivious.

That use to be you.

The problem with your argument is that you have to provide that FFXV isn't a shitty port when it actually is. It's very poorly optimized with stutters and hitching even at an acceptable frame rate. This was even released with a bench marking tool released prior to the game.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 uninspiredcup

Final Fantasy runs, looks and plays better than most PC games with far more content.

e.g. PUBG

Except it's primarily single player. A pattern.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@uninspiredcup said:
@vaeh said:

Indie gaming killed AAA.

@uninspiredcup said:

Coz game is shit.

1. Bad port

2. Game is bad

3. Runs poorly on system

etc...

---

That use to be you.

You are just a fakeboy that says whatever he knows will rattle people.

Besides, FF15 is on the best sellers, so your wrong either way.

Needhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Needhealing

@Johnny-n-Roger said:
@needhealing said:
@Johnny-n-Roger said:
@needhealing said:
@Johnny-n-Roger said:

Cry more. (joking)

Then you don't know what "bipolar" actually looks like. Sorry, we disagree. Better luck next time.

I don't feel sorry.

Johnny-n-Roger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Johnny-n-Roger

@uninspiredcup said:

Final Fantasy runs, looks and plays better than most PC games with far more content.

e.g. PUBG

Except it's primarily single player. A pattern.

But PUBG isn't a console port. A lot of console ports don't do as well on PC. It doesn't help that it's a single player game, but KCD didn't have a problem.