Whats the Deal with the 360 hardrive.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SageAnomie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 SageAnomie
Member since 2003 • 436 Posts
What the heck. Why does the 360 have a special hardrive you have to buy. The whole Idea is stupid, why cant they allow you the option of buying your own seperate one like the PS3 does. That specific hardrive ordeal will make it a pain in the future to transfer save files, and for goodness sakes why is the 360 hardrive so expensive. Who else thinks this is stupid? I feel like taking back my 360 already.
deadmeat59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#2 deadmeat59
Member since 2003 • 8981 Posts
there is alot of problems with the 360. i have ps3 and 360 and i am getting wii whenever its findable. but 360 has a lot of problems with games and the system it self . i know i am going to be attacked by 360 fans so i am not even going to bother listing them. cus they will just try and turn it around on me. thats why they are remaking the 360 just like the ds cus the first system has a lot of flaws in it.
SageAnomie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SageAnomie

there is alot of problems with the 360. i have ps3 and 360 and i am getting wii whenever its findable. but 360 has a lot of problems with games and the system it self . i know i am going to be attacked by 360 fans so i am not even going to bother listing them. cus they will just try and turn it around on me. thats why they are remaking the 360 just like the ds cus the first system has a lot of flaws in it.deadmeat59

Thanks for being honest. The only thing is I like the 360 community online. But I know I should give time for sony to establish theres. Plus its free...and thats always a good thing.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts

You can hook a USB HDD to the 360 if you know what you are doing, and you can always steam things from your PC.

As for why its that way, its to control the systems environment, since it becomes too easy to do illegal things (ROMs, bootlegs, etc) when there is less control over what goes into a system.

Just look at the PSP. With its non-proprietary memory stick, it is easy to make exploits and hacks for the system.

04JETTA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 04JETTA
Member since 2005 • 5769 Posts
yea its jus cause money ther mayb more later i kinda doubt it tho
SageAnomie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SageAnomie

You can hook a USB HDD to the 360 if you know what you are doing, and you can always steam things from your PC.

As for why its that way, its to control the systems environment, since it becomes too easy to do illegal things (ROMs, bootlegs, etc) when there is less control over what goes into a system.

Just look at the PSP. With its non-proprietary memory stick, it is easy to make exploits and hacks for the system.

SpruceCaboose

But thats why I like the PS3. I can hook my 1 terabyte Ebook to it and actually use it.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SpruceCaboose
[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"]

SageAnomie

But thats why I like the PS3. I can hook my 1 terabyte Ebook to it and actually use it.

And potentially create hacks, exploits, and other things that the software companies don't want you to do. Given time, I expect there to be issues that will come up,similar to the need for more secure firmware, a la the PSP.

SageAnomie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SageAnomie
[QUOTE="SageAnomie"][QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"]

SpruceCaboose

And potentially create hacks, exploits, and other things that the software companies don't want you to do. Given time, I expect there to be issues that will come up,similar to the need for more secure firmware, a la the PSP.

Im certain that Sony already knows that. Still I just don't feel like I have any freedom on the 360. I wanna find a way to instal mugen on one of the consoles but, it dont seem likely that the 360 will let me. Still your right about the firmware stuff bout the PS3, but I just want to utalize a console to the fullest.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SpruceCaboose

Im certain that Sony already knows that. Still I just don't feel like I have any freedom on the 360. I wanna find a way to instal mugen on one of the consoles but, it dont seem likely that the 360 will let me. Still your right about the firmware stuff bout the PS3, but I just want to utalize a console to the fullest.

SageAnomie

I agree, but unfortunately, the console world learned from the DreamCast that if you don't impose strict protections, people will find ways to exploit a system, and that almost always leads to worse software sales (from bootlegs, etc) which hurt profits alot, since that is where most of the money comes from.

I would love the 360 to be more open and easily used as an "extension" PC, or at least better 360-PC connectivity, but I can understand why they didn't allow it to happen. Hopefully, if the PS3 shows that it can be open and safe, MS will take that and run with it in the future. 

ishxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 ishxan
Member since 2006 • 369 Posts

there is alot of problems with the 360. i have ps3 and 360 and i am getting wii whenever its findable. but 360 has a lot of problems with games and the system it self . i know i am going to be attacked by 360 fans so i am not even going to bother listing them. cus they will just try and turn it around on me. thats why they are remaking the 360 just like the ds cus the first system has a lot of flaws in it.deadmeat59
I only have an X360 system and I do agree that it has a lot of flaws. I think the games slated for the X360 are the best (quality and visually) from the three different systems, however the X360 hardware itself is poor engineering.

1. DVD-Drive - notorious for its stupidly loud and cheap design. I'm sending back my 2nd X360 now because my current one is way to loud, plus if it is even slightly moved it sometimes scratches my disks; Gears of War DVD is totally unreadable now when my younger brother ejected the tray, takes sometime for the drive to slow down before you can eject it safely.

2. HDD - A lot of people say the added $200 for the BD player in the PS3 is useless and forced upon as a proprietary format, a lot of people overlook the fact that MS has done exactly that with their HDD. $99 for a 20GB HDD, A HUGE RIPOFF! I am one of those people who will never need more than the 20GB that there is on the X360, however there are many people that do want more than that, and I think it's really unfair that MS charges so much for the HDD. If one thing Sony did right with the PS3 it is the HDD.

3. Cooling - P.O.S. No more needs to be said. I have a buddy of mine which completely took his X360 apart and made a new case for it. More room, fans, better cooling on the CPU and GPU. Guess what; there is a performance difference, his games seem to run smoother, especially in Oblivion it is noticeable. By giving the X360 a better quality cooling solution extends the console's life considerably.

Overall I think the X360 has the better games and hardware specs; however it is cursed by cheap cooling solution which gives rise to a lot of the failure problems, though the newer DVD-Drives are considerably better a lot of repair and replacement orders could have been avoided if MS just put in a higher quality drive.

deadmeat59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#11 deadmeat59
Member since 2003 • 8981 Posts

[QUOTE="deadmeat59"]there is alot of problems with the 360. i have ps3 and 360 and i am getting wii whenever its findable. but 360 has a lot of problems with games and the system it self . i know i am going to be attacked by 360 fans so i am not even going to bother listing them. cus they will just try and turn it around on me. thats why they are remaking the 360 just like the ds cus the first system has a lot of flaws in it.ishxan

I only have an X360 system and I do agree that it has a lot of flaws. I think the games slated for the X360 are the best (quality and visually) from the three different systems, however the X360 hardware itself is poor engineering.

1. DVD-Drive - notorious for its stupidly loud and cheap design. I'm sending back my 2nd X360 now because my current one is way to loud, plus if it is even slightly moved it sometimes scratches my disks; Gears of War DVD is totally unreadable now when my younger brother ejected the tray, takes sometime for the drive to slow down before you can eject it safely.

2. HDD - A lot of people say the added $200 for the BD player in the PS3 is useless and forced upon as a proprietary format, a lot of people overlook the fact that MS has done exactly that with their HDD. $99 for a 20GB HDD, A HUGE RIPOFF! I am one of those people who will never need more than the 20GB that there is on the X360, however there are many people that do want more than that, and I think it's really unfair that MS charges so much for the HDD. If one thing Sony did right with the PS3 it is the HDD.

3. Cooling - P.O.S. No more needs to be said. I have a buddy of mine which completely took his X360 apart and made a new case for it. More room, fans, better cooling on the CPU and GPU. Guess what; there is a performance difference, his games seem to run smoother, especially in Oblivion it is noticeable. By giving the X360 a better quality cooling solution extends the console's life considerably.

Overall I think the X360 has the better games and hardware specs; however it is cursed by cheap cooling solution which gives rise to a lot of the failure problems, though the newer DVD-Drives are considerably better a lot of repair and replacement orders could have been avoided if MS just put in a higher quality drive.

nice post thanks for being open. alot of 360 fans would never say that. i mostly agree with you. 360 feels to me like its in between gens. there are alot of things microsoft did not change like wii or ps3 did. i think ps3 and 360 are pretty much the same in power . ps3 cpu is a good amount better but 360 uses memory better. so i dont think we will see a huge leep for the ps3 to the 360.
SageAnomie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SageAnomie
[QUOTE="SageAnomie"]

Im certain that Sony already knows that. Still I just don't feel like I have any freedom on the 360. I wanna find a way to instal mugen on one of the consoles but, it dont seem likely that the 360 will let me. Still your right about the firmware stuff bout the PS3, but I just want to utalize a console to the fullest.

SpruceCaboose

I agree, but unfortunately, the console world learned from the DreamCast that if you don't impose strict protections, people will find ways to exploit a system, and that almost always leads to worse software sales (from bootlegs, etc) which hurt profits alot, since that is where most of the money comes from.

I would love the 360 to be more open and easily used as an "extension" PC, or at least better 360-PC connectivity, but I can understand why they didn't allow it to happen. Hopefully, if the PS3 shows that it can be open and safe, MS will take that and run with it in the future. 

The PS2 was easy to screw with, but look what happened in the end. Its the best selling console over the past gen. As for dreamcast. That just has to do with the western style of gameing. Dreamcast is actually still alive and well in japan. there final game is due this july. Anyway With the whole HD loader Ordeal with the PS2, Id say that being able to screw with your console does not nessacarily mean you will lose out all the time.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#13 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts
Probably for standardization and money reasons.
UnnDunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 UnnDunn
Member since 2002 • 3979 Posts
What the heck. Why does the 360 have a special hardrive you have to buy. The whole Idea is stupid, why cant they allow you the option of buying your own seperate one like the PS3 does. That specific hardrive ordeal will make it a pain in the future to transfer save files, and for goodness sakes why is the 360 hardrive so expensive. Who else thinks this is stupid? I feel like taking back my 360 already. SageAnomie
It's a dirty little secret that one of the major sources of revenue for console manufacturers is proprietary hardware. I mean, the PS2 8MB memory cards cost $20. One of the few good things about PS3 is its move away from proprietary memory and input connectors and towards standard flash memory, SATA and Bluetooth. Hopefully MS will make a similar move in future.
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#15 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts
[QUOTE="SageAnomie"]What the heck. Why does the 360 have a special hardrive you have to buy. The whole Idea is stupid, why cant they allow you the option of buying your own seperate one like the PS3 does. That specific hardrive ordeal will make it a pain in the future to transfer save files, and for goodness sakes why is the 360 hardrive so expensive. Who else thinks this is stupid? I feel like taking back my 360 already. UnnDunn
It's a dirty little secret that one of the major sources of revenue for console manufacturers is proprietary hardware. I mean, the PS2 8MB memory cards cost $20. One of the few good things about PS3 is its move away from proprietary memory and input connectors and towards standard flash memory, SATA and Bluetooth. Hopefully MS will make a similar move in future.

The most amazing thing about the move away from the proprietary on the PS3 is that SONY makes it! Sony is known for it's proprietary formats and hardware (like their Viao computers and Beta). This is a step in the right direction for one of the most notoriously proprietary companies out there.
SageAnomie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SageAnomie

[QUOTE="UnnDunn"][QUOTE="SageAnomie"]What the heck. Why does the 360 have a special hardrive you have to buy. The whole Idea is stupid, why cant they allow you the option of buying your own seperate one like the PS3 does. That specific hardrive ordeal will make it a pain in the future to transfer save files, and for goodness sakes why is the 360 hardrive so expensive. Who else thinks this is stupid? I feel like taking back my 360 already. musicalmac

The most amazing thing about the move away from the proprietary on the PS3 is that SONY makes it! Sony is known for it's proprietary formats and hardware (like their Viao computers and Beta). This is a step in the right direction for one of the most notoriously proprietary companies out there.

I can use any hardrive or SD/Mini SD, memory sticks on my PS3. Its not just sony's

ishxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ishxan
Member since 2006 • 369 Posts
[QUOTE="ishxan"]

[QUOTE="deadmeat59"]there is alot of problems with the 360. i have ps3 and 360 and i am getting wii whenever its findable. but 360 has a lot of problems with games and the system it self . i know i am going to be attacked by 360 fans so i am not even going to bother listing them. cus they will just try and turn it around on me. thats why they are remaking the 360 just like the ds cus the first system has a lot of flaws in it.deadmeat59

nice post thanks for being open. alot of 360 fans would never say that. i mostly agree with you. 360 feels to me like its in between gens. there are alot of things microsoft did not change like wii or ps3 did. i think ps3 and 360 are pretty much the same in power . ps3 cpu is a good amount better but 360 uses memory better. so i dont think we will see a huge leep for the ps3 to the 360.

Well, I would be a stupid fan if I didn't want my product to be better, especially when those things that needed improvements could have been easily applied by now. When I get the new X360 replacement I'm gonna mod a new case for it with better cooling and etc...
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 HuusAsking
Member since 2006 • 15270 Posts

[QUOTE="musicalmac"][QUOTE="UnnDunn"][QUOTE="SageAnomie"]What the heck. Why does the 360 have a special hardrive you have to buy. The whole Idea is stupid, why cant they allow you the option of buying your own seperate one like the PS3 does. That specific hardrive ordeal will make it a pain in the future to transfer save files, and for goodness sakes why is the 360 hardrive so expensive. Who else thinks this is stupid? I feel like taking back my 360 already. SageAnomie

I can use any hardrive or SD/Mini SD, memory sticks on my PS3. Its not just sony's

So you can save games to SDs and memory sticks?
Avatar image for organic_machine
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 organic_machine
Member since 2004 • 10141 Posts

I'm not saying which system is better, but both Sony and Microsoft really screwed up when designing their consoles. This was expected in Microsoft's case, because every piece of hardware the have ever released has been poorly and cheaply designed. But Sony?! I am sorry, but I beleive that the PS3 is garbage. And with Capcom making their games multiplatform, I feel bad for the Sony loyalees. They have less of a reason to buy one.

The Wii on the other hand, I dont have one yet, but when they release Perfect Dark on the virtual console, oh God! I am so there. The thought of finally playing that game with two joysticks thrills me. Unfortunately, the games on the actuall Wii do not appeal to me as of yet. So I don know right now if a purchase is worth it.

SageAnomie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SageAnomie
[QUOTE="SageAnomie"]

[QUOTE="musicalmac"][QUOTE="UnnDunn"][QUOTE="SageAnomie"]What the heck. Why does the 360 have a special hardrive you have to buy. The whole Idea is stupid, why cant they allow you the option of buying your own seperate one like the PS3 does. That specific hardrive ordeal will make it a pain in the future to transfer save files, and for goodness sakes why is the 360 hardrive so expensive. Who else thinks this is stupid? I feel like taking back my 360 already. HuusAsking

So you can save games to SDs and memory sticks?

Mostly i just transfer them.

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 HuusAsking

I'm not saying which system is better, but both Sony and Microsoft really screwed up when designing their consoles. This was expected in Microsoft's case, because every piece of hardware the have ever released has been poorly and cheaply designed. But Sony?! I am sorry, but I beleive that the PS3 is garbage. And with Capcom making their games multiplatform, I feel bad for the Sony loyalees. They have less of a reason to buy one.

The Wii on the other hand, I dont have one yet, but when they release Perfect Dark on the virtual console, oh God! I am so there. The thought of finally playing that game with two joysticks thrills me. Unfortunately, the games on the actuall Wii do not appeal to me as of yet. So I don know right now if a purchase is worth it.

organic_machine
You won't be able to play Perfect Dark with twin analogs. VC games stick faithfully to the console on which they were originally released. In PD's case, that's the Nintendo 64 and its single analog stick.
asmallchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 asmallchild
Member since 2007 • 2015 Posts

[QUOTE="deadmeat59"]there is alot of problems with the 360. i have ps3 and 360 and i am getting wii whenever its findable. but 360 has a lot of problems with games and the system it self . i know i am going to be attacked by 360 fans so i am not even going to bother listing them. cus they will just try and turn it around on me. thats why they are remaking the 360 just like the ds cus the first system has a lot of flaws in it.ishxan

A very fair and accurate post.
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 organic_machine
[QUOTE="organic_machine"]

HuusAsking

You won't be able to play Perfect Dark with twin analogs. VC games stick faithfully to the console on which they were originally released. In PD's case, that's the Nintendo 64 and its single analog stick.

Then there will be four buttons missing that are VITAL to the game. Those buttons MUST convert to the second joystick because on the VC controller, there arent the C buttons...

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#24 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts
[QUOTE="organic_machine"]

HuusAsking

isn't perfect dark a rare game? microsoft would definitely never approve of their property on a nintendo console

edit: "rare game" as in Rare.

organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 organic_machine
[QUOTE="HuusAsking"][QUOTE="organic_machine"]

GunSmith1_basic

isn't perfect dark a rare game? microsoft would definitely never approve of their property on a nintendo console

The original perfect dakr still belongs to nintendo... if not, then it better be released through live...

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 HuusAsking

GunSmith1_basic

edit: "rare game" as in Rare.

We're entering a legal gray area, but as best as I can determine, though Rare (and thus Microsoft) owns the general  rights to the Perfect Dark property (thus they made Perfect Dark Zero), Nintendo still owns the specifric rights to the Nintendo 64 versions of the original Perfect Dark. This is because Perfect Dark was made as a second-party game--Rare developed it, but Nintendo published it. Kinda like how Gears of War is being done now (Epic makes it, Microsoft publishes it).
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 HuusAsking

organic_machine

Then there will be four buttons missing that are VITAL to the game. Those buttons MUST convert to the second joystick because on the VC controller, there arent the C buttons...

Very well. N64 C-cuttons will likely be translated onto the second analog, but the second analog will function like a digital joystick in cases of N64 games--not an analog one.