What was the last truly innovative Nintendo game?

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MarkAndExecute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 MarkAndExecute
Member since 2012 • 450 Posts

Meh. It's a dumb buzzword that Nintards like to toss around often.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#52 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

Wii sports. That was the only reason to buy the wii. Everything else was the same old stuff.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#53 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:

I know this has nothing to do with the topic, but finalstar never ceases to amaze me...

"Besides its seems like SF5 wouldnt have happened if it wasnt for Sony the same thing that Nintendo did to Bayonetta 2."

...Street Fighter 5 and its 20 iterations are only going to happen because of Sony. Stupid quota has been maxed out for today. Time to get some sleep and hopefully recover some brain cells.

He might not be wrong. Capcom wasn't giving Ono money for Street Fighter 5, Capcom is under the impression they can't get 2 million easy out of SF5, as I imagine some of their other fighting games did not do gangbusters, especially with the shady shit they tried to tie in. In a lot of ways it does sound like Sony is helping fund the game, much like Bayonetta 2, and in another way kind of like Titanfall.

Whether or not Super Street Fighter 5 is exclusive is up for debate, but general wording of what was said on stage and the press release gives you the impression that Sony is helping with the funding of the game. The PC version is probably something that was negotiated.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

@ConanTheStoner said:

I know this has nothing to do with the topic, but finalstar never ceases to amaze me...

"Besides its seems like SF5 wouldnt have happened if it wasnt for Sony the same thing that Nintendo did to Bayonetta 2."

...Street Fighter 5 and its 20 iterations are only going to happen because of Sony. Stupid quota has been maxed out for today. Time to get some sleep and hopefully recover some brain cells.

He might not be wrong. Capcom wasn't giving Ono money for Street Fighter 5, Capcom is under the impression they can't get 2 million easy out of SF5, as I imagine some of their other fighting games did not do gangbusters, especially with the shady shit they tried to tie in. In a lot of ways it does sound like Sony is helping fund the game, much like Bayonetta 2, and in another way kind of like Titanfall.

Whether or not Super Street Fighter 5 is exclusive is up for debate, but general wording of what was said on stage and the press release gives you the impression that Sony is helping with the funding of the game. The PC version is probably something that was negotiated.

Capcom is honestly fucking stupid. Street Fighter 4 sold 3.3 million in vanilla form last gen. Over all iterations it's probably well over 5 million. In what world would a new SF game not be able to reach 2 million? This is like the one franchise where they absolutely should not have made it exclusive. But from what we know, Finalstar is on the right track. It's just that Capcom are fucking dumb.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

@ActicEdge said:

@jg4xchamp said:

Capcom is honestly fucking stupid. Street Fighter 4 sold 3.3 million in vanilla form last gen. Over all iterations it's probably well over 5 million. In what world would a new SF game not be able to reach 2 million? This is like the one franchise where they absolutely should not have made it exclusive. But from what we know, Finalstar is on the right track. It's just that Capcom are fucking dumb.

Yeah, after posting that I read other posts saying the same and thought WHAT... THE... ****.

That's just ridiculous. I figured Finalstar was doing his typical "I'm not thinking logically, but Sony for life!" type deal at first, but wow...

Capcom must be doing some immensely stupid shit to have problems funding something as critically and commercially viable as Street Fighter.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#57 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

I suppose it would depend on what you find innovative. Innovative or not, Nintendo makes a lot of great software.

Avatar image for notorious1234na
Notorious1234NA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#58 Notorious1234NA
Member since 2014 • 1917 Posts

Nintendo =/= innovation

Sheep

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep

samusarmada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#59 samusarmada
Member since 2005 • 5816 Posts

Skyward Sword. The motion controls didn't always work, but they did add a new layer to sword-based combat that will probably be remembered as innovative whenever motion controls come back into vogue.

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Thunderdrone
Member since 2009 • 7154 Posts

Probably Nintendoland because of what they did with asymmetric multiplayer and the Gamepad?

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#61  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@ActicEdge said:

@jg4xchamp said:

To an extent, but I also think someone at Capcom is smart enough to know the value of Street Fighter to pony it off.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#62 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

@bunchanumbers said:

@bldgirsh said:

The one not on the vita. I like that one.

I also like that one where cows and lems cry because it isn't on their system.

Well to be fair, Sheep are missing quote a few games this gen, no?

My answer to the question would be OOT and that's not a slam on the platform either. The lock on system was truly innovative at the time and still used today.

Combat, speaking and exploring have all benefited from it.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Probably Mario Galaxy, but it's unclear what "truly innovative" means.

silkylove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#64 silkylove
Member since 2002 • 8579 Posts

Captain Toad

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#65 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Pikmin?

MarkAndExecute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 MarkAndExecute
Member since 2012 • 450 Posts

@stuff238 said:

Wii sports. That was the only reason to buy the wii. Everything else was the same old stuff.

Sports Champions >>>> Wii Sports >>>> Sheep diarrhea

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

@freedomfreak said:

@jg4xchamp said:

Oh they'll tell you Nintendo's funding and that magic bottle of "nintendo polish" is what really helped that game be unique in the first place.

Reminds me of some of the comments I read regarding Bayonetta 2. Same nonsense.

Poor Kamiya actually doing legit stuff with the gamepad, while Nintendo dropped it after Nintendoland.

Yo drives me insane, Nintendo helped make Bayonetta 2 gre....bitch **** you, Platinum would have made it great regardless. All Nintendo did was pay the bills. Shit is only more nauseating when people want Platinum scooped up, and shackled to fucking Nintendo. **** that, we need the ultimate mercenary developer to stay the ultimate mercenary developer. Before this gen is over I bet they'll have made an exclusive for every platform out there. PS4, X1, WiiU, Vita, Ios, Steam, The ngage 2, all of it.

Wait nintendo helped develop bayo 2? I thought it was a Sega and Platinum game... which is ironic. For all of the shit Miyamoto talks on Sega games, remember they were about to destroy Nintendo before Sony entered the arena. Now they welcome Sega games and try to get them exclusive.

Just imagine Miyamoto talking shit on Vanquish.... what a fool he'd be.

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

Well it was last week? I realize not a whole lot of games quite like dat OP captain toad.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52429 Posts
@X_CAPCOM_X said:

Wait nintendo helped develop bayo 2? I thought it was a Sega and Platinum game... which is ironic. For all of the shit Miyamoto talks on Sega games, remember they were about to destroy Nintendo before Sony entered the arena. Now they welcome Sega games and try to get them exclusive.

They funded the game.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

@freedomfreak said:
@X_CAPCOM_X said:

They funded the game.

Yeah I just read about it.The irony is pretty strong there.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#71  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58987 Posts

Wii fit.

It's also about the only console game (and it is a game) that benefits socaity.

All other console games are simply a cancer on time. Better off with pc gaming.

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#72 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

Super Mario 3D World - 4 player 3D platforming, creative new power ups, those puzzle levels that led to Captain Toad

Mario Kart 8 and Smash 4 are awesome but they really just improve on what already works.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

I think innovation is over rated.

This.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@Eikichi-Onizuka said:

Super Mario 3D World - 4 player 3D platforming, creative new power ups, those puzzle levels that led to Captain Toad

Mario Kart 8 and Smash 4 are awesome but they really just improve on what already works.

I think 8 player smash innovates the series.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#75 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19552 Posts

@ActicEdge said:

@jg4xchamp said:

@ConanTheStoner said:

Actually, if you combine all the versions, Street Fighter IV sold over 8 million units, almost 2.5 times the sales of the vanilla version.

While Street Fighter V is PS4 & PC exclusive (what about the arcades?), it's possible the X1 could get a Super/Ultra/Turbo/Gold/Alpha update, which would probably sell almost as much as the vanilla version.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@Jag85 said:

@ActicEdge said:

@jg4xchamp said:

@ConanTheStoner said:

Actually, if you combine all the versions, Street Fighter IV sold over 8 million units, almost 2.5 times the sales of the vanilla version.

While Street Fighter V is PS4 & PC exclusive (what about the arcades?), it's possible the X1 could get a Super/Ultra/Turbo/Gold/Alpha update, which would probably sell almost as much as the vanilla version.

This is probably the case. Sony is probably betting that the ps4 install base will get what it gets from the deal, becoming the premier fighting game console by then--which is likely why this was announced so early. Then Sony will also have the "upgrade" option vs buying a whole new game deal.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

Nintendo Land is technically innovative. The second screen stuff allowed for some unique gameplay mechanics.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44071 Posts

No innovation since ROB the robot and Duck Hunt. :P

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 ActicEdge

@jg4xchamp said:

@ActicEdge said:

@jg4xchamp said:

To an extent, but I also think someone at Capcom is smart enough to know the value of Street Fighter to pony it off.

See, this is what I think is happening. I can't really believe that SF isn't a viable franchise for them. Everything points in the other direction. I think they know that the brand is premier for fighters and if they only have to develop for one console while saving on dev costs it's better than fully funding it themselves and for 2 systems. It's still dishonesty though, the brand is top 3 for them financially with RE and Monster Hunter.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#80 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

The problem with the notion of innovation combined with Nintendo is that Nintendo is almost incapable of departing from their 20-30 year old mascots. They innovate in gameplay mechanics, but they keep these mechanics under the exact same pretense every time: MArio, Zelda, Mario, Starfox, Mario, Mario.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

I think the "whatever their last game is" talk is bullshit, but it's Captain Toad purely based on timing. That game is like nothing else.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 ActicEdge

@ConanTheStoner said:

Yeah, after posting that I read other posts saying the same and thought WHAT... THE... ****.

That's just ridiculous. I figured Finalstar was doing his typical "I'm not thinking logically, but Sony for life!" type deal at first, but wow...

Capcom must be doing some immensely stupid shit to have problems funding something as critically and commercially viable as Street Fighter.

No part of me actually believes that SF is having funding problems. It's a laughable proposition. I think Capcom management is stupid but they aren't this stupid. Something else is going on. It's fucking not possible for CC to tell me that can't sell 2 million copies of SF5 across 3 platforms when the last title did 8 million across all iterations.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29825 Posts

I don't know. I just like playing their first party games.

MikeHockbourns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 MikeHockbourns
Member since 2014 • 754 Posts

@bunchanumbers said:

@bldgirsh said:

The one not on the vita. I like that one.

I also like that one where cows and lems cry because it isn't on their system.

just like every good game not on nintendo because it's too weak to handle?

gta, rdr, mgs, and the thousand other games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#85 deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
Member since 2011 • 2103 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

**** if I know, I dislike the first game, but figured eh, i also disliked Mass Effect 1, Uncharted 1, God of War 1, lots of 1s are shit, but the sequels...or like the third game in the series (Resistance 3) end up being good. Figured eh, dismissing it would be unwise given that it actually does look different from the previous 2 games.

Inquisition is really good, but for me the combat kind of sucks. I don't know if you played Dragon Age 2 or liked the combat, but it's basically that, with some mixture of the first game, but imo a worse version of both of those. No healer anymore and you're limited to potions for healing, with camps to restock or supply crates in the more linear levels, so I don't know if that breaks anything you liked about the previous games.Tactical camera has a very limited range, pausing time and then transitioning characters for whatever reason unpauses it which gets pretty annoying. Story is pretty good I suppose, acting is great, dialogue is Bioware dialogue, so depends on if you like that lol. TONS of areas to explore and beautiful, expansive environments as well in my opinion. First area you unlock is one of the largest in terms of size and content with the others still being huge, just not as huge. Graphics are awesome though, I occasionally lag a lot when first loading an area, probably just my PC though. Companions in the game are somewhat interesting, I find them a bit underwhelming, but they're good nonetheless. Good to have returning characters as well, who in some ways are more interesting this time around. :P I hope that helps a bit.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#86 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

Is it Super Mario Galaxy? That's the only one I can think of that's pretty awesome and revolutionary. What do you think, SW?

Yes that was it. It pushed 3D platforms yet again. I cant think something else to call it innovative.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

Nintendoland is extremely innovative- you use different controllers and what controller you use changes your role and objectives in the games.

GamerNerdTalk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 1

#88 GamerNerdTalk
Member since 2011 • 341 Posts

Captain Toad Treasure tracker!!!!!!

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points