• 61 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll What Souls games have you played? (62 votes)

Demon's Souls (original) 61%
Dark Souls 71%
Dark Souls 2 65%
Dark Souls 3 63%
Bloodborne 68%
Sekiro: Shadow's Die Twice 45%
Nioh 53%
Nioh 2 31%
Demon's Souls (remake) 27%
Other (specify) 21%

I've beaten Demon's Soul (original), Dark Souls, Dark Souls 3, Bloodborne, and Nioh. I do have Sekiro, Nioh 2, and Demon's Souls remake in my backlog. Bloodborne is by far my favorite. What about you, SW? Feel free to include Souls like/inspired games.

• 
Jendeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#51 Jendeh
Member since 2004 • 735 Posts

Dark Souls Remastered. It was a good game, but ultimately I didn't really enjoy my time with it so have skipped all the others. I hesitate to say that they were too difficult. I think the description of punishing is better. Once you understand how to do something, then it's fine and you can handle almost all situations. Getting to that point is the hard part.

I gave it an honest shot, though. And I recognize that many others are enthralled with them. That's cool. I don't need to love every title out there.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#52 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts
@brimmul777 said:

None of them. Always held back for some reason.

There are thousands of people who held back for whatever reason, then tried any of them, and became massive fans in a matter of a day. You're missing out on something special.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#53 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6089 Posts

@hardwenzen: If I was to give it a first try,witch one would you recommend?

Thank You for the heads up.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#54 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

@brimmul777 said:

@hardwenzen: If I was to give it a first try,witch one would you recommend?

Thank You for the heads up.

If you have the option to play them all, i think Elden Ring is the best to get you into the Souls genre. If you're not a fan of BOTW kind of freedom or are not much into open world structure, Dark Soul 1 might be the game. Going from ER to DKS1, you will feel the clunkiness of the older Souls titles, but its just a matter of an hour or two of getting used to.

Avatar image for blackacezero777
blackacezero777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#55 blackacezero777
Member since 2021 • 353 Posts
@vatususreturns said:
@blackacezero777 said:

This is where I found that my like of the Soulsborne genre is within games that are not specifically tied to it, or just basically are not made by FromSoftware.

No. It just means you gave Fallen Order a bigger chance then proper souls game. From all you previous descriptions of souls games you pointed on them all "I played a bit, rushed through to it and didnt gave them a proper chance".

Actually no, you're taking one thing I said and generalizing my whole post. When I played NioH I did go into it with a clearer mindset and slowed down all the way with it, only thing was that I felt like I was playing something more akin to a chore. And if you didn't read what I said, I do have Code Vein and actually liked it, something that is closer to soulsborne games and I did watch through a full playthrough of The Surge which is what got me to try out the Soulsborne genre again because the story was interesting enough. I don't care for Soulsborne games, that's it, don't tell me what I gave a bigger chance with. I get everybody's so lovey-dovey with FromSoftware games, I'm just one that isn't.

blackacezero777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 blackacezero777

@vatususreturns: Scrap what I said previously, I'll try to be more fair to the series: I don't mind the Soulsborne genre as i do still have an interest in Bloodborne and have my eyes on Sekiro. The problem is the learning curve and overall the experience of these games. The last one I tried to give a fair shake to was NioH, and when I got up to the the first female boss and defeated her, I felt overwhelmed and like I have been playing a chore, the kind of feeling that kind of lingers on you and you play something else to cleanse your experience with the previous. When I watched The Surge, I was very interested in it, however I found playing it was a different beast. These games haven't "clicked" yet like JRPGs have. When I watched Persona 4 before playing it, it helped me to understand how to play JRPGs as a whole and I find that I have much success with each game I play in that genre, these I haven't. I would like to enjoy them as many others do, but I haven't found a proper introduction to the genre that can help with the game's learning curve.

Robbie23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Robbie23
Member since 2015 • 2078 Posts

I played and beat all of them including code vein, Surge 1 and 2 and Mortal Shell. Is it just me or is Dark souls 3 no where near as good as what people make it out to be? DS 1 was better in every way while DS 2 was pretty meh.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#58  Edited By tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

Dark Souls 1/2/3

Nioh

Sekiro

Mortal Shell

I plan on giving Nioh 2 a shot next time its on sale...

VatususReturns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#59 VatususReturns
Member since 2021 • 940 Posts

@blackacezero777 said:
@vatususreturns said:
@blackacezero777 said:

This is where I found that my like of the Soulsborne genre is within games that are not specifically tied to it, or just basically are not made by FromSoftware.

No. It just means you gave Fallen Order a bigger chance then proper souls game. From all you previous descriptions of souls games you pointed on them all "I played a bit, rushed through to it and didnt gave them a proper chance".

Actually no, you're taking one thing I said and generalizing my whole post. When I played NioH I did go into it with a clearer mindset and slowed down all the way with it, only thing was that I felt like I was playing something more akin to a chore. And if you didn't read what I said, I do have Code Vein and actually liked it, something that is closer to soulsborne games and I did watch through a full playthrough of The Surge which is what got me to try out the Soulsborne genre again because the story was interesting enough. I don't care for Soulsborne games, that's it, don't tell me what I gave a bigger chance with. I get everybody's so lovey-dovey with FromSoftware games, I'm just one that isn't.

Nioh isnt from From Soft and doesnt play like soulsborne either

blackacezero777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 blackacezero777

@vatususreturns: But it does have similar gameplay mechanics and is recognized as being part of that genre. Now I am willing to give a fair chance to the genre again before I completely write it off, if you have any guides, tips, advice, videos, etc. I will check them out.

VatususReturns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#61  Edited By VatususReturns
Member since 2021 • 940 Posts
@blackacezero777 said:

@vatususreturns: But it does have similar gameplay mechanics and is recognized as being part of that genre. Now I am willing to give a fair chance to the genre again before I completely write it off, if you have any guides, tips, advice, videos, etc. I will check them out.

Part of that genre and being similar gameplay wise are two different things. Nioh has stances, RNG loot, and very little weapon variety when compared to soulsborne. Its also level based instead of an interconnected world. The only similarities between the two are on the fact that when you die you have to recover souls (called amrita in Nioh) and the shrines act as bonfires. "Souls-like" is a vey broad genre. Just like Fallen Order did its thing with the souls formula, so did Nioh. But they are still very different from souls games in their own way. The only thing they borrowed from souls was in the design approach i.e. heavy penalties to death where you have sparse checkpoints to progress and loss of "souls" like currency

blackacezero777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 blackacezero777

@vatususreturns: Look, dude, for real: at the end of the day it is recognized to be under that genre and it is, to some extent, inspired from the genre. Heck, what sparked the discussion is literally games under that genre. What I am asking at this point, as I have stated in my second post is simple: I'm willing to learn how to play the games. Now if this is you giving me advice or tips on what makes them different and this can be a step to me understanding, then I am all ears and will allow you to continue explaining.