What was the most overrated game of the year?

• 81 results
uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59087 Posts

Hello. From all the shit you have played this year, what was the most overrated?

Dribble
Dribble

Would have to go with this title, played 3 hours, roughly, 3 hours too many. People are using "high art" as an excuse for bad design, it's basically a pretentious, Iron Giant without the excellent writing, visuals, acting or story or Vin Diesel. In general using cute dog is one of the cheapest and laziest routes you could go for a emotional attachment.

In the Iron Giant, it is metal, intimidating and a weapon, it not really cute and it doesn't sound cute. It works towards humanizing him rather than going for the lazy cheap route. His heroic ending is earned. and he in his simplstic mind aspires towards something better, as demonstrated by his last line in the movie.

Ultimately the little boys concept of good influence the creature into overcoming the adult cynicism trying to destroy him, and in the process, setting an example - sacrificing himself to save them all.

What an actual masterpiece looks like
What an actual masterpiece looks like

Primorandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 Primorandomguy
Member since 2014 • 3368 Posts

From what I played, DOOM. A good game yes, FPS of the year? Ever? Hell no. And some Herald DOOM in that regard.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34670 Posts

Haven't played it myself, but it most probably is Uncharted 4. Looks really lame.

Btw, the reason I don't mention anything I've played is that I don't feel like anything I've played is overrated. Maybe Overwatch a little bit, it feels like they get a bit too much credit for ideas taken from Team Fortress 2. OW is like a Blizzardified TF2 to me.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Probably Overwatch for me.

Not any fault of its own. I simply don't care for competitive only FPS games. The genre is done to death. Hell, it was done to death when I got sick of it back in 2009.

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts

I know this is lame because I haven't played it, but Uncharted 4 has to be.. I really enjoyed Uncharted 1 but it got SO STALE in 2 and 3.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#6 aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

Doom, its good, not goty

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#7 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts

In Relation to the praise they got: Uncharted 4 and Inside.

The former is good, eh both are good. But the former actually made dramatic improvements to its shooting. But, one the pacing is a bit too plodding for my liking with the games lesser systems taking up so much of the run time. I also while the story is fine, confident, well acted, and the character stuff is exceptional. Some of the behavior of characters is laughable, Nadine's ending is shitty, when Sam's stuff is explained Nate and Elena are way too cool about it, and because they told exact same story about obsession in 3 (albeit way shittier), it takes some of the punch away from the 4th game. Also the epilogue is super self-indulgent. Otherwise it's fine, good even for the video game equivalent of National Treasure/Treasure Planet.

Inside, I like cinematic platformers enough, but just like Limbo I didn't care as much as the critical acclaim for the game. In this case it was the ending, even shooting the shit about it with Gaf didn't really get me to feel all positive about the ending. I think in a pure aesthetic/thematic consistency with its game, Limbo was actually better. Inside has some neat gameplay sequences that are more about how they feel, and not necessarily about any depth or anything, and the art direction is fantastic. The game obviously is oozing atmosphere, but you know I'd say it's good. But just good, not like great. That game was a clean honeymoon game to me. I was pretty high on the game while playing it, and then the ending happened lol.

Otherwise I thought games like Stories, The Division, and Quantum Break in relation to their metascore are actually worse games, if not out right poor games. But, the general community is relatively divisive on those games anyway, so calling them overrated would be a stretch.

Avatar image for deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
deactivated-58abb194ab6fb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
Member since 2010 • 3984 Posts

Overwatch, hands down.

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts

UC4

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44147 Posts

That's tough to choose between UC4 and TLG so I call it a tie. :P

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46444 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

In Relation to the praise they got: Uncharted 4 and Inside.

The former is good, eh both are good. But the former actually made dramatic improvements to its shooting. But, one the pacing is a bit too plodding for my liking with the games lesser systems taking up so much of the run time. I also while the story is fine, confident, well acted, and the character stuff is exceptional. Some of the behavior of characters is laughable, Nadine's ending is shitty, when Sam's stuff is explained Nate and Elena are way too cool about it, and because they told exact same story about obsession in 3 (albeit way shittier), it takes some of the punch away from the 4th game. Also the epilogue is super self-indulgent. Otherwise it's fine, good even for the video game equivalent of National Treasure/Treasure Planet.

Inside, I like cinematic platformers enough, but just like Limbo I didn't care as much as the critical acclaim for the game. In this case it was the ending, even shooting the shit about it with Gaf didn't really get me to feel all positive about the ending. I think in a pure aesthetic/thematic consistency with its game, Limbo was actually better. Inside has some neat gameplay sequences that are more about how they feel, and not necessarily about any depth or anything, and the art direction is fantastic. The game obviously is oozing atmosphere, but you know I'd say it's good. But just good, not like great. That game was a clean honeymoon game to me. I was pretty high on the game while playing it, and then the ending happened lol.

Otherwise I thought games like Stories, The Division, and Quantum Break in relation to their metascore are actually worse games, if not out right poor games. But, the general community is relatively divisive on those games anyway, so calling them overrated would be a stretch.

At one point you are playing Inside, and you can't stop playing it anymore. So you make your way all the way to that ending section.

Which in all honesty is one of the best ending sections in any game of this year. But the ending itself... it's weird. Especially compared to how 'clear' Limbo's ending was.

I had the same feeling with Unravel, which is another 2D platformer that released this year. Enjoyable up until the end, but at the very end you wonder: Wait... what was this all for exactly?

I read some tidbits on how others see the ending, and the boy trying to help 'the blob', what that was all about.

Personally I found it odd that those mask wearing fellas were always aggressive to you but workers at the 'plant' started helping you near the end...

Apart from that very end... Inside is a marvelous little game. I definitely would not call it overrated ;)

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts
@R4gn4r0k said:

At one point you are playing Inside, and you can't stop playing it anymore. So you make your way all the way to that ending section.

Which in all honesty is one of the best ending sections in any game of this year. But the ending itself... it's weird. Especially compared to how 'clear' Limbo's ending was.

I had the same feeling with Unravel, which is another 2D platformer that released this year. Enjoyable up until the end, but at the very end you wonder: Wait... what was this all for exactly?

I read some tidbits on how others see the ending, and the boy trying to help 'the blob', what that was all about.

Personally I found it odd that those mask wearing fellas were always aggressive to you but workers at the 'plant' started helping you near the end...

Apart from that very end... Inside is a marvelous little game. I definitely would not call it overrated ;)

Well to me the hook of the game was "what's going on", the gameplay is fine, but it's overly simple. A lot of it is carefully choreographed and scripted platforming, some of the extras you can find are neato, but the environmental story telling the game was doing was what had me hooked. I'm a sucker for games that tell a story, through the game part, and not a cutscene. It's just the story it tells, and if the ending is about control, comes off as tripe to me. Because it actively goes against some of the stuff that came earlier in the game.

I get why people found Braid pretentious, because Jonathan Blow's writing isn't very good, but there was a clear theme to it all. Obsession, and he nails that shit with the ending by subverting your expectation. Also helps that Braid could have a shitty thematic point, and it still would have been an amazing puzzle game. Inside, once that narrative hook broke, it's not like I was super fond of climbing a fence back n forth to move this board off this vent because of a pair of dogs. So again, overrated more in terms of the praise it got critically. It's good, so a lot of this is semantics. But the best indie game this year? In a year that had Furi and The Witness, and Stephen's Sausage Roll? And Superhot? And Headlander? So yeah, relative terms.

BIack_Goku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 BIack_Goku
Member since 2016 • 724 Posts

Uncharted 4 easily. It's currently tied for being the highest rated game this generation. The Uncharted franchise is the most overrated in all of gaming.

speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#14 speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

UC4 or TLG, couldn't complete TLG.

But yeah, people hyped the game too damn much, it would be a shame if it flopped after all these years. People are blind. Game is a 6/10 for what I played. Didn't read spoilers so that maybe I can finish it one day. Altough I think it's one of those "emotional" endings that "would make you cry" and give the game an instantly 10/10 'cus feeeeelings'

nygamespotter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 nygamespotter
Member since 2016 • 523 Posts

Definitely Overwatch.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46444 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

Well to me the hook of the game was "what's going on", the gameplay is fine, but it's overly simple. A lot of it is carefully choreographed and scripted platforming, some of the extras you can find are neato, but the environmental story telling the game was doing was what had me hooked. I'm a sucker for games that tell a story, through the game part, and not a cutscene. It's just the story it tells, and if the ending is about control, comes off as tripe to me. Because it actively goes against some of the stuff that came earlier in the game.

I get why people found Braid pretentious, because Jonathan Blow's writing isn't very good, but there was a clear theme to it all. Obsession, and he nails that shit with the ending by subverting your expectation. Also helps that Braid could have a shitty thematic point, and it still would have been an amazing puzzle game. Inside, once that narrative hook broke, it's not like I was super fond of climbing a fence back n forth to move this board off this vent because of a pair of dogs. So again, overrated more in terms of the praise it got critically. It's good, so a lot of this is semantics. But the best indie game this year? In a year that had Furi and The Witness, and Stephen's Sausage Roll? And Superhot? And Headlander? So yeah, relative terms.

Okay, I just consider INSIDE a great indie game, if you're going by people calling it the indie GOTY, then yeah you might find it overrated.

If your problem lies with the gameplay and not just the 'open' ending, yeah sure I can follow you on that.
Still, it was a lot of fun for me going from point A to point B. And some of the really tricky parts, even at the start had me hooked. INSIDE has one of the best savegame systems ever.

It can seem a bit on rails at times, where as only precise timing can get you away from a dog/hazard/fall... But that is also where the beauty of many 2D platformers lay :)

The mind control mechanic also leads to some great headscratcher moments in the game, especially if you want to collect all those weird devices to get the alternative ending.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#17 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14419 Posts

Whatever Uninspiredcup's goty is.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

sHaDyCuBe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 sHaDyCuBe321
Member since 2003 • 5769 Posts

Haven't played Uncharted so I can't say.

But from what I've played of it, which is about 2 hrs, FFXV is boring as shit.

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#20 svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

In no particular order: Overwatch, TLG, and UC4.

Overwatch- bored after the first weekend because of the repetitive nature and BS random loot system

TLG- all the art and feelings in a game dont mean shit if the game is a mechanical mess.

UC4- its good at cutscenes and graphics and thats all. Has little gameplay

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#21  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

I just entered this thread but I could bet the games most mentioned will be the following:

Uncharted 4

The Last Guardian

Overwatch

DOOM

Titanfall 2

why? Because they got the most praise, thats why and in the case of U4 and TLG they're exclusives wich makes the matter worse (I bet most voting for them havent even played them). Popular is always bashed. People are predictable.

Dakur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Dakur
Member since 2014 • 3275 Posts

@Vatusus said:

I just entered this thread but I could bet the games most mentioned will be the following:

Uncharted 4

The Last Guardian

Overwatch

DOOM

Titanfall 2

why? Because they got the most praise, thats why and in the case of U4 and TLG they're exclusives wich makes the matter worse (I bet most voting for them havent even played them). Popular is always bashed. People are predictable.

Funny that from those 5 whining about UC4 being overrated 3 people didn't even played it LOLOL

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29826 Posts

@speedfreak48t5p said:

Whatever Uninspiredcup's goty is.

This

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#24 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

critically: UC4

in terms of praise in the community: DOOM

I like both of these games but they are not among the years best imo

thepclovingguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 thepclovingguy
Member since 2016 • 2059 Posts

Uncharted 4 and Overwatch.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

You have shit taste, its normal TLG isn't for you. CoD:IW is the most overrated title of 2016. THIS kind of garbage shouldn't have gotten anything over a 6/10 but because its poopular and GS does dirty stuff with anything Activision, its supposed to be on par with quality 8/10 titles? Get outta here!

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 23718 Posts

Of the 2016 games that I played, which admittedly are only a few, I'm going to say Doom 4.

It's a damn good game. I got burned out on FPS games years ago and even when I did enjoy them, it was usually the MP portions. FPS campaigns typically blow. But Doom 4 had me hooked, I ended up clocking about 50 hours on it before I had my fill. Good shit.

But the community reactions were a bit lulzy tbh. In typical gamer fashion, nothing can just be what it is. It's either the worst thing ever or the best thing ever. Doom 4 got the latter treatment as if it's some savior of gaming. Nope! Just a good game dudes.

I'm sure Uncharted 4 is the real winner here though. Just haven't pushed myself to play it yet.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#28 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

Overwatch

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21702 Posts

Uncharted 4. It's not like I had high expectations, but it came with my PS4, so I gave it a shot even though I don't like the previous entries.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Toss up between Overwatch and Uncharted 4

Avatar image for bigboy_bmw760li
BigBoy_Bmw760Li

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BigBoy_Bmw760Li
Member since 2015 • 176 Posts

@KBFloYd said:

sHaDyCuBe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 sHaDyCuBe321
Member since 2003 • 5769 Posts

@Vatusus said:

Uncharted 4

The Last Guardian

Overwatch

DOOM

Titanfall 2

In order to be overrated you have to receive praise though. So of course some of the most highly praised games would also be some of the games people find overrated. Especially when they are flaunted so vigorously. I don't rate games I havent played. I own Uncharted 4, but have yet to play it.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#33 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

I'm going to go with Overwatch.

I really don't hate the game, I think it's one of the Best Shooters of the Year for sure, but there's some wrong in it as well.

The Lootboxes are a Trap to squeeze out more money out of the consumer (and it's working, I've bought maybe 100+ boxes this year already). It's the equivalent to those Mobile games that ask you to buy digital currency to progress your game further. Except instead of making it a thing to progress your game, it's an In game costume, a cosmetic. It's not needed, but to Gamers it's a "Badge of Honor" type thing. "ONLY PEOPLE WHO BOUGHT A BOX AT THIS TIME HAVE THIS COOL THING!" and I'm not sure I like that, considering to get that item you have to earn enough Levels for a Lootbox or actually buy lootboxes for a CHANCE (not a guarantee) of getting that item. You also can't buy the outfits unless you got the In game currency which is earned by getting Duplicate items from lootboxes!

And lootboxes aside, Did you know that When Overwatch launched, it practically had the Same Amount of Content as a major flop this year?

Yes that's right, Overwatch had the same amount of Content as STREET FIGHTER V.

While Street Fighter V can be played Offline, it was pretty obvious from the get go that Street Fighter V focused on the Online Multiplayer portion and not the Single player, with it having No Arcade Mode and Lackluster "Story" mode with a "Cinematic Story" coming later. Also it had promise of new Characters to be added through out the year.

Overwatch launched with No Single Player Component, No Story, and Promise of New Characters to be added Later in the Year.

and both game's Online mode wasn't really fully there when they launched. If I recall it didn't get Competitive mode till close to June, much like how Street Fighter V didn't have player Lobbies till....well JUNE (July really but eh.)

And man, everyone loves to complain about Street Fighter V's Story mode being nothing, but Still Images....BUT WAIT OVERWATCH DOES THE SAME DAMN THING! and it's NOT EVEN IN THE GAME! IT'S ON THE WEBSITE! (Destiny did this snatch and got flack for it!)

So in conclusion, Overwatch, Fun Game to play and have a good time with Friends and Family and whatever........but it's OVERRATED AS CRAP.

Avatar image for deactivated-587acdd100f19
deactivated-587acdd100f19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By deactivated-587acdd100f19
Member since 2008 • 908 Posts

Uncharted 4

Madc0w1011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#35 Madc0w1011
Member since 2016 • 39 Posts

The Witcher 3... I know it wasn't exactly from this year but man that game was horrible. At least playing the cards was worth it.

narlymech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#36 narlymech
Member since 2009 • 2132 Posts

Probably Doom. It's a solid shooter, but a bit repetitive.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 dynamitecop
Member since 2004 • 6395 Posts

From what I have played, Uncharted 4.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26649 Posts

Gonna have to go with Uncharted 4. Overwatch maybe a bit overrated, also.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18800 Posts

@Litchie: @WreckEm711:

How you too sound? So you never played it but proclaim UC4 overrated.

lol

KEND0_KAP0NI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41 KEND0_KAP0NI
Member since 2016 • 1231 Posts

If The IRON Giant was a game, it would have been fucking amazing.

KEND0_KAP0NI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42 KEND0_KAP0NI
Member since 2016 • 1231 Posts

@DragonfireXZ95 said:

Gonna have to go with Uncharted 4. Overwatch maybe a bit overrated, also.

Yeah Uncharted 4 was extremely lame and disappointing in all areas. Lame Story, kinda boring gameplay, uninteresting characters, few and tone down set pieces, extremely lame multiplayer with a ton of missing features modes and gameplay that U3 had.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44606 Posts

I'd say No Man's Sky, most early reviews were misleadingly favorible to one of the biggeat turds of the year.

I wouldn't be surprised either if Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is every bit as overrated as human Revolution.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#44  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34670 Posts

@PSP107: I said "probably" and that it looks lame. I know what kind of game it is. Stop being silly.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

Overwatch easily. Decent game but it gets old really fast.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

From what I've seen and heard, most definitely Uncharted 4. It sounds like they doubled down on what made the franchise horrible in the first place (pointless cinematic climbing/walking sections) despite improving the combat mechanics.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#47  Edited By Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

I can only speak from personal experience, I guess for me it's the Battlefield 1 campaign....not the entire game, because from what I played, multiplayer is awesome. But I had high expectations for the campaign, in part due to several glowing reviews I had read, but also because I had played it a little prior to buying it and felt it was awesome.

Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the campaign very much, but mostly because it looked and sounded great. I understand they wanted to have 5 separate stories and the main theme was the War, there was very little character development which would have been nice(for example with the squad in the Tank in the first mission). Overall however, the campaign has little substance. The CG cutscenes are great, but they are merely the equivalent of music videos. I know what they were going for and that's cool, again I'm not saying I didn't enjoy the campaign...I did, and will surely replay on higher difficulty when I get the chance.....but I felt it was overrated by the media, that's all.

It's a cool campaign but I would have a hard time recommending the game just for that part. If you just want the game for the campaign, I suggest you wait for a price drop. Multiplayer is still the main star of the show here.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I'm not even sure why Doom is here. The last time I listened to hype earlier this year, many said the MP demo that came out sucked. Some were even saying the game would be totally gimped and a pale imitation of the original, too slow, etc.

That's why I didn't buy it immediately after release. If there were glowing reviews, I would've bought it at Day 1.

If anything, Doom turned out better than expected.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

UC4. Why? Cos there is no perfect game.

Jagoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#50 Jagoff
Member since 2016 • 515 Posts

Even though I think it's the best game in the series, Uncharted 4.

With that said, I suppose it doesn't take much to deduct that I'm no real fan on the series. The original game is absolutely awful, and while 2 and 3 are tremendous improvements, they aren't nearly as great as some people like to paint them out to be.

With UC4, you have much needed mechanical improvements and additions to the gameplay that make it the most robust out of the four in this regard. But because the story has you chasing one red herring after another, the game is immeasurably guilty of wasting your time, going through hours of climbing and "exploration" that doesn't just grind the pacing to a near halt (especially towards the end), but also provide nothing new to the experience.

I don't want to knock on this game too hard because I did quite enjoy it at the time. I'm just genuinely perplexed as to how a game that literally offers nothing new or fresh to the table is greeted to praise that should be reserved to some all-time greats. It does nothing exceptional, aside from adding in a mechanical base that should have been there in the first place.